Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZeuhl 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 95>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 09:28
Yes it is a little OTT (I find this to be the case with a lot of reviews from that site), but it is quite informative so thank you for this.

In regards to Datetenryu, yes you are quite correct they are a Japanese band.

Here is a little bit of information on the band, not in the most detail but it should give a little idea.

Funky bass, swirling keyboards, melodic riffs, epic, soaring solos -- Japan's Datetenryu sports all the hallmarks of the notorious psychedelic prog-rock genre. And well it should: This group from the Kansai area (Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto) dates back to 1971, and is considered a prog progenitor in its native land. The band -- which was named after a racehorse (Datetenryu loosely translates as "cool flying dragon")
an underground band formed in 1971. They apparently played a kind
of psychedelic progressive rock with blues touches. Guitarist Hiroshi Narazaki was also in Brain Police and Les Rallizes Denudes . There are numerous CDs available covering recordings from 1971-1981, but I don't think they released any albums at the time. The only CDs I have titles for are 'Datetenryu' [rec. 1971], 'Unto' [Belle Antique, 1978/1997?; out of print] and 'Red Afternoon Blues' [Walking Press Records, 2004]
[source:the internet:]

Ah I just did another search then and they have offical website, which I was quite surprised about.

homepage2.nifty.com/unto/cinema.html
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:50

They sound quite interesting. Had a look at the site and they are of the same vintage as Jacks and Spiders (remember Monkey Magic) ? !  Very underground I suspect BV !

Also nice to see Les Rallizes DeNudes gettin' a couple of mentions on this thread !

Please feel free to PM anytime ☆

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 17:47
Haha... I think I might be a little young to remember the real versions of Monkey Magic. But over here in Australia when I was very yuong they had a cartoon version of the show that I used to watch. My memory is a bit vage but I it might have been based around the Japanese show.

Les Rallizes DeNudes. This is about as underground as things get, quite expensive collectors items if I might say so.

This is a fantastic site about the band... though I think most of us are going to have a bit of trouble reading it . Most of it is in Japanese, but from what I can tell seems to go into a bit of detail about the band... correct me if I am wrong in saying this.

www.yk.rim.or.jp/~ubud/rallizes.html

From I have:

- Studio & Soundboard
- Live '77 2CD

sitting on my computer, but has as yet to listen to them. Consiquently I have heard them likened to bands like "People" do you know how true this is?
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 18:12

No problems with the reading BV only the loading haha !

Yes BV you are far too young ! And the original Monkey Magic was rather good !

Did you catch my ex-boss post ? Many stories here !      

sometimes I can read Japanese but can't be arsed to (if this makes sense)
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 18:31
I'm going to assume your ex-boss was Mimaki Toshirou?

I would be more than interested to here some stories

You wouldn't happen to have heard any stories about the infamous incident occuring in 1970? Where Wakabayashi was supposedly involved to some degree in the hijacking of a Boeing 727 orchestrated by the Japanese Red Army. Singer Takashi Mizutani was allegedly offered a role in the hijacking but turned it down?

I don't know if this is true but I have heard rumours going aruond the internet .

I'm listening to one of their albums now, and it is beginning to come clear their stance (Takashi Mizutani's in particular) against "polished" pop music. The production is not something to die for
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 18:40

you are on the right lines there BV !

my ex-boss (one chance in 5 million he is reading this right now) has totally changed track. Let's just say he is into the younger girl market.

BTW apparantly Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree is posting.

I heard (from these guys last year) that Stella Vander was a regular poster 2 years ago.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 18:48
Originally posted by Yukorin Yukorin wrote:

my ex-boss (one chance in 5 million he
is reading this right now) has totally changed track. Let's just say he
is into the younger girl market.

That is a shame, as it seems totally against what his old band was all about Especially when they keep themselves underground for their near 30 year career. Seems other instincts have gotten the better of him

BTW apparantly Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree is posting.

This wouldn't happen to be in reply to the certain thread about PT moving to RR records?

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 19:08

BV you are wasted here. Please write a book. I will be first in the line.

I'm serious.

Also I read a few posts by Steven Wilson and some of the responses got me right peeved. I don't really know any of the mans' work but I like to think we welcome new members here. BV, you know so much. But I bet a small per cent was from visiting here.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 20:35
Thank you for this immense compliment. But I don't think you should be discrediting yourself here, there is a lot of knowledge comnig for your direction as well

As for a book, I really would not know where to start! There is an article in Japanese Progressive music floating around the internet. I am not sure of the link at the moment but it is by another Australia. The biggest problem with the Japanese scene is how far removed from Western society it is, so it mostly gets over looked . I'm glad that you are appreciating my input into this site.

You would be amazing the wealth of information I have gain from this site. I have picked up much knowledge from many of the overlooked facets of progressive rock. In particular the French scene, which I am slowly trying to piece together.

Haha... I have heard that Steven Wilson can get on some people verse a bit. Having not contact with him I'm not ready to pass judgement as of yet.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 22:02

BV start writing. I'm so serious.

I can only talk Zeuhl and Krautrock (and, if you really push me, the early years of The Human League)

You are wasted here my friend ! Get yerself down to a publisher 'I haves a nice lil earner here'  Can't go wrong ! Mention yer ol' friend Yukorin for 10 per cent while yer at it.

Seriously great knowledge, I would PM you on this. But, the wider audience needs to know.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 03:12
Hmmm... I will give you a PM sometime, maybe to talk a little more. It just happens I'm a little rusty on my Zeuhl, which is something I need to do something about.

Listening to LSD-March at the moment, I heard them likend to Les Rallizes Denudes and Fush*tsusha(which I have regretfully yet to hear); more to the lighter more triped out sound. Do you know or like this band. They are quite new on the scene releasing their first album in 2001
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 03:32

Having heard Fush*tsusha (probably one of AMT's Kawabata Makoto side projects) all I can suggest is to prepare yourself. No respect for Dolby !

Did you track down the Triple Zero cd yet ? Probably no chance of a download. Bizarre cd jacket as well (in that there isn't one)
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 03:44
Poor Dolly loses out again ; as seems to be the case with most of the underground acts. At first this annoyed me but it is coming to be something I can appreciate. But I am still going to brace myself. Surpirsingly LSD-march has been very dosile on the ears, even throwing in some of that obscure Japanese folk, with wealth of space rock leanings.

No I have not been able to track down Triple Zero. I did notice that most places with information didn't possess cover artwork. Though I was looking at rateyourmusic.com and this is the image they had up for the album which is interesting. Have you seen this used before, maybe a repressing cover... I really have no idea.

Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 11:56

As an aside, my old boss used to be the original drummer in the ultra-mysterious Les Rallies DesNudes/Hadaka no Rallies ! Right miserable sod he is.

Ok, back on zeuhl. Can anyone answer my earlier question about the best version of Kohntarkosz I ever heard ?

The bootleg is on the world-renowned 'Kisses Deluxe' (Kiss No.11) label and Kohntarkosz is 33mins32. Claims to be recorded at Reims, France in Mars (March May ? ! My French is pitiful haha) 2nd, 1976.

The sound quality is all over the shop but it really adds to the tension ! Surely not the same as the 7th Records release ? !

As an occasional Zeuhl surfer I read this thread from time to time and your dialogues, based on your complicity and knowledge, are strange and fun to read at the same time....

OK just for the record 'The  Magma Reims (Opéra de Reims) Concert 02/03/1976' was officially released by Seventh as a  3CD set with exactly the track length you mentionned. 
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 12:30

Thank you Alucard !

Wow ! The recording really is shocking. Looks like I'm gonna buy that triple cd.

(just had another listen to her and, yes, it appears it was recorded in Klaus Blasquizs'  Y-fronts)
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 01:49
I know this is not strickly on the topic of Zeuhl but Yukorin I was wondering what your opinion of Brast Burn and Karuna Khyal is? I have written a review for Karuna Khyal, I was very surprised to see this on the archives. So you know their music?
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 02:14

Had the Brast Burn knocking around on tape somewhere. Bit of a free-for-all ritualistic freak-out as I recall. Haven't heard it for years however as the tape possibly commited a self-sacrifice suicide. Either that or someones half-inched it. Would love to hear Karuna Khyal ! Closely linked ? Same band ?

BV, the 000 cd has a very thin transparent sleeve and a round insert the same size as the cd. Very cheap looking but the music I feel will be right up your street. Could always burn you a copy if interested.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 02:53
Yes Karuna Khyal is very closely link, rumoured the same people. So same band different name. There is nothing known about the line-up, but I have word that it was the project of some of the managers of Voice Records (the label which released it)

One second I will find the review I did for it. I'm not the best reviewer but it should give a bit more indepth idea.

"Alomoni 1985 is a long lost artefact from the underground Japanese scene during the mid '70s. The album was release privately by Voice records around 1976 and re- released on Paradigm Discs in 1998, limited to 500 hand numbered records. There is very little known about the group; band members and production information are both unknown. Around the same time ('75) the group released another album under a different name Debon by Brast Burn which act as a perfect pair to this album.

Over the last decade many rumours about the band have been circulating the Japanese Psychedelic underground scene who owes a huge debt to Karuna Khyal in all their oddities. Although hailing from Japan their influences are mainly drawn from the German Kraut rock scene, following in the foot steps of greats such as Faust, Guru Guru and Can, alongside large influences from the bluesy rock played by Hapshash & The Coloured Coat and Captain Beefheart. Throughout the vocals are not dissimilar to Damo Suzuki hysterics; mumbled and sometimes screamed in insanity. Their overall sound is defined by their raw primitive bluesy sound, wealths of tape manipulation, plenty of mouth organ, electronic sounds, electrifying jam sessions, crazy vocals… all packaged up nicely into two lengthy composition.

Contain only two full blown psychedelic trip clocking in just short of 50 minutes this album will leave you strung out pleading for your sanity back. Each song is structured up on hypnotic rhythms, which is surprising considering the lack of drums in the album. In short this is one of the most addictive albums I have ever listened to. This one will be put on repeat for days at a time, unable to bring myself to stop the immense pleasure I receive from listening to this album.

The first piece "Karuna Khyal part 1" is a connection of smaller pieces fused together to produce one large song. In most cases an amazing flow between the pieces is found throughout. Imagine Captain Beef heart's Minor man slowing down to about half pace counteracted by other worldly ambience built up via haunting tap loops and frightening side guitar work. Unfortunately this track can loose its footings at times spoiling the overall effortless flow of the song. The only thing I can say about the second song "Karuna Khyal part 2" is Perfection. This is of the most electrifying psychedelic/ experimental music I have heard. The madness only intensifies from here on in, reminding me somewhat of Hapshash & The Coloured Coat's early material. I cannot describe this track with words; it is something you have to listen to believe.

This was one of my first introductions into the Japanese scene and holds a dear place in my heart. This is not to say it was love at first site, it was a tedious experience coming to terms with the genius of this album. At first there seemed little point or direction to this album, but with each listen you will piece together new links. I cannot stress enough time is something this album needs.

Unfortunately I cannot award Alomoni 1985 with a five star rating like I would if the album was solely "Karuna Khyal part 2". I can find too many faults in the first song to confidently give this a masterpiece status. Highly recommended especially to fanatic Kraut rock and Japanese psychedelic fans."

Yes I am very interested in the 000 cd, PM me and maybe we could sort something out?

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 05:56

Anytime Brast Burn get a mention Nurse With Wound is involved. Their 1st album (stone cold classic incidentally) contained a sheet of paper with Steven Stapleton's (progressive rock collector extraordinaire and NWW/United Dairies founder) recommendations. At the time it was thought that a lot of the bands on 'the NWW list' were imagined. I think everything has been accounted for now.

By the way Mr Stapleton is one of the good guys for me: fiercely independent, supremely creative and witty, and always looking to promote hidden gems. His label's Sand 'Golem' and live Xhol Caravan releases were excellent. Unsurprisingly he isn't on this site as NWW are too out-there for most tastes although a lot of their output (which is a helluva lot) should appeal to anyone with an interest in the avant-garde.

On the chance meeting on a dissecting table of Mr Stapleton and progarchives: Good on yer Steven. If you happen upon Tokyo the first pint of over-priced Guinness is on me

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 06:33
Are yes the infamous NNW list. Steve has really done some good work putting it together. Also just a mishape I love the work he has done with David Tibet. It is good to see the old Krautrock and Japanese scene is not totally over looked in his tastes.

This is a nice site which state particular albums by the bands on the list

myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ultimathule/nww/nwwlist.html

I have heard little NNW which is unforunate; especially when my local store stock some works. I remember their first being in there a little while ago but last time I checked the stock it was gone I have been meaning to look more deeply into the early English experimental scene, but have as of yet the put aside much time for this plight.

What do you know about their 1987 release:

DRUNK WITH THE OLD MAN OF

is it worth my while?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 95>