Weather Report - Heavy Weather CD (album) cover

HEAVY WEATHER

Weather Report

Marcos
4 stars Teen Town

This album is ecstatic. Here, jazz is mixed with a kind of 'symphonism': the orchestration and the counterpoint aren't own of jazz. Also, the sonorities are an innovation: the fretless bass and the synths are quite strange for jazz in those days. The harmony arrangement was succesful, not dude; I love the duets between Zawinul and Shorter, these counterpoints are great, really. They sounds like a complete brass section. Rhythm, at WR's works isn't the classic jazz rhythm: some of latin influence and sometimes without swing.

Musicians were awesome, but I have to emphazise in Jaco Pastorius. He changed the way we understand the bass: thechnique, skill, effects, harmonics, etc...

'Birdland': exciting theme, great opening. 'A remark you made': an emotional ballad, I love the sax in this work. 'Teen Town': Do you want to know who was Jaco? Listen to this work. It's awesome. No more words. 'Harlequin': a smooth theme. 'Rumba mama': Alex Acuņa plays the percussion and sings a latin song (a rumba); nice song, but non-essential. 'Palladium': one of the most "symphonic" themes, if you allow this expression. 'The Juggler': what a great melody! The main melody at this track can stay into my head for many hours. Beautiful work. 'Havona': inspiration and skills, great song.

If you want to have a complete collection of prog-movement, you have to buy some jazz-fusion albums. Heavy Weather is one of them. 4 stars.

Marcos | 4/5 |