Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGabriel’s solo career-Prog or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by convocation convocation wrote:

Peter Gabriel is a progressive rock artist. For eample, nobody really faults Yes for having a hit on Fragile - Roundabout, refering to the good old days.  Besides, good progressive rockers evolve and reinvent themselves continually; sometimes testing the water in other genres.  His (PG) influences are eclectic, and he's always original.  Those who don't accept Gabriel as continuing to be active in prog after departing Genesis simple have too rigid a definition of what "progressive" rock is all about.

ClapClapClap

There may be a few commercial (though excellent) songs on his solo albums, but his overall output is definitely progressive. Anyway, I'm one of the few people who prefer Gabriel's solo career to what he did with Genesis...
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 14:08
Yes, he IS. His music may be poppy, but outstanding, worldy, interesting, progresive rock/pop at that. Even in his definitely poppy album SO, he still manages to give his songs an special atmosphere, use special instrumentations, he makes the album sound proggier than it is. UP and MELT are prog. US (to comment on all 4 PG albums that I have), well, kind of sucks but it's still an "elegant" album to use a good adjective.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 14:28
Now that Art Rock has split into three more easily managable sub-genres is there room for Peter Gabriel in Crossover Prog?

I think so, eventhough individual songs may not exactly fit the definition, the way the albums are constructed, the flow of songs, the instrumentation, unusual influences, lyrical structure and 'concepts' are prog. Also, as a musician he writes sublimely progressive music on those instrumental albums that occasionally get over looked when discussing his solo output (Birdy, Passion, Ovo, The Long Walk), some of which would almost qualify as Advant Prog.
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 14:34
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Now that Art Rock has split into three more easily managable sub-genres is there room for Peter Gabriel in Crossover Prog?

I think so, eventhough individual songs may not exactly fit the definition, the way the albums are constructed, the flow of songs, the instrumentation, unusual influences, lyrical structure and 'concepts' are prog. Also, as a musician he writes sublimely progressive music on those instrumental albums that occasionally get over looked when discussing his solo output (Birdy, Passion, Ovo, The Long Walk), some of which would almost qualify as Advant Prog.

Yes, definitely - Micky and I have discussed that quite often, and he intends moving PG to Crossover ASAP. In fact, a few months ago (before I temporarily retired from the site), there was a poll about moving PG to Art Rock, but the results were unclear, and the idea was abandoned for the time being. However, now the time is ripe for him to be moved to a category which is much more suitable to his music, because of the features you have just highlighted.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 23:54
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Yes, definitely - Micky and I have discussed that quite often, and he intends moving PG to Crossover ASAP. In fact, a few months ago (before I temporarily retired from the site), there was a poll about moving PG to Art Rock, but the results were unclear, and the idea was abandoned for the time being. However, now the time is ripe for him to be moved to a category which is much more suitable to his music, because of the features you have just highlighted.

Moving him to Crossover (if that is the most accurate prog genre for his music) would be great and a wise decision, i am agree with you guysClap, also last week-end i had a PG`s DVD show with P.O.V., Secret World and Growing Up, damn all of them are outstanding, the Growing Up DVD will be played next week here in a local cinema, that will be great Big%20smile

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 21:20
well this has been settled in the smoky back rooms of PA's...

Peter Gabriel is being moved to Crossover....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 21:40
'bout time.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 21:44
Clap
we discussed Gabriel, along with some others some time ago.. .  just had to wait till the time was right.  I had a little birdie telling me that a category that would be right for him and others like him would be coming here.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123