FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 80’s King Crimson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 80’s King Crimson
    Posted: December 21 2004 at 09:50

The three albums created by the Fripp/Bruford/Levin/Belew line up of King Crimson are a curios trinity.

I'm not sure there have been any progressive music like it before or since. Granted the introduction of new technology enabled this line up to make some pretty freaky music for it's time. It must be said that the sound of the 80's are stamped all over their sound but deep within each release is a creative centre that Fripp never really visited again and for good reason. Fripp has often remarked that he errects 'pointed sticks' in his mind to stop him settling into a comfort zone that could lead to a creative desert. I believe that it is that very factor that makes these albums what they are.

Truly, there appears to little out there to compare these albums to and as it could be said that 'In The Court...' defines the genre in terms of sound you are left to wonder how much of an influence did these albums had on prog.

Edited by sigod
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 10:29

I've only got 'Discipline'. I've never been big fan, although I like Adrian Belews voice a lot on this album. 'Frame by Frame' and 'Matte Kudasai' are excellent songs. The production is strange though. I read somewhere - perhaps on the sleeve notes - that Fripp had started to hate the sound of cymbals. He ordered Bill Bruford not to use them as much as usual, and wanted them well down in the mix. The result in my opinion was not favourable, and led to a fairly lifeless and unexciting sound throughout. The challenge to not use cymbals at all was applied on Peter Gabriel 3, too, but that worked!

King Crimson is said to be a 'way of doing things' in Fripps words. I have always rated him as a guitarist, and admired his attitude to music, but more often than not I find the finished KC product painful on the ears. There are selected tracks I like, but whole albums? No.

I would certainly agree that ITCOTCK does define the genre in many ways. I maybe wrong but I wouldn't have thought 'Discipline' has had much influence. I have not heard anything like KC, to be honest, from any period of their career.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 11:09
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The challenge to not use cymbals at all was applied on Peter Gabriel 3, too, but that worked!

I agree that PG3 is a much more successful album in terms of songwriting but I have to say that the sound of these albums is still light years ahead.  

does define the genre in many ways. I maybe wrong but I wouldn't have thought 'Discipline' has had much influence. I have not heard anything like KC, to be honest, from any period of their career.

In terms of it's influence on pouplar prog then maybe no but that said, how many people picked up and began to play the Chapman Stick as a result of these albums?

It is an annoying trait of Fripp to develop a sound to the point where the masses might take interest and then throw it away. He always seems to choose the most difficult route to any given point but I guess that's his perrogative and I have had many a happy hour with the KC output as a result.

He's still a difficult bast*rd to get to like though.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 11:27
I have discipline... and although its the only 80s KC that I have (actually one of the only two KC albums I own, the other one being ITCOTCK) I really like it. I think Fripp keeps Prog fresh in the 80s via KC, as it was that most of the other big name prog groups at the time had either sold out to 80s electra-pop or had disappeared entirely. Its funky, its electric, and its a great record IMO.
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 12:12
I only have Discipline also, and I'm not all that fond of it.
THIS IS ELP
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 13:03
to produce prog albums mostly without keyboards in the 80's was extremely audacious and hazardous. thanks God Belew was there to enhance the overall product! Discipline is one of their best albums; hopefully, the guitars have not the irritating grunge sound at all! and to me it is THE Red album!
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 13:58

I'm actually a fan of a lot of 80s King Crimson - I just missed them 1st time around, and in the early 80s they seemed to be the only 1st generation prog act not producing insipid AOR. By '3 Of a Perfect Pair' the new formula was getting a bit tired, but side 2 of the vinyl version is up there with anything else they've done.

If you can, try to hear 'Absent Lovers', a live double set taken from this line up's final gigs. There's less of the 80s production gloss, and the live interplay between Fripp, Belew, Levin and Bruford is breathtaking.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 14:33

The compilation album "The compact King Crimson" (CD version) was a curious mix of tracks from these three albums, plus all but "Moonchild" from "ITCOTCK".

Very strange.Confused

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 14:39
I once owned Three of a Perfect Pair and I can recall I didn't hate it. Aside from that, I cannot remember what it sounds like.
Wizard/TRueStar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 15:08

These three are wonderful.  Discipline was my first taste of 80's KC and it got mr hooked on KC after that (at that point I only had ITCOTCK).  Three of a Perfect Pair is just as good and should be noted for it's out of this world title cut and LARKS' TOUNGES part 3  But lying between those two is one of the most underrated KC album.  BEAT.  I listened to Beat for the first time the other night and was in awe.  Words fail to descride what I was experiencing but it was enough to convince me that there is a KC album better than Larks' or Red.

Don't overlook Beat.  It deserves much better.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 16:11

Of all the KC I've heard, which is not everything by means, my favourite album will always be RED.

It is a truly visionary album, laying down the blueprints for the grunge scene that emerged many years later, albeit played alot better!!! Kurt Cobain thought it was the best album ever and you can hear the influence on tracks like 'Fallen Angel' and 'Red'

Sorry sigod, I'm digressing badly from your 80's KC theme..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 16:21

I like Discipline a lot - it's got a great sound, and the execution is devastatingly precise - to me it doesn't sound like a 1980's album at all; The first time I heard Spock's Beard (a track called "Gibberish" - not sure which album it's on), I thought "Hello, they've nicked that sound from Discipline".

It has a peculiar, angular drive to it that keeps me listening - although it's not really a regular visitor to my turntable. One of those "Fine wine" albums that you revisit every once in a while just to enjoy the taste.

"The more I look at it - the more I like it!"

Sadly I haven't managed to track down the other two in any local vinyl shops.

Edited by Certif1ed
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 16:52

I consider those three albums to be the single finest works of progressive rock in the 80s.

I still like the "Red" era better, but I would gladly trade every 80s neo-prog album (in addition to the contemporaneous works by the classic prog bands) for "Discipline" alone, and "Three of a Perfect Pair" and "Beat" are perfect examples of 80s technology and progressive ideals merging in a completely unexpected and unmatched way. I think several of the songs could have even been significant radio hits if they'd had some promotion behind them.

Plus, I heard "Neil and Jack and Me" about the same time I was beginning a lifelong love affair with the Beat writers.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 17:23
My favorite King Crimson. Adrian Belew is so amazing. I would be satisfied if this was all the King Crimson I owned.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 18:35

Those three albums were my second favorite "avatar" of King Crimson.  I thought all three were excellent, from beginning to end.  They have to be taken on their own merits though, and not compared to other things.  And even if one doesn't like all the compositions on all three, when listened to as a trilogy (open-mindedly) they not only make a great deal of "sense" together, but display an inter-cohesive brilliance that only Crimson (via Fripp) could achieve.

project23 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 22:30
Check out the Neal And Jack And Me DVD for this version of the band in a live setting (two live settings actually) getting down.
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 23:28
I love 80's crimson.

I'm getting the Neal and Jack and Me dvd sometime after christmas!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 23:47

3 great, classic, 4-5 star albums, IMO.Big smile

I like 'em all.Thumbs Up Sue me.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 03:28
Discipline was actually my first exposure to KC (as a fey 17 year old....) - played to me because I'd admired Belew's work with Bowie & Talking Heads.

Given the time these albums came out, their sound and production was stunning and, I believe, groundbreaking - at a time when many of the 'dinosaurs' were in creative decline, Fripp picked KC up by its bootstraps, and progressed.

I will always have great affection for these three albums, and I feel they are three of the best (certainly most consistent) albums of Fripp's career......to date

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 04:58
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Of all the KC I've heard, which is not everything by means, my favourite album will always be RED.

It is a truly visionary album, laying down the blueprints for the grunge scene that emerged many years later, albeit played alot better!!! Kurt Cobain thought it was the best album ever and you can hear the influence on tracks like 'Fallen Angel' and 'Red'

Sorry sigod, I'm digressing badly from your 80's KC theme..

Digression is half the fun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>