Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlways the same bands!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Always the same bands!?!
    Posted: March 19 2006 at 17:05

I was was wondering why in the forum and in particulary the polls there are always the same bands and group members: Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson and sometimes Dream Theater!

In Progarchives there are more than 2000 bands is possible that everything is concentrated on those few (of course great) bands?

Why nobody talks about Black Widow, Hawkwind, Franco Battiato, Eldritch...and so on?

For every truth even the contrary is true...
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 17:07
a simple trip to the search function would fix your problem i'm sure...Search The ForumSearch

http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 17:10
Well, this is stating the obvious, but it's because they're the most popular. As much as I'd love to talk about Black Widow, Hawkwind, Franco Battiato or Eldritch, I've only heard of one of them.

You can always start your own threads!
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Well, I've tried to start topics on particularly undiscussed artists, to find the same three people are the only ones to comment.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

a few years back every other thread was about ELP, you should be thankful

Aaron

MorgothSunshine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 17:15
I tought people here wanted to expand their musical knowledge...there is nothing interesting on discuss always about the same thing, so CHOPPER it would be an occasion for you to know about new artists...
For every truth even the contrary is true...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 17:21
Originally posted by MorgothSunshine MorgothSunshine wrote:

I tought people here wanted to expand their musical knowledge...there is nothing interesting on discuss always about the same thing, so CHOPPER it would be an occasion for you to know about new artists...

That's fine, I'm always ready to hear about new bands.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 17:52
Originally posted by MorgothSunshine MorgothSunshine wrote:

I was was wondering why in the forum and in particulary the polls there are always the same bands and group members: Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson and sometimes Dream Theater!

In Progarchives there are more than 2000 bands is possible that everything is concentrated on those few (of course great) bands?

Why nobody talks about Black Widow, Hawkwind, Franco Battiato, Eldritch...and so on?

The reason is because they are among the most popular progressive bands, and they provide common ground for the members to initiate discussion.  For example, I have never heard one song by the bands you mention here, so I can't have a discussion with you about those bands.  But nothing's stopping you from initiating threads about those bands, particularly in the recommendation sections.  That's the best way to find other members who share your taste, and it also might draw folks like me over to find out if these bands are something I might want to get into.

I understand your frustration; how many threads about Close to the Edge or Supper's Ready can we possibly have, right?  (I don't want to know the answer. )  But the only way to have discussions on bands you care about are to generate those discussions.  I've started threads asking for recommendations in various sub-genres; if and when I can get some of these albums, then I'm part of a subgroup here who can have discussions about bands other than the usual suspects.  And to be honest, there's been plenty of posts and threads with members discussing music that I've never heard of (in fact, it happens all the time).

So, what's your favorite Pink Floyd album? 
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 21:56
If you want to see lots of activity on your posts, start them about the popular bands. I personally like to start topics on new bands that I have found that are worthy of mention. Doesn't get much response, and they quickly disappear from the current discussions, but who needs another thread on the favs? Don't give up, keep opening new threads about these excellent, but little discussed bands. If you feel they need advertising, advertise them, that's my motto- somebody might take notice and be glad they did.

[edit] It's the least I can do for those little known bands that give me a musical high.

Edited by cobb
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 23:03
I would like to talk more about not very popular bands...but unfortunatly it´s quite hard for me to get album from them...

...and besides talking about Crimson is always so much more fun! hehehehehe
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 23:22
So where does Black Widow sit with you? Early "metal" prototype or something quite unique?
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
White Feather View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 23:38

I`m surprised to read you say nobody talks about Hawkwind I think Hawkwind are great for what they are 

I tried Eldritch and I regret to inform you that I have heard better Italian prog metal so its little wonder not much gets said about that band, they had a fantastic keyboard player, but he left the band, hes not on the latest CD in fact they have no keyboard player anymore .. I suggest you try  Black Jester "the divine comedy"  or Mind Key "journey of a rough diamond") if you like Italian Prog metal  

Edited by White Feather
I Love Music View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 23:41

Hi , I hope someone will will read this. I don't know why I hardly ever write on this discussion board, I will honestly have to say I tend to suffer from writers block, but then again there are a lot of not so popular bands I have encountered on here that I heard of and love to hear more about. One is that band Maxophone from the Italian prog genre, I am anxious to purchase that upcoming DVD, I truly enjoyed the album they made, very nice orchestral arrangements, and some great musicanship. Like many other bands who have the same talent as well like Yes, Genesis, and The Moody Blues, I this band just happened to pop into my head because I saw the advertisement on the billboard on the homepage. My name is Greg and like I said before I am one of those people who would like to talk to people about the bands we see on here that we never really hear about as much as we should. I will give examples of bands that I truly dig...

Omega is now on my top 5 list of favorite bands (even though I only own 2 albums by them but I mean I was totally blown away by the album Time Robber) along with Yes, Strawbs, Black Sabbath, & Pink Floyd. I also love bands like Earth and Fire, I Giganti, Le Orme, PFM, Prudence, Fantasy, Spring,  Grobschnitt, Beggars Opera, Ange, early Deep Purple, Rainbow, and a lot of others just can't think of now.

Just one last statement before I close this essay up. I have noticed many people not agreeing with the fact that there are now bands on here like The Beatles, Iron Butterfly, HP Lovecraft etc. How could you say such a thing, these bands are totally prog inspired. Sgt Pepper was without a doubt a major breakthrough in the establishment of what they call Prog. Its symphonic, each many song shave a story to tell lyric wise and plus the great long jamming, another fine example would be Inda godda da via (pardon if i did not spell that right) all those symphonic bands from the 70's were certainly known for long jams, well ther eis one right there, and I seem to think if there was no psycadellic era there prolly wouldn't be what they call prog. Forgive me for saying this I just do not seem to like the term prog, I would call this music, symphonic, I don't know. Please though, hear me out, don't forget about Blue Cheer!

Greg

Greg Lesniak
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 02:31
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

Aaron

'The ELP Wars' ...so many casualties...people threatening to leave the forum...threatening to rip each others heads off..great fun!

Edited by richardh
surfdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 02:33
Well here's proof,

I was/am a Porcupine Tree, Opeth addict... Oceansize too...  I came here strictly by chance (thanks Google). The archives are awesome by the way.   But, I listen to the Strawbs, Amplifier, Isis, Magic Pie, and the Flower Kings, all because of this forum. And I've only been a forum member a week or so.....

I love peoples Top 10....  rarely are they the same.... and you can match up your taste with theirs and get turned on to some great bands.

Just my two cents.......
::Just Sittin here chillin::

Robby
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 03:31
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

Aaron

Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 04:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, this is stating the obvious, but it's because they're the most popular. As much as I'd love to talk about Black Widow, Hawkwind, Franco Battiato or Eldritch, I've only heard of one of them.

You can always start your own threads!
Exactly.
 Post Reply Post Reply