Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeirdest thing youve done related to prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weirdest thing youve done related to prog
    Posted: December 19 2005 at 16:07

Living in the Third World like cuncuna, I know how difficult it was 'till some years ago (and the blessed internet) to find information and stuff about prog bands (and 60 and 70's bands in general).

well, the most crazy thing I've done about prog is the same I think all of you have tried someday in your life: introduce this world to my friends. They never could listen one simple song without making stupid comments or silly jokes about my musical taste. That's the reason why I have no comunication to the outside world about music, beside forums like this.

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 15:31

Originally posted by Gomurisu Gomurisu wrote:

Hmm... Something weird... I don't know, maybe trying to sing Cygnus X-1 with the same octave as Geddy Lee. Impossible...

Try the following equipment: High Pitch Vocal Balls Compresor Pedal. I think it'll work.  

¡Beware of the Bee!

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:35
No, i'll say nothing!! that's a secret between us
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:34
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:06
...not very weird or original, but i play "invisible" instruments (mainly drums, guitar and bass) in front of my hifi system.
...but you should ask to Alucard, maybe he'd tell you what he does when he's alone...

Edited by oliverstoned
troy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:03
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

^ your english is fine dude!

i have that addiction too............

t-shirts, CDs and magazines: iresistable temptations!

It definately can be likened to a drug addiction.

SUNSET IS AN ANGEL WEEPING
HOLDING OUT A BLOODY SWORD
NO MATTER HOW I SQUINT I CANNOT MAKE OUT WHAT IT IS POINTING TOWARD
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 11:58
I just remembered one more thing: my familiy gave me a ticket to a Fcous show for my birthday. the thing is, they thought I was a Fcous fan because of my girl. She likes focuas a lot, so I bought some music for her. I had to change my front ticket (I was quite broke by the time) for two tickets on that section that lies beside the beside, so we could go together and hugh while they were playing. Not very weird, I guess, but its something. I love Mercedes so much...
¡Beware of the Bee!

Gomurisu View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 16:14
Hmm... Something weird... I don't know, maybe trying to sing Cygnus X-1 with the same octave as Geddy Lee. Impossible...
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 14:51
Hah! I succeeded!!!!
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 14:17

Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

Originally posted by tardis tardis wrote:

I tried to shoplift Dark Side Of The Moon once and got caught...

the only thing i ever tried to do is to get my friends into listening to prog

I failed miserably

same

KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 01:24
Originally posted by tardis tardis wrote:

the only thing i ever tried to do is to get my friends into listening to prog

I failed miserably
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 01:14

Edited by tardis
Harold Dupont View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 00:41
One day I hadn't money, I saw a DSOTM poster on stole it...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 23:16
I haven't done anything overly weird. I don't consider air instruments or singing to be weird, since I do them all the time. I guess the strangest thing I've done was listen to only Dream Theater, in chronological order from the start, in the two weeks leading up to the release of Octavarium. With the massive collection of stuff I have by them, it wasn't particularly difficult.
walrus333 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 22:36
Heh Well A bit back there was a thread here on weather Coheed and Cambria were prog, I was arguing that they were not, the next day at school some dude had a coheed and cambria t-shirt on, so I (being the nerdy prog freak I am) immediatly went up to him and started ranting on all the reasons they were not prog.
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 11:05

Reminds me  of the  'Wish you were here' cover, when it came out in this black plastic sleeve. I thought it was so cool I took it of only years later....

my strangest Prog souvenir: I had a ticket for a Jethro Tull  concert which was quite far away from my hometown. The day of the concert, just before taking the train I broke my glasses, leaving me like the hair who lost his spectacles without a spair pair. I went there anyway, it was quite hard to get there but I finally made it to the venue. The concert itself was great  even if I couldn't see much more then some coloured spots.

Edited by Alucard
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 10:44
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

Ok, here’s a lady’s story (not exactly weird but crazy enough):

In the early 80’s when Abacab came out, Atlantic Records had printed the same picture on the LP’s front cover but in four different colour combinations (to quadruple the sales, of course). Being a staunch collector of Genesis memorabilia, I wasn’t going to skimp on a few extra $$$, so I picked up all four copies even if the music was exactly the same on every album.

When the guy at the cash saw me coming with the lot, he started lecturing me on how record labels conned poor fans like myself into spending their hard-earned cash, how disgusting it was to use such crass marketing techniques and yadda-yadda-yadda. I knew all this, of course, but a collector can be as stubborn as a mule. So I waited patiently until he finished his rant (he was fuming by now, pumping himself up, almost screaming at the top of his lungs) and then I dropped the four albums on the counter, ready to pay for them. You should have seen his face: he was so red, so angry I thought he was going to explode or hit me on the head.

In retrospect, I know he was right but I still cherish those albums (even if the music on it is crap) and I know I would buy them again if I had to. That’s how crazy I was (still am) about GENESIS.

I had a friend who bought all version of Zep's In Through The Outdoor - that was particularly crazy because they were in brown paper bags so you would not know which one you were buying, too!! But He made a deal with the salesman that he would buy all six if he could peak in them!! Of course the guya agreed to it! Six albums gone in one shot!

But this Genesis different colours was also the case with Split Enz's album. I knew someone that did buy three versions of it! And the triangular shapes were also printed on the vinyl itself - beautyful results and much classier than ABACRAP!!

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 09:57
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

In the early 80’s when Abacab came out, Atlantic Records had printed the same picture on the LP’s front cover but in four different colour combinations (to quadruple the sales, of course). Being a staunch collector of Genesis memorabilia, I wasn’t going to skimp on a few extra $$$, so I picked up all four copies even if the music was exactly the same on every album.

When the guy at the cash saw me coming with the lot, he started lecturing me on how record labels conned poor fans like myself into spending their hard-earned cash, how disgusting it was to use such crass marketing techniques and yadda-yadda-yadda. I knew all this, of course, but a collector can be as stubborn as a mule. So I waited patiently until he finished his rant (he was fuming by now, pumping himself up, almost screaming at the top of his lungs) and then I dropped the four albums on the counter, ready to pay for them. You should have seen his face: he was so red, so angry I thought he was going to explode or hit me on the head.

In retrospect, I know he was right but I still cherish those albums (even if the music on it is crap) and I know I would buy them again if I had to. That’s how crazy I was (still am) about GENESIS.

That is pretty fanatical ... the fact that you would buy them again, I mean!

Then again, one of the things my friends really bash me for is the fact that I have all four colours of Michael Jackson's Invincible album ... and I think it's terrible! ... of course, two were given to me as part of my work, a third was given to my wife as part of hers, and a fourth was an extra copy that my good friend who worked in Sony, passed me at the very beginning ... the sheer coincidence that all 4 were different colours made me hang on to them
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 16:44

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 09:08
well ladies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>