Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedflower Kings ... as good as genesis??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 13:00
LOL

THAT'S A GOOD ONE!!!!   WE'RE REALLY TRYING TO BE FUNNY TODAY, RIGHT?

Nope, The Flower Kings aren't as good as Genesis.  They are billions of miles away from the level of originality or creativity of Genesis.  The Flower Kings reuse and regurgitate material from the past, add some flashiness to it, over-emphasize the singing for lame "dramatic effect", and then extend the songs to 10 or 20 times the length of time they should in order to fill up as many CD's as possible at a time.  If you really look at the music, I mean realistically and not buy into the hype, it's a joke.

The Flower Kings should be arrested for progressive posing, progressive sharades, and for recording excesses.

Edited by Flip_Stone - May 09 2006 at 13:04
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 14:11
Maybe I will give you an answer in 20 years... It is not the first time in this forums that I read opinions like this one (very respectable of course) but IMO still is too soon for appreciations like this one. Time and new generations are the best -and sometimes pitiless- judges...

Anyway TFK is a great band but is not one of my top 10...
... E N E L B U N K E R...
GPFR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 14:13
It's all down too opinion, I prefere Genesis.
www.myspace.com/hail_peter
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 14:27
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. The Flower Kings' musicianship and compositions are at the same level of quality, and I find them very enjoyable. The only thing is that Genesis was way before The Flower Kings. I think that's why everybody writes stuff like this off so quickly. The music is as good, but it's not as important (historically) or influential. I think it's unfair to judge based on the aforementioned.

It's like this in all areas of music it seems. When you ask someone who the greatest guitarist of all time is, majortiy vote will probably be to Jimi Hendrix. Why is this? Surely, it isn't because of his skill or songwriting. It's because of his groundbreaking ideas and techniques. He influenced so many. Nowadays, if you put Jimi up against (roughly) any guitarist (especially in prog), the other guy will destroy him.

So, I think The Flower Kings are as good, and as enjoyable as Genesis, but they will never get as much credit because of their chronological place in music.

Not true at all. Once again, people glorifying prog guitarists just because they play prog. 99% of prog guitarists couldn't come near Hendrix's playing. It wasn't about technicality, it was about the emotion of the song and the style of playing. Petrucci could come in and play 5000 notes to Hendrix's one, but no one would be affected by it. Too many notes don't mean you are a better guitarist. Once again, you can teach scales, but you can't teach how to play with emotional feel. The feel that Hendrix had.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 14:30
Yeah, music isn't boxing, you don't put two musicians close to each other and wait who "outpowers" who.

And the best musician is the best songwriter.

-- Ivan
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 14:53
I think that if TFK would had made Unfold The Future in 1972 everybody would agree that it was a masterpiece. My point is that TFK's music quality is as good a Genesis or Yes, maybe they can't reach the level of emotionality that this two bands have, but if we analize only the music , i would  say thy're on the same level, and even that TFK is better in some passages.

But I love Genesis and Yes too, and i think they deserve more credit because of the originallity, but also i think that TFK are terribly underrated, they are some of the best musicians of this era and they are full of ideas.
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 14:58
Originally posted by Rorro Rorro wrote:

I think that if TFK would had made Unfold The Future in 1972 everybody would agree that it was a masterpiece.

Haha, this seems like the most common excuse I hear from a TFK fan explaining why the majority doesn't believe that TFK is the greatest thing since sliced pancakes.

In response to this excuse: no, if they were active during 1972, they simply wouldn't have the fundamental genius groups to rip off and would end up... with an album that sounded like 50's rock? smooth jazz? If they were the same people, they'd come up with something unoriginal, derivative and uninspired. It DOES matter that their music is being made 30 years late than it was supposed to.

-- Ivan
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 15:09
Originally posted by ivansfr0st ivansfr0st wrote:

I think that if TFK would had made Unfold The Future in 1972 everybody would agree that it was a masterpiece.

Haha, this seems like the most common excuse I hear from a TFK fan explaining why the majority doesn't believe that TFK is the greatest thing since sliced pancakes.

In response to this excuse: no, if they were active during 1972, they simply wouldn't have the fundamental genius groups to rip off and would end up... with an album that sounded like 50's rock? smooth jazz? If they were the same people, they'd come up with something unoriginal, derivative and uninspired. It DOES matter that their music is being made 30 years late than it was supposed to.

-- Ivan

Ok, I love TFK, but i'm not a fan, in fact i'm not a fan of any group.
I agree with you that they wouldn't have enough influences to make an album like this, but i mean, what if a band (call it X) made exactly unfold the future in 1972, wouldn't you say that it is a masterpiece?, and i'm not talking about the originallity, i'm talking about purely in musical terms, the arrengment are so good, they're incredible (IMHO). I'm not saying that TFK is as good as the bands from 70's, i'm saying that they are at least as enjoyable as them for me.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 15:16

No, but they're the the best (as far as my memory serves me as of now) Modern Symphonic band in existence.

Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 15:19
With modern you mean "symphonic of the 90's" ?, if that's modern IMO Anglagärd is the best, but it's said to be retro prog.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 16:47

the flower kings as good as genesis......Shocked.????..better than genesis..???  what's this.... another "sacred cow" getting poked at with a sharp stick?? well everyone is entitled to their opinion, maybe they are  as good as genesis, but remember without genesis the flower kings would not exist!  (without a model 'T' Ford a Ferrari would not exist in theory!! ).

Edited by mystic fred - May 09 2006 at 16:53
Prog Archives Tour Van
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 17:38
You're right saying that without genesis TFK would never have existed.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 17:54

I don't think so. Stolt was already around in the 70s with Kaipa. Of course they were also influenced by Genesis and Yes, but I'm sure they would also have made very interesting music without this influence.
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 17:58
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I don't think so. Stolt was already around in the 70s with Kaipa. Of course they were also influenced by Genesis and Yes, but I'm sure they would also have made very interesting music without this influence.

Maybe, but not the same music they're producing right now, i think without those influences they would have gone another way.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 18:34

The Fact is, without Genesis, TFK and much more bands have never existed...

Anyway, i like TFK so much, i think they are a "creative" (despite the have been influenced) a skillful and on of the best bands nowadays...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 19:36

With modern you mean "symphonic of the 90's" ?, if that's modern IMO Anglagärd is the best, but it's said to be retro prog.

TFK is much more prolific, which counts for something. Smile
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 15:42
They have grown on me a lot lately, but to suggest that they are 'as good as Genesis' is just wrong, imo. They are as many have said, sometimes rather aimless and ambling. Few prog acts I know of have ever recorded as many double CDs and it's a frightening thought that if they were issued on vinyl, they'd be quadruple albums!! You don't need to have heard their music to get the impression that there's gonna be some plentiful filler there. Also, their music isn't even like Genesis' in the first place. Genesis were extremely innovative and knew the importance of good, concise songwriting. The Flower Kings' whole career can be tied down to two prog albums, imo- 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' by Yes(which I love) and 'Focus III' (half of which I love, half I don't) by Focus. Both are somewhat unwieldly at times yet the sound of The Flower Kings relies heavily on these bands, imo.

With tighter editing, you could find some superb songs on their albums and they'd probably be one of the great modern symphonic acts. As they stand, they are still an at times excellent act, but are frustratingly over-prolific.

Edited by salmacis - May 10 2006 at 15:44
jojim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 16:52
Are you crazy? - TFK are a second hand plagiat band with gifted musicians and a good sound engineer. That's all!!

Their compositions have no substance. You can take off a part of a song. Nothing gets better or worse. This is the proof of nonsense. Real music is stuck on a rigid timline. GENESIS are the masters of construction songs as a whole.

The most ridiculous with the TFK is the singer. He tries desperately to sound like John Wetton. He has no bad voice at all. But it is copy. Would you buy tami if you can get gold?

The music of TFK is appropriate to be played in big supermarkets. Even the grandmas would accept it. If you play GENESIS or YES albums in a mall people would kill you or the mall runs down.

To compare the music of GENESIS (YES, GENTLE GIANT etc.) with that of TFK is like comparing US-Today with THE TIMES. There is no link, no similarity. TFK try hard to express themselves with means of the past. That is ok. No doubt. But it has nothing to do with the niveau of the groups of the seventies.

In "Retropolis" Track 4, at 9:00 min, they sound like YES and John Wetton together. Absolutely ridiculous. Really.

If someone likes this music. Wonderful. But do not compare it to GENESIS or the rest of the scenery of the 70-ies.

My statement does not mean they are bad. Sincerly.

Hope I'm not too harsh with this thread.
YES - Close to the edge / UK - UK / GENESIS - The lamb lies down / KING CRIMSON - Discipline / MIKE OLDFIELD - Tubular bells / JETHRO TULL - Aqualung / GENTLE GIANT - Three friends / TMO - IMF
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 16:57
Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. The Flower Kings' musicianship and compositions are at the same level of quality, and I find them very enjoyable. The only thing is that Genesis was way before The Flower Kings. I think that's why everybody writes stuff like this off so quickly. The music is as good, but it's not as important (historically) or influential. I think it's unfair to judge based on the aforementioned.

It's like this in all areas of music it seems. When you ask someone who the greatest guitarist of all time is, majortiy vote will probably be to Jimi Hendrix. Why is this? Surely, it isn't because of his skill or songwriting. It's because of his groundbreaking ideas and techniques. He influenced so many. Nowadays, if you put Jimi up against (roughly) any guitarist (especially in prog), the other guy will destroy him.

So, I think The Flower Kings are as good, and as enjoyable as Genesis, but they will never get as much credit because of their chronological place in music.

Not true at all. Once again, people glorifying prog guitarists just because they play prog. 99% of prog guitarists couldn't come near Hendrix's playing. It wasn't about technicality, it was about the emotion of the song and the style of playing. Petrucci could come in and play 5000 notes to Hendrix's one, but no one would be affected by it. Too many notes don't mean you are a better guitarist. Once again, you can teach scales, but you can't teach how to play with emotional feel. The feel that Hendrix had.

This I know. However, I do believe Petrucci's work (at any speed) is emotionally charged. I feel a lot from his playing. Since this is a Flower Kings thread, I will also just point out that Roine's playing isn't a bunch of shredding, but man does he put his all into every note. I get so much from his playing. I do have a heap of respect for Hendrix, and I know exactly what you're saying. I personally never got much out of his stuff though. I'm not glorifying anybody just because they play prog; I said especially in prog because prog musicians generally have a greater theory knowledge, technical ability and melody orientation (coming from all kinds of sounds and styles). Obviously the value of the guitar work from an emotional aspect is a matter of opinion.

Edited by Moatilliatta - May 10 2006 at 16:58
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Tomodachi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 18:51
Genesis has the historical importance and the fascination that TFK can't have, so I consider Genesis a much more important prog band than TFK, but nevertheless I enjoy listening to TFK as much as Genesis. Of course this is my personal feeling, but I want to point out that my appreciation of TFK has grown after many many listens: I liked them very little at first listen.
I really can't understand nor tolerate all this ostility towards this band: the accusation of unoriginality and plagiarism is a commonplace IMO. You TFK haters should try a more attentive and not prejudicial listen. Then, if you will remain in the same opinion I will respect it, but at the moment I consider your prejudicial bashing as an offence to people who find TFK music interesting and enjoyable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>