Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLets talk about primus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets talk about primus
    Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:47
    have someone hear this band? I am not sure if they are prog but they have an amazing bass player and drummer, I have some of their cds and I thinck that their best may be The Antipop, or the pork soda if you havent hear them, check out this albums(however they have stupid lyrics )
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:57
There have been many discussions on whether they are prog or not.  I don't think so but I do enjoy the four albums I have from them.  Antipop was very good I thought and kind of went away from the Seas of Cheese, Pork Soda and punchbowl albums and that was a good thing.  Although Pork Soda and Cheese were good, it got to be a bit stale on punchbowl I thought.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 13:07
This should be in the "Non - prog music", but those forums are like the lower circles of hell... anyway, Primus is a very funny band. I agree on the Punchbowl comment; they kind of lost control of the album after the 4th track. Sometimes, I got the feeling that all songs in their albums are not ment to go toghether; I get a little tired sometimes; still, excellent at I'll say 70%, wich is good enough. They were on fire on "Sailing the seas of cheese"...
ĦBeware of the Bee!

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 13:14
For one thing,Primus are in the archives under Prog-Related.

And I think their best albums are Sailing the Seas of Cheese and Tales from the Punchbowl.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 13:31
love Primus..

one of the great T.V. experiences was watching them perform Wyonna's Big Brown Beaver on the Letterman show.  Remember my girlfriends reaction clearly.... what the HELL is THAT hahah... she was a classical nut.  I just love that song hahahah.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 14:19
I should have said "I don't think they are prog, but they are listed on PA" as I knew that.

Wynonna's Big Brown Beaver is a good song from Punchbowl.  The story at the time was that it was pronounced like Winona Ryder (short I) but spelled like Wynonna Judd (long I) so you couldn't easily identify which celebrity they might have been talking about.

Edited by johnobvious - June 13 2006 at 14:21
Jeff Schu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 14:29
Yeah, I don't think they are full on prog either... I still love them though. If they were in a Prog Genra I'd say they fall somewhere between Rio/Avant, Phychedelic/Space Rock and Prog Funk with a dash of Metal.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 16:56
prog or not, one thing's for sure: they're a damn good band.

it's hard to appreciate the scope and talent of this band without seeing them live to witmess all the mayhem.  Les uses at least 5 different kinds of bass during any show (including fretless, upright, and the one-string 'whamola'), not to mention they do extended versions of just about every song when played live.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 17:28
Les is a monster.  Sometimes though his bass rules songs so much that the guitar is an afterthought.  When he lets the guitarist do some work, that's when they really cook.

I saw somewhere that Les tried out for Metallica after Burton died but was too funky for them and he was pretty crushed he didn't get in.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 17:46
I first got to know Claypool via Oysterhead (which impressed me when I first heard it), then Bucket of Bernie Brains (fine album indeed) and Frog Brigade (truly wonderful), after which Oysterhead sounded a bit less impressive.

Then I came to Primus. Tales From The Punchbowl was the first one I picked up and I was mightily impressed, but then I bough Pork Soda and somehow it just doesn't work for me. I'll probably tackel Sailing the Seas of Cheese next - my local second hand CD shop always has a few Primus albums in stock for some reason.

I don't think Claypool has made a 5* album yet, but it's the fact that he's prepared to go out on a limb and take risks that makes him so good. I'd sooner listen to a patchy but adventurous album than another tired retread of 70s symphonic prog or another collection of prog metal cliches .
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 20:36
Primus sucks!

My fave is Tales..., followed closely by Sailing...
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 21:33
    They are so odd, funny, and amazing. I am blown away everytime I listen to "Sailing the Seas of Cheese." Certain things just make me stop and say, 'wow!' A friend played me a collection of covers they did. They do a very cool version of XTC's "Making Plans for Nigel."
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 21:38
Primus is one of my favorite bands. Not only are they from my area, their musicianship and creativity is off the charts, in my opinion.
Into_Oblivion View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 21:50
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

There have been many discussions on whether they are prog or not.  I don't think so but I do enjoy the four albums I have from them.  Antipop was very good I thought and kind of went away from the Seas of Cheese, Pork Soda and punchbowl albums and that was a good thing.  Although Pork Soda and Cheese were good, it got to be a bit stale on punchbowl I thought.
You Have no Idea what your talking about.. Antipop is one of their worst. Their best is something Like Frizzle Fry Or Sailing Th Seas Of Cheese. And I listend to Nothing But Primus for about 6 months I have 6 of their cds, and I think they are one of the best bands of all time!!

Les Claypool is the Best Bass Player of all time By far. no one even comes close.

Edited by Into_Oblivion - June 13 2006 at 21:52
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 21:54
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Les is a monster.  Sometimes though his bass rules songs so much that the guitar is an afterthought.  When he lets the guitarist do some work, that's when they really cook.

I saw somewhere that Les tried out for Metallica after Burton died but was too funky for them and he was pretty crushed he didn't get in.

Yeah, he and Kirk Hammett were friends in high school. It was said (by Claypool) that in high school Hammett was a burnout who would always play an imaginary G chord on guitar and he would say, "That'll be the moneymaker someday"... or something to that effect.LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 22:02
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Primus is one of my favorite bands. Not only are they from my area, their musicianship and creativity is off the charts, in my opinion.

plus originality ahhahahClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 22:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

plus originality ahhahahClap

That, too.Wink
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 22:35
Originally posted by Into_Oblivion Into_Oblivion wrote:

Les Claypool is the Best Bass Player of all time By far. no one even comes close.

I will always praise Les, but have you ever heard of a guy named Jaco Pastorius?

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 22:45
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by Into_Oblivion Into_Oblivion wrote:

I will always praise Les, but have you ever heard of a guy named Jaco Pastorius?

or Victor Wooten...

Les is a hell of a player...but let's not get carried away here hahah
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 23:46

I got introduced to Primus when I was playing the first Tony Hawk Pro Skater game. "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver" was one of the songs in the playlist of the game and I loved it! I only have two of their albums on CD. I need to get more! Great band!

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>