Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHired hands on tour!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hired hands on tour!
    Posted: October 31 2006 at 19:50
Which bands used additional musicians on tour and why? Point being that aren't prog bands supposed to be the creme de la creme of musicians, so why hire extra's?

A tour that comes to mind is Floyd's tour of The Wall when they hired Snowy White and Midge Ure!
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 19:56
SKY used Rick Wakeman on their tour for the album "The Great Balloon Race." Either Steve Gray wasn't couldn't be there or they just wanted an extra keyboard player, I can't remember exactly. It's a great album, by the way, wish I could of seen the tour (would have helped if I was alive then I guess ;)).

That's the first example I thought of.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 20:15
It seems bands hire extra musicians basically cause they want to reproduce the sound of their albums, and sometimes a four piece can achive it. Its not something I like that much, but if it works well, then so be it.
Many times bands that dont have keyboards in thei music, or at least not in the band, bring them so it can cover some spotes when playing live, so the sound is richer.

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 20:59
I can think of two intances.

Yes hired Billy Sherwood on the 'Talk' tour & Transatlantic hired Daniel Gildenglow on the 'Bridge Across Forever' tour.

Like El Bothy says, to reproduce a studio album in a live setting they have to use extra musicians. Bands will lay down multi tracks in the studio, which makes it impossible to authentically recreate the album on stage without hired hands.  It's not ideal but I suppose it's better than using backing tapes as many bands do.
BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 21:53
I usually don't like it. But PT's addition of John Wesely is consistant, and I think he has become a part of their live band, so this case does not bother me at all.
I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 22:28

I agree that it's just to fill out the sound. If the album had double tracking and overdubs, it's going to sound sparse without someone playing, say, rhythm guitar. Years ago when I saw Floyd, they had extra guitarist or two, an extra keyboard player and a percussionist. Not to mention back up singers. I'm not sure how something like "Comfortably Numb" would sound with just one guitarist.

You gotta admit; hired guns are preferable to prerecorded tracks.
"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 22:33
Pink Floyd needed a sax player and back up singers.

Genesis had their two 'live only' members after Hackett left, and even had Bill Bruford for a little while he was still there. It would have been impossible for them to do it otherwise. It wouldn't have been much of a show with Phil behind the drum kit for the whole concert.    
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 23:31
Originally posted by raindance raindance wrote:

Which bands used additional musicians on tour and why? Point being that aren't prog bands supposed to be the creme de la creme of musicians, so why hire extra's?

For a simple reason.......human limitations, in studio one musician can play 2, 3 or 20 instruments overdubbing, this can't be done on stage, just imagine Mike Oldfield playing all the instruments in Tubular Bells.

1. ABWH recruited Tony Levin and he even played during the Onion tour with Yes.
  2. Genesis played with Bill Bruford
  3. Pop Genesis always toured with Darryl Stuermer (Mike played the guitar in studio) and Chester Thompson (Of course shorty played the drums on studio).

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 31 2006 at 23:33

Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 00:10

A tour that comes to mind is Floyd's tour of The Wall when they hired Snowy White and Midge Ure!

Midge Ure?  LOL

The additional musicians used at The Wall concerts during 1980 & 1981 were:

The Surrogate Band:

Andy Bown - bass & Ovation acoustic guitars
Andy Roberts - guitar & Ovation acoustic guitar - 1981 shows only
Snowy White - guitar & Ovation acoustic guitar - 1980 shows only
Willie Wilson - drums & tambourine
Clive Brooks - drums on June 13 1981 only
Peter Wood - keyboard & Ovation acoustic guitar

Also, backing vocals on Outside The Wall:

Joe Chemay
Stan Farber
Jim Haas
John Joyce
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 00:11
This is about Tony Levin and  the "Union Tour" (1991) (from http://www.forgottenyesterdays.com/tour_listing.asp?s=5&tname=14&SortBy=tDate&so=asc&navb=4 ):

Notes From The Edge:

TONY LEVIN INTERVIEW by Mike Tiano
Copyright © 1995 Notes From The Edge #129/Jeff Hunnicutt and Mike Tiano.
All rights reserved.
(Used with permission)
MOT: Steve told us that you were contracted for the UNION tour.

TL: Nope. I did the album, then, after we had done our S. France tracks, their overall plan changed to include a reunion. I don't recall who told me, but it obviously meant I wouldn't be touring with them, which was fine with me (not many bassists would love a two - bass - band) and I went to the show in Albany, near here, to say hi to the guys.

Edited by Guillermo - November 01 2006 at 00:13
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 00:16
Pink Floyd included additional musicians in their concerts since maybe 1973, to play all the songs from their "Dark Side of the Moon" album: one guitarist, a sax player (Dick Parry) and two female backing singers.
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 00:32
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Pink Floyd included additional musicians in their concerts since maybe 1973, to play all the songs from their "Dark Side of the Moon" album: one guitarist, a sax player (Dick Parry) and two female backing singers.

Sorry, but for Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon tours of USA (x2) and UK in 1973 and on through to the British Winter Tour of late 1974, additional personnel were Dick Parry on saxophone and 2/3 backing singers [it varied] sometimes called The Blackberries.

The first time a second guitarist was used on tour was the 'In The Flesh' tours of Europe and North America in 1977 to promote the Animals album - this was when Snowy White first got involved with them.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 00:38
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

This is about Tony Levin and  the "Union Tour" (1991) (from http://www.forgottenyesterdays.com/tour_listing.asp?s=5&tname=14&SortBy=tDate&so=asc&navb=4 ):

Notes From The Edge:

TONY LEVIN INTERVIEW by Mike Tiano
Copyright © 1995 Notes From The Edge #129/Jeff Hunnicutt and Mike Tiano.
All rights reserved.
(Used with permission)
MOT: Steve told us that you were contracted for the UNION tour.

TL: Nope. I did the album, then, after we had done our S. France tracks, their overall plan changed to include a reunion. I don't recall who told me, but it obviously meant I wouldn't be touring with them, which was fine with me (not many bassists would love a two - bass - band) and I went to the show in Albany, near here, to say hi to the guys.

I was sure Levin played in some gigs during the Onion tour, will check it

Yep, you're right, he only played officially in the album, point taken, probably mistaked it with the ABWH Tour in which he got hepatitis  and was replaced by Jeff Berlin on some dates, precisely for the recording of An Evening of Yes Music Plus.

But I'm still sure I read some people watching Levin on some Union gigs, probably some member here hass seen this.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 01 2006 at 01:38

Camel_APPeal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 01:08
I don't mind bands hiring an 'extra hand' for live performances; especially if the 'guest' musicians' aportations improve the music, or at least, refresh the music.

What amazed me though, was watching the live Gentle Giant videos on Youtube. I would've expected them to hire additional musicians to reproduce their sound live, but no! they managed to play it all by themselves!! GG is really amazing!

"After all, it's music what we're talking about here, so there's no best or worst; just what you like and what you don't"
raindance View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 01:32
Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

Midge Ure?  LOL

The additional musicians used at The Wall concerts during 1980 & 1981 were:

The Surrogate Band:

Andy Bown - bass & Ovation acoustic guitars
Andy Roberts - guitar & Ovation acoustic guitar - 1981 shows only
Snowy White - guitar & Ovation acoustic guitar - 1980 shows only
Willie Wilson - drums & tambourine
Clive Brooks - drums on June 13 1981 only
Peter Wood - keyboard & Ovation acoustic guitar

Also, backing vocals on Outside The Wall:

Joe Chemay
Stan Farber
Jim Haas
John Joyce

Midge Ure defineatly played on some date's on the Wall Tour. I believe it was when Snowy White was ill or something!
Froth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 03:45
I think all the hired hands on Pulse are partly what makes it such a dull record. Turned Floyd into a tribute act to themselves
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 05:26

Midge Ure defineatly played on some date's on the Wall Tour. I believe it was when Snowy White was ill or something!

Perhaps you might divulge your sources.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 05:37
Does no one else think that the term "hired hands" is derogatory and disrespectful to incredibly talented musicians?
I am sure the bands in question felt that the addition of these talents added something to their performances, they are hardly likely to sabbotage their own work are they?

P-C
JusLisn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 12:44
I agree with prog-chick. I have worked in a professional recording studio with "hired hands". These really are talented people with a real gift for interpreting music into something magical. In fact, in many instances are probibly more talented, at least technically, than the originators of the music.
Ad hoc, ad loc and quid pro quo. So little time, so much to know.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 13:22
Originally posted by Froth Froth wrote:

I think all the hired hands on Pulse are partly what makes it such a dull record. Turned Floyd into a tribute act to themselves

Exacly!!! I wrote the exact same thing in my review of Pulse...never liked that album
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>