Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 282>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1800iareyay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 10:14
I'm afraid the new algorithm is probably going to lead to a lot of these kinds of reviews.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memowakeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 11:20
PHOENIX — Cantofabule (Cantafabule)
Review by Progus (Saramago)

1%20stars This is not progressive rock but Romanian popular music. With good will we can call it rock as it uses the usual instruments and formulas associated with rock. But there is nothing of progressive in this and in the other Phoenix albums. The music itself is boring and repetitive.

Posted Friday, July 13, 2007, 09:34 EST
Review Permanent link | Submit a review for this album

This reviewer has no idea of what he´s talking about, everyone has it´s opinions, but this seems to be only a childish review.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 12:07
Just remembering, although the majority already knows, that some posts here were moved to:

Both topics are very similar but this one here is used only to inform the abuse. Further considerations are to be done in the other topic (see link above). Thanks!
Guigo

~~~~~~
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 19:57
This one came from the top 100??? thread.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39787&PN=10

Originally posted by rattlehead rattlehead wrote:

Originally posted by Tichy Tichy wrote:

It's the silliest Top100 I've ever seen. Even when Atom Heart Mother was No. 1, it's better, at least funny and obvious to be fixed soon:)

Who is SBB, only 28 people voted for it, how could it be found a place in a Top List, I'm not talking about music quality, lyrics or songs. It's not the best 100 list, I don't argue that who's the best or how could WYWH be the best album in prog history, even though it's not a prog album at all (at least not fully-qualified)

This is Top 100 list, it's not for progressive rock listeners, but for prog newbies. They want to learn much more about progressive rock or are suggested by a friend, check out the progarchives and wonder who's the most populer albums and bands: Bacamarte, SBB, Focus, PFM? (Don't piss off, I love the last two of them, but these groups are not a starting point or the most known samples)

And why are all the polls about Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, ELP, VDGG; because we know them better and want to discuss about them, even their worst albums. Is there anyone to see or remember a Bacamarte or SBB poll? Because they are not popular, 500 people did not vote for their albums, 200 people did not review their album, I don't know maybe %80 of progarchives visitors did not listen it. I don't care about how SBB, etc. are musically great, they did not left a mark, were not discussed or unfairly criticised, their name were not heard from who did not know what the prog is. So the list must be changed soon, because it's meaningless now and don't forget that this list Top 100, not the best 100. And how can ELP almost out of it?

You’re complaining about the list of 100 top albums because bands which are not very popular and significant such as SBB or Bacamarte are in the top of the list among Floyds, Genesis, Yes, Crimson, etc.

So what? I don’t understand what’s wrong or inappropriate with it. Ratings are ratings…

Furthermore I suppose you’ve never heard any piece of SBB’s music, nevertheless you have just visited SBB site on Progarchives and you voted 1 star for their most popular album "Memento z banalnym tryptykiem" just because you don’t like the fact it is so high. The same with Bacamarte. This is not fair !!

You’re complaining about the list, but through people like you these ratings are indeed completely meaningless and don’t make sense at all (regardless of rating system) !!!
Rattlehead spotted it , i also post his reaction, i fully agree with him. Normally it can be pretty difficult to determine if a one star rating is given in good faith (have to look at patterns i think). In this case with all the evidence before us it seems to me that Tichy's destructive actions can be rolled back.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 20:20
Checking and dealing with. Pity that it may become a nasty practice since the algo is apparently very sensible. Anyway, this kind of action only damages the ratings-without-reviews and consequently a bunch of nice buddies who aren't proficient in English but wish to express their opinion.
Guigo

~~~~~~
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 14:18
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=129150
The rating should be enough, the review doesn't say ANYTHING though.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 16:58
Done!
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sircosick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 20:56
Maybe it doesn't matter at all, but an user named Velvetclown has many ratings (without reviews) repeated Confused
The best you can is good enough...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 05:34
Cheers Sirco, now addressed. The ratings come from the days when it was difficult to check which albums you had already rated.

Many of us remember VC with affection despite his occasional unorthodox behaviour. He used to be a frequent contributor to the site.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 05:50
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Many of us remember VC with affection despite his occasional unorthodox behaviour.

Sad, but true.

Uhm, I'd like to point out something that Ivan talked about, in a different discussion about the band Doracor. He observed some unusual ratings without reviews:

here's the quote:

Now, there's somethimnng that bothers me

It's strange that their first album has many ratings and not a single review and Transizione has only one review by Erik (3 stars) and 5 ratings without review that as you will see are very suspicious:

• 5%20stars Rated by nowy Posted Monday, February 12, 2007, 10:04 EST | Permanent link
  • 4%20stars Rated by novi Posted Monday, February 12, 2007, 10:14 EST | Permanent link
  • 4%20stars Rated by Jona Posted Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 21:51 EST | Permanent link
  • Seems like all were given by the same person in a period of less than 24 hours and higher than what the album deserves.

But is even more casual that they came here to rate oinly Doracor albums

Novi:

Nowi

Jona

I believe something could be done to avoid distorsion of ratings.

I believe Nowy and Novi are, without doubt, the same person, though they fooled a bit the impression by having a a different rating for "Transizione".

About Jona nothing is sure, Ivan just thought his ratings dated very close to the other two.

Atkingani View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 08:05
    Two or three fans may schedule to come here for rating after talking via chat or MSN...  difficult to spot and also to figure it as abusive. I'd say the abuse really happens when they come here to upgrade an album and downgrade another one (we've caught a couple of attempts like these).
    Guigo

~~~~~~
    Rivertree View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 09:50
    Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Two or three fans may schedule to come here for rating after talking via chat or MSN...  difficult to spot and also to figure it as abusive. I'd say the abuse really happens when they come here to upgrade an album and downgrade another one (we've caught a couple of attempts like these).

Good point
    It looks like they wanted to manipulate a little bit because novi and nowy were registrated and voted at the same day. But the average hasn't changed.
    In this special case I would agree to leave it as it is.

But where is the limit? What if they had tried it with 10 new accounts?

Edited by Rivertree - July 21 2007 at 09:51

Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 11:30
    Any further discussion on this in reviews discussion please.Wink
    Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 16:22

I just replied but it vanished.

In this case I believe an example should be set, te ratings of Novo and Nowi are a clear attempt to manipulate, if we allow this to happen, the next tome there will be 20.

Despite the three persons have posted their ratings in a lapse of 24 hours , never came back and none speak English, I can't assure Jona's is the same person.

I believe the higher ratings (Mowi) should be deleted because if a respectable member like Erik has made a complete review and it's lower, it's more than evident that this guys (probably band members) are trying to manipulate the charts.

I would also delete Jona's, but there's no evidence that he/she is the same person, but in the case of Nowi and Mowi is a no brainer, both sets published in a lapse of 14 minutes and with almost identical nicks.

Iván.

Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 16:48
    It's in the reviews discussion Ivan, per my post above.Wink

This thread is for reporting only.
    TheProgtologist View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 22:45

1800iareyay View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1800iareyay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 22:48
    You beat me to it Jody
    Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 22:49
    I think you're letting your Iron Maiden fanboyism blind you Jody. You can't delete reviews just because you don't like the rating. I found it to be very informative

Wink
    "One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
    The Miracle View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 23:34
    Those reviews are sooo funny

The Caravanserai is even better and his tarkus review is pure gold:
    Review by tarkusxx
    Posted 10:53:43 PM EST, 7/24/2007

5%20stars simple [%*!#]!!!!!

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 23:36
    There's a bolding that's not closed in

has the whole front page bolded.
    "One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 282>