Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWell, I guess we can write off Porcupine Tree.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:53
Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.

Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.

S

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:36
That's good news.  Guess I'm still in!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:36
Originally posted by xtopher xtopher wrote:

Hey, cool. I'm looking forward to it. When is it due to come out?

(Who would've thunk Steven Wilson would lower himself to the forums on ProgArchives?!LOL ...If you're really Steve, welcome!)

don't laughWink... I talked with Carl Palmer (seriously) on another site...

Edited by micky - August 08 2006 at 21:36
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
xtopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:32
Hey, cool. I'm looking forward to it. When is it due to come out?

(Who would've thunk Steven Wilson would lower himself to the forums on ProgArchives?!LOL ...If you're really Steve, welcome!)
alias10mr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:31
    The quality of a band's output or creation is generally not governed by record companies. Remember all, the artist creates and in this case, a group or solo act will compose and create their work which is then given to the record company. Sometimes the company then chooses what goes on the CD and occasionally the artist(s) also have their say...
     PT will hopefully continue to create and if the listener enjoys the direction the band will take then all the better! But for those who won't like the material, there 'll always be new fans who will. I will purchase the new CD when it comes out regardless of what label the band has signed with since I have comfidence that PT will continue to create quality material.     
                                                         All the best,
                                                                            Michel R.
Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:28
^17 minutes?  I'm buying it. Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:05
Guys, I appreciate the concern, but I would say this:

1.  I can't really think of one mainstream label that does not have at least a 95% suckage rating with their roster.  We've been on Atlantic / Warners for the last 5 years (still are for the US) and quite honestly there's not much on that label that I would listen to. Historically of course they've had amazing artists, Zeppelin, Yes, CSN, Coltrane, but right now....well Rush, and Bjork is about it.  Roadrunner have Opeth, one of the best bands on the planet right now, that should be enough.  But some of the other bands have also done some interesting stuff (Dresden Dolls, Fear Factory..etc)

2.  We are waaaaaaaaay too cynical, opinionated and old (!) to ever let a label have any influence on anything we do musically.  Not only that - we are all music lovers - seems like an obvious thing to say, but you'd be surprised how many pro musicians don't actually like or listen to music anymore.  It's when making music becomes just a loveless job that record companies can start to have an influence over the artist.

Important thing is that Roadrunner have got the resources, and seem to love the band, so we keep on doing our thing and they'll give it their best shot I guess.  The next album has been written for some time, and it's probably a harder sell for them than the last few would have been (longest track 17 minutes, average track time 7 minutes).

Anyway, hope you will give us your support on this.

SW (alleged arrogant asshole)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 19:49
Originally posted by AtLossForWords AtLossForWords wrote:

Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Could it be that Opeth cannot work with Steven Wilson (as they've done in the past), unless they're on the same label?  Just a thought.

Opeth was on Koch (Music for Nations) and Porcupine Tree was on Lava when Wilson was working with Opeth.  I don't believe those are the same label.

that sounds like a safe assumption....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 19:44
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Could it be that Opeth cannot work with Steven Wilson (as they've done in the past), unless they're on the same label?  Just a thought.

Opeth was on Koch (Music for Nations) and Porcupine Tree was on Lava when Wilson was working with Opeth.  I don't believe those are the same label.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 19:09
I see it as a good move for PT. If moving to RR does make them more "commercial" then it could only benefit PT's exposure to a wider audience. In my country, PT is not well known in any shape or form. I think that it is a pity, as PT certainly deserve to be more recognised for their brilliant work. I agree with previous comments that the move won't change PT's music direction - Steven Wilson appears to be a strong influence and I don't think he would go to RR unless he thought that there was going to be a good total package for the band.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:32
I'm pretty confident Porcupine Tree will stick to there guns as they always have.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:30
Well I do hope they continue to release good albums.  I quite enjoyed Deadwing.

As MO said, Opeth's album was recorded before joining RR and I happen to really enjoy it, but then RR didn't really make much difference to that album.

Oh and Fish (of Marillion fame), sold his label Dick Bros Company to RR, so they can't be all that bad, surely?  True they have such artists as Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium on their books, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will ruin Opeth and Porcupine Tree.
Kleynan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:26
Since PT was pretty mainstream-like prior to signing with RR, maybe I should tremble in fear Confused

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:19
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

It's an interesting thread title and theory MO.

Are there examples of other prog bands who have been made by their label to do things they would have preferred not to do?

Absolutely. The first example that leapt to my mind was Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity.

And Marillion's Holidays in Eden (though I like it very much).

PErsonally I'm not too worried, I don't ever see Steve Wilson bowing to record company pressure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:18
Yes, I realize I'm nitpicking.

Certain changes -have- been made to Opeth.  They were going to do a full tour with the Devin Townsend Band, but on several dates, Roadrunner made them take DevilDriver along instead. Cry
Kleynan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:08
Opeth have recieved some success since their last album. So will PT hopefully.

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

slowfire85 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:55
You need those sh*t bands on a label, they bring the money home(Slipknot is a money-making juggernaut no matter how badly you may dislike them). Having those money making bands allows a label to take financial risks and sign bands like Opeth and PT that don't have a commercial sound and background. They are obviously making efforts to bring in some talented bands and become competitive with other labels who are starting to take chances on extreme/non-commercial metal/rock bands. I thought Jerry Cantrell's last album was a good output for them.
What is prog rock ?

It is music that does progress. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential.

K.Emerson
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:55
Ghost Reveries was complete before Opeth signed over  Ouch
Kleynan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:45
RR didn't really affect Opeth on Ghost Reveries... So I doubt it will be any different with PT. Maybe it's going to be a little heavier though.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:31
Originally posted by composer composer wrote:

It's interesting that no one has yet mentioned that Roadrunner is the label set up and run by Derek Schulman of Gentle Giant. That should carry some weight with fans if only they knew.

Is the respectable Derek Schulman responsible for signing Nickelback, Slipknot, DevilDriver, Murderdolls, Soulfly, Stone Sour, Trivium, and dozens of other bands that make me sad? Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>