Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZeuhl 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 95>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 12:45

Good work bhikkhu !

It's a surprisingly easy listen dontcha' think
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 18:34
I too find the ol' copey a good read for most parts, I find myself going back time and time again to read up on those obscure bands he some how gets his hands on. Though as you said it does seems strange to sl*g off such bands as Verto, from what I have heard it sounds quite good and no need for harsh remarks, but I guess that is my opinion.

Yurkorin, which books do you have by him? Are they a good read? What subjects to the touch upon?

Also another thing, I really would like to know where he gets his resources. Some of the material he reviews is extremely rare. Like I was reading his review on Tokyo Kid Brothers, I have no idea how he tracked this one down, it is almost impossible to find information about them let alone the album.    
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 22:49
Originally posted by Yukorin Yukorin wrote:

Good work bhikkhu !

It's a surprisingly easy listen dontcha' think

Definitely more accessible than I would ever have imagined. Still, it remains quite complex. Quite a nice balance achieved there. It also has a much more updated sound than Magma. I'm not sayiing that makes it better, just different.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 03:04

I feel that Dun are more on the RIO side of things but their nationality (and monster bass) aligns them with zeuhl. Keep spreadin' that word bhikkhu !
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 03:11

BV, I've got a couple of Copey tomes.

Krautrocksampler is a mini-intro chock full of historical inaccuracies but very entertainingly written (and overwhelmingly enthusiastic)

Also 2 books (one is called 'Head On', the other name escapes me for the min') detailing the Copesters teenage years and then moving on to Teardrop Explodes. Both pull no punches and offer a wealth of classic R n' R debauchery. Beautifully written.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 06:29

BV, I've got a couple of Copey tomes.

Krautrocksampler is a mini-intro chock full of historical inaccuracies but very entertainingly written (and overwhelmingly enthusiastic)

Also 2 books (one is called 'Head On', the other name escapes me for the min') detailing the Copesters teenage years and then moving on to Teardrop Explodes. Both pull no punches and offer a wealth of classic R n' R debauchery. Beautifully written.

I've read and enjoyed all of them - like you I find it odd that such a Zeuhl/Krautrock devotee is also so resolutely anti prog. I think he's just in denial.

One of the more intriguing stories about Julian Cope concerns Courtney Love, who briefly lived in his house in Liverpool. Apparently Copey chucked her out because her father kept sending her packages of drugs through the mail, and he was getting worried. Enough drugs to frighten Julian Cope? The mind boggles...

Edited by Syzygy - August 18 2006 at 06:30
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 12:09

Man, sometimes I can't understand the Copester at all.

He can write with a childlike innocence and exquisite beauty about an obscure bootleg 8-track from an underground Antartican three-legged donkey led travellin' nomadic triangle-based folk quintet but show the man early Genesis and tha bile will rise. Why ? I don't know.

A touch of elitism I fancy but Droolian ! Keep on writin' heh !

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 03:43

but show the man early Genesis and tha bile will rise. Why ? I don't
know.

looks like copey and I have something in common

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the elitism comment. He does seem to rave on about some very rare albums which are not top notch.

Back on topic, I was having a browse over a Zeuhl orinentated site and stumble across a few French band who baffled my knowledge. So I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the following groups?

Cortex (France)
Yochk'o Seffer (France)
Anaïd (France)

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 03:58

Jeff 'Yochko' Seffer is ex-Magma, Zao, and Uniweria Zekt. Went on to make dozens of solo LP's usually 'Neffesh Music something or other' with, presumably, Hungarian roots. For some reason Zao still tour Japan every year.

Anaid are more Jazz. Cortex so-so

Found a nice list:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/8366/ZEUHL-discogabc.html

2 to avoid:

Michel Altmayer
Musique Noise

(trust me on this....)
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 04:40
Thanks for the site Yukorin, it even inspired me to crack out the ol' Abus Dangereux vinyl.

Anaid are more Jazz

I'm starting to notice this with a lot bands who get the Zeuhl label. For instance I'm really questioning Lagger Blues Machine being catagourised in this section, anyone agreeing with me here?

Looking through those names I could not help but look twice at this:

Thollot, Jacques - Cinq Hops   
( 1978 , Free Bird FLY 03 , France )

Is this the same Jacques Thollot who released Quand Le Son Devient Aigu, Jeter La Girafe A Lamer (1971). I have this album an enjoy it greatly, as I think lovers of Avant-garde would. If this guy has had a crack a Zeuhl I'm definately interested in the result.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 10:55

Same guy BV. Haven't heard either but will be checkin' that '71 recommendation. He also did some collabs with Magma members.

You won't be surprised to learn that he is on a NWW list !  Found a great site:

http://tgk.konshak.org/nww/nwwartists.html

An' yes there does seem to be a lot of French fusion outfits that get thrown into zeuhl. Possibly down to nationality, musicians cross-collabarating, and general obscurity.

The very obscure Ex-Vitae are a case in point.  They recorded one self-released LP which I had heard was a zeuhl classic, tracked 'er down, paid over the odds, and got a very light jazz-fusion instead. It's a great record but zeuhl classic 'tis not.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 11:36
I've been meaning to get Jacques Thollot - Quand Le Son Devient Aigu after being told it is worth seeking out. What do you say about it? And what about his other releases?
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 11:38

Re: Tokyo Kid Brothers

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/465

I heard about Copey's new book 'JapRockSampler'
a while back an' thanks for reminding me BV.

Have to say this is not going to go down well in Japan. The word 'Jap' has only ever been used as a racial slur in Japan and has never been used to define a genre or period of creative music in or outside Japan.

Bad move Julian.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 12:30
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

Thanks for the site Yukorin, it even inspired me to crack out the ol' Abus Dangereux vinyl.

Anaid are more Jazz

I'm starting to notice this with a lot bands who get the Zeuhl label. For instance I'm really questioning Lagger Blues Machine being catagourised in this section, anyone agreeing with me here? 

Part of this is down to Magma's ever changing line up including just about every talented jazz/rock/fusion player active in France in the 1970s, which means that all kinds of bands wind up being classified as Zeuhl on the grounds that the keyboard player toured with Magma for 3 months in 1973. It's a bit like the degrees of Kevin Bacon game in Hollywood.

If you applied the same principle to Gong or Soft Machine the Canterbury scene would be about 10 times the population of Canterbury.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 16:59
Here is a little information on the album on the list of Zeuhl bands. Translated so, excuse the poor english.

Jacques Thollot

“Five Hops”, album left into 78.

Jacques Thollot is one of the French beaters too ignored with my direction, and which it is urgent to discover to appreciate his work with his right value. Early beater in the German Saint of Paris which will give its letters of nobility to a be-bop in full effervescence.

Thollot learns the writing and the harmony with Jean Baraqué (contemporary type-setter missing in the Seventies), from there, its compositions will have this single color between jazz, contemporary writing and the French school. “Five hops” is all that at the same time, and perhaps its album more led in this direction. The voice soprano of Elects Ross gives to the unit a single charm between classicism and modernity. To also note the humorous and enigmatic side titles: “On 12 notes, roughly”, “Three years in front of, three years beyond, ouf, one year already”. The pieces make the beautiful share with asymmetrical measurements with titles like: ” Furnace furnace five eight ", “Over 9 times”, etc…

I was likely to meet Jacques Thollot and of the interviewer for Batteur Magazine, unfortunately, the article is never been published fault of topicality due to a long crossing of the desert of the artist. I nevertheless discovered somebody interested by the instruments electronic and curious to integrate these sounds into his music. However, I think one of these days of retranscribing this interview here.

On this album, Jacques Thollot is accompanied by François Jeanneau, François Couturier, Michel Graillier and Jean-Paul Céléa.

A last thing, if somebody includes/understands the photograph on the small pocket, that it does not hesitate has poster a message….it is the return of the schmilblick; -)

---------------------------------------------------

A original LP copy of "quand le son devient aigu," Just went on Ebay for around $62 US so it is not overly expensive. If people are interested, you can buy the album remastered in CD formate from Musea for 21 euro.

musea.musearecords.com/ext_re_new_catselect.php?np=2451

Here is the little excert:

The reissue, on its original label Futura, from a mythical and very rare record from the early Seventies French scene. Jacques THOLLOT, a drummer, breaks the style frontiers between jazz and rock, a bit in the same way as Robert WYATT on "The End Of An Ear", and proposes a surprising collage full of creativity.

For me personally this is well worth the money, the whole album is composed by Thollot, and does focus intently on drums and piano. Mostly tight-ish composition while still keeping than nice avant-garde sound.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 17:07

Re: Tokyo Kid Brothers

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/465

I heard about Copey's new book 'JapRockSampler'
a while back an' thanks for reminding me BV.

Have to say this is not going to go down well in Japan. The word 'Jap'
has only ever been used as a racial slur in Japan and has never been
used to define a genre or period of creative music in or outside Japan.

Bad move Julian.

Yes I do think this racial slur might be a wee bit of a problem! I have never heard Jap used in terms of complimenting ones race.

But I'm thinking this is defiantely going to be a good read, I'm sure there are going to be may unheard of band coming onto my want list after reading it . Also it will be nice to see some other opinion on some of the Japanese album I have heard.

If anybody is interested in Tokyo Kid Bothers you know where my PM button is! From my knowledge this was release by the theatrical troupe led by
Tenjo Sajiki that would later become known as J.A. Caesar!
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 07:26
I just thought I would post this interview as at least I have been interested in this mans music.

Interview Thollot

It does seem that his later work is involved in the Zeuhl side of music. I looked up on my stores site and thankfully some of his albums are avaliable for order, specifically Ceux d'en face (those of opposite). So hopefully over the next few weeks get down there and place my order in. There might be some waiting time envolved as is usually the case with my store
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 11:22

Eider Stellaire 1

front cover:

back cover:

written note by Michel Le Bars:

if anyone can translate this it will be much appreciated
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member