Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 12:36
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^ sure it is - a compact disc is not virtual. It's a piece of plastic, some paper and a plastic case. Of course you can sell it.

Are you deliberately not understanding????

Its not just a piece of plastic, if it was we would have nothing to write about!

About a month ago there was a lengthy article in my favorite computer magazine. From that I gather that it's absolutely legal (at least in Germany) to sell CDs and DVDs. Other countries might be different, but Germany is one of the most strict countries in terms of copyright ...

Why are you all so concerned about the word "distribution"? It hasn't got much to do with selling a used CD, has it?

Mike..is this a wind up? At NO POINT have I said that its illegal to sell DVDs or CDs!!!

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 12:55
I have to ask this question:  is there an organization in UK and elsewhere that has as much political power there as the RIAA does in America?  I ask because the more you read, the more you find that the RIAA has several government organizations, particularly the FBI and FCC, in its front pocket.  the FCC is beginning to pass really oppressive laws regarding public broadcast (this affects me as an independent radio jockey).  Because of the RIAA, there are laws and hefty fines issued for playing too many songs from the same artist in a certain time span.  In essence, if I wanted to play a live album from a certain band in its entirety, I could be fined heavily by the FCC, all because the RIAA is afraid someone is at home recording the show.  This seems F-ing ridiculous to me, and I'm wondering if there are similar rules in other countries?
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

I've download official bootlegs before now (from www.archive.org), which the bands in question, have been happy to co-operate with and have even advertised this fact as well, they freely let people record at concerts and put the concert up for free on the Internet.  Now, if the bootlegger in question was selling these on for a profit, that could be a different matter.

I have also bought a concert from an official band concert website, which have come directly from the soundboard of the band in question.

But my question is, is this legal?  I presume it is, as long as I do not re-distribute said music for a profit  (except for the one I bought)?

Concert recordings on the archive are neither official (at least, not usually) nor bootlegs. They are however legal . The same goes for lots of show trading sites, like www.dimeadozen.org. Presumably the concert you bought was under a similar agrement to a conventional CD, although generally more lax - the Phish service, for example, allows you to make copies for personal use wheras in most countries buying a normal CD does not.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 13:03
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

I have to ask this question:  is there an organization in UK and elsewhere that has as much political power there as the RIAA does in America?  I ask because the more you read, the more you find that the RIAA has several government organizations, particularly the FBI and FCC, in its front pocket.  the FCC is beginning to pass really oppressive laws regarding public broadcast (this affects me as an independent radio jockey).  Because of the RIAA, there are laws and hefty fines issued for playing too many songs from the same artist in a certain time span.  In essence, if I wanted to play a live album from a certain band in its entirety, I could be fined heavily by the FCC, all because the RIAA is afraid someone is at home recording the show.  This seems F-ing ridiculous to me, and I'm wondering if there are similar rules in other countries?

I don't know about all countries, but Canada, the UK and Germany certainly have RIAA equivalents. While they have varying degrees of power, it's nothing like the RIAA. I believe there are some Asian countries without any real association, and I think the copyright situation is significantly different in Scandinavian countries as well as the Netherlands. Beyond that, I don't really know, although I'm sure someone else does
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 13:05
www.muletracks.net I think, it's for Gov't Mule shows.  I bought the show I actually attended in March last year and it's still amazing.  15$ it cost me and I'm happy to pay that.  You get the covers and stuff for the dual case as well.  Gov't Mule are friends with Phish, so I guess it's a similar service.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 13:06
Originally posted by White Queen White Queen wrote:

According to these laws, you can't watch a movie with a friend

"Any unauthorized....public performance....is strictly prohibited"

It's not a public performance unless you invite the public in
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 13:08

www.muletracks.net I think, it's for Gov't Mule shows.  I bought the show I actually attended in March last year and it's still amazing.  15$ it cost me and I'm happy to pay that.  You get the covers and stuff for the dual case as well.  Gov't Mule are friends with Phish, so I guess it's a similar service.

Yep, same T&C, pretty much.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 13:12
Ah, that's good to know then!  When I finally get into Phish, I may end up buying some of their shows.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 14:21

Many questions, will go 1 by one

1.-

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Ivan,

It's great that you are keeping an eye on such things on behalf of the site. I must admit, i find it astonishing that offering to sell CDs or DVDs you have legally bought may be illegal. There must be second hand CD and DVD shops world-wide. Are they really technically breaking the law every time they buy or sell a CD or DVD?

IMO it's not a felony, this warning is wrong, illegal and attempts against the right of property. But the RIAA and their partners outside US created a legal fiction, you don't buy a CD or DVD, you buy the right to play it in your house for your personal use, that's why they say that even lending it ois a copyright infridgement.

Probably with a good lawyer) any person would win the case, but RIAA and their friends don't want or need to win the case, the legal fees are so high that if they sue any person or small society, they will have to settle.

Most of the people sued by the RIAA for downloadin could be forced to pay US$ 125,000.00 "PER SONG" but almost all the cases were settled in US$ 12,000,00 because nobody could afford a trial.

Second hand stores may be acting against his rule, but we know RIAA doesn't care for this small traders, their enemy is INTERNET, not only for illegal downloading but because sites explain to the possible clients which album is good and which one is crap, they want people to buy blindly without any info.

Plus probably 2nd hand stores have authorizatoion of the labels.

The other thing you could perhaps clarify. Does the site have any responsibility if people chose to trade in CDs and DVDs (legitimate ones, not bootlegs, copies etc.)? I.E. If the site is not actually offering to buy or sell the CDs itself, can it be implicated because someone posed a message here?

The site can't be considered responsible for what people do, but can be accused of encouraging or at least allowing illegal activities if WE don't block the threads and make an specific anouncement against this activities.

2.-

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I never did understand why its illegal to copy a CD for someone and yet ok to sell it second hand.

Well if you copy a CD FOR YOUR PERSONAL USE it's legal (At least it was until a few months ago), but if you copy a CD for another person (with or without profit) you are duplicating copyrighted material without being owner and giving it to another person who won't buy it.

All started with the  famous process  called  The Betamax case (Universal Studios vs Sony Corporation of America -NOW PARTNERS WITH RIAA- ).

Universal studios sued Sony because they said that the Betamax would be used to make illegal copies of copyrighted movies, at the end the sales of Viedo players were so high and everybody had a VCR or Betamax, that it was futile (Both companies had illimited resources, so they were able to appeal and appeal and appeal and the trial lasted a long time), so they created terms, in which a movie could not be sold in Video Cassettes and a period in which it could not be showed on TV.

People was allowed to make personal copies, but not to sell them.

3.-

^ sure it is - a compact disc is not virtual. It's a piece of plastic, some paper and a plastic case. Of course you can sell it.

No Mike, you own the plastic of the CD and the plastic of the case, but the author and/or publisher owns the material recorded and the art on the cover, you are only granted an authorization to make personal use of it.

Silly, but that's the law.

4.-

^theoretically it may be possible that even the artist him/erself is not authorized to sell those recordings, or to give them away for free. I remember that on the Devin Townsend homepage a link to a bootleg was removed a couple of weeks later "on request of the record label". Apparently sometimes the record label has more rights than the artist.

Not theoretically Mike it's  a fact, unless the author is the publisher, in USA, Canada, UK and in most of the world, the first 25 years after the release of an album, the owner was the publisher. After this period and for a lapse between then and 50 to 120 years (Depending on specific laws) the author or his/her family owns the rights.

Duration of copyright in literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works.

12.—(1) Copyright in a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work expires at the end of the period of 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the author dies, subject to the following provisions of this section.

Note: In USA the terms reach 120 years after the first publication in some cases.

Duration of copyright in typographical arrangement of published editions.

15.    Copyright in the typographical arrangement of a published edition expires at the end of the period of 25 years from the end of the calendar year in which the edition was first published.

This is the key article, the publisher owns everything for 25 years (Periods of time may change depending in the country)

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_2.htm

This is in UK, but it's similar in almost all the world, even though I believe some things have changed due to USA laws, but normally the new artist transfers his rights to a publisher during a determined period of time, because this lkabel assumes the risk, pays advertising, release the albums and organize concerts.

That's why Rick Wakeman couldn't release Criminal Record and No Eartly Connection until a few years ago. A&M owned the rights and was not interested in releasing them as CD's, but they didn't granted Rick the rights to publish it.

In some cases check Yes coppyrights, for example in Fragile songs appear Copyright Atlantic Records (Or their bussiness partners) but in later versions like Keys Live, you see the copyright in favour of Yessongs Ltd. or Topographic Music, because the publisher's right had already expired.

So maybe the author agrees to put his work in the net but the publisher says no, and it's no.

But surely live recordings are separate to the record company?  Do record companies really have the right to the recordings of every live recording?  Even those ones done in a basement in the guitarist's house, to a small audience?

The author can play in public his songs without asking poermission to anybody else, but if he makes a live album, he must include copyright ownership and pay royalties, UNLESS there's an agreement between the author and the publisher allowiing the band to own the rights of live albums.

After the publisher right has prescribed, any co author can do whatever he wants with his music. That's why in Tokyo Tapes you can find Genesis, Asia and King Crimson tracks, because co authors of this works participated in the show.

And previously Steve Hackett published Genesis Revisited with his own label.

Now the last one:

Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Yes there is, the laws I quoted above are from UK, the organization in UK is called BPI

The BPI is the British record industry's trade association.

We have represented the interests of British record companies since being formally incorporated in 1973 when our principal aim was to fight the growing problem of music piracy.

Our membership comprises of more than 320 companies including all four major record companies, associate members such as manufacturers and distributors plus hundreds of independent music companies representing literally thousands of labels which together account for over 90% of recorded music output in the UK.

The BPI secretariat, with the support of its committees, implements the BPI Council's strategies on behalf of the UK record industry as a whole.

The Council is elected at the AGM by BPI members and comprises representatives from majors and independent record companies alike

http://www.bpi.co.uk/.

Don't ask me who enforces them, maybe Scottland Yard, but I honestly don't know the laws of UK.

Hope it helps, but remember, I'm not a USA, Canada or UK lawyer and of course I'm not acting as one, just telling you what I read and analyze according to international principles, my interpretation may be different in some cases and the Jurisprudence may say something contradictory (Remember, juries are formed by people who know a sh!t of law), but I believe the terms are clear enough.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 15:00

Thanks Ivan, interesting an useful!Clap

You even offer hope there that we might see a CD release of "No earthly connection".Big smile

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 15:12
Ugh...this whole thing disgusts me.  In my mind, artist should be the sole owners of their music. I believe the Internet will kill off a lot of publishers. I personnally want to control my music, not my publisher. That is, if I ever get really into the swing of making music.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 15:22
I made a track with my mate and he was the owner of the equipment used (apart from my harmonica) and it was him that used CuBase to produce it and he played guitar on it as well, so if he ever becomes well known, who will have the rights, if say, I wanted release or, alter is something with it?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 16:07
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

3.-

No Mike, you own the plastic of the CD and the plastic of the case, but the author and/or publisher owns the material recorded and the art on the cover, you are only granted an authorization to make personal use of it.

Silly, but that's the law.

4.-

Not in Germany. In German legislation there are some rights of the user that the publishers cannot take away. One of these laws is commonly referred to as "Privatkopie" (private copy) ... I can copy any CD or DVD for private use, even if the publisher says that I must not do it and threatens me with legal punishment. Currently there is some discussion about whether or not copy protection mechanisms may be circumvented in order to make the copy ... but still. And trust me: I am allowed to sell any DVD which I bought, unless that for some reason it is generally forbidden to offer this DVD in Germany (due to import restrictions or similar). 

Originally posted by Iván Iván wrote:

^theoretically it may be possible that even the artist him/erself is not authorized to sell those recordings, or to give them away for free. I remember that on the Devin Townsend homepage a link to a bootleg was removed a couple of weeks later "on request of the record label". Apparently sometimes the record label has more rights than the artist.

Not theoretically Mike it's  a fact, unless the author is the publisher, in USA, Canada, UK and in most of the world, the first 25 years after the release of an album, the owner was the publisher. After this period and for a lapse between then and 50 to 120 years (Depending on specific laws) the author or his/her family owns the rights.

Surely that also depends on the contract between artist and publisher, but I agree that this is usually the case.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 18:13

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Ugh...this whole thing disgusts me.  In my mind, artist should be the sole owners of their music. I believe the Internet will kill off a lot of publishers. I personnally want to control my music, not my publisher. That is, if I ever get really into the swing of making music.

God and almost everybody here knows I'm not a fan of the Musical Industry, as a fact I consider then inefficient leeches that try to live from our money and the effort of the artists.

Normally this is a problem of their system, the rotation of artists and executives is very high. They want great and fast profit, disposable one hit wonders are the dream of Musical Industry, because this guys appear, release a multi platinuum album, and they disappear as fast as thet appeared.

Normally bands and artists accept bad contracts when they are nobody, but as soon as they have enough bucks, they create their own label and cut the publisher, as Yes (Yessongs Ltd or Topographic Music), ELP (Manticore Records) or  Genesis (Hit & Run Music) for example did.

BUT (There's always a but) without publishers, many bands won't ever be known, Charisma Records took the risk with a bunch of teenagers as Genesis and a weird band called Van der Graff Generator, so they have the right to own the music until they get their investment back, and of course gain money, because those companies are created to earn money.

So it's legal and fair that the one who risked his money owns the rights long enough to earn profit.

Mike en Regalia wrote:

Quote Not in Germany. In German legislation there are some rights of the user that the publishers cannot take away. One of these laws is commonly referred to as "Privatkopie" (private copy) ... I can copy any CD or DVD for private use, even if the publisher says that I must not do it and threatens me with legal punishment. Currently there is some discussion about whether or not copy protection mechanisms may be circumvented in order to make the copy ... but still. And trust me: I am allowed to sell any DVD which I bought, unless that for some reason it is generally forbidden to offer this DVD in Germany (due to import restrictions or similar). 

Talked about that previously, if you own a legal CD you're aparently entitled to make a copy for your own personal use, not sure about the DVD, but you can't sell, give it for free or share it with anybody with or without profit.

This is called FAIR DEAL.

I don't know German laws, and my Deutch is rudimentary, so I can't analyze that unless there's a page with a translation.

Mike en Regalia wrote:

Iván wrote:

MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Surely that also depends on the contract between artist and publisher, but I agree that this is usually the case.

As you say, on this days it's mostly based in priivate contracts, because with technology ispossible for almost anybody to make a good CD or DVD using almost home machines.

I have a DVD sent as a gift by EGGROLL and Jester (Member of this forum) made by them, and the quality is outstanding, they don't sell millions of copies, but all they get is for them.

This didn't happened in the 70's, studio time was really expensive, and the labels made long term contracts, for example ELP formed Manticore Records but still had to release Works Live and Love Beach for Atlantic, so they made twom mediocre albums.

There was another difference, today the labels are managed by  executives that have an office NOW, can be fired tomorrow if a band an executive promoted doesn't sell let's say 20'000,000 copies, so this guys create new artists, squeeze them and forget about them tomorrow, because if the executive won't be in his office in two years he doesn't care for the futureof the label.

In the 70's the labels were managed by the owners  Sir Richard Branson, and Nik Powell, who saw a future in Mike Oldfield and made a long term contract with him. Tony Stratton Smith managed directly The Famous Char9isma Label and he made a 7 years contract with Genesis.

This was because the owners wanted good artists, they knew they will always manage their label, so they formed real artists for a long terrm relation.

Today the business is dirty, executives who don't know how much time they are going to stay in the company make one album contracts with mediocre artists, because with the help of the radios and magazines they will sell at least one album of almost any artist. If the guy is a faillure, they don't care, because they will be fired and the artoist will go hoime with a couple million bucks.

That's why bands as The Rolling Stones continue touring and Peter Gabriel is recieveing the credit he deserved since a long time ago, because labels haven't formed real artists to replace them.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 18:21

I'm 100% sure that you can sell any legitimate (that is: no bootleg or unauthorized copy) DVD that you previously bought. In Germany and most other countries.

Consider this: If selling DVDs was really illegal, don't you think that a) there would be clear warnings instead of words like "distribution" which can, under some circumstances and using legal "trickery", be interpreted to also include the sale of used DVDs by private persons ... and b) Ebay would be aware of this and prevent CD auctions like they prevent other legally questionable items and finally c) that there would be lawsuits or at least public discussions about the possibility of lawsuits?

Sorry, but for any other country than the U.S.A. (consider the Patriot Act, Millenium Copyright Act and Department of Homeland Security) this is pure paranoia. And even in the United States I'm 99% certain that nobody will ever be prosecuted for selling used CDs that they bought in legitimate stores.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 18:53

I'm 100% sure that you can sell any legitimate (that is: no bootleg or unauthorized copy) DVD that you previously bought. In Germany and most other countries.

Consider this: If selling DVDs was really illegal, don't you think that a) there would be clear warnings instead of words like "distribution" which can, under some circumstances and using legal "trickery", be interpreted to also include the sale of used DVDs by private persons ... and b) Ebay would be aware of this and prevent CD auctions like they prevent other legally questionable items and finally c) that there would be lawsuits or at least public discussions about the possibility of lawsuits?

Sorry, but for any other country than the U.S.A. (consider the Patriot Act, Millenium Copyright Act and Department of Homeland Security) this is pure paranoia. And even in the United States I'm 99% certain that nobody will ever be prosecuted for selling used CDs that they bought in legitimate stores.

I agree with you, but there are some facts that could be important.

1. RIAA and their partners make lobbies and use obscure words so that they can include almost anything as illegal.
  2. In one of the screens the word TRADE is clearly written, nothing obscure.

Probably nothing will happen, but INTERNET is the enemy of Music Industry, and we shouldn't take the risk.

Their fantasy scenario is like in the 70's, the radios played one song, no comments anywhere, so people bought anything.

• I heard Canario in the radio and bought Love Beach
  • Thousand of Peruvians listened Guinivere from Myths & Legends (With a wrong name "Lady of the Lake" ) in every station and massively bought the album, after listening it they made a scandal in the door of the record shops.

So if they want to finish with places like ours, it's better not to give them an excuse.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 19:00

^ about that "trade" thing: It is true that it is not permitted to sell North American DVDs in the EU (and vice versa). That also applies to audio CDs ... so indeed (like I also said earlier) I have to be careful in Germany if I choose to sell a CD which I bought through Caiman USA (amazon.de Mmarketplace merchant) ... I have to make sure that the exact same CD is available in Europe, or otherwise it would be possible that I might be sued. However, all that could happen is that I pay a small fine, because I would have no problem to show that I don't sell CDs for a living.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 19:17
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Ugh...this whole thing disgusts me.  In my mind, artist should be the sole owners of their music.

And so anyone unable to afford studio costs will be unable to release a professional sounding album?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 20:59

MIKE: Could find an analysis of German Copyright Act in English and could partially decipher it from German, and the limitations to transference of inytellectual property are very interesting and unique:

Ownership is different than authorship

In some jurisdictions, for instance in Germany, copyright cannot be transferred at all. As a result, the owner of a copyrighted work needs to obtain the copyrightholder's permission for a number of uses of the work. The Rijksmuseum does not have to go through this cumbersome process, since the work of arts in its collection are no longer protected by copyright. They are part of the public domain.

You can buy a copyright from the author, but a aparently you have to ask permission to the author for many acts, probably to avoid cases as Paul Mc'Cartney vs Michael Jackson in which a copyright holder sold Beatles material to a third person (Wacko Jacko) without the permission opf the authors.

Interesting, will have to search more, I love laws as much as music, specially when they challenge my mental structures as in this case, that goes against evrything I took for granted.

I can't understand how a label owner will agree to hire a band with this limitations, unless they  submit themselves to a foreign law that is more permisive.

Holy God, I feel like a child with a new toy.

Iván

freebird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 03:49
Has anyone on this site ever been questioned by police or border patrol about copied CDs in their vehicle? I am just curious because I have copied all my best CDs so that if the ones in my car get scratched or stolen its not the original. And I cross the Canada/US border 2-3 times a week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>