FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpower metal example

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 19:12
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ they don't say anything about the genre of Painkiller, do they?

Yes, it's speed metal.  Every serious metal fan knows this.

Metal-archives is to metal what Prog-archives is to prog, would anyone in here trust Wikipedia to get it right on a prog subject rather than PA?

The definitions of metal genres changes, what was considered death metal 20 years ago might now be considered thrash metal.  Power metal is now really about bands like Gamma Ray, Angra, Dragonforce and maybe even the American type of PM, Iced Earth, Jag Panzer etc.  If you want to be stuck in the 80's considering Judas Priest and Impelliteri Power Metal then good for you, you probably shouldn't be surprised then if most people don't agree.

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 22:00
Originally posted by Serguilloche Serguilloche wrote:

Metal-archives is to metal what Prog-archives is to prog, would anyone in here trust Wikipedia to get it right on a prog subject rather than PA?

The definitions of metal genres changes, what was considered death metal 20 years ago might now be considered thrash metal.  Power metal is now really about bands like Gamma Ray, Angra, Dragonforce and maybe even the American type of PM, Iced Earth, Jag Panzer etc.  If you want to be stuck in the 80's considering Judas Priest and Impelliteri Power Metal then good for you, you probably shouldn't be surprised then if most people don't agree.

I'm not stuck in the 80's: it is just that I consider that the term power metal used to describe bands is irrelevant; they should use a less confusing term.

Conception is a rare band i consider  power metal nowadays, according to the litteral interpretation of the term power metal.

Edited by greenback - June 03 2006 at 22:01
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 05:37

About "Speed Metal": Every serious metal fan knows that the term is not widely used because it's impossible to define. It intersects with Power Metal too much and is far too confining. And whenever it's used, it is in conjunction with another genre, like "Speed/Power Metal" or "Speed/Thrash Metal".

"Metal-archives is to metal what Prog-archives is to prog, would anyone in here trust Wikipedia to get it right on a prog subject rather than PA?" I don't trust any single website on anything. Metal-archives is a great site, but they can't get everything right, and most importantly: The assign genres on the band level, which is bound to cause genre problems.

About the "genre changes over time": They don't really ever change. If a band was labeled "XYZ Metal" in the 80s, it should be labeled so today. If the current "XYZ Metal" bands sound much different than the old ones, it would be better to call the old ones "Classic XYZ Metal" and the new ones "Modern XYZ Metal" than to just redefine the term to only match the new ones.
Serguilloche View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 09:38
^
^^

How I wish I was so absolutely convinced of my total and utter superiority that no matter what anyone else says, I will argue against them even by inventing opinions I never had before.

Mike, you're some sort of mod or something, so I will say this so very nicely, SPEED METAL IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFINE.  I'm sure anyone who understands how the internet works could find a definition for it.

Nobody trusts a website on everything, but dozens of knowledgeable writers are bound to be right more often than a single person.

Yes the genres do change ffs, just because you don't like it, does not make it so.  I can't believe the arrogance implied in your statement.  When I was a kid people referred to Slayer as Black Metal, now Slayer is thrash metal.  Similar to Kreator, Mercyful Fate, Helloween etc.  You can refer to stuff as Classic this and Classic that, but nobody else is doing so.

Edited by Serguilloche - June 04 2006 at 09:39
DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 10:08
Quote power metal = high pitched vocals, fast pace, double bass drums, upbeat tempo, soaring melodies, fantasy/s-f lyrics.

Was I the only person that had RUSH come to mind as a precursor for this?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 10:33

^
^^

How I wish I was so absolutely convinced of my total and utter superiority that no matter what anyone else says, I will argue against them even by inventing opinions I never had before.

Mike, you're some sort of mod or something, so I will say this so very nicely, SPEED METAL IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFINE.  I'm sure anyone who understands how the internet works could find a definition for it.

I'm not a moderator or admin, you don't *have* to be nice to me.Wink

Have a look at this page (I'll say something about your distrust for wikipedia afterwards):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_metal

Let me quote the first paragraph here:

"Speed metal is a cross-genre reference to bands, mainly from the thrash metal and power metal genres. The term is mainly used to differentiate between bands of either genre who use tempos or beats that are faster than is normal for either genre, but also tends to refer to bands that combine aspects of the two genres. Thundersteel by Riot (CBS/Sony 1988) is widely considered to be a seminal speed metal album. Bands such as Judas Priest and Accept, although not typically cited as speed metal bands, are usually considered to be the main developers of the faster tempos common amongst speed metal bands."

What I'm trying to show here that it may be valid for some bands to be in all three genres (thrash, power, speed).

Nobody trusts a website on everything, but dozens of knowledgeable writers are bound to be right more often than a single person.

Yes, that's why I often refer to wikipedia, which is a collaborative effort of dozens of writers - at least for popular terms like Speed Metal. If a wikipedia page is blatantly wrong you can be sure that someone will spot the error and correct it. I even read an interesting article about a study which compared randomly selected wikipedia pages to the entries of a very respected dictionary, and the result was that wikipedia was as acurate as those.

BTW: I'll try to find some pages of www.metal-archives.com that explain the term Speed Metal, I wouldn't be surprised if the result was similar to that wikipedia page.

Yes the genres do change ffs, just because you don't like it, does not make it so.  I can't believe the arrogance implied in your statement.  When I was a kid people referred to Slayer as Black Metal, now Slayer is thrash metal.  Similar to Kreator, Mercyful Fate, Helloween etc.  You can refer to stuff as Classic this and Classic that, but nobody else is doing so.

If you think I'm arrogant, that's your prerogative. However I'm neither afraid to admit mistakes, nor am I going to do everything like the others do.

BTW: I don't know if you know my website ... if not you should check it out, the key principle behind it is that the admins (myself, in this case) don't make any genre assignments. These are done by the users only, and the result is determined by a majority vote.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 10:50
Look, what it comes down to is this: A band's genre is ultimately decided by what the majority of people call them. Philip Glass hates to be called minimalist. You know what? He's minimalist. Everyone knows this. I've heard people rant and rave that modern emo bands are not really emo at all. What they fail to realize is that genres, as is all language, are defined by the way they are commonly used. That being said,greenback is still wrong. :P
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 11:03
^ that's exactly the approach that I use on my website - let people choose the label. Of course with that approach the problems is that people use the terms differently. But in the end there will *never* be a consensus, so why try to force it? Give people a list of genres, along with an explanation of the characteristic attributes of the genres, and let them choose the one that they think matches the album. That's all you can do!
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 12:19
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Look, what it comes down to is this: A band's genre is ultimately decided by what the majority of people call them. Philip Glass hates to be called minimalist. You know what? He's minimalist. Everyone knows this. I've heard people rant and rave that modern emo bands are not really emo at all. What they fail to realize is that genres, as is all language, are defined by the way they are commonly used. That being said,greenback is still wrong. :P

At work, I am well known for my good judgment based on logical and coherent arguments, and people trust me because they know it works: to determine the speed subgenre according to the already confusing power subgenre is nonsense...some of the metal classification has probably been "triggered" by visceral metallers who eventually do not have a high school diploma and have no idea of what can be structure and logic.
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123