Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ugliest covers of otherwise great albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 17:44
^ i just look at it as a totally different beast with no need to compare to past efforts. As a stand alone it works for me. I realize not everyone feels the same :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 18:04
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

It's always funny when someone comes along and trashes a legitimate masterpiece. It's fine to say "it's not for me", but to call it "mediocre" is simply revealing a lack of experience and/or objectivity, with a little bit of hubris on top.

As Wikipedia puts it: "The Wall is one of the best-known concept albums. With over 30 million copies sold, it is the second best-selling album in the band's catalogue (behind 1973's The Dark Side of the Moon), the best selling double-album of all time, and one of the best-selling albums of all time overall."
Aside from the disco-music-based song that was (is) the biggest hit from the album, "The Wall" has too many theatrical moments for Pink Floyd, IMO.

It's a rock opera. It's supposed to be theatrical. 

I am well aware that it is a concept album. Though, as a fan of Pink Floyd, I don't think that dramatic rock opera is the kind of material that matches the band well. There are just too many theatrical songs, such as "Vera," "Nobody Home," "Bring the Boys Back Home," and so on. Pink Floyd is not The Who, and Roger Waters is not the rock opera master Pete Townshend, who wrote "Tommy" (actually twice; the original 1969 album, and five years later he rewrote the complete opera for the Tommy Soundtrack) and "Quadrophenia," which, both on their own, could have been called the perfect 2-LP rock operas. Unlike "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia," whose duration goes by in a flash, "The Wall" is too elephantine and really mediocre, and the mediocre sleeve design only reinforces the impression of the album's mediocrity. Waters is far too dominant on the album, which is basically his offspring; the entire thing is told in a whiny, life-story-telling style by Waters, which only makes the album mundane and dull. 
Isn't it bitter that "Comfortably Numb," composed by David Gilmour, is the far-best song on "The Wall"? It's the fact that Gilmour hasn’t written many songs at all for Pink Floyd since 1972. The album is indeed boring and uninteresting, mostly due to Waters' overpowering presence, and "The Wall" could have been far better as a single LP. Probably then "The Wall" could have been in the rank of "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!"—the nice concept album by Jethro Tull that was released three years before "The Wall."

The fact that Roger Waters has something "big" to say is another aspect of the issue. Because of this, he occasionally pushes the music to the back burner in favour of using it to air his complaints and express his rather pathetic beliefs. "The Wall," Waters' "child," amounted to nothing more than a two-faced justification for exaggerated self-pity. 

There are a few infrequent, lighter moments, like the unexpected smash single "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2." Except for that disco-music-based song and David Gilmour's "Comfortably Numb," there isn't any real excitement on the record that was once supposed to be a great rock opera by Pink Floyd. It has way too many words, a single tempo, and very few instrumental sections. The narrative tends to veer off course and is too cryptic to make any kind of sense. Not to mention that "The Wall" is deemed to be quite badly constructed when compared to the band's best moments.

It's clear that the live CD "Is There Anybody Out There?" is the better choice because it effectively conveys the spirit of Pink Floyd more than the studio version.

Edited by Moyan - April 11 2024 at 18:11
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 18:14
I don't care how others rate Pink Floyd's The Wall, I love it, think it's a masterpiece in its own right, and it has meant more to me than any The Who album (and I used to love The Who). The gatefold sleeve is something that appealed to me when I was a child (found it quite naughty like a Mad magazine) -- I don't usually care much about cover art, but I liked to draw that cover in high school (I am not a great artist but I could do that well with a ruler and pencil). I like its uniqueness in Pink Floyd's discography, is the last Pink Floyd album I care about, and I think Pink Floyd has many excellent albums. It isn't an album I play much now, but that's because I know it so very well. When I got into certain moods in my younger adulthood, this was perfect:

Edited by Logan - April 11 2024 at 18:25
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 08:39

It's clear that the live CD "Is There Anybody Out There?" is the better choice because it effectively conveys the spirit of Pink Floyd more than the studio version.

I agree with this. I like that live album better than the studio version of The Wall. The one thing that live album did for me that I had not really noticed in the past was that Rick Wright's contributions to the Pink Floyd sound are more significant than I had initially realized. I don't think Rick gets the credit he deserves, not necessarily for the songwriting, but his contribution to the their overall sound.

I also tend to agree with some of your other comments. Rock operas are wordy beasts and sometimes they need to breathe with extended instrumental sections. That's something I wish they had done with The Wall. Sure, they could've scaled it back to one LP, but that doesn't make it any less dense. It just needed less words and more instrumental sections that duplicated the emotions they wanted to present. My major criticism with Waters is I feel he could get his points off better by being more concise. He had a pretty good track record of that up until The Wall. Having said that, I too have similar faults and regret some of the pieces of music I've made in my past. It's a fine line determining on how much is too much.

But hey, this might just be me. I have similar issues with The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. And lots of people love that album too.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:54
^ I have loved The Wall and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway has been by far the most important album released by Genesis to me -- Trespass is my second favourite. It was searching for (to discover its identity) the short instrumental "Hairless Heart" which I heard playing in a playhouse bar in the 90s that led to me really exploring Prog on the internet.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 13:00

I am well aware that it is a concept album. Though, as a fan of Pink Floyd, I don't think that dramatic rock opera is the kind of material that matches the band well. There are just too many theatrical songs, such as "Vera," "Nobody Home," "Bring the Boys Back Home," and so on. Pink Floyd is not The Who, and Roger Waters is not the rock opera master Pete Townshend, who wrote "Tommy" (actually twice; the original 1969 album, and five years later he rewrote the complete opera for the Tommy Soundtrack) and "Quadrophenia," which, both on their own, could have been called the perfect 2-LP rock operas. Unlike "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia," whose duration goes by in a flash, "The Wall" is too elephantine and really mediocre, and the mediocre sleeve design only reinforces the impression of the album's mediocrity. Waters is far too dominant on the album, which is basically his offspring; the entire thing is told in a whiny, life-story-telling style by Waters, which only makes the album mundane and dull. 
Isn't it bitter that "Comfortably Numb," composed by David Gilmour, is the far-best song on "The Wall"? It's the fact that Gilmour hasn’t written many songs at all for Pink Floyd since 1972. The album is indeed boring and uninteresting, mostly due to Waters' overpowering presence, and "The Wall" could have been far better as a single LP. Probably then "The Wall" could have been in the rank of "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!"—the nice concept album by Jethro Tull that was released three years before "The Wall."

The fact that Roger Waters has something "big" to say is another aspect of the issue. Because of this, he occasionally pushes the music to the back burner in favour of using it to air his complaints and express his rather pathetic beliefs. "The Wall," Waters' "child," amounted to nothing more than a two-faced justification for exaggerated self-pity. 

There are a few infrequent, lighter moments, like the unexpected smash single "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2." Except for that disco-music-based song and David Gilmour's "Comfortably Numb," there isn't any real excitement on the record that was once supposed to be a great rock opera by Pink Floyd. It has way too many words, a single tempo, and very few instrumental sections. The narrative tends to veer off course and is too cryptic to make any kind of sense. Not to mention that "The Wall" is deemed to be quite badly constructed when compared to the band's best moments.

After all these years, someone finally puts into words just why The Wall has never completely resonated with this listener, despite enjoying most of the band's other albums. Thank you for saying it best!

I should mention my "far-best song" on the album has always been the really exciting "Run Like Hell".
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 13:14
He simply dislikes RW.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 09:39
North America
Europe
I've always loved this ELO album, one of their best, but what a dorky cover! When I first got it I thought it was an ok band pic, but then my friend looked at it and said "What's with the belly-buttons?" I totally missed that! I've never seen the European cover in person, but it seems to be better than the North American version. Still, one of the least impressive Hipgnosis covers and that photo of Jeff is so blurry!

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 15:01
^I can understand that. The bellybuttons cover always makes me laugh. LOL
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 11:45

Didn't know this one but I laughed my a** off. Especially given the fact that Steve Howe is a great guitarist.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314