Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost Controversial Albums (not sellouts)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2004 at 18:52

I think 'DSOTM' is overrated too (6 of us now?). None of the songs (except 'Money' and 'Great Gig' maybe) ever sticks to my mind. 'The Wall' is even worse. I like most other PF stuff.

As for 'Topographic Oceans', I used to love it, but I got fed up with it, especially after I discovered lots of other, more interesting music.

illustrated View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2004 at 20:21

The Wall and DSOTM were quite contreversial because they appealed to the masses as well... Here, I see countless people with Dark Side T-Shirts, because they are sold at trendy, popular, mainstream clothing outlets. Hell, you wouldn't believe how many of these people haven't even listened to the album!

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 11:50

DSOTM is prog's Sergeant Pepper - for sure, there are better Floyd albums, but it's still a great piece of work and was hugely influential.

For me, the Wall was utterly reprehensible. 'Comfortably Numb' is a superb song, and I quite like 'One Of My Turns', but overall it was the plodding, uninspired, tedious, self indulgent whining of a narcissistic, solipsistic, misanthropic songwriter who had started to believe in his own hype. If EXACTLY the same album had come out as an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it would be about as popular on this board as Evita. Had Roger Waters released his portrait of how awful life was as a rock star, and then retired to become a farmer, or had given away all his money to charitable causes and joined the priesthood, then it would be possible to take it seriously. Instead we got 'The Final Cut' and his solo career.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 11:53
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

DSOTM is prog's Sergeant Pepper - for sure, there are better Floyd albums, but  If EXACTLY the same album had come out as an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it would be about as popular on this board as Evita.

haha love the comparison
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 15:11
Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

DSOTM is prog's Sergeant Pepper - for sure, there are better Floyd albums, but  If EXACTLY the same album had come out as an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it would be about as popular on this board as Evita.

haha love the comparison

Glad you liked it, but the Andrew Lloyd Webber comparison was re. The Wall, not DSOTM.

'Like so many of you

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 15:19

DSOTM is prog's Sergeant Pepper - for sure, there are better Floyd albums, but it's still a great piece of work and was hugely influential.

For me, the Wall was utterly reprehensible. 'Comfortably Numb' is a superb song, and I quite like 'One Of My Turns', but overall it was the plodding, uninspired, tedious, self indulgent whining of a narcissistic, solipsistic, misanthropic songwriter who had started to believe in his own hype. If EXACTLY the same album had come out as an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it would be about as popular on this board as Evita. Had Roger Waters released his portrait of how awful life was as a rock star, and then retired to become a farmer, or had given away all his money to charitable causes and joined the priesthood, then it would be possible to take it seriously. Instead we got 'The Final Cut' and his solo career.

Sorry, but Sgt. Peppers denotes change for the better. It meant a freeing of chains that Record Companies shackled artists with. DSOTM did nothing like this. So why do you make that anology? It makes no sense.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 15:30
I was referring to the way that DSOTM is perceived as the definitive Floyd album (and in many cases prog album), in the same way the Sgt Pepper is seen as the definitive Beatles/psychedelic album. I love both albums, but I prefer Wish You Were Here and Revolver.
'Like so many of you

Batts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 17:56

Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

Probably two of the most controversial prog albums I can think of come
from the same highly controversial band: Yes. Of course, Tales from
Topographic Oceans was controversial, but I think even more
controversial were:

-- Drama
-- Tormato

Also extremely controversial was:

-- Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

Remember back when it came out ... it was Yes, but it wasn't really Yes at
all. And something tells me we haven't seen the last of controversial
moves from Yes.

What do you mean by saying that the Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe album wasn't really Yes at all???? I think the album is as close to the Yes sound you can get considering the release year was 1989. By far the best Yes album in the 80's

marching on together!!
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 18:20
Totally agree Batts it was a very good album, great pity We didn't get a second and you are a absoloutely right again ABWH was the best Yes album of the 80's but then that wouldn't have been hard would it Batts!!!!
Lunarscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 18:40

Mike Oldfields - AMAROK

Isotope's - ISOTOPE

Vangelis - SOIL FESTIVITIES

Now thats controversial music...

Lunar after the hangover ! ! !

Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .
BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 18:46

DSOTM is overrated, there are way better PF albums ..... (WYWH, AHM, Animals, PATGOD), but the most overrated PF album is The Wall, for sure. It may have a nice concept, but it's musically not even close to the others .. (possible exception comfortably numb).

Sorry, but what exactly means "controversial" (english 2nd language...) ? Like against the stream?

Batts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 20:14

Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Totally agree Batts it was a very good album, great pity We didn't get a second and you are a absoloutely right again ABWH was the best Yes album of the 80's but then that wouldn't have been hard would it Batts!!!!

That really true Fragile!! But I must admit that I did like some of the song on Big Generator and 90125 even though I can't file those albums under the label "prog". BTW Happy New Year to you and your daughter

marching on together!!
Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 21:13
I think Tull's "Passion Play" and Yes "Tales from the Topographic Oceans": they really divide their fans!

Oh, and add me to the list of people who find DSOTM to be overrated. I mean, it's great and I do like it, but it's hardly the masterpiece that it's regularly touted to be. It's no CTTE people!
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 05:44

This antipathy towards DSOTM is bizaare.

Look at the facts:

1.It is loved by the majority of Prog Rock fans (and we like to think of ourselves as discerning)

2. It sold in bucketloads to the plebs (who we like to think of as morons)

3.People still go out and buy it in the 1000's 30 years later.

I know just because something is popular and sells in vast amounts, that doesnt make it good.But this album proves that you can be popular and maintain your integrity.

And suggests what a bloody good album it is as it succeeds intellectually and commercially!

Edited by Reed Lover

jiggajake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 11:12
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

666 by Aprodites Child without any doubt: The band started to work this album around the end 1969 or the beggining of 1970 and was ready to be released in 1970, but no record label accepted the risk to release it because:

a) The Title: They dared to place the number of the beast as a title, all labels were afraidthat religious groups would boycott the without even listening the album and finding it was a bout the Holy Bible.

b) The Concept: The Book of Revelations is the most controversial in the Bible, talks about the end of the world and contains a lot of symbolism that Aphrodite's Child interpreted in their own style.

c) Sahlep: The band published and included in the cover that 666 was conceived under the influence of Sahlep. Many groups thought this was the name of a demon when in fact is a Turkish beverage.

d) Infinity (Symbol): This track sung by the wonderfull actress Irene Papas is a 5 minutes orgasm with explicit shouts and moanings.

As a result 666 was banned until 1972 Vertigo took the risk, but by that point the band had split almost one year before.

Iván

Thank you for explaining how they were controversial, thats very interesting, and provocative, i'm going to download the album now (sorry to all i offend by downloading music)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123