Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Democracy is Teetering"
    Posted: April 14 2024 at 11:55
Closing this thread as things, as usual when it comes to such topics, got heated and insulting and there have been complaints.

Here is a reminder of the Site Rules and Guidelines which everybody is expected to abide by: CLICK

Quote ...2. No Personal attacks (flaming or trolling). Keep it civil, show respect at all times for your fellow members. Disagreement, debate, even "heated" discussion is fine (though emoticons should be used to "soften" the effect of words). However, personally directed insults, denigration, etc. will not be tolerated, and will be grounds for warning and, if not stopped immediately, ejection. This applies equally to forum posts AND private messages. "Group-directed" insults and denigration (e.g., racism, sexism, ageism, etc.) also fall under this category, any such behaviour will be taken on a case by case basis. Any member who engages in continuous baiting, borderline insults, or other continuously "aggressive" behavior will be warned. Any member found to be using concurrent multiple personae (more than one profile at the same time) will be ejected from the site.

Quote 4. No Sniping. If you feel that someone has (i) baited or personally attacked you through the behaviours described in 1 or 2 above (whether in a thread or in a PM), do not engage that member in that thread, or reply to the PM. Instead, immediately send a PM to a forum moderator with details of (i) which member and (ii) which thread (please give the name of the thread, not the link) - or, if a PM, copy and paste in the text of the offending PM. The moderator will then determine what action needs to be taken (if any) and will reply to you. The moderators will try to reply to such incidents within 24 hours. In the meantime, please ignore that member and do not engage them in any way.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 12:08
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

^Maybe you forgot that you use Gish gallops as a debating technique? Wink
But often defeated with Brandolini's Law. Tongue
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:37
^ Indeed, it is...

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

When it comes to politics and culture, Le Monde and Wikipedia are left-leaning.
Hehe, saying that they are left leaning will probably be received as hilarious by many here in France. But well, if that is your opinion, it is your opinion. Just don't take it as a given...

Quote I did not ask you to prove that God does not exist.
I know, but apparently you didn't understand the analogy: it is impossible to prove the non-existence of something/anything. Maybe it would have less "disturbed" you if I'd said that I cannot prove that the Unicorn doesn't exist...

Quote The uni-party is a description of their voting and reporting behavior.
OK, thanks. This is at least some kind of a definition (not that I agree with it, but that's another thing).

Quote You mention quite a few publications. It would take me all day to provide evidence that all the publications you mention lean left and/or are uniparty.  CNBC is pure left.
Apparently, you discredit everything you label as "left". It has been apparent to me that you prefer to filter the information that comes to you by its correspondence to your own ideological bias. That's fine if you want to comfort your own ideas, but it is not very scientific (for someone who on more than one occasion - in several trheads here on PA in these last years - has claimed to be "scientific" in her approach of things).

Quote Some of the publications you mention are uni-party or what some folks call "controlled opposition".   That said, I can show lies in any publication you mention.  Choose the publication that you think is the most accurate, and I will provide evidence that that publication lies to benefit the left.
Oh, I leave the choice up to you, because I'm confident to be able to deconstruct your "evidence"...

Quote Please point out where I use deflection to obscure the main topic and explain how it is deflection.  It's easy to make an accusation. When I make an accusation, I provide an example and explain my logic.
Well, Covid-19, Taliban, Biden's supposed Alzheimer... Not that these topics could suscitate some discussion on teetering democracies, but it is mainly distracting attention, especially in the line of our last exchanges. See the Gish gallop remark above...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 10:36
^Maybe you forgot that you use Gish gallops as a debating technique? Wink
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 10:24
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

You are quoting Vox and Politico. They are biased uni-party publications.  If they aren't biased, you can surely show me positive articles by Vox or Politico that are pro-Trump. I can show you plenty of pro-Biden Vox and Politico articles.
Hmm, please, can you tell me what are "uni-party publications" and show me how can we be sure they are "uni-party publications"? I guess the Washington Post and the New York Times are falling into that same category in your world? Anyway, when you think that those media, who are known to verify their sources, fact-check their information are not reliable anymore because of their bias, then I think there would be no reason either to trust the media you seem to adhere to...
Quote If the publications you quote are factual then you should be able to supply links to pro-Trump material.
Yes, Vox and Politico are rather left leaning media outlets. Le Monde and Wikipedia are not (I also linked to those, remember?). But, having a - right or left leaning - bias doesn't necessarily mean to distort factual information. And that is what you did.

You know, I've been talking about media literacy before... If you cannot make the difference between factual information and opinion, then there is a lot of work to do. Bias is not necessarily discrediting the information: it can give a political/ideological reading of the information, but the information remains the same, as long as it is presented correctly (that is: distinguishing information from opinion!). What you did here is just giving false information about easily verifiable events.
Hence the importance of checking information through different sources and trying to distinguish the reliable - right leaning or left leaning - sources from those who distort information to propagate a specific narrative.

Quote Please, present your case that the DEM/GOP uni-party does not exist.

I can't, maybe in the same way that I cannot prove that God does not exist...

I can understand that you don't like how GOP and Democrats sometimes get to a consensus on "hot" things, but that is more about your stance on those things than about the collusion between those parties. IMO, it is quite normal in a democracy to come to some understanding across the lines. Maybe it is how representative democracies function and should function: finding consensus!

For ther rest: I don't mind if you're pro-Trump or anti-Biden. I do mind though when you misrepresent factual - and verifiable - information to propagate an ideology that I - indeed - don't share with you.

The rest of your post is a classic strategy of deflection of attention to side-topics - i.e. drowning the main topic - that might deserve their own discussion threads, but that are also drowned in prejudice, I think.

When it comes to politics and culture, Le Monde and Wikipedia are left-leaning.  Wikipedia is accurate with things like animals and sports scores. 

I did not ask you to prove that God does not exist. I put forth a voting record argument that suggests that the uni-party does exist. Of course, the politicians/media in the uni-party deny such a thing exists. Did you think that politicians/media would admit that they are uni-party?  The uni-party is a description of their voting and reporting behavior.    

You mention quite a few publications. It would take me all day to provide evidence that all the publications you mention lean left and/or are uniparty.  CNBC is pure left.  Some of the publications you mention are uni-party or what some folks call "controlled opposition".   That said, I can show lies in any publication you mention.  Choose the publication that you think is the most accurate, and I will provide evidence that that publication lies to benefit the left.  

Lies include lies by omission. For example, if the Media reports John killed Fred but neglected to report that Fred pulled a gun on John...that would be a lie by omission. 

Please point out where I use deflection to obscure the main topic and explain how it is deflection.  It's easy to make an accusation. When I make an accusation, I provide an example and explain my logic. Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 12 2024 at 10:26
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:49
Of course I know where you’re going … falsification could happen through making our financial system completely transparent. Follow the 35 trillion dollars. Show that politicians are not influenced by whoever it is that we are owing the money to.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:32
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ I never called it a “world government”. And I repeatedly said that I have a “suspicion”. I do not have conclusive evidence for anything specific, and I never claimed to. 
So how could your view, OK your suspicion, be falsified then?

Edited by Lewian - April 12 2024 at 09:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:30
^ I never called it a “world government”. And I repeatedly said that I have a “suspicion”. I do not have conclusive evidence for anything specific, and I never claimed to. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:25

The term "uniparty" is not clearly defined. Some use it in a very particular way, meaning GOP + democrats, excluding Trump. "Trump" vs. uniparty ... it's hilarious. 

I think it's much more reasonable to say, and I'm coming back to the point I have been consistently making, that all parties or persons that can rise to power are "in bed" with the group of people that the country owes 35 trillion dollars to. There's no other conceivable way, or if there is please do tell me. One corollary is that if this type of corruption exists on that level, then Trump is part of it. Has to be. I don't think that people who have this level of influence would let someone like Trump become president if it was not in their interest, or part of their plan. One simple reason would be the "good cop, bad cop" thing where you alternate between someone who is perceived as a good guy, cleaning up the mess, and a bad guy who everybody hates. All the problems can be blamed on the bad guy, and the good guy is not scrutinized too much because after all, he's much better than the bad guy and criticising him would help the bad guy, wouldn't it?
It looks to me that your view here is immune to falsification, because you can integrate whoever comes to power into it (so anyone rising to power can never disprove your point), and also you protest whenever something is apparently censored (in a certain place), but whenever anybody makes the case that all these things can still be said and found, you say something like "the world  government can tolerate all that because these things aren't really a threat to it". 

Similar things can probably be said about the uniparty theory. People who vote in a certain way "prove" in this way that they belong to the uniparty, and if they vote differently, they apparently don't belong there, but none of this implies that a uniparty actually exists and that the thing just isn't that people vote like they vote (and media write what they write and some see things one way and some another). 

Edited by Lewian - April 12 2024 at 09:32
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:17
^ That's possible too. You know, the world is not black or white...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:15
^ What if I’m anti-Trump and anti-Biden?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:07

You are quoting Vox and Politico. They are biased uni-party publications.  If they aren't biased, you can surely show me positive articles by Vox or Politico that are pro-Trump. I can show you plenty of pro-Biden Vox and Politico articles.
Hmm, please, can you tell me what are "uni-party publications" and show me how can we be sure they are "uni-party publications"? I guess the Washington Post and the New York Times are falling into that same category in your world? Anyway, when you think that those media, who are known to verify their sources, fact-check their information are not reliable anymore because of their bias, then I think there would be no reason either to trust the media you seem to adhere to...
Quote If the publications you quote are factual then you should be able to supply links to pro-Trump material.
Yes, Vox and Politico are rather left leaning media outlets. Le Monde and Wikipedia are not (I also linked to those, remember?). But, having a - right or left leaning - bias doesn't necessarily mean to distort factual information. And that is what you did.

You know, I've been talking about media literacy before... If you cannot make the difference between factual information and opinion, then there is a lot of work to do. Bias is not necessarily discrediting the information: it can give a political/ideological reading of the information, but the information remains the same, as long as it is presented correctly (that is: distinguishing information from opinion!). What you did here is just giving false information about easily verifiable events.
Hence the importance of checking information through different sources and trying to distinguish the reliable - right leaning or left leaning - sources from those who distort information to propagate a specific narrative.

Quote Please, present your case that the DEM/GOP uni-party does not exist.

I can't, maybe in the same way that I cannot prove that God does not exist...

I can understand that you don't like how GOP and Democrats sometimes get to a consensus on "hot" things, but that is more about your stance on those things than about the collusion between those parties. IMO, it is quite normal in a democracy to come to some understanding across the lines. Maybe it is how representative democracies function and should function: finding consensus!

For ther rest: I don't mind if you're pro-Trump or anti-Biden. I do mind though when you misrepresent factual - and verifiable - information to propagate an ideology that I - indeed - don't share with you.

The rest of your post is a classic strategy of deflection of attention to side-topics - i.e. drowning the main topic - that might deserve their own discussion threads, but that are also drowned in prejudice, I think.

Edited by suitkees - April 12 2024 at 09:09

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:54
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

The Twitter Files proved that the Democrat Party worked with Social Media companies to ban/censor opposing narratives and accounts.
Ah, another example of how misrepresentation becomes disinformation. The Twitter Files actually proved none of that. (See also Politico, Wired or, if you want it in French, Le Monde. This just shows how you want to push your (very) biased narrative by distorting facts, or that you haven't updated your "knowledge" yet. Again, asking social media companies to moderate and fight disinformation is not the same thing as imposing censorship. Do you understand the difference?

Then...
Quote Mainstream media is an extension of the Democrat party. CNBC hired and fired former Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel in just 24 hours. CNBC was bombarded by emails/phone calls from their listener base to fire McDaniel. CNBC viewers could not even tolerate a single GOP member on the network.
Letting aside what is "mainstream media", I think CNBC tries (or tried?) to be a serious news channel in the US, so it is not surprising that the hiring of Ronna McDaniel met with severe criticism from within: McDaniel has made many false and debunked claims about the 2020 election, considers the Jan. 6 Capitol attack as "legitimate political discourse" and clearly privileges her ideology over journalistic integrity and deontology. These are much more important considerations for not hiring her than the fact she's labeled "right wing". But maybe we don't share the same standards when it comes to journalistic integrity...?

Your Uni-Party mantra becomes a bit tedious, but it shows where you stand. Just some "further reading" for those who want:
Politico on the "Strange History of the Uniparty"
And this one really made me laugh; a pity that so many are buying into this crap... : The Trumpet, exposing the Uniparty.

Please, present your case that the DEM/GOP uni-party does not exist. I submit voting records. The Democrats vote in masse along with Republican uni-party members such as Senators- Linsey Graham, Mitch McConnell, and John Cornyn.  They vote for war, more money for Ukraine, and any legislation that allows the government to spy on American citizens.   The Republican uni-party talks about stopping the immigration flood across the border, but they do nothing to stem the tide.  They may vote to lower taxes by one percent.  Non-uniparty members such as Senator Rand Paul vote against Graham, McConnell, and Cornyn when it comes to funding wars and spying on Americans. 

See. I didn't quote a biased publication to make my case. If the publications you quote are factual then you should be able to supply links to pro-Trump material.  I do not love or hate Trump.  I look at what Trump did compared to Biden.  Inflation was lower under Trump. Trump did not start any new wars.  Trump slowed the flood of illegal immigration across the border. I see my grocery bill twice as high under Biden than Trump. 

Do I have criticisms of Trump? You bet.  Trump did not stop censorship. He allowed the government to work with Facebook, Google, and Twitter to sensor American citizens and politicians. Trump fired missiles at the Syrian airport. Trump supported the COVID-19 vax even though it had not been tested...except on several mice. 

Did Biden undo the things that Trump did? No. Under Biden, censorship increased, more war, and Biden accelerated Trump's Covid policies. Biden opened the borders to more than seven million illegal aliens. Inflation went through the roof under Biden. 

Under Biden, the Taliban ended up with 85 billion dollars of American military equipment, sent over 100 billion dollars of aid/military equipment to Ukraine, and Biden keeps giving Israel bombs so that Israel can genocide Palestine.  Biden said if Iran retaliates against Israel's bombing of Iran's embassy...then the US will support Israel's counterstrikes on Iran. How many countries are in Biden's war game?  Ukraine, Israel, Russia, Yemen, Lebanon, Egypt, Iran, and Syria among others. 

Plus Biden has Alzheimer's.  The leader of the most powerful country in the world speaks word-salad baby babble. Biden can't find the exit and he thinks dead people are still alive...because he can't remember.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 12 2024 at 07:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:42
The term "uniparty" is not clearly defined. Some use it in a very particular way, meaning GOP + democrats, excluding Trump. "Trump" vs. uniparty ... it's hilarious. 

I think it's much more reasonable to say, and I'm coming back to the point I have been consistently making, that all parties or persons that can rise to power are "in bed" with the group of people that the country owes 35 trillion dollars to. There's no other conceivable way, or if there is please do tell me. One corollary is that if this type of corruption exists on that level, then Trump is part of it. Has to be. I don't think that people who have this level of influence would let someone like Trump become president if it was not in their interest, or part of their plan. One simple reason would be the "good cop, bad cop" thing where you alternate between someone who is perceived as a good guy, cleaning up the mess, and a bad guy who everybody hates. All the problems can be blamed on the bad guy, and the good guy is not scrutinized too much because after all, he's much better than the bad guy and criticising him would help the bad guy, wouldn't it?

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:14

The Twitter Files proved that the Democrat Party worked with Social Media companies to ban/censor opposing narratives and accounts.
Ah, another example of how misrepresentation becomes disinformation. The Twitter Files actually proved none of that. (See also Politico, Wired or, if you want it in French, Le Monde. This just shows how you want to push your (very) biased narrative by distorting facts, or that you haven't updated your "knowledge" yet. Again, asking social media companies to moderate and fight disinformation is not the same thing as imposing censorship. Do you understand the difference?

Then...
Quote Mainstream media is an extension of the Democrat party. CNBC hired and fired former Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel in just 24 hours. CNBC was bombarded by emails/phone calls from their listener base to fire McDaniel. CNBC viewers could not even tolerate a single GOP member on the network.
Letting aside what is "mainstream media", I think CNBC tries (or tried?) to be a serious news channel in the US, so it is not surprising that the hiring of Ronna McDaniel met with severe criticism from within: McDaniel has made many false and debunked claims about the 2020 election, considers the Jan. 6 Capitol attack as "legitimate political discourse" and clearly privileges her ideology over journalistic integrity and deontology. These are much more important considerations for not hiring her than the fact she's labeled "right wing". But maybe we don't share the same standards when it comes to journalistic integrity...?

Your Uni-Party mantra becomes a bit tedious, but it shows where you stand. Just some "further reading" for those who want:
Politico on the "Strange History of the Uniparty"
And this one really made me laugh; a pity that so many are buying into this crap... : The Trumpet, exposing the Uniparty.

Edited by suitkees - April 12 2024 at 07:22

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 05:28
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ thanks for completing the troll cycle. Good boy!
Just like Hugues, any truth deniers when challenged to produce facts for their arguments resort to name calling and slander. Any means possible are utilized in their efforts to protect their false narratives and opinions. And they are the sole threat to democracies. Thank you for being a wonderful example of that. You and your kind have made my case.

The only troll I see is the one making allusions to Deep States and placing Zelensky inside the EC (of which you're not a part of) or in front of its flag. Just your avatar and signature indicate you're a troll. 

Whether Mike is one is another issue (I doubt it), but certainly not more so than you.  

But you really don't "see" it, right?? (and I'm not making fun of your vision impairment here) 
My reaction to you about denial and democracy dangers was obvious in reaction to your signature 

Just because you have nothing better to do in your retired or disabled life than trolling on PA doesn't mean that active workers can spend the same time answering your trollic demands.

This is too easy. Another post to add to my argument.   

Edited by SteveG - April 12 2024 at 05:39
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 05:25

^ thanks for completing the troll cycle. Good boy!
Just like Hugues, any truth deniers when challenged to produce facts for their arguments resort to name calling and slander. Any means possible are utilized in their efforts to protect their false narratives and opinions. And they are the sole threat to democracies. Thank you for being a wonderful example of that. You and your kind have made my case.

The only troll I see is the one making allusions to Deep States and placing Zelensky inside the EC (of which you're not a part of) or in front of its flag. Just your avatar and signature indicate you're a troll. 

Whether Mike is one is another issue (I doubt it), but certainly not more so than you.  

But you really don't "see" it, right?? (and I'm not making fun of your vision impairment here) 
My reaction to you about denial and democracy dangers was obvious in reaction to your signature 

Just because you have nothing better to do in your retired or disabled life than trolling on PA doesn't mean that active workers can spend the same time answering your trollic demands.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 05:18

^ I like how it totally escaped you that I already presented sufficient information to make my case. You're not the one to decide how much information I need to present, and neither of us decides what it takes for anyone viewing this conversation to be convinced. If to you me calling you a troll is slander, then I guess we're even based on what has happened in this thread and others.
I asked you specifically about the Democratic party. Not about your past opinions regarding other parties or systems. Excellent deflection, btw. Another ploy to be added to my argument.

The Twitter Files proved that the Democrat Party worked with Social Media companies to ban/censor opposing narratives and accounts.  I'd say that's Orwellian.  That said, several GOP politicians and media people (Ben Shapiro)  attempted to ban/censor narratives/groups that oppose Israel's alleged genocide of Gaza. Shapiro fired Candace Owens for Owens criticizing Israel for killing thousands of Palestinian women and children. Shapiro's Daily Wire company probably ate a few million dollars of Owen's three-year contract in the process. 

Mainstream media is an extension of the Democrat party. CNBC hired and fired former Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel in just 24 hours. CNBC was bombarded by emails/phone calls from their listener base to fire McDaniel. CNBC viewers could not even tolerate a single GOP member on the network. Even so, McDaniel is a member of the DEM/GOP uni-party.  McDaniel sabotaged non-uni-party 2020 GOP Congressional candidates. 

FOX is the uni-party voice of the GOP. FOX fired Tucker Carlson after Carlson ventured off the uni-party reservation. Blackrock may have pressured FOX after Blackrock bought 15.1% of FOX stock. Carlson got fired within a month after Blackrock purchased FOX stock. 

GOP uni-party members may talk about lowering taxes a percent and they talk a big game on immigration.  But they vote in a solid block with the Democrats on anything pro-war war and spying on Americans...anything not good for regular Americans.Wink 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 12 2024 at 05:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 04:49
^ I'm not obliged to answer all your questions. I've also posted the parody video by JP which, while exaggerating for comedic effect, raises many points specifically about the democratic party. Take your pick. Or continue pretending that my refusal to jump through your hoops automatically makes you the "winner".
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 04:42

^ I like how it totally escaped you that I already presented sufficient information to make my case. You're not the one to decide how much information I need to present, and neither of us decides what it takes for anyone viewing this conversation to be convinced. If to you me calling you a troll is slander, then I guess we're even based on what has happened in this thread and others.
I asked you specifically about the Democratic party. Not about your past opinions regarding other parties or systems. Excellent deflection, btw. Another ploy to be added to my argument.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>