Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbrutal/death anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: brutal/death anyone?
    Posted: July 31 2006 at 16:46
Starting from age 15, I was a rabid metal head, listening to metallica, pantera, sepultura, cannibal corpse and many more; then, around 17, I somehow "evolved" (thanks to "Images & Words") and I started to listen to more, let's say, polite music... That would be Progressive music.

Later, I got in touch with Allman Brothers and Grateful  Dead, and for some years I didn't listen to anything else.

Then, last year, I've seen the light (again) on the road to damascus, and reverted to prog music, this time I think for good; but lately, and strangely, it seems that I have feelings of relief if I listen to Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy and Monstrosity on my Ipod, while sunbathing by the swimming pool...

I don't deny in any way my born-again prog affection, but I think I had a more profound de-volution and got back to like, if not to love, what was my musical first love; what in the last few years gave me only headaches, now puts a smile on my face, and make me want to headbang!

Does any of you had a similar experience? For those who eventually did, is there some brutal/death band that you think I should listen to? I'd personally suggest Cryptospy, almost all of their releases, and two personal favourites, "Live Cannibalism" and especially the latest "KILL" by Cannibal Corpse, that is, indeed, a killer.

tengo 'na minchia tanta
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 20:26
Cryptopsy is great!
I recently saw Cannibal Corpse live, and while I'm not a fan of their studio work it was definitely a fun show.

As a Cryptopsy fan I should suggest to you the following:
Cynic
Continuo Renacer

Clap
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 08:26
Well I had the same start with Tortellino

still listening to some extreme metal, but never really got into Cannibal Corpse, Monstrosity etc.
I like Death, Hypocrisy a lot, but they are not considered brutal I believe
Fede View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 17:34
I'm now starting to listen to some black/death metal. I like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu, Old Man's Child and other stuff. Talking about Cryptopsy, I heard a song two days ago and their music is a total CHAOOOOOOS!!!!!!!!!! though it was really good.

Does anyone know or heard a band called BELPHEGOR??????????
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 17:27
Though I realise they don't play your kind of death, I'd like to recommend In Flames. They ought to fit your taste if you like prog. They're Melodic Death, similair to Opeth. Try the albums Reroute to Remain and Colony. Thumbs Up
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 07:11
^ even better, try the albums Whoracle and their debut Wink
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 08:53
I have always like powerful music, and I listened to classical music and death metal as a teenager. A scene of progressive rock is a playground where artists combined such elements, and as I got more into 60's music the road was clear.
tortellino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 13:55
I once had on CD "The Jester's Race" by IN FLAMES, but later on when I lost interest in the genre I sold it together with all other similar CDs; now the (blood)thirst for that kind of things is alive again, and I have some download of their albums, but I sure will check them get the later releases on CD if they grab enough of my interest.

For anyone interested strictly in the brutal/grind field, please check out NASUM and all of their releases! They are no longer together, as sadly the guitarist died in the 2004 Thailand Tsunami, but their music is simply... Well, you must to hear it to believe it!
Suggested title is "Grind Finale", their last release is kind of a "Best Of" with something like 152 (!!!) songs on two CDs, with old, new and unreleased music...!!! And no, you won't find any epic on it. Wink
tengo 'na minchia tanta
Fede View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 16:31
Does any of you know BELPHEGOR???? Evil Smile

Reverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 21:46
Fede, i have heard a few Belphegor songs. Not bad, but not great.

I myself sort of went off metal for a little bit when i started getting into prog and jazz, but still enjoy it as much as i used to really.

Bands i would recommend? Off thet op of my head...
Nile
Emperor (black)
Orchidectomy (grind)
Demilich
Psycroptic
Hate Forest (black / death vox)
Kleynan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 13:22

I recently came in touch with my first love again. That being Megadeth. I haven't lost any love for the band, all the years I've been listening to something else.

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 16:10
Cryptopsy were actually discussed by the PMT. Just thought you were all drooling to hear that.

Wink

-- Ivan
sig
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 16:36
I don't know, there's just something a little juvinile to be listening to grown men yell and growl about death and satan accompanied by thick chunky guitar riffs. It's such an escape, and it belies serious issues of frustration.

I mean how long can guys dye their hair black and be all "death metal"ly and really believe it, believe that they are creating worthwhile experiences for their listeners?

After a while, it's just embarrasing. I'm sorry. I mean I went through a serious freak rock phase in the seventies (Alice Cooper, et al.), but to see those same bands still doing it without a sense of humor about it, I don't know, it's sort of pathetic.
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 07:07
oddly, i never listened much to metal as a kid, unless you count kiss as heavy metal. i was into jefferson starship (not the crappy 80's version though-i preferred the 70's and 60's jefferson airplane). i was a hopeless duranie after that and eventually turned to prog. then i went off in this black/death metal direction that just cropped up...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 08:10
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

I don't know, there's just something a little juvinile to be listening to grown men yell and growl about death and satan accompanied by thick chunky guitar riffs. It's such an escape, and it belies serious issues of frustration.

I mean how long can guys dye their hair black and be all "death metal"ly and really believe it, believe that they are creating worthwhile experiences for their listeners?

After a while, it's just embarrasing. I'm sorry. I mean I went through a serious freak rock phase in the seventies (Alice Cooper, et al.), but to see those same bands still doing it without a sense of humor about it, I don't know, it's sort of pathetic.

Death Metal has nothing to do with Alice Cooper, unless you mean on stage presence or anything.

And what you said is a way superficial look on the scene from an outsider. The Death/Black Metal fan will tell me that Prog is about extended wanky mellotron solos and wailing vocals, and I will pay no attention to neither of you.

The genre is much more than a rebel and offers a substantial amount of high quality bands, among which innovative and original ones can be found even today. Moreover, I won't even go in detail about how technical many Death Metal bands are, and how complex this music gets. If you can't stand the death growl, you are only restricting yourself, as there will always be people open-minded enough to appreciate it.

-- Ivan
sig
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 08:22
Clap Well said Ivan!

I was going to say something myself, but you about summed it up.
There is something visceral about metal, but there is also delicate complexity.
It's the same with most good music; there are several levels to appreciate.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 10:31
Originally posted by ivansfr0st ivansfr0st wrote:

Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Death Metal has nothing to do with Alice Cooper, unless you mean on stage presence or anything.

And what you said is a way superficial look on the scene from an outsider. The Death/Black Metal fan will tell me that Prog is about extended wanky mellotron solos and wailing vocals, and I will pay no attention to neither of you.

The genre is much more than a rebel and offers a substantial amount of high quality bands, among which innovative and original ones can be found even today. Moreover, I won't even go in detail about how technical many Death Metal bands are, and how complex this music gets. If you can't stand the death growl, you are only restricting yourself, as there will always be people open-minded enough to appreciate it.

-- Ivan

Well, let me say this about that; I love the electric guitar and the sound it makes in all its incarnations, including chunky, distorted, slabs at a fast tempo.

And I'm sure there are many metal guitarists I don't know about who are past masters at providing this shrapnal-like experience. So I don't need to be educated on that matter.

But, as far as standing the "death growl" my question is, what are you getting out of it besides a sort of vicarious experience as a demon or something? And I don't mean this in a put-down sort of way, I just mean, ultimately what is it about the experience that turns you on? Is it simply the theatre of it? Like a good horror movie? Does it make the listener feel like they are at some sort of pagan, druidic ritural? Does it make you feel like you're in touch with some "reality"? Like you're communing with the dark, sharp-toothed mouth that's really at the center of existence, not God or Jesus or any of that other 'uplifting' B.S. that's shovelled down our throats from day one?

Just curious.
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 10:42
Metal?

Two words:

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 10:44
It's not always done in a demonic way or for anti-religious purposes, although that was originally(in the 80's)the initial idea. The death growl can express various emotions besides anger and threat(?), such as sadness, despair, triumph, and many more, listen to Subterranean Masquerade for some unorthodox, progressive usages of the death growl outside of the death metal realms.

Moreover, what kind of vocals do you think would be a good replacement for the death growl in death metal? Personally I can't imagine, say, Ian Anderson type vocals done in a death metal band.

It's a genre of music that has existed for a while, and the vocals are one of its crucial parts, not the centre of music, but one of the instruments. If you can't deal with it, sure, don't, but don't harass those who do with your harsh complaints and misunderstandings. I highly suggest getting rid of the satanism/tough guy stereotype issue you have and consider it just another type of music, even if you can not personally relate to it and/or have have no interest listening to it.

-- Ivan
sig
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 10:45
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Metal?

Two words:

Awesome band! Clap

Personally I like to call them Daethspell Amigo. Wink

-- Ivan