FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRadiohead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 08:42

I totally support it.

Radiohead is a rock band >> They have pushed the limits, exanded their sound in multiple ways>> they always challenge the listener (except the very first album, that is) >> they continue to PROGRESS, making cerebral, inventive, adventurous music = Sounds like a prog band to me. They are in the true spirit of prog moreso than a lot of other bands included in the archives.

I"m not going to make excuses for the alterna-geeks and trendies who listen to them, as I thought they successfully shook the pop/alternative pinup boys tag on OK Computer and have been defying the mainstream ever since. Just think of all the preps, jocks and fratboys who listen to Pink Floyd, but they're still prog, no? (I've met a few cool jocks and fratboys, but you know what I mean...)

...it is real...it is Rael...
Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 08:44
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I find it VERY hard to accept Dream Theater as prog, when all they seem to do is recycle Metallica, Yes and Joe Satriani material. Their music is more metal than prog. GET THEM OUT!!!

This really is a load of cr*p.  Being metal doesn't mean that they sound like Metallica, in fact it was after discovering DT that i gave up listening to Metallica, when i discovered that there was more to music than playing the same riff over and over for eight minutes, and very quickly became profoundly bored of Metallica, tell me cert, is everyone with a metal sound, in your eyes, simply recycling Metallica?  Is this the extent of your knowledge of metal music?

Now, i REALLY don't get the Yes comment, ok, fair enough, there are clear Yes INFLUENCES in their music, but you can't honestly tell me that any of their songs actually sound like Yes, can you?  Or is it that every band with such a gifted keyboardist is recycling Yes?

Finally, they shouldn't be listed along side Satriana just because they have a shredder in their ranks.  Satriana writes songs JUST so he can solo over them, his lyrics are awful and his music is just plaing boring, i mean what sort of discerning listener wants to hear 70 minutes of fret w**king?  Petrucci on the otherhand IS a decent lyricist, and although his soloing is occasionally a little over the top, it is only found in appropriate places in the song, and doesn't go on so long that the listener just switches off (except  perhaps in places  on their new album, but that is only one in eight  studio recordings, and it is only in places).

Way more prog then Radiohead (whose placing in the archives i do not object to)

Edited by Metropolis
We Lost the Skyline............

Captain Fudge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 09:02
I opened the champagne!!! IT's grrreat news! I've now won 20$ in a bet with my best friend! Can I be certf1ed's sidekick?

Teenage sucks hard -- Emo sucks even harder
Epic. Simply epic.

philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 10:54
* RADIOHEAD * Ok Computer progressive rock album and reviews * RADIOHEAD * - Ok Computer
Review by Eliott Minkovitch @ 7:34:33 AM EST, 1/16/2005
2 stars  —   This kind of stuff should not be on this site, I hope someone will wake up and remove it. Since when did alternative rock become progressive rock? You might as well add Green Day, Chemical Brothers and other techno-crap. And oh, throw in David Bowie too. And why not Oasis or Nirvana?

ENTERELY TRUE!! WELL SAID!!

Edited by philippe
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 11:11

I agree!

Radiohead should not have been added.

Don't get me wrong, I love OK Computer, but it's just not prog rock.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 11:12
Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

I am 100% with Philippe on this one.Thumbs Down

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 11:51
Radiosmeg!!
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 12:30

Great - they should be here.

Progressive rock = rock that progresses.

Music that moves, is restless, questing, inventive, seeks radical forms of expression. You can open up all the other pigeonholes you wants - angst rock, sadcore, alternative, blah,blah,blah - Radiohead are one of the most interesting, genuinely progressive rock bands out there.

I'll give you a comparison - 90% of neo-prog which slavishly re-enacts the finer moments of Genesis, Yes, KC et al like some kind of geeky historical recreation society or

Radiohead who started out life as an run-of-the-mill post-Grunge 'alternative' band and became, with OK Computer the progenitors of a music being emulated by thousands of wannabes the world over.

Taking elements of grunge, classical, jazz, krautrock, electronica Radiohead pushed their own musical boundaries and those of their audience with some of the most intelligent, questioning music of the '90s and early 21st century. OK Computer is a masterpiece of real progressive music. Anything by Echolyn, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, yadda yadda yadda is a sad facsimile of a bygone era by comparison. Listening to them is like listening to Lenny Kravitz ripping off the Beatles, Zeppelin, Bob Marley, the Isley Brothers etc etc etc. Booooring.

Some have suggested that Radiohead are not 'prog' because they don't have great solos, or long songs, or are not virtuoso musician.

Oh please!!! Grow up! Is this really the criteria by which we judge progressive music. If that is the case then  Yngwie Malmsteen is the prog equal of Yes - great technique, long songs and endless solos. Yet we know that Malmsteen is just another over-schooled plank-spanking egomaniac whose entire musical output is the aural equivalent of a long and draining bout of dysentery.

Pink Floyd (with the exception of Gilmour) were not great musicians and they're prog. Genesis, certainly on Tresspass and Nursry Cryme are not technically proficient.

Is it because Genesis used mellotrons? Radiohead have 'em - all over OK Computer. Is it because of an envelope-pushing love of technology as ELP had? Check out Kid A and Amesiac's use of sequencers and Jonny Greenwood's obsession with theremins, ribbon controllers and a battery of effects that would make Emerson green with envy.

Yeah, we all love classic prog but surely we're all about making some progress. Why shut yourself in a room with the same couple of hundred albums and only open the door when a record which sounds like a sonic photocopy of same comes calling.

You can clap your hands over your ears and scream 'elpgenesisyeskingcrimsonrush' till you're blue in the face, but the music world is not going to stop evolving or go away.

The classic rock the flat-earthers here are so keen to protect was born out of a melting pot of jazz,classical and rock idioms that were popular in the late 60s early 70s. What the hell is wrong with making 'progressive' music utilising the building blocks of dance, electronica, lo-fi, krautrock, classic prog, ambient, grunge, indie-rock whatever. It's progress. Take the sounds around you an use 'em, it's all music, it's all there to be enjoyed.

Say hello to Godspeed You Black Emperor, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Tortoise, Fourtet, whoever you like.

These, not the sad and weary, drab and dreary neo-prog or prog-metal copycats, are the future of progressive music. Deal with it and welcome them on board.

Three cheers to those who made the decision to include Radiohead, the most innovative and genuinely progressive rock band of the last 10 years.

alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 12:46

arcer, thank you so much for such an intelligentpost.  While I'm not completly one way or the other with them being on the site, I have realized two things....

1).  Some people need to get off the 70's prog hig horse and open their ears.  If you think that the only good prog was in the 70's, then I guess that prog rock is truly dead, adn that Punk won (Something I hope NEVER happens.)

2).  To those who are happy with this, take it and don't ask for more.  I don't want to start seeing polls in the forum for Muse or whatever other english rock bands that even REMOTELY sound progressive to be added to the site. (no deference to Muse, I love the stuff they do, keep up the good work

I'll finish with this:  Progressive Rock= rock that progresses, as arcer put it soo well.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 12:49
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Reed, you've made at least 50 posts in this thread just saying "Radiohead shouldn't be here."  We get it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 12:50
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

arcer, thank you so much for such an intelligentpost.  While I'm not completly one way or the other with them being on the site, I have realized two things....

1).  Some people need to get off the 70's prog hig horse and open their ears.  If you think that the only good prog was in the 70's, then I guess that prog rock is truly dead, adn that Punk won (Something I hope NEVER happens.)

2).  To those who are happy with this, take it and don't ask for more.  I don't want to start seeing polls in the forum for Muse or whatever other english rock bands that even REMOTELY sound progressive to be added to the site. (no deference to Muse, I love the stuff they do, keep up the good work

I'll finish with this:  Progressive Rock= rock that progresses, as arcer put it soo well.

Your post is totally contradictory IMO.So Muse dont play "rock that progresses" - since when?

Any group that plays Progressive Rock as their definitive style should be here.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:01

This is utterly fantastic!!! What controversy!!!

First, can I say a huge

YAH BOO SUCKS!!!

To all those who seem to actually take offence that a band that is infinitely MORE prog than many of the bands in the archives are finally here. As arcer says - grow up, why don't you? I don't understand why Reed thinks that the Radiohead following are such "bully boys" when we've taken a pasting from the stick-in-the-muds everytime the name of the band is mentioned.

It gives me great pleasure to shred a few of the negative posts:

Gdub:

A) Because their music is rather simplified altrernative with a little synth to give it atmosphere

You really haven't listened, have you? (and you can't even spell alternative, so I wonder if you know what it means). Or are you talking about Hawkwind?

B)amateurish, simple,  redundant lyrics

I mean, you REALLY haven't listened! (or rather, read the lyrics - because it's quite difficult to make them out sometimes...). There are soooo many prog bands whose lyrics are amateurish and simple, while Radiohead's are deeply complex and minimal. To take your argument further, you would probably think that Webern or Philip Glass are amateurish composers because they subscribe to minimalism. It's the perfect antidote to overblown maximalism (if there is such a thing), and a large part of neo-prog, which is why so many fans of the early 1970s groups don't get neo-prog.

C) They're English so why not.

Good call!

Metropolis:

I can and have actually identified the exact Metallica riffs that Dream Theater stole on "Images and Words", for example - and if you really think that all Metallica do on "...And Justice for All" is play the same riff for 8 minutes, then you haven't listened to it at all. My knowledge of metal music is probably a little broader and deeper than you might think...

Dream Theater's style on "Images and Words" quite simply IS NOT PROG. Got that? It isn't. Never will be. Not prog. Nope.

Whatever your opinion, I think it's wrong to say that Dream Theater are more prog than Radiohead, because the style of music is so totally different. It's like comparing Pink Floyd to Rush.

Joren I will ignore, because he doesn't think Pink Floyd, Marillion or Genesis are prog - so he clearly hasn't got a clue what prog is.

Philippe From most of your past posts, I would have to assume that you only listen to complex music - please remember that prog is not necessarily complex - it is PROGRESSIVE. There is a difference

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:23

[
We hope that you choke.. that you choke

repetitive lyrics

I think they suck....they suck

I can spell alternative and as if you have never made typos before.

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:27
I might be wrong
I might be wrong
I could have sworn
I saw a light coming on

I used to think
I used to think
There is no future left at all
I used to think

Open up, begin again
Let’s go down the waterfall
Think about the good times
And never look back
Never look back

What would I do?
What would I do?
If I did not have you?

Open up, let me in
Let’s go down the waterfall
Have ourselves a good time
It’s nothing at all
Nothing at all
Nothing at all
You're right...complex and not repetitive at all.

Edited by gdub411
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:33
Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Reed, you've made at least 50 posts in this thread just saying "Radiohead shouldn't be here."  We get it.

Actually most of my posts on this thread should probably be under the heading of:

"Why DallasBryan shouldnt be here" Wink

As for Cert:

To me, the fact that Radiohead have been included despite a majority seemingly to be against it, suggests that someone has won through methods other than concensus.You yourself have tried to "bully" all argument saying Radiohead arent prog. Not wanting to continue a debate for fear of half a screens worth of pro-Radiohead bluster, is being bullied in my opinion.

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:37
Reading every single post in this thread, there is only one thing i have to add to discussion. There is a difference between music that is progressive in the world of music, and prog-rock. For example one of the most groundbreaking and influential musicians of all time is jimi hendrix, love him or hate him you have to acknowledge that he did something with music which up to that point had not been done by virtually anyone and it changed all types of rock and roll forever. With that said virtually every argument (at least the good ones) Ive seen which say that radiohead should remain on prog archives all suggest that jimi hendrix should be added, he was talented the music he played was far removed from the mainstream, he was political in his lyrics and music, he played atmospheric pieces even (check out machine gun). Now I dont think hendrix should be added at all, but for what reason should radiohead be on the site that jimi hendrix shouldnt be on (other then he doesnt have any themed albums, he only had three studio albums im sure he would have eventually.) Thinking about it david bowie also fits the criteria.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:37

Not I - I do not bully.

I make salient points - and the fact that I pay attention to detail means that it takes me more than one or two words to make my points.

I have tried to draw reasoned and rational arguments from the anti-Radiohead crowd, who seem to have the single argument "Radiohead aren't prog". Well, that's convinced me!!

NOT!

If you're afraid of debate, then the intelligensia have won, IMO.

Gdub - WTF has repetition got to do with something not being complex?

The reason Radiohead are here is because the site Admins have decided they should be - that is something I at least have as much say in as any other member of this site; Our voices are heard and registered, and appropriate action is taken.

If I had anything to do with it, then Queen would be there before Radiohead, quickly followed by Metallica - who have done more to progress metal than any other band. THEN I would have added Radiohead... although having re-listened to OK Computer today, I am utterly convinced that it is a prog album in the true spirit of prog.

It needs time to find that out - come back in 5 years

Edited by Certif1ed
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:49
Radiohead, Prog or not? I don't really know but I tend to say Yes...judging the 3 albums I know (Kid A, OK computer and Hail to the Thief).
Radiohead are quite complex, progressive in the way of creating music which is everything but common and know how to create certain feelings, they're very atmospherical, even the soloing is quite odd sometimes...Maybe a listen to "Paraniod Android" for example could support these points.

So Prog or not, I don't REALLY care because I like them the way they are, regardless of the set of drawers they belong to...

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:51

Reed, it appears that there is a reasonably even divide between those who consdier Radiohead to be Prog-ressive and those who are stuck in a 70s timewarp

might I suggest that this is just one 'post-rock' band that has been admitted - there are still hundreds of hammond and mellotron-bashing, loon-panted goons still out there to satisfy even the most ardent flat-earth progger.

Neither should the inclusion of Thom Yorke and his angsty cohorts be regarded as "the thin end of some kind of 'modernist' wedge".

Somebody mentioned Muse - they should definitely not be considered for inclusion.

The reason? Cause they're sh*te  

Seriously, Coldplay (despite a dollop of Floydiness), Muse, Keane, and the rest of the Radiohead lite bands should never be included simply because their music defies the key component in the prog equation - it does not progress, it's static, reflective (in the bad sense of the word) and fleeting. Some of it's good - Coldplay - some of its mawkish, wussy, girly rubbish (Keane) and some of it is just melodramatic keening (Muse) but none of it is progressive.

Certain 'modern', 'avant-garde', 'post-rock' bands will inevitably get included in the archive but why is that worse than some dreadful gurning prog-metals poltroons being added? Some of us come to prog on a jazz tip, some with an American aor sensibility (DB), some from metal, some with a classical bent and some from a European art-rock (and by that I mean Roxy, Bowie, Eno etc) school.

I don't agree with it, but I can understand why some people think awful metal band Dream Theatre should be included, personally I think 'awful' post-rock band Radiohead merit inclusion too.

I mean, ultimately, man, why can't we just all live together in peace....won't someone think of the children!......

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 13:55
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

I mean, ultimately, man, why can't we just all live together in peace....won't someone think of the children!......

Edited by diddy
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>