Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd - jumping the shark?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: When did Pink Floyd jump the shark?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.49%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.97%]
10 [14.93%]
18 [26.87%]
0 [0.00%]
34 [50.75%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd - jumping the shark?
    Posted: September 06 2004 at 15:47

The last of the "Shark" polls from me for the time being, and possibly the one that will unearth the most differences of opinion.

So when did Pink Floyd "jump the shark"? As ever, plenty of comments on why you’ve voted the way you did please! (If you’re not sure what "jumping the shark is", see previous threads on the same topic.)

My own vote has gone to "They’ve never jumped the shark". This is a retrospective view, as I would probably have gone for -When they released "The wall"- had they not subsequently come up with "The Division bell", which I find to be one of their best.

I know there’s more chance of Scotland winning the World Cup, but I am still optimistic that there is one more great Pink Floyd album yet to come.

Edited by Easy Livin
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 16:06
The Floyd never jumped the shark.  They were about to after The Wall, but then they rebounded with the fantastic Division Bell.
Rain View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 17:12

NEVER, now matter how lost it looks, theres always something new, something strange something thats worth saving the album for.

For example, i Would says, Guilmours Floyd, but there's learning to fly, sorrow, Coming back to life, high hopes, what do you want from me? and so and so, thats worth saving both albums. About A new album, I truly consider the option of a new show, of even (let's put our hands together and pray to our lord) a bands reunion, for Syd Barrets death, I know it would suck, but poor madcap has been sick for a long time, and anything leading to a floyd re-union, can't be that bad 

Edited by Rain
And the meek shall inheret the earth - Niel Peart
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 18:14
Well, I'm on record in my Archives review of this album as saying that *for me* it was all downhill after DSOTM. I'm in a minority (of one, probably) but they just never sounded as good again to me. Sure I can listen to the later stuff, but it just does not have the magic that DSOTM and some of the earlier stuff had. Sorry guys, just my own view.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 18:43
I never particularly liked DSOTM but I've always liked The Wall.I recently bought Animals and I like that a lot as well.I also like Meddle.So that basically leaves me confused I suppose
The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 20:05

They never knew of jumping no shark at all!!!!!!!

break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 20:22

I agree with Land... they never jumped the shark!!!

Well maybe when Roger put Pink Floyd's name on The Final Cut... but that was just a small moment out of an otherwise flawless career.... I will go on record as saying I just love AMLOR... even the controversial "Dogs of War".  Actually I love that song even more on DSOT... but I still love both of the Post-Waters albums.  Actually The Division Bell is my third favorite PF album after Animals and DSOTM...

Now if we could just convince Dave that he needs to do another one... that would be excellent!!  I just love his guitar on Alan Parson's new cd.... it still wails like no other...

THIS IS ELP
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 20:29

I said after Roger left. While the Wall and Final Cut seemed more like Roger Water solo's(retrospectively of course) they are both still solid Albums.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason was fairly mediocre and lacked the darkness and excellent lyrics that normally accompanied Pink Floyd Albums from 73' and on. Roger Waters defined it best when he labeled the album as a decent forgery....I Agree(100%)

The Division Bell is a better effort no doubt but there has always been one thing that drove me crazy about that album. David Gilmour's singing has for some reason been reduced to speaking through the lyrics rather than singing  them. Perhaps old age hasn't been kind to the mans vocal chords.

It has always bugged me a great deal that Echoes(the compilation) had 5 songs from those 2 albums. I could have forgiven 1 from each but I see 5 as a David Gilmour ego driven stroke fest. There was definately better material to choose from.

Still with all that said Pink Floyd never truly sold out like Genesis, Yes and perhaps even ELP. For that i will always hold a great deal of respect for them

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 21:35

In this case I go with the majoprity of the members who have voted here i believe PF never jumped the shark.

Of course there are great and other not so good or even bad albums (Especially when Roger left), but the sound of Floyd was always present in their music. Surely they changed, but they never sold ot as many other prog' bands did in some moment of their careers.

Even their worst album has a couple of great tracks.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 22:45

I voted on 'The Final Cut' moment, but it was only momentary. The band sold itself out into the intellectually rich but musically poor musical world of Roger Waters. It was time Waters left, and so he did... and then Gillmour was able to do some great stuff under the PF moniker. Sure, he was the last guy to join the band, but from day one his guitar playing and occasiona lwriting allowed PF shine in full splendour in the 70s.

Why 'The Final Cut'? Because it was the not so inventive continuation to 'The Wall', making itself a mere 'Wall' self-parody. Pity, since there are some good songs in there.

Regards.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 23:47

I see Pink Floyd as four bands (really?) separated by crucial personnel and stylistic differences:

The original Barrett Floyd, a whimsical psychedelic band with incredibly unique acid pop songs, very much a part of the times...but one of the best of its era. I guess hardcore Syd fans would say that Gilmour ruined the band, but the truth is that Syd ruined himself and the band incredibly managed to do a phoenix turn.

The Democratic Floyd (probably a misnomer, but the best I could come up with), an experimental, almost avant-garde band but with deep ties to the blues and pastoral acoustic Englishness. A band truly expanding its horizons, and the horizons of anyone who listened. The most obvious choices to represent the period are Meddle and Ummagumma, but the More OST is possibly an even more pure representation.

The Thoughtful Floyd (or the Waters Floyd, although his domination was less complete at first), a more introspective and chillingly critical band with increasing radio potential despite no punches being pulled...the initial warm eeriness of DSOTM develops into a more hard-hitting but isolated stance, with the songwriting skills finally rivalling their debut album after a decade of more sound-based exploration. I don't care for the Wall or the Final Cut, personally, but that may just be the contempt bred of familiarity.

The Friendly Floyd (or the Gilmour Floyd, or even the Pop Floyd), a less confrontational but increasingly accessible group of mellow middle-aged professionals who know how to compose and perform like few others; they managed to regain the warmth and atmosphere that dwindled a bit after DSOTM even if the actual songs were less essential. Like the Rolling Stones, they can still put on a great show and even release a song or two that stands up to their formidable early discography. My least favorite of the four (although I prefer Division Bell to either the Wall or Final Cut) but I'd still stop well short of dismissing them.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 04:30

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I never particularly liked DSOTM but I've always liked The Wall.I recently bought Animals and I like that a lot as well.I also like Meddle.So that basically leaves me confused I suppose

I agree about DSOTM. I think there was some good ideas on that album, but perhaps they hadn't matured as enough as conceptual songwriters to really pull it off. It seemed to me that they were trying to make a 'wierd' album.

I much prefer 'Meddle'  'WYWH' 'Animals' and 'The Wall'

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 04:54
For me WYWH was their top, but I see "jumping the shark" as deliberately changing their sound to sell more records. That's what Genesis did after Duke, but I don't think PF ever did it.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 08:15
I dont think they ever did either. They could never really be accused of selling out. They made their name on a very unique sound & style, which I dont think changed that much after Meddle.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 12:50

Ah they were rubbish after Waters left.

I can't stand his solo stuff and think he's a miserable, bitter, thoroughly unpleasant indiviodual but Floyd were pretty crap without Roger.

Where's the tension, the angst, the push and pull between magalomaniac miserabilist Water and curmudgeonly axe hero Gilmour. That's the dynamic that made such sweet music from Meddle to The Wall.

Okay, The Final Cut was pushing it a little (it's singularly the most depressing record I've ever heard) but even it has gems like most of the first side and the title track.

Afterwards what was left. Dave Gilmour hooking up with Dream Academy frontman and protege Nick Laid Clowes to write some hopeless words, a drummer who couldn't play anymore and a keyboard player more fragile than a roomful of china. Momentary Lapse is bland and vacuous, Division Bell even more so...

David Gilmour is probably my favourite guitar player on the planet but he's always been a songwriter of very intermittent quality. His solo albums are wishy washy affairs and his guardianship of Floyd has been characterised by the same mediocrity.

I'm no Waters apologist (Radio KAOS makes Division Bell look like Sgt Pepper's) but neither Floyd nor Waters were ever any good without each other. 

And David seems to finally have realised it by putting Floyd out to pasture and setting himself up as an ageing gunslinger for hire. Good man. 

They should all have called it a day after The Final Cut.

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 12:58
I agree with our Irish friend, same thing with :

Fish-Marillion

Gabriel-Genesis

Neal Morse-Spock´s Beard

Some people just can´t be replaced

Edited by Velvetclown
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 13:12

Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

I agree with our Irish friend, same thing with :

Fish-Marillion

Gabriel-Genesis

Neal Morse-Spock´s Beard

Some people just can´t be replaced

Wow I find myself agreeing with the Clover Clad fiend on this one!!

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 13:19

I disagree: AMLOR and TDB are way better than TFC... while not being masterpieces, indeed. But generally speaking, tracks such as 'On the Turning Away', 'Terminal Frost', 'Dogs of War', the two instrumentals of TDB, 'High Hopes', and TDB's track 3 (I forgot the title, the one with prominent acoustic guitar and that eerie carnival-like interlude) are good enough to give artistic dignity to those albums, and make them better tha TFC. At least, IMHO... 

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 13:20

I so disagree... The thought that they might of quit after Roger left and we wouldn't have gotten TDB... thats just too sad to contemplate.

Those that say the lyrics to AMLOR or TDB don't measure up to earlier PF works in just looking for grim.  There is nothing wrong with the words on the last 2 PF albums.  AMLOR had "On the Turning Away"... I don't care who wrote it... the words are very emotional, poignant and beautiful.  Sorrow is some of David's finest work... guitar and lyrics..  Atleast when I listen to AMLOR and TDB.. I can hear FLoyd... unlike The Final Cut... where I can't hear them at all.  And that guitar opening from "Coming Back to Life"... thats a sheer moment in ecstasy!

"No more turning away
From the weak and the weary
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?"

THIS IS ELP
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 13:20

Gabriel and Genesis - tough call. I still like some of the stuff on Trick and Wind and Wuthering and Duke's great. Even (and I know I'm gonna get shot for this) Abacab has it's moments (title track, Dodo)  But you're right ... it's the same thing, Gabriel brought a tension, some slightly crazed vision that pushed the others to the edge of their abilities to fnd the soundtrack to accompany him. When Collins took over it was, as that famous expression goes, kinda like being savaged by a dead sheep. No drive, no internal turmoil, just a watered down version. Occasionally that distills into something potent but by and large its pretty insipid.

As for Marillion and Spock's Beard - can't comment don't know enough about either (once had script and fugazi but ditched them pretty quick) but I have signed up for current Marillion's free sampler out of curiosity...

And, finally..... clover clad?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>