FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Democracy is Teetering"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Democracy is Teetering"
    Posted: March 16 2024 at 13:41
That is the headline of a rather thorough report/analysis in today's The Guardian about how extremist Republicans are trying to undermine democratic institutions and elections in Arizona, as just an example of a more widespread practice in the USA nowadays.
But it could be coming from within too, when a government - the French, i.c. - is undermining democratic procedures by abusing an old constitutional article - the infamous article 49.3 - to sideline parliamentary vote, knowing they wouldn't have a majority and despite the fact that a majority of the population is against those measures pushed through without vote. This has been done 23 times in less than two years.

Clearly, countries of "the West" don't need the be invaded anymore by aggressive other countries to see their democracies undermined and/or threatened. They're doing it from within. Where are we going? What can we do?

Edited by suitkees - March 16 2024 at 13:42

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 17:27
Vote.   

Beyond that, American Republicans are traitors.   There's no other rational conclusion--- not just the politicians, the registered Republicans, too, who continue to support a Fascist attempt at a criminal takeover of the U.S.   They should be prosecuted and imprisoned or expelled from the country.

Hey all American Right Wing conservatives out there: You think people don't see you for the sociopathic criminals you are ?   

We are coming for you.   All of you.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 17:50
Yeah, good question (@suitkees). I agree with you, but I don't have an answer.

Edited by Lewian - March 16 2024 at 17:51
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 18:03
As an American, I feel uneasy about these uncertain times. The RNC has been taken over by Trump loyalists, and it's devolved into a cult of one personality. Actual policies no longer defining conservatism.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 19:01
Democracy isn't working but then neither has anything else for a long time (or ever). The world is teetering. Wakey wakey time (or not).
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 19:08
For the most part, it's a DEM/GOP Uniparty.  Both parties are pro-war, avoid the 34 Trillion dollars in national debt, and work with large corporations to control everything.Wink
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 19:47
No doubt corruption and greed cross party lines. It makes sense that most people don't go into politics to help others. They go in for the attainment of power and placating their egos.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 20:16
How do Soros, Klaus, Gates, The Crown, The Catholic Church, the
WHO ,CIA WEF AIPAC UN the European black nobility,,
The federal reserve and more represent Democracy???

Represent democracy? Both Republican and Democrat
Parties are beholden to these entities that would toss
Democracy and The Rebublic out the window for a
New World Order comprised of cameras, zones, digital
Currency, agenda 2030. It’s all about a central dictatorship..

Out with the old… In with the new .

Any one of these agencies or entities
Have more control over the U.S. than any President

Ask JFK. He knew
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 20:51
"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. . . .Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. . . . In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

- Dwight D. Eisenhower, farewell address 1961

"They're heeeeeeere"

- Carol Ann from Poltergeist film, 1982

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 21:09
Eisenhower saw a thing…
He said this is sickening!

Iggy Pop.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 21:19
All of the left vs. right drama is designed to keep the angry divided frogs in the pot. So the chef can boil us up and not be blamed. I’ve had this opinion for many many years. The Trump vs. Biden thing has been working like a charm. Even Vivek was warning of this.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 21:54
Ah yes, when I want informed and thoughtful commentary I look to Vivek.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 22:34
I look to Iggy …
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 23:03
^ Iggy is the man, it's true -
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 23:17
For thoughtful commentary (seriously) look to Solzhenitsyn . Especially his later writings. I don’t debate politics online with music friends and only note opinions. Humanity has been hoodwinked since the beginning of time by very powerful and dangerous forces. We accept it as a means of survival. We tell ourselves all is well and it’s just normal. Pick a side… any side. Just be to work on time.

Edited by Valdez1 - March 16 2024 at 23:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 01:09
^ Or fight extremism and criminality where and whenever you can.   

You "don't debate politics online with music friends and only note opinions"?   Well: You're debating right now, we're not friends, and if you want to make a difference than stand up and take a stand.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 02:15
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

As an American, I feel uneasy about these uncertain times.

I don't think it is just Americans who feel uneasy.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 02:42
As a European who's part of a particular demographic that's a popular punching bag for the far right these days my thoughts tend to swing back and forth between "I must do my part in protecting Europe and its liberal democracy" and "f**k these hateful narrow-minded people, they don't deserve to be protected; I should either join my boyfriend in the United States or just go wherever things are relatively safe when the cataclysms start" but most often "everything is meaningless, nowhere is safe, nothing I can do matters, better to just not think about the future at all, have fun for as long as I can and have whatever happens happen to me".
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 05:22
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

That is the headline of a rather thorough report/analysis in today's The Guardian about how extremist Republicans are trying to undermine democratic institutions and elections in Arizona, as just an example of a more widespread practice in the USA nowadays.

Hi,

I really don't know, and I think that we're going to know even less. So there was a primary here in WA and only about a third of all the voters bothered showing up or scratching a piece of paper. The disconnect is too much, though the local paper thought that it was because people were "forced" to designate their affiliation to a Democratic or Republican group, and it is believed that a lot of people that did not wish to explain and had more independent feelings, decided to not bother with that determination. Thus the "small" turn out! (less than 33%), But this is something that many unsavory states do to make it look like they are being more with it and looking more attentive than otherwise. Instead, they shoo people away .... just what Dr. T ordered!

It's the scariest of things, though ... and a writer once said that the place that has the most freedoms, is the one that uses them the least! And here it is ... and in some states, it has a 35% of certain folks, but they only get elected like 10% of the time if that ... it's like they don't have a voice at all ... hard to believe these days in America!

I think what bothers me more is the cynicism around it all ... when folks here don't realize that in more than half, maybe even two thirds, you can't even vote for your local representative. 

The whole matrix is really scary but I am inclined to believe that the proliferation of the riches in the country to pay less taxes and get richer is one of the biggest problems ... and many of them are going around saying ... let them eat cake and then buy everything so they look like the biggest and richest around ... and in the end, they are no different than ... the show that gave us a really poor example of a boss that only had one redeeming factor ... he could say "you're fired" louder than all of us! AND ... the craziest thing? We thought it was cool!

Edited by moshkito - March 17 2024 at 05:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 06:32
^ There's an interesting special issue of Mother Jones on those predatory plutocrats:

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>