Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush 70s? 80s? 90s? No one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush 70s? 80s? 90s? No one?
    Posted: September 08 2004 at 20:55
Sorry if this post is gonna be a repeated one (and, by the way, sorry if anybody doesn't understand my english jeje).

Let's see, what do you think about the 3 distinct eras of Rush sound (70/80/90's)? which one do you prefer and why?

Personally I love the 70s era, I think that Rush played his true sound during these years. However, the 80's has been a great influence for other kind of bands (specially in progressive metal or neo-prog bands like Queensr˙che, Dream Theater, etc). Sincerely, I disclaim the work that Rush have made in the last 14 years.

At least, Rush have been one of the few bands with dignity along almost 30 years.

Edited by Andy Latimer
... and when they've given you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy, banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall ...
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 00:05

I prefer the 77-81 era, but there are also posterior albums such as 'Power Windows' and 'Hold Your Fire' that show much brilliance (specially the latter, though many seem to prefer PW to it). My fave 90s album is 'Test for Echo', which combines the rocking drive of its good predecessor 'Counterparts' and the taste for complex rhythm patterns of their best efforts from the past. 

Each and every live album has been simply terrific!! And the Rush in Rio DVD... ... nothing else to say but good performances, enthusiastic crowds, much fun, and even some images of pretty hot Brazilian girls

Edited by Cesar Inca
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 00:31
I'll say 1977-1985, say between Farewell and Power Windows.
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 02:23

Quote Sincerely, I disclaim the work that Rush have made in the last 14 years.

Your loss.  

Quote At least, Rush have been one of the few bands with dignity along almost 30 years.

I couldn't agree more. However, I can't resist pointing out how this statement contradicts your other one that I quoted above.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 02:40

For most of the seventies Rush were a heavy metal band pretending to be a prog band but by the eighties they had graduated to a more sophisticated technical approach.The grandiose 'Power Windows' was the culmination of that period and is underrated in my opinion being far superior to any rock music of the time.However the songs on 'Test For Echo','Counterparts' and 'Roll The Bones' are the best of any Rush era IMO.Therefore I vote for the NINETIES.

Andy Latimer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 06:03
Originally posted by dropForge dropForge wrote:

I couldn't agree more. However, I can't resist pointing out how this statement contradicts your other one that I quoted above.

Yeah, I am gonna explain it. I have some songs of the 90s era and besides I know some other for the live shows, enough to understand and respect his 90s but not enough to decide if this one is better (IMO) than the other (cause I like to compare stuff only when I know at 100% all the things). I hope you understand now.
... and when they've given you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy, banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall ...
Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 07:59

Rush = Best Album - Hemispheres.

Also like - Moving pictures, Permanent waves, Farewell to kings and 2112.

They are technically melodic heavy rock....

Not listened to any album since MP....Why - coz they went

all poppy with short pop songs - UNLESS ANYBODY TELLS ME DIFFERENT!

Andy Latimer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 09:34
hahaha Swinton, is it a telegram? stop
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 13:14
Originally posted by Swinton MCR Swinton MCR wrote:

Not listened to any album since MP....Why - coz they went

all poppy with short pop songs - UNLESS ANYBODY TELLS ME DIFFERENT!

Get the Signals CD! short songs? yes; pop songs? No. imagine the 8 tracks are merged into 2 tracks lasting around 20 minutes each: titles: side 1: seems to me it's chemistry; side 2: Learning to catch the heat of the third world man

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 13:21

Rush never ever went 'poppy'.I always get a little peeved when people have this formula in their head:

Long Songs = Prog

Short Songs = Pop

Prog was never about a formula or a set of rules.Good music is good music.In my opinion Rush make excellent intellegent rock music.That will do me.And I'm seeing them on Saturday.HURRAH!!

The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 13:40

Preferably, just the 70's stage...

break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 13:54
I love all the stages and all the albums. But If I had to pick a worst album I would have to say it is definetly "Presto", it had some good songs on it such as show dont tell and superconductor, but I find the album as a whole is kinda dry, i dont hate it, but it's definetly the worst.

I like thei 90's stuff too, but not as much as their 1974-1987 period, which is my fav.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 15:15

Rush are so good that I dont understand how they come to make the odd duff track, but bad albums never!!

Seems to me that they arent very good at self-assessment.To explain I will give examples:

1.The crap sound at Concerts over the last 20 yrs: since the Permanent Waves tour.

2. The dreadful mastering of Vapor Trails.

3. Songs like Face Up,Countdown, and Hand Over Fist

4.Dropping Terry Brown for studio albums

5.Doing an album of covers.

dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 21:42

Rush put out Feedback strictly for fun. They recorded it in a week or so. Nobody is forced to buy it. I bought it, and I like it. It's also very inexpensive. Anybody who paid more than $8-9 for it wasn't looking around.

Re: Terry Brown. Not all marriages last forever.

Quote Songs like Face Up,Countdown, and Hand Over Fist

"Countdown" is a great song. I was indifferent toward "Face Up," but now I actually kind of like it due to the improved sound of the Roll The Bones remaster. "Hand Over Fist" is ok. Not amazing, but not bad, either.

Edited by dropForge
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 23:21

Please someone point me at a decent album of theirs. Is it Hemiphere's?...Moving Pictures?, etc.... I have always disliked them ALOT but after seeing so much love for these guys I am wondering if I have been too closed minded!!!!

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 23:40

Everything from 2112 to Moving Pictures is pretty great.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 05:14

I've got time for their music from all eras, but my favourite era has to be '78 - '82 (Hemispheres to Moving Pictures) MP is the best rock album of all time, by any band IMO.

The only album I couldn't really get to grips with was 'Power Windows' and I wasn't that keen on 'Hold your fire'

I would agree that they were never pop. The first Rush song I heard was 'New world man' I thought it sounded like pop back then, but I was listerning to nothing Motorhead and Venom. I was sooooo wrong about Rush. They rock. I've just seen them both nights at Wembly this week. There was nothing poppy about that performance. My ears are still ringing!!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 05:18
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Please someone point me at a decent album of theirs. Is it Hemiphere's?...Moving Pictures?, etc.... I have always disliked them ALOT but after seeing so much love for these guys I am wondering if I have been too closed minded!!!!

70's Rush - yes try 'Hemispheres'

80's Rush - yes try 'Moving Pictures'

90's Rush - All good IMO.'Counterparts' just shades it.

00's Rush - 'Vapor Trails' is good despite some negative views on this thread but not one to get first.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 05:32

The last prog show I went to was Rush, and I agree- they're not at all mellowing with age, just getting better. They also seemed to be having a lot more fun on stage than the last time I saw them (I won't say when that was, but on the ride to the show the radio station played a song from a brand new band called "Guns and Roses").

Having said that, I still think that the pair "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" is the highlight of their career, as well as being the most 'prog' (although 2112 fans may disagree). And IMHO the "Moving Pictures"/ "Permanent Waves" pair were the best mixture of prog, hard rock, and pop accessibility that has ever been done.

But I even like their more recent, more pop-friendly stuff; "Time Stands Still" turns off a lot of people, but I find it quite expressive and a great example of Peart's consistently improving lyric skills. I could do without the rapping, but "Roll the Bones" is another song that surprised me when I was expecting the band to taper off. And I'm no audiophile (my 8-track is working nicely, thank you) but I thought Vapor Trails sounded fine- if anything, it has an intriguing raw edge that most of the 80s and 90s albums lacked.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 05:42
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Rush are one of those bands, that for some people can never be taken seriously. By some of their fans they are taken too seriously They are a 'cult band' which, of course means they have a large devoted following, but at the same time no one has heard of them.

I know people who have said they can never take to Rush, because of Geddy Lees voice, even now that it has at last broken! A true Rush fan likes his voice, and doesn't just tolerate it. Like any band they are not for everyone.

You've been given some good advice here about what Rush is a good starting point. I would like to reinforce the endorsement of 'Hemispheres' and 'Moving Pictures' in particular, but also try 'Permenant waves'

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>