Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The AOR-side of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 18:15
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not suggesting these because I think them good, although I quite like Presto.

Rush - Presto
ELP - Black Moon and In the Hot Seat
It Bites - Once Around the World
Rose - A Taste of Neptune (tastes better than Jupiter, Saturn, or Uranus I suppose)

Edited by presdoug - April 29 2024 at 18:43
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 18:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Rose - A Taste of Neptune (tastes better than Jupiter, Saturn, or Uranus I suppose)

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 17:08
I tend to be a huge AOR fan and find it to be prog related.  I am a fan of most of the aforementioned bands: Journey, Boston, REO, Chicago, Journey, Asia, Toto, etc.  In recent years (meaning the last couple of decades), Sweden has had a number of newer Prog-lite/AOR bands releasing albums.  I am a fan of bands such as Work of Art, Eclipse, and W.E.T. (a "supergroup consisting of members of Work of Art, Eclipse, and Talisman).  W.E.T. and Talisman had Jeff Scott Soto as vocalist.  Houston is another good Swedish AOR band.

Other good bands are AOR and Mecca.

A couple of older British AOR bands that I really enjoy are FM and Strangeways. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 23:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^I would agree with you if you said Point of Know Return or Audio Visions but imo Leftoverture is pure prog.

All their first 5 albums are pure prog but to my ears only the first 2 are symphonic in the English tradition that they were being influenced by. Masque was the start of a shorter more commercial based approach. Generally I only listen to their first 2 albums in their entiriety and the last 3 albums. 

On this thread generally people are including crossover bands as well as AOR bands so it's a bit messy anyway.

Most would accept Asia's debut is AOR but is there such a massive difference between that and Leftoverture? Take out Magnum Opus (which personally I find a little weak) and I don't see that much. I do like Kansas and count them as a favourite band (more so than say Gentle Giant) so it's not about trying to put them down in any way. They were certainly one of the best American bands (AOR can also mean American Orientated Rock) along with Chicago and The Tubes. IMO
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 00:02
The Belgian band Now, fronted by guitarist and singer Vincent Fis, was arguably the finest AOR-prog band on the continent in the late 1980s and early 1990s. They created strong, dynamic AOR-prog, a fashionable fusion of the U.S.-style hard-rock and British neo-prog. This four-piece ensemble, which featured a lady as well, sounds incredibly colourful, intricate, and lyrical in that AOR-prog kind of way. "Deep" is their third and final album, released in 1992. The album has five songs, one of which is a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir''. Really, that cover is quite excellent and proggy. And Vincent Fis has incredible guitar skills. After this record, Now disbanded, and its talented keyboard player, Hervé Borbé, joined the venerable Belgian band Machiavel.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 04:17
^ Good call regarding Now, but I would rather refer to their first album: Complaint of the Wind; this one is much more AOR-ish then Speres or Deep, which are much more full blown (Neo) Prog. Deep is their best album though.

Really nice how this thread unfolds: many great suggestions. Many known and usual suspects, but also some bands that are - to me - lesser known or not known at all. Some more music to explore, thus.
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I was listening to Demon - The Plague today. I think that might count. Maybe a bit on the harder side of rock.

Never really dived into the music of Demon (mainly heard bits of them back in the 80s) but this is a very enjoyable album indeed! Thanks.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 09:52
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

The Belgian band Now, fronted by guitarist and singer Vincent Fis, was arguably the finest AOR-prog band on the continent in the late 1980s and early 1990s. They created strong, dynamic AOR-prog, a fashionable fusion of the U.S.-style hard-rock and British neo-prog. This four-piece ensemble, which featured a lady as well, sounds incredibly colourful, intricate, and lyrical in that AOR-prog kind of way. "Deep" is their third and final album, released in 1992. The album has five songs, one of which is a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir''. Really, that cover is quite excellent and proggy. And Vincent Fis has incredible guitar skills. After this record, Now disbanded, and its talented keyboard player, Hervé Borbé, joined the venerable Belgian band Machiavel.

I own/like this band (a pity they folded), but Deep isn't AOR.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 10:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^I would agree with you if you said Point of Know Return or Audio Visions but imo Leftoverture is pure prog.

All their first 5 albums are pure prog but to my ears only the first 2 are symphonic in the English tradition that they were being influenced by. Masque was the start of a shorter more commercial based approach. Generally I only listen to their first 2 albums in their entiriety and the last 3 albums. 

On this thread generally people are including crossover bands as well as AOR bands so it's a bit messy anyway.

Most would accept Asia's debut is AOR but is there such a massive difference between that and Leftoverture? Take out Magnum Opus (which personally I find a little weak) and I don't see that much. I do like Kansas and count them as a favourite band (more so than say Gentle Giant) so it's not about trying to put them down in any way. They were certainly one of the best American bands (AOR can also mean American Orientated Rock) along with Chicago and The Tubes. IMO

"Magnum Opus" is good but I've always liked the rest of the album tons more, especially "Cheyenne Anthem" and "Miracles Out of Nowhere," which along with "Carry on Wayward Son" are what drop a vast sea between Leftoverture and Asia.

I'm a fan of all the guys in Asia (original 4tet), but let's be honest, they set out to make an airplay-centric melodic rock record with no shortage of potential singles. It's nowhere near U.K. territory. The arrangements are polished but formulaic. The melodies are good, the playing is finessed but they never tear it up. After his stellar playing on Drama. Downes sounds incredibly restrained, if by his own design.

OTOH, Leftoverture is a chops fest, though a very tastefully rendered one. Kerry Livgren's one of my favorite musical entities, the guy could exhale on his strings and it'd probably sound good. Kansas made five extraordinary (prog) albums in a row, which is no mean feat for any band.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 10:31
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

I own/like this band (a pity they folded), but Deep isn't AOR.
Instead of asking for some pure AOR, the original poster actually asked for "the AOR side of Prog." That's the reason I posted "Deep" by Now; in my opinion, its sound is somewhere in between AOR and Neo Prog, akin to the "White" CD that I discussed in my first post on this thread.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 11:05
Pictures was an Italian band that released only one album in the second half of the 1990s, indicating that their career was probably relatively short. The 1997 release of "Painting the Blue" by Musea Records featured what could be considered AOR-prog music. Indeed, its music has every characteristic of that subgenre: bright synth sounds, engaging songs with outstanding vocals and a very melodic manner, distinctive, often heavy guitar riffs, and gorgeous solos that were performed with finesse. The songs aren't very complicated, but they were sung with a lot of heart.

Criswell View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Criswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 12:58
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I was listening to Demon - The Plague today. I think that might count. Maybe a bit on the harder side of rock.

As far as the REO Speedwagon of prog, that's got to be Moon Safari.

I went to university in Champaign, Illinois USA (University of Illinois), where REO Speedwagon had their origin!!  In those years (1973-77), Champaign was renowned for our bands!!  REO used to play street dances and local gigs at bars, they were very popular with the students and "townies!"  A movie about that era was made, see https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHPP_EmL2qDHm4egl4K9v_Xen7WopVoq

The original vocalist for REO, Terry Luttrell, left REO and eventually ended up as vocalist for the Yes-like band "Starcastle!"  Starcastle were HUGELY popular in Champaign back then, and their first LP had constant rotation on college radio!!   They were an amazingly energetic and charismatic band, playing all sorts of covers by Rolling Stones, Elton John and others as well as their originals!  

BTW, I don't consider them a "Yes-Clone," their vocalization style was very much influenced by Flash vs. Yes.   Gary Strater helped to give them that Yes sound with his Rickenbacker-Squire style, and keyboardist Herb Schildt was a master of the Hammond organ!!  These were rather rare instruments for bar bands in those years. 

Adrian Belew spent a few years here also (I've been a Champaign native since 1984). He's claimed that his band The Bears were born in Champaign. He always made it a point to swing his tours through town.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 13:19
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 21:51

"Magnum Opus" is good but I've always liked the rest of the album tons more, especially "Cheyenne Anthem" and "Miracles Out of Nowhere," which along with "Carry on Wayward Son" are what drop a vast sea between Leftoverture and Asia.

I'm a fan of all the guys in Asia (original 4tet), but let's be honest, they set out to make an airplay-centric melodic rock record with no shortage of potential singles. It's nowhere near U.K. territory. The arrangements are polished but formulaic. The melodies are good, the playing is finessed but they never tear it up. After his stellar playing on Drama. Downes sounds incredibly restrained, if by his own design.

OTOH, Leftoverture is a chops fest, though a very tastefully rendered one. Kerry Livgren's one of my favorite musical entities, the guy could exhale on his strings and it'd probably sound good. Kansas made five extraordinary (prog) albums in a row, which is no mean feat for any band.

When I first listened to Kansas I just didn't get the same feeling for Leftoverture that I had for much classic prog. I would maintain that like Asia's debut it is very restrained and is looking towards commercial radio. Side 2 of the Asia album matches the best material that you named on Leftoverture. Wildest Dreams is pure prog and I love Downes outro on Cutting It Fine , one of the best ever for me.  I think they do 'tear it up' on those tracks. Add to that Sole Survivor and Time and Time Again and it has some good proggy nods. Perhaps Monolith is a better comparison but I find that album quite barren creatively. Of course Asia never matched the brilliance of Kansas re Song For America but then later Kansas never matched that either (IMO). I actually enjoy the last few albums a lot and they sound better to my ears than mid seventies (75-77) Kansas. I would also add Somewhere To Elsewhere as one of the best comeback albums by any classic prog or rock band. Steve Walsh's last contribution to Kansas but sublime nevertheless. I saw the band at Shepherds Bush Empire in London around that time and they cooked on gas. People were doing the whole 'we are not worthy' in Walsh's direction!
BTW I saw Asia there as well a few years later and the place was packed to the rafters. Another great gig and they played all of their debut. Good memories. 

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 22:48
Originally posted by Criswell Criswell wrote:

As far as the REO Speedwagon of prog, that's got to be Moon Safari.

I went to university in Champaign, Illinois USA (University of Illinois), where REO Speedwagon had their origin!!  In those years (1973-77), Champaign was renowned for our bands!!  REO used to play street dances and local gigs at bars, they were very popular with the students and "townies!"  A movie about that era was made, see https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHPP_EmL2qDHm4egl4K9v_Xen7WopVoq

The original vocalist for REO, Terry Luttrell, left REO and eventually ended up as vocalist for the Yes-like band "Starcastle!"  Starcastle were HUGELY popular in Champaign back then, and their first LP had constant rotation on college radio!!   They were an amazingly energetic and charismatic band, playing all sorts of covers by Rolling Stones, Elton John and others as well as their originals!  

BTW, I don't consider them a "Yes-Clone," their vocalization style was very much influenced by Flash vs. Yes.   Gary Strater helped to give them that Yes sound with his Rickenbacker-Squire style, and keyboardist Herb Schildt was a master of the Hammond organ!!  These were rather rare instruments for bar bands in those years. 

Adrian Belew spent a few years here also (I've been a Champaign native since 1984). He's claimed that his band The Bears were born in Champaign. He always made it a point to swing his tours through town.

Indeed!  Adrian convinced Bob Fripp and King Crimson to relocate to Champaign for a while!  It's a very nice town (I spent enough time there, 1973-77 and more).  Please see:

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 12:07

When I first listened to Kansas I just didn't get the same feeling for Leftoverture that I had for much classic prog. I would maintain that like Asia's debut it is very restrained and is looking towards commercial radio. Side 2 of the Asia album matches the best material that you named on Leftoverture. Wildest Dreams is pure prog and I love Downes outro on Cutting It Fine , one of the best ever for me.  I think they do 'tear it up' on those tracks. Add to that Sole Survivor and Time and Time Again and it has some good proggy nods. Perhaps Monolith is a better comparison but I find that album quite barren creatively.

I don't disagree that Monolith is lacking. To me it sounds unfinished, rushed. There are good ideas, as always, but it needed more polishes, more refinement.

I must confess you're the only guy I've known to bring a Leftoverture-Asia comparison to the table. One thing we'll agree on is "Cutting it Fine" is probably the best song on the latter.

Apart from that, I don't hear how Side 2 is better than that of Leftoverture, but we'll just leave it there. "Cheyenne Anthem," to me, is one of Livgren's finest moments as a composer. I think it's brilliant.

I'd sooner compare the album Kansas brought out the same year, Vinyl Confessions, but that might also be a mismatch since, while not a concept album, there's an overt theme.

Ofcourse Asia never matched the brilliance of Kansas re Song For America but then later Kansas never matched that either (IMO). I actually enjoy the last few albums a lot and they sound better to my ears than mid seventies (75-77) Kansas. I would also add Somewhere To Elsewhere as one of the best comeback albums by any classic prog or rock band. Steve Walsh's last contribution to Kansas but sublime nevertheless.

Please give Freaks of Nature another go. I think it's overlooked. It's unique in that has a darker vibe and Williams is the sole guitarist. "Desperate Times" and "Cold Grey Morning" (a pure Livgren piece, though he's not on the album) are worth the price of admission.

I saw the band at Shepherds Bush Empire in London around that time and they cooked on gas. People were doing the whole 'we are not worthy' in Walsh's direction!
BTW I saw Asia there as well a few years later and the place was packed to the rafters. Another great gig and they played all of their debut. Good memories.

Indeed!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 12:10

Indeed!  Adrian convinced Bob Fripp and King Crimson to relocate to Champaign for a while!  It's a very nice town (I spent enough time there, 1973-77 and more).  Please see:

Yes!

altered_beast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altered_beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 19:22
Tears for Fears-The Hurting
Toto-IV
Fates Warning-Parallels
The Police-Reggatta de Blanc
China Crisis-Flaunt the Imperfection
Talk Talk-The Colour of Spring
Triumph-Surveillance
Queensryche-Empire
Alan Parsons Project-Turn of a Friendly Card
Al Stewart-Time Passages
Saga-Silent Knight
Circus Maximus-Isolation

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 08:16
is there a Big Four Of AOR? Toto, Styx, Boston, Journey?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 21:03
^Add REO Speedwagon, and you've got a Big Five.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 04:50
never heard of them but it looks like they're the least prog out of these
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>