Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeirdest thing youve done related to prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 09:46
Prog has inspired me to wear flared out jeans, denim jackets, long gothic capes and dressing up like a diasy on my trips to the grocery store!  I'm prog as hell. 
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 09:53
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:02
Originally posted by Ekzodo Ekzodo wrote:

Every week I spend more than u$s 200 in music (magazines, records, T-shirts)

The most weird is that sometimes I "borrow" some cd`s of my sister (Back Street Boys, Shakira, s*h*t like that and I sell those to buy more prog music) I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM

I understand the temptation Ekzodo ... but that's still nasty ...imagine if someone cleared out your prog collection ... 

My dumbest days were the days before prog ... I even had a dual-direction head-banging technique ... I reached untold depths ... when scoffing down large amounts of the hottest chilis in Thailand (where I then lived) ... running up and down headbanging to Rainbow!
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:07
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

The most weird is that sometimes I "borrow" some cd`s of my sister (Back Street Boys, Shakira, s*h*t like that and I sell those to buy more prog music) I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM

I understand the temptation Ekzodo ... but that's still nasty ...imagine if someone cleared out your prog collection ... 

My dumbest days were the days before prog ... I even had a dual-direction head-banging technique ... I reached untold depths ... when scoffing down large amounts of the hottest chilis in Thailand (where I then lived) ... running up and down headbanging to Rainbow!

Hi trotsky!!!!!!!

i once strained my neck, headbanging..

it taught me a lesson!!! it gave me a 4- day stiff neck, and a soft cervical collar!!!!!

BTW, rainbows music is yummy!!!!!

Edited by Majestic_Mayhem

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:26
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

Hi trotsky!!!!!!!

i once strained my neck, headbanging..

it taught me a lesson!!! it gave me a 4- day stiff neck, and a soft cervical collar!!!!!

BTW, rainbows music is yummy!!!!!

heh heh Kill The King is still my number head-banging song ... although last two times I did were at Uriah Heep's show when they did Bird Of Prey and Deep Purple's when they launched into Speed King ...

I was still in my 20s then (three years ago) ... ... not anymore
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:33

^you mean youre only 23?? Im also 23.... hehe..

love those bands

we have the same liking,

for deep purple: Burrrnnnn, and highway star..

dont have the privilage to see them live though, so i just pretend......

Jeremy Bender View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:57

I once demolished an old organ which stands in our rehearsel room.....

So I like to play Emerson once in a while(although I'm a drummer)

con safo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 12:35
I like to sing along to VdGG .. of course you can imagine how silly i sound trying to emulate Peter Hammill
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 12:53
I don't know... when I first got into music, ther was no internet and, living in a small not progressive country, the only chance to get some good albums was the following: going into an old hippie vynil store, and buying copies of those vynils, wich were passed to a tape. The whole process included waiting for the hippie, who also worked on a harbour. That means that the vynil store was open from 21:30 to 24:00. the store was located on a flea market, etc. Each visit provided me two album copies, one for each side of the 90 minutes tape, plus the xerox copy of the cover art, or a photograph. Then, on the way home, I has time enough to listen one of the sides of the tape. Later, once into bed, I use to check out the B side. ¿Is that weird enough?.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 13:33
I don't know if this is a reflection of how much I like prog or how lazy I am.  After buying Neal Morse's One CD, I liked it so much that I took it wherever I went.  Well, I have two CD players at home and I got tired of switching it out of one and putting it in the other based upon what room in the house I was in.  So I bought another CD (and I don't spend much on music, trust me on this) so that I would have one in each player, always ready to go.  I listened to that CD every day for nearly 9 months!  Now that I don't listen to it as often, the extra CD has come in handy.  It is now my "loaner" copy.  Someone asks me what music I listen to, I hand them the CD and say, "Here's my type of music...listen to it 10 times and let me know what you think.  Don't listen to it just once, because it will go right over your head.  Let it sink into your bones.  Enjoy!"  (This actually works!)

Edited by Lofcaudio
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 14:37
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

^you mean youre only 23?? Im also 23.... hehe..

love those bands

we have the same liking,

for deep purple: Burrrnnnn, and highway star..

dont have the privilage to see them live though, so i just pretend......

No no ... I wish!

it came out wrong ... three years ago I was still in my 20s (meaning I was 29 then and 32 now) ...

nowadays I do something silly and my body reminds me of it for the next few days!

Heraclea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 15:27
Singing/reciting  prog songs, mostly Genesis, in public.  I still do that.  When I'm not talking to myself, that is. Why care about what others think?
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 15:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

well they do not go around air-guitaring to ELP, either !

Wanna bet? Oh wait, you mean the Sex Pistols. Well, never mind, I, myself, air-guitar to Lake's acoustic guitar playing on Take A Pebble (and airplay -  airplay? the word sounds familiar   - to Emerson's piano pieces)

We're a pathetic bunch of guys, aren't we?   Any girls who participate in this behaviour?

I never used the make up - kit: lucky me: Banks was my hero

Edited by Moogtron III
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 16:16
I listen to Camel's Snow Goose on my bus ride back from school while playing air-guitar in the isle... When it's the smooth slow guitars, I go back in my seat until my next time to rise
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

well they do not go around air-guitaring to ELP, either !

Wanna bet? Oh wait, you mean the Sex Pistols. Well, never mind, I, myself, air-guitar to Lake's acoustic guitar playing on Take A Pebble (and airplay -  airplay? the word sounds familiar   - to Emerson's piano pieces)

We're a pathetic bunch of guys, aren't we?   Any girls who participate in this behaviour?

I never used the make up - kit: lucky me: Banks was my hero

love pushes you to do weird things. Love for prog music that is!

i wanna hear the ladies

JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 09:08
well ladies?

Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 16:44

Ok, here’s a lady’s story (not exactly weird but crazy enough):

In the early 80’s when Abacab came out, Atlantic Records had printed the same picture on the LP’s front cover but in four different colour combinations (to quadruple the sales, of course). Being a staunch collector of Genesis memorabilia, I wasn’t going to skimp on a few extra $$$, so I picked up all four copies even if the music was exactly the same on every album.

When the guy at the cash saw me coming with the lot, he started lecturing me on how record labels conned poor fans like myself into spending their hard-earned cash, how disgusting it was to use such crass marketing techniques and yadda-yadda-yadda. I knew all this, of course, but a collector can be as stubborn as a mule. So I waited patiently until he finished his rant (he was fuming by now, pumping himself up, almost screaming at the top of his lungs) and then I dropped the four albums on the counter, ready to pay for them. You should have seen his face: he was so red, so angry I thought he was going to explode or hit me on the head.

In retrospect, I know he was right but I still cherish those albums (even if the music on it is crap) and I know I would buy them again if I had to. That’s how crazy I was (still am) about GENESIS.
[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 09:57
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

In the early 80’s when Abacab came out, Atlantic Records had printed the same picture on the LP’s front cover but in four different colour combinations (to quadruple the sales, of course). Being a staunch collector of Genesis memorabilia, I wasn’t going to skimp on a few extra $$$, so I picked up all four copies even if the music was exactly the same on every album.

When the guy at the cash saw me coming with the lot, he started lecturing me on how record labels conned poor fans like myself into spending their hard-earned cash, how disgusting it was to use such crass marketing techniques and yadda-yadda-yadda. I knew all this, of course, but a collector can be as stubborn as a mule. So I waited patiently until he finished his rant (he was fuming by now, pumping himself up, almost screaming at the top of his lungs) and then I dropped the four albums on the counter, ready to pay for them. You should have seen his face: he was so red, so angry I thought he was going to explode or hit me on the head.

In retrospect, I know he was right but I still cherish those albums (even if the music on it is crap) and I know I would buy them again if I had to. That’s how crazy I was (still am) about GENESIS.

That is pretty fanatical ... the fact that you would buy them again, I mean!

Then again, one of the things my friends really bash me for is the fact that I have all four colours of Michael Jackson's Invincible album ... and I think it's terrible! ... of course, two were given to me as part of my work, a third was given to my wife as part of hers, and a fourth was an extra copy that my good friend who worked in Sony, passed me at the very beginning ... the sheer coincidence that all 4 were different colours made me hang on to them

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 10:44
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

I had a friend who bought all version of Zep's In Through The Outdoor - that was particularly crazy because they were in brown paper bags so you would not know which one you were buying, too!! But He made a deal with the salesman that he would buy all six if he could peak in them!! Of course the guya agreed to it! Six albums gone in one shot!

But this Genesis different colours was also the case with Split Enz's album. I knew someone that did buy three versions of it! And the triangular shapes were also printed on the vinyl itself - beautyful results and much classier than ABACRAP!!

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 11:05

Reminds me  of the  'Wish you were here' cover, when it came out in this black plastic sleeve. I thought it was so cool I took it of only years later....

my strangest Prog souvenir: I had a ticket for a Jethro Tull  concert which was quite far away from my hometown. The day of the concert, just before taking the train I broke my glasses, leaving me like the hair who lost his spectacles without a spair pair. I went there anyway, it was quite hard to get there but I finally made it to the venue. The concert itself was great  even if I couldn't see much more then some coloured spots.

Edited by Alucard
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>