Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJoe Satriani... not here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joe Satriani... not here?
    Posted: August 22 2006 at 21:36
 This man is a genius, a whiz with guitar, and composer of some freakin awesome prog guitar solos. Yet when I input his name, attempting to review one of his albums, his protege Steve Vai comes up. Surely he deserves a seperate entrance in our pantheon of prog rock gods?
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 21:39
He would if he played prog music, but he doesn't. He plays shred. Vai is only in prog related, and deserves for multiple reasons to be on this site more that Satch.
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 21:39
He's awesome, I've seen him live (w/ the Wizard), but no, he's not prog. Not all good music is prog.
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 21:40
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

He would if he played prog music, but he doesn't. He plays shred. Vai is only in prog related, and deserves for multiple reasons to be on this site more that Satch.

What're you talking about? Satch doesn't shred very much. He is very melodic and tasteful.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 21:43
Originally posted by Arrrghus Arrrghus wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

What're you talking about? Satch doesn't shred very much. He is very melodic and tasteful.

I consider the G3 crowd to be under the "Shred" banner. Satch does shred, but not like Yngwie.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 22:26
Mmm... he could be a God of guitar, a genius whatever you name him... and i particularly dont like his music, but anyway... i dont consider Joe Satriani as a clear addition to progarchives, not prog music for me here...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 01:51
It's bad enough Vai is in, and he clearly is more of a suitable candidate than Satch.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 21:40
An apparent misunderstanding: the "omissions" in this forum's title is not meant to refer to artists not currently listed in ProgArchives, but rather to missing information under existing entries. If members want to suggest an artist for inclusion, that should be done in the "Suggest new bands /artists" forum. Thanks.

Can an Admin please move this thread to the appropriate forum?

WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 14:05
Some of his albums are quite prog-related come to think of it, his "Engines of Creation" and "Joe Satriani" (the one with the red cover)

Just found out he is going to play right here (in my city) on the 26th of October, a G3 jam with Eric Johnson and John Petrucci!!
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 15:51
Great guitarist, but not Prog. Vai is proggier, but I still don't see how he fits here.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 17:54
Originally posted by Articuno1 Articuno1 wrote:

This man is a genius, a whiz with guitar, and composer of some freakin awesome prog guitar solos. Yet when I input his name, attempting to review one of his albums, his protege Steve Vai comes up. Surely he deserves a seperate entrance in our pantheon of prog rock gods?

Steve Vai is not his "protege". If anything Vai is a scholar of Zappa. And prog ... well, neither of them are that, but Vai is much more progressive than Satriani:

• Kill The Guy With The Ball
  • The Fire Garden Suite
  • Lucky Charms
Name any Satriani track that is as progressive as these songs.Big smile
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 17:57
I'm a big Satch fan and have seen him in concert with Erik Johnson. Not prog, but pretty awesome!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 23:50
An amazing guitarist, but I don't really see any way how he fits under prog. He's a shredder (just in a different way).
progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 15:18

it's LITTLE bit progressive. It must be, how else could he be genious. Well, I don't think he as a genious, but I like his music even very much sometimes. Sometimes it's so not-prog or some else way so stupid that I almost vomit.

To be in PA, there ought to be new catergory and new relative style description system. Well, new systems

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 15:19
Outside of Steve Vai's 'Passion and Warfare' and Satriani himself's 'Surfing With The Alien' (I do however own a few Yngwie Malmsteen albums- one of the few of his type I can stomach), the so called 'shred' genre just does little for me. I can see the merits of Vai being here given his links to Zappa and the obvious influence Zappa had on Vai's own material, but no to Satriani. The music isn't all that complex in structure and is, really, fairly standard rock with catchy melodies played on guitar instead of vocals. So a no from me, but I wondered how long it would be before someone would propose Satriani...
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 15:25
I LOVE Joe- but I don't think he should be here- either should Vai.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 15:27
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Outside of Steve Vai's 'Passion and Warfare' and Satriani himself's 'Surfing With The Alien' (I do however own a few Yngwie Malmsteen albums- one of the few of his type I can stomach), the so called 'shred' genre just does little for me. I can see the merits of Vai being here given his links to Zappa and the obvious influence Zappa had on Vai's own material, but no to Satriani. The music isn't all that complex in structure and is, really, fairly standard rock with catchy melodies played on guitar instead of vocals. So a no from me, but I wondered how long it would be before someone would propose Satriani...

James, have you seen the thread I opened a few days ago about "Great music equals Prog"? Not to promote myself (though I'll always do that gladly, I have to admit...Wink), but I was feeling sort of fed up with people suggesting their favourite artists for inclusion on the basis that, if the music is good, then it must necessarily be prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 15:30
If you want to know (probably not), I asked why Satch wasn't here over 6 months ago (look for the thread), but I have obviously found my way since then. Wink
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 20:55
His album "Engines of Creation" is Prog.
xtopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 18:03
Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

His album "Engines of Creation" is Prog.

Agreed. And if you're as familiar as I am with his discography, you know just how unconventional his approach is to the craft of songwriting. He just... never ceases to suprise me with his innovation. Yet he really doesn't strike the chords necessary to be considered "prog"—arbitrary though they may be.

He doesn't typically have songs longer than 6 minutes. He mostly sticks to basic song structure (but many prog songs really do too). BUT his style is so dynamic and enigmatic; his style runs the gamut from hard rock and metal (as in "The Extremist" or "New Last Jam") to astro-rock (as in "With Jupiter in Mind" and "Time") to beutiful ambient ballads (as in "Rubina" and "Is There Love in Space?") to pseudo-techno (as in "Devil's Slide" and "The Power Cosmic 2000"), and will even throw in dancing jazz guitar (as in "Satch Boogie" and the ingenious and energetic close to "Crystal Planet") and unconventional, often clashing scales and modes ("Not of this Earth", "The Enigmatic" and "The Eight Steps").

It's just sad that some "proggy" attributes get overlooked in favor of all his "shredding." Satch can shred, and does so with aplomb, but more often he uses his guitar to articulate what none can do with their voice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>