Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBand Biographies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 21>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 14:17
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

I am doing some interviews and I find a lot of bands with no biography. But I also find a lot of Myspace pages with biographies. Hence, I have got their written permissions to transfer the Myspace bios to PA. Something Easy Livin has done for me (poor guy).

In short, I support Easy Livin's idea from many spaghetti crop harvests ago (years) that we should get a list from Max with the additions without biographies and simply google the bands and get bios together. 

Dean: Gather the troops around you and read them the riot act.    

Why not have our own and take an angle which is what I do and if your're not sure of something contact the band and ask them to fill in the blanks. I've done this many times. For example, I couldn't have done the Janus bio without contacting Colin Orr. People using PA as a resource will just think we're a bunch of copy cats when they see an identical bio from a band's Myspace site.

I find  a lot of stuff I have written for PA on other sites as well as on youtube.  I dunno I just think it's a cop out. I Know it's a lot of work to do  a good bio in our spare time but some of my bios have taken weeks to complete. There's no rush really if a bio has been missing for years. There are also some bios up on the site that were hastily written when the site was in it's infancy and could use some makeovers and re-writes as well. 
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 05:00

New Alberto Rigoni biography (with written permission from the artist)

Alberto Rigoni is an italian bass player and composer who’s rapidly gaining audience in the international music scene thanks to his modern and fresh sound, far away from any well known music cliché.
Besides his solo career, Alberto is also known as member and bass player of the progressive metal band TwinSpirits and founder of the new pop electro duo Lady & the BASS.

Born in Montebelluna (Treviso, Italy) in 1981, bass player Alberto Rigoni founded, together with drummer Enrico Buttol, a well-known progressive-metal cover band, "Ascra", performing mainly songs by Dream Theater. In 2003 he joined the emerging band "Twinspirits" (progressive rock metal), led by Daniele Liverani (Genius Rock Opera, Khymera, ex-Empty Tremor). The band's debut album "The Music That Will Heal The World" was released worldwide in 2007 by Finnish label Lion Music and received remarkable feedback. Besides Twinspirits, Rigoni followed a very personal artistic way, composing a solo album entitled "Something Different", released by Lion Music on February 15th 2008 with worldwide distribution. At the same time Alberto shot a video of his hit song “BASSex” (working with Italian company “Solingo Visual Arts”) directed by Elia Cristofoli. The video was broadcast on some television networks such as RockTV.

In 2009:
- became endorser for Aguilar Amplification, Elrick Bass Guitars and HipShot Products;
- Lion Music label released the new Twinspirits album “The Forbidden City” (september 11th);
- as guest recorded some bass tracks for Gianni Rojatti's new guitar solo album "Dolcetti Metal Beat" (released by Heart of Steel Records in 2010);
- together with Italian singer Irene Ermolli began a new musical project called "Lady & the Bass" (pop-electro-experimental). Federico Solazzo (keyboard player for the world famous singer Alexia) joins the project as artistic co-producer.

In 2010:
- composed and produced his new solo album that features also great musicians such as Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree), John Macaluso (Ark, ex-Malmsteen), Michael Manring, Yves Carbonne and many others great musicians;
- became endorser for Ernie Ball Strings (Mogar Music, Italy), Evidence Audio Cables, Comfort Strapp and Sonuus products;
- completed Mistheria's "Dragon Fire" album line-up recording the whole CD. The album's personnel in full is: Vocals - John West, Mark Boals, Rob Rock, Titta Tani, Lance King. Guitars - George Bellas, Roger Staffelbach, Emir Hot, Neil Zaza Bass - Alberto Rigoni. Drums - John Macaluso;
- as guest recorded 2 bass tracks for Russian keyboard player Sergey Boykov's new solo album;
- Emmeciesse Music released Lady & the BASS first single "Quirky Girl". The track received widespread airplay on Italian radio during the summer and it has also been selected for a compilation CD that Gruppo Coin/OVS (one of the leaders in Italian fashion retail) broadcasts in the numerous shops they own in Italy and abroad;
- Lady & the BASS released "Quirky Girl" videoclip (directed by Iride Video);
- Twinspirits released "Number One" video clip (directed by Salvatore Perrone);
- on november 28th appears at Euro Bass Day 2010 (Verona, Italy) with "Lady & the BASS". Special guests of 2010 edition, amon the others: Bobby Vega, Brian Bromberg, Billy Sheenan, Pippo Matino, Simone Vignola, Maurizio Rolli.

In 2011:
- signs with Nightmare Records (SONY / RED Distribution) for the release of his new solo album "Rebirth";
- Twinspirits release "Slave to this World" official video clip from the new album "Legacy" (out on february 18th by Lion Music);
- became endorser for Dingwall Bass Guitar

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 06:43
Hatfield & The North has a horrible bad biography unfitting this incredible band. Can we please get a new one ? See http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=147
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 11:24
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Hatfield & The North has a horrible bad biography unfitting this incredible band. Can we please get a new one ? See http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=147

Really terrible.

Says nothing

Iván

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 22:35
Ah I think it was updated by Easy Livin
Is that right - it says enough now - still rather short but its there.
Wollax View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 17:08
Updated and detailed biography for Garden Wall on the official Reverbnation page:

http://www.reverbnation.com/page_object/page_object_bio/artist_477740
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 17:18
As I know, PA policy is to have 'our own' bios or use bios from other sources by permissions.

We should not simply copy-paste info from elsewhere.  
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Wollax View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 18:25
Oops, sorry, you're absolutely right! I am the bass player of the band and the bio quoted above was actually compiled by me some months ago. I am new to PA (at least from the contributor's point of view) and I don't know exactly what are the guidelines (if there are any) and the requirements to fit for a bio here. And, being a member of the band, I guess I'm not even supposed to personally contribute to that.
I just wanted to provide an updated and complete source for a bio to be compiled here, having seen that the current is really old, and this thread seemed to me the right place to do that. Sorry if I have been inappropriate ;-)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 19:11
Originally posted by Wollax Wollax wrote:

I am the bass player of the band and the bio quoted above was actually compiled by me some months ago. ..... And, being a member of the band, I guess I'm not even supposed to personally contribute to that.
It changes everything. LOL

The bio is well-written, facts without '"shameless self-promotion"", and I think this kind of contribution by artists is only welcome.

If you'd like I'll replace Garden Wall bio at the band's page on PA and point out that it's written by William Toson (right?) and placed here by the band's permission. OK?
Wollax View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 19:45
Ok, perfect! Many thanks!  Beer

Oh, by the way, I posted a link to a recent band picture too in the "Album Covers and Artist Pictures" thread, hope that's the right place.
Thanks again for your assistance Bowdown
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 20:43
Sleeper just sent me a bio for White Willow who had a two sentences one.

Originally posted by Sleeper Sleeper wrote:

WHITE WILLOW are the leading Norwegian band of the 1990's Prog revival and were begun in 1992 by guitarist Jacob Holm-Lupo. The band was based around a nucleus of Holm-Lupo (guitars), Jan Tariq Rahman (keyboards, bass, guitars, wind instruments) , Audun Kjus (wind instruments, vocals), Sara Trondal (vocals), Eldrid Johansen (vocals), Alexander Engebretsen (5 string bass), Tirill Mohn (violin, classical guitar) and an unnamed drummer as well as a collection of guest musicians. Over a period of 2 years from December '92 to September '94 the band recorded a number of songs that would form their fist album, Ignis Fatuus, released in '95 by The Lasers Edge, the start of a long partnership with the American label, and signalling them as one of the leading groups in the revival of Progressive Rock along with bands like ANGLAGARD and ANEKDOTEN. The sound of this first album is largely characterised by mid paced, acoustic guitar and mellotron led Folk Prog, bringing to mind GRYPHON but with a touch of the more acoustic nature of early GENESIS and KING CRIMSON's first line-up. However, the two “epic” songs that close out the album showed a full electric band with a much more staunchly Symphonic approach. If there is two words than can be used to describe the bands music though, its melancholic and beautiful, two characteristics that would remain with the band and become the signature of their sound.

Because of the extended nature of the recording time for the album Ignis Fatuus and with the band members having very informal roles, it has a feeling of a solo project at times but also of a young band trying to find their sound. In the following three years the band was reformed around the core of Jacob Holm-Lupo and Jan Tariq Rahman, with Frode Lia joining on bass and Mattias Olsson (ANGLAGARD) on drums. Sylvia Erichsen would join as vocalist and for many fans would become the voice of WHITE WILLOW for years to come. The second album Ex Tenebris would be released in '98 and featured a changed sound from the début. The mid paced, melancholic atmosphere would remain, but it featured a much more sparse, striped-down sound with a slightly more Symphonic Rock touch added to the folk. Following this release the band would also see more success on tour, attracting wide acclaim for their performances at a wide variety of Prog festivals across Europe. Following the touring, many members once again left the band with only Holm-Lupo and Erichsen remaining. The new line-up consisted of Brynjar Dambo (keyboards, glockenspiel), Aage Moltke Schou (drums), Johannes Sæbøe (bass) and Ketil Vestrum Einarsen (wind instruments)( JAGGA JAZZIST, MOTORPSYCHO) and it would be this band that recorded the third album, Sacrament, in 2000. The sound of the band continued to evolve here with them now being a fully Symphonic Prog band with only a few Folk influences left and a much heavier reliance on the electric guitar than previously, but still with large helpings of acoustic playing. This line-up would also gain a deal of success on the live circuit, particularly at NEARFest in 2001 when they had to play a set with borrowed equipment following an airline mishap.

As has become standard now, the band underwent another line-up change following the departure of Dambo and Einarsen. Johannes Sæbøe would move over from the bass to play second guitar, the only period in the bands history with two full time guitarists, and Martha Berger Walthinsen would take over playing bass. The biggest change though was the edition of vintage keyboard wizard Lars Fredrik Frøislie (WOBBLER, IN LINGUA MORTUA) to the line-up who would quickly form a strong partnership with Holm-Lupo. This incarnation of the band would spend a year in the studio to produce 2004's Storm Season, widely regarded as the bands best album. The Folk aspects that were so prevalent in WHITE WILLOWs first few albums is now gone. In its wake is a unique style of Symphonic Prog dominated by the growling bass of Walthinsen, the expansive keyboard soundscapes and leads of Frøislie, the heavy, almost Metal like, riffing of Sæbøe and the Hackett esque leads and melodies of Holm-Lupo. This album would also be the most commercially successful of the bands as well, maybe because of the new direction appealing to a wider audience than before, yet without them sacrificing their roots. Sadly this incarnation of the band would once again only last for one album as shortly after Sæbøe and Erichsen would both leave the band. Sæbøe's position would be left unfilled, returning the band to a single guitar style and leaving the pseudo-Metal of Storm Season behind, but Erichsen would be replaced by Trude Eidtang and Ketil Vestrum Einarsen would also return. The resulting album, Signal to Noise, would feature another change in direction for the band. The vintage 70's sound that had featured on all their previous albums would be largely left out here for a more modern sound, and the album would be much more guitar oriented than previously, all a reaction to Holm-Lupo's frustrations with Progressive Rock at the time, with the result being something of a cross between Symphonic and Neo Prog. This album was launched at the UK's Summers End festival in autumn 2006 where they had a headlining spot.

Following Signal to Noise, Holm-Lupo put WHITE WILLOW on hiatus giving himself time to concentrate on other musical pursuits. These would include starting the Termo Records label with Lars Fredrik Frøislie, and assisting Frøislie in the production of the second and third WOBBLER albums as well as launching Frøislie's experimental Black Metal band IN LINGUA MORTUA and his own new band THE OPIUM CARTEL. In 2010, Holm-Lupo decided to bring back WHITE WILLOW and reformed the band with Frøislie and another different line-up. Vocalist Sylvia Skjellestad (nee Erichsen) would return, in place of Eidtang, along with Einarsen and ANGLAGARD drummer Mattias Olsson but with the bass this time provided by the talented young player Ellen Andrea Wang (SYNKOKE). Given their experience of the last few years Holm-Lupo and Frøislie decided to avoid the big studio production set-up (and its costs) and effectively recorded the new album at their respective home studios. The result is a more raw sounding album than previously, but with a return to the classic 70's sound dominated by the vintage keyboards. Terminal Twilight is to be released by The Lasers Edge (USA) and Termo Records (rest of world) in October 2011.

Though WHITE WILLOWs sound changes from album to album, a mid paced, melancholic style has been permanent through the years, sometimes dark, sometimes menacing and occasionally even uplifting but always creating some of the most beautiful music. This band will appeal to a lot of different people. Symphonic fans will find something to enjoy in all their albums, those that like Folk will enjoy the first three albums, heavier rock fans will like Storm Season and Signal to Noise and finally fans of vintage keyboards, that Scandinavian Sound and harmonically experimental bands that don't just copy the classics will find much here to keep them happy.

Andrew Carter “sleeper”

Great job sleeper, I sent you a thanks PM, but your inbox is full

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 04:29
Originally posted by Wollax Wollax wrote:

Ok, perfect! Many thanks!  Beer

Oh, by the way, I posted a link to a recent band picture too in the "Album Covers and Artist Pictures" thread, hope that's the right place.
Thanks again for your assistance Bowdown

It's how it looks now: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=124. I hope Prog metal team forgives my invasion to their territory.Smile

I have doubts about new photo, please look at  "Album Covers and Artist Pictures" thread.
Wollax View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 04:52
Great, thanks! Oops, my fault, I didn't realized I should have referred to a proper sub-genre department.
But... well, the "prog metal" label doesn't really fit us so much anymore, so I guess you'll be excused... ;-)
I'll check the other thread right now, thanks...
What doesn't kill you makes you a funny motherf**ker! (Henry Rollins)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 05:03
No, you're in the right thread.

I notified Prog metal team about the changed bio.

But classification, are you metalheads or something else Smile, is in teams' competence.
Wollax View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 05:24
Oh, yes, it definitely makes sense.
What doesn't kill you makes you a funny motherf**ker! (Henry Rollins)
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 08:18
just adding information to Mastodons - the Hunter, thier are three additonal keybord players who are credited on some songs

on  Stargasme and Badazzeled Fingerneals are Rick Morris behind the synth and keybords

on  the Sparrow and the Hunter are  Will Raines behind the synth and keyes

on the Creature Lives are Dave Palmer featured

Geek
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 13:28
^ Wrong thread, but almost done: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=34035.

Please post info in more convenient way in future, like this:
Guest musicians:
- Rick Morris / synth and keyboards (4, 12)
- Will Raines / synth and keyboards (7, 13)

And what Dave Palmer is doing here? Dances, drinks beer, sings or plays some instruments? Smile
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 02:03
Nick Duke from crossover band Trojan Horse has rightly noted http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26187&PID=4304534#4304534 
that his band's biography http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6604 is somewhat on the light side and has offered to flesh it out. I assme he needs to submit his own biog to this forum?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 02:19
^ Yes, that would be excellent. He can also contact the Crossover Team members by PM to solve the issue; or even better, he should contact Windhawk, the author of the addition, who is already familiar with the band. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 02:36
Thanks harmonium, I'll pass it on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 21>