Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 282>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 14:59
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1024737

Review doesn't actually say anything about the album, just talks about how he doesn't like dream theater or... their band name?
I see what you mean. It's hard to believe anyone could give Dream Theater's classic "Images and Words" a totally negative 1-star "review" when it happens to be my favourite Dream Theater album. Confused 

Same here, I believe its one of the most important and groundbreaking progressive albums as well, and i'm not really even a prog metal guy.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 15:16

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1024737

Review doesn't actually say anything about the album, just talks about how he doesn't like dream theater or... their band name?
I see what you mean. It's hard to believe anyone could give Dream Theater's classic "Images and Words" a totally negative 1-star "review" when it happens to be my favourite Dream Theater album. Confused 

Same here, I believe its one of the most important and groundbreaking progressive albums as well, and i'm not really even a prog metal guy.
Me neither. The only two Progressive Metal bands I like are Dream Theater and Ayreon. Smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 16:11
I also want to add that this individual has given a one star rating to every single dream theater album. If he is "unable to sit through images and words" I highly doubt he has listened to the other ones.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 16:30

I also want to add that this individual has given a one star rating to every single dream theater album. If he is "unable to sit through images and words" I highly doubt he has listened to the other ones.
Yes, that sounds like a very dodgy hatchet job, specifically targeting Dream Theater if he's given all of their albums a one-star rating. Confused

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 04:21
We seem to have gone from nothing but 5 star reviews to 1 star reviews. The Yin and Yang of PA. Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

We seem to have gone from nothing but 5 star reviews to 1 star reviews. The Yin and Yang of PA. Confused
Too true. Anyone who gives a bunch of 1-star reviews to a whole string of albums all by the same artist has to be a bit suspect. Confused
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 09:44

Too true. Anyone who gives a bunch of 1-star reviews to a whole string of albums all by the same artist has to be a bit suspect. Confused

I think I know which string of albums you're referring to. You can be pretty sure he hasn't listened to all of them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 10:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I think I know which string of albums you're referring to. You can be pretty sure he hasn't listened to all of them.
Yes, it's the Dream Theater albums mentioned earlier in this thread. He didn't mention anything about the music or songs on the "Images and Words" album and he even admitted that he hadn't even listened to the album. All he wanted to do was tell us how much he hated Dream Theater.  Here's the "review":-

"1 stars It is offensive to me that this band is even considered a progressive rock band. How is it progressive to rip off every prog rock band that came before you? If you ask me that is regressive behavior not progressive. The words dream andtTheater should never be uttered anywhere near the same words as King Crimson or even the word Rush. Please for the love of all good music everywhere remove this so called prog rock band from this otherwise very reputable and reliable source for good music. That being said I can't really review this album because I can't listen to it for more than a few minutes at a time. In a word, lousy."

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 04:55
Re: Review #2309710 (Big Big Train, REFLECTORS OF LIGHT)

The review states that (during a gig) 'a man from upstairs got angry and started shooting at the band'. What the reviewer meant, was that the man started SHOUTING. (I was at the gig in question, sitting upstairs, just a few feet from the man in question. If he'd started 'shooting' I'm sure we'd all have heard about it.)

I sent a message to the reviewer but they haven't replied. Perhaps someone could send them a reminder?
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 05:13
LOL  that's a quite funny occasion

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 06:11
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

LOL  that's a quite funny occasion

It was brutal. During the first half, all we could hear up there was the lead singer and the drummer (Nick D'Virgilio). No wonder that man started shouting!
I wrote about the incident in my review of the live CD:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2010228
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 08:25
This guy is ratings only http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20306 but does he hold a record for most 1 star rated albums?   This guys doesn't seem to like too many prog albums.  Although this justaguy gives him a run for his money.  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32645.   Kind of interesting how many of his first reviews were 4 and 5 stars but most everything since is 1 and 2 stars.

Edited by rushfan4 - February 01 2020 at 08:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 09:30
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

This guy is ratings only http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20306 but does he hold a record for most 1 star rated albums?   This guys doesn't seem to like too many prog albums.  Although this justaguy gives him a run for his money.  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32645.   Kind of interesting how many of his first reviews were 4 and 5 stars but most everything since is 1 and 2 stars.
Crikey! That's unbelievable, although I don't know any of the albums he's given one-star ratings to. Smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 07:10
I'm sure this has been discussed before but no idea where to find it if so.

I'm just wondering why it's permissible to post ratings and reviews on albums before their release date.

Current example is Pendragon which isn't released until 17 Febr.

Review doesn't really sound like it was even listened to.

Just wondering. In a perfect world albums could be locked until the day of release.

Probably not gonna happen i know :D

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 09:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'm just wondering why it's permissible to post ratings and reviews on albums before their release date.

Just wondering. In a perfect world albums could be locked until the day of release.

Whether its written down or not, you would think it would be a common sense policy that things shouldn't be rated or reviewed until the day of release, except for when requested from the artist with an advance copy, which happens.  If that is the case however, then it should be noted in the review.  Otherwise, it should not be permitted.

If a review doesn't find a way of showing that the album was listened to, then it should be deleted.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 09:42
All ratings and reviews removed from latest Pendragon release.

Just as a reminder to everyone, we don't have the ability to lock an album. Also we can't clear an album of reviews and ratings all at once, but we have to delete each one very slowly, one by one.  We might cleanup any reviews that don't mention that they received a preview copy like TCat said, but if there are too many we might just delete the album before the release date to make it easier on everyone.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 12:01
just to clarify re Pendragon, I pre-ordered, and have had my copy for about a month, so it is entirely possible the reviewer did the same.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 13:05
^ i guess there's no official policy about release dates but if preordered and received it then I guess that means the release dare doesn't mean much.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 14:25
Any word on these reviews?

OP admits he hasn't listened to the album, has given every DT album one star reviews

Doesn't seem like reviewer has listened to the full album, just describes it in very vague terms and only mentions the opening track

Reviewer says nothing about the album, just calls them an anglagard rip off in a bare minimum review
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 15:06
Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

All ratings and reviews removed from latest Pendragon release.

Just as a reminder to everyone, we don't have the ability to lock an album. Also we can't clear an album of reviews and ratings all at once, but we have to delete each one very slowly, one by one.  We might cleanup any reviews that don't mention that they received a preview copy like TCat said, but if there are too many we might just delete the album before the release date to make it easier on everyone.

I don't think it would be a good idea to delete albums before the release date.  Other music sites always announce albums as soon as they can be verified and it gives that site an "edge" of sorts.  I have noticed that other sites link to Prog Archives as verification of a release, meaning that other sites look to our site for announcements of new releases and such. 

It may be difficult to police a site like this though, and I understand it would be a nightmare to go back and delete reviews that were made in the past, but can we delete them as they are reported?  I thought that was one of the reasons for this thread.  I re-read the rules at the beginning of the thread, but it doesn't mention anything about reviewing albums before the release date, though I think that it would be something to discuss, maybe by making it a rule to mention that it is an advanced copy or a request from the artist, or something to that effect. 

I'm only making suggestions, and obviously I don't know all the quirks of administering this site, so remember these are only my naïve suggestions.  But it does seem the site is somewhat respected as a worthy source of progressive music releases and reviews.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 282>