FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedartists’ pictures on album covers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: artists’ pictures on album covers
    Posted: December 30 2004 at 22:43
I just noticed browsing through some albums on the net... prog albums rarely have the groups members on the front as a cover, with a few exceptions. After the Yes album, Yes never did. Rush never did. Other than Trilogy, they never did, and that was even a painting of them, not an actual photo. Gentle Giant, never. VDGG, never. Other than Red, KC didn't either. Why?
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 22:43
and correct me on that if i'm wrong. 
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 22:48

Genesis as trio once said in an interview that they considered themselves as "very ordinary people" to appear in their front covers. They didn`t like their image enough to appear in their front covers as a band.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 22:48

Actualy ELP not only made Trilogy:

BUT...............No comments.

Iván

BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 22:50

I think because they wanted to keep the focus on the music and not on that whole "package" as it is common today. So a picture that supports the music on the album or the main message makes more sence.

Times changed, today almost every CD has the artist on the cover because the labels want them to be there ..... there's this whole thing with the media, people buy records because they think the artist's cool (i'm having problems with saying "artist" to most of the creatures appearing in the media these days ) and not because the music's interesting or complex.....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 23:01

Forgot also, Genesis has one, maybe two:

From Genesis to the Revelation had many covers, two of them with photos of the band

May be considered also a photo of the band.

Iván

Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 23:26

Iván:

The original cover for "From Genesis to Revelation" has not photos of the band. The covers you show here are not from  the original L.P.  release from 1969. They are from CD re-releases. "And the word was" was released by Decca in 1987 (maybe for the last time in that label). Genesis has not the rights of this album, so they don`t have control over the cover designs of these CD re-releases, too. The rights belong to the now infamous "Mr. Jonjo Music" (too infamous for me to write his correct name).

The covers for "GenesisLive", "Seconds Out" and "The Way We Walk" (vols. 1 & 2) could be "exceptions" being live albums.

Also, I don`t know if the 3 persons in the photo of the cover for the "and then there were three" album are the members of Genesis. Some people say: "No, they aren`t".

In YES` "Tormato" album BACK COVER, there is a photo of the band.

Edited by Guillermo
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 23:58

You are right Guillermo (Jode escribir en ínglés a un hispano parlante , pero las reglas son así) theoriginal cover of FGTTR wasw only black with the title, but due to the problem created by the name of the album (It was sold with all the religious stuff and nobody bought it) they did a couple of different covers.

But today the vynils and CD's that you can buy at Hit & Run (Genesis related company) are very different, you can find even vynils with the photo.

If you go and see the Genesis catalogue there, it says "Many covers availlable".

All because Jonathan King made a mistake due to lack of experience (Well, his first mistake, the other one caused him worst problems).

Iván

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 00:00

prog rock is not a question of look; the important is the music, not the appearance of the band. Kate Bush's album covers show her, but she is a beautiful women, that's different. I think mike oldfield likes pretty much his look to appear on several of his album covers (amarok, earth moving, ommadawn, etc.) the same case applies to frank zappa.

I found some rare prog albums having all the members on the front cover: jethro tull - a; greenslade - gold rock; gryphon - midnight mushrumps; pink floyd - piper + ummagumma; refugee; renaissance - ashes are burning (the band is dispatched on both sides) + time-line ; focus -in and out + moving waves + live at the rainbow; ; marillion -clutching at straws; IQ - living proof; rick wakeman - 6 wives + criminal record + rhapsodies; caravan - first + if i could do...; starcastle - real to reel...

the bands more often appear on the back of the album covers, like camel - raindances and the first album; rush-grace under pressure + permanent waves; visible wind - emergence; everon - flood; ozric tentacles - jurassic shift...

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 00:01
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

(Jode escribir en ínglés a un hispano parlante , pero las reglas son así) Iván

ˇAsí son las reglas! ("Those are the rules!, to write in English for everybody to understand!, even if one answers to a person who speaks your language, spanish in this case!", translation for everybody).

Saludos.(Greetings).

Edited by Guillermo
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 00:08
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

prog rock is not a question of look; the important is the music, not the appearance of the band. Kate Bush's album covers show her, but she is a beautiful women, that's different. I think mike oldfield likes pretty much his look to appear on several of his album covers (amarok, earth moving, ommadawn, etc.) the same case applies to frank zappa.

I found some rare prog albums having all the members on the front cover: jethro tull - a; greenslade - gold rock; gryphon - midnight mushrumps; pink floyd - piper + ummagumma; refugee; renaissance - ashes are burning (the band is dispatched on both sides) + time-line ; focus -in and out + moving waves + live at the rainbow; ; marillion -clutching at straws; IQ - living proof; rick wakeman - 6 wives + criminal record + rhapsodies; caravan - first + if i could do...; starcastle - real to reel...

the bands more often appear on the back of the album covers, like camel - raindances and the first album; rush-grace under pressure + permanent waves; visible wind - emergence; everon - flood; ozric tentacles - jurassic shift...

You are right! I forgot all these bands and albums.

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 00:31

Iván

Say what you want about that album cover... but those boys are downright purty!!!!  yummy!

Oh.. and isn't Pink Floyd on the cover of Ummagumma?

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 00:49
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

...but those boys are downright purty!!!!  yummy!

err no comment on that one....
Vegetableman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 00:50

Yes are on the one of the the covers for both their self titled album and Time and A Word.

Jethro Tull were on a bunch... This Was, Benefit, I think on the back cover of Minstrel in the Gallery and Heave Horses, a drawing of them on Stand Up, and Ian Anderson on Songs from the Wood.

"Mister Fripp, your music is quite different than everything else out there. In one word, how would you describe it?"

"Progressive.... yeah, that's it..."
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 01:15
I;m not a big fan of album covers with pictures of the band on them, because I don't find them exciting enough.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 07:15

[QUOTE=ivan_2068]

Yes, indeedy...and if you look hard enough, I think I can see you in the background hugging somebody. 

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 21:26
Originally posted by Vegetableman Vegetableman wrote:

Yes are on the one of the the covers for both their self titled album and Time and A Word.

Yes. In the U.S. versions of both albums there are band photos in the front cover, but it was only when both albums were released for the first time in the U.S., and even "Time and a Word" has a band photo with Steve Howe, and he didn`t play guitars in this album at all! Peter Banks` photo appears in the back cover (he played the guitars in their first 2 albums). The original U.K. covers of both albums didn`t have front cover band photographs. Only "Time and a Word" had (as the U.S. version) individual photos of the band members in the back cover.

Edited by Guillermo
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 21:28

Iván

Say what you want about that album cover... but those boys are downright purty!!!!  yummy!

"Ummagumma" has one of the most funny and original covers I have seen!

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 21:53

Kansas didn't have any either.  Some back covers and liners but never on the front cover.  The reason?  Just like most of the groups listed  in the first note(except ELP for 3 fates) they are not attractive people. I think the marketers knew this would't help sell albums.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 22:14

Kansas did a very interesting thing, in the album Point of Know Return (Vynil version) the inner paper bag has an incredible picture that looks as a captain's log and there you can find a drawing of all the members of Kansas, even Rich Williams without the patch on his eye (He lost the view of that eye progressively since about those years).

A very imaginative and intelligtentv way to include the pictures of the members of the band without looking cheesy.

By the way, Threefates, I said nothing about ELP members (Nor good or bad) I leave that to women, ask me to judge a female picture and I'll do it, but the cover design is very cheesy, looks more like a calypso album.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>