Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 13:07
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Nice suggestion, but with or without his own comments, he hasn't broken any rule. Glad you've seen it happen in other places though, apparently is has never been a problem until today.
It's never happened before today... Confused
What?
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Life Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 13:15
And....now you know why no one wants to post reviews here anymore.  I used to post a few per week, but situations like this make me want to delete my account.  I haven't mainly because there are many bands that have appreciated the reviews I wrote for them here.  
theprogmind.com
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 13:20
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Why not encourage him to edit the review and add his own thoughts as well? I've seen many reviews quote other reviewers verbatim in the context of their own assessment.
Verbatim, Yes, but every single word, No. 

(A translation can never be "verbatim" Tongue)

Nice suggestion, but with or without his own comments, he hasn't broken any rule. Glad you've seen it happen in other places though, apparently is has never been a problem until today.

Sigh... No, the translation bit did not happen. The verbatim part did. You work in IT, don't you? Wink

But, beyond the nit picking, I stand by my opinion - no rules broken, so no action to be taken - and the Joe Soap story is just that - a soap story. 
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 13:25
Originally posted by Second Life Syndrome Second Life Syndrome wrote:

And....now you know why no one wants to post reviews here anymore.  I used to post a few per week, but situations like this make me want to delete my account.  I haven't mainly because there are many bands that have appreciated the reviews I wrote for them here.  

Thank you for contacting everyone and speaking on their behalf.
This is becoming something of a broken record eh? Only last time you did so in the review comments. If you don't like it here, then merely leave. No one is forcing you to stay.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 13:29
Also: we almost never moderate reviews. It is extremely rare that it happens. Mostly it's down to illegal downloading activity or people being (too) offensive in their language.
How is that scaring anyone (valuable) away from this site?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 13:31
Personally speaking, I don't post reviews here because I cannot write as easily as I used to do. If it was easier for me to write, I'd post ten reviews a week, because there is a lot of music that deserves to be better known. However, I have never thought about posting somebody else's review under my name - even if, as I pointed out in my previous post, Lucas did the right thing by citing both the author and the source before the text of the actual review.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 14:33
Originally posted by Second Life Syndrome Second Life Syndrome wrote:

I have to say that I do not really understand this post. I suspect it is because something has happened which has, as is usual these days, gone completely over my head.

Anyhow, I do not review that much because I simply cannot find the time I would like to devote to it. I do know this, though. I am very proud of my reviews, even the rubbish ones. They are all my own thoughts, feelings, emotions, and appreciations. I cannot imagine for the life of me putting someone else's thoughts on this site in my name, even if they did get the "credit". I genuinely cannot see the point.

Anyhow, back to sleep and blissful ignorance, Mr Laz
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 14:50
Sleep well, sir Lazland ;-)

Edited by Angelo - September 30 2015 at 15:18
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 17:03
Severe jail sentences to all those punks who don't follow the rules!!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 17:33

Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Why not encourage him to edit the review and add his own thoughts as well? I've seen many reviews quote other reviewers verbatim in the context of their own assessment.
Verbatim, Yes, but every single word, No. 

(A translation can never be "verbatim" Tongue)

Sigh... No, the translation bit did not happen. The verbatim part did. You work in IT, don't you? Wink
Verbatim just means the section being quoted is a word-for-word transcription of the original, it does not mean the whole thing is being repeated, copied or quoted. Show me a review that quotes another review in its entirety...

I don't work in IT, the only verbatim I know in computing is the Verbatim Corporation, so what is your point?

But, beyond the nit picking, I stand by my opinion - no rules broken, so no action to be taken - and the Joe Soap story is just that - a soap story. 
And I stand by mine, reviews should be posted under the account of the original author, not the translator.
What?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 18:10
Now this issue under discussion in AZ ... not sure "why Lucas posted a review not written by himself, whether it be translated or not", though.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 18:11

Verbatim just means the section being quoted is a word-for-word transcription of the original, it does not mean the whole thing is being repeated, copied or quoted. Show me a review that quotes another review in its entirety...

I don't work in IT, the only verbatim I know in computing is the Verbatim Corporation, so what is your point?

I know what Verbatim means. And I'm not going to show you those reviews - Todd can point you to them, he said he's seen them.

As for the IT bit - never mind that, I was only joking at your attempt to make all statements perfect. You've known me longer than today, no? ;-)

And I stand by mine, reviews should be posted under the account of the original author, not the translator.

Fine. Let the current admins decide which set of arguments is better for the site. We're retired and should be in bed by now. Goodnight!

Edited by Angelo - September 30 2015 at 18:11
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 13:13
Different topic - I think some real cleanup is in order.

Thomas Thielen urges to stop fake reviews on PA through his Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/ThomasThielenT

With this guy as a nice example:

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=56517

Edited by Angelo - October 01 2015 at 13:26
ISKC Rock Radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 13:24
The link doesn't work Angelo. At least not for meEmbarrassed

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 13:25
Feck. It's corrupt. I'll fix it.

EDIT: Fixed.

Edited by Angelo - October 01 2015 at 13:27
ISKC Rock Radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 13:37
I have to admit that I always get a little...let's just say cautious, whenever I see somewhat under-the-radar acts receiving 5 after 5 star review, but it is very hard to establish proof of fraud, unless people are doing the multiple accounts from one IP thang, and even that is possible to circumvent. 
I'm not sure you can say that he purposely is pushing the album either, as he has some 3 and 4 star ratings of 2015 releases as well. 

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 14:11
Sneaky b*****d from the looks of it. Join, rate the top 15 of the year quite low, and put in 1 five star review.
There are more, but I can't create a list right now (only phone at hand).

The fact that the artist is talking about it on FB should be a trigger though - it's not exactly the publicity PA may seek....
ISKC Rock Radio
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 14:22
It was Colin who spotted it actually, and tagged Thomas into the case.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 15:04
That doesn't change what is going on - apart from having one more report outside.
ISKC Rock Radio
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 15:13
wow, 2 pages about a translation I did of Philippe Vallin's review of Sequentia Legenda's ', I feel honoured :-) You guys have a lot of time to lose...
And you didn't read the orignal review, but the translation is very far from the original text, some sentences were even completely reworked to sound as if they came from me. Anyway, I posted it in agreement with Philippe, and I must mention that I am myself reviewer for his website, Clair & Obscur... Hard times of inquisition have come back...

Edited by lucas - October 01 2015 at 15:28
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 282>