Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 19:49
Yay, the saviors have come!Hug
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 19:33
threads like this make my head explode.  Angry
Seriously people, there ARE different definitions of what constitutes progressive music, but I think what it boils down to is how you view the term "prog" itself.

1)  You think "prog" is a title of honor to be bestowed only on bands that carry on the "ideals" of the 70's movement (and by ideals, here I mean they carry on the same sound that was created almost 40 years ago).  To consider so many modern bands as "prog" is to dilute the title and make it lose meaning.

2)  You think "prog" is an attitude and progression is only one attribute of music among many.  You view PA as a music information database that is useful for linking the interests of people worldwide who are interested in progressive music.  To call a band "prog" is to say that many people who listen to other progressive rock would likely enjoy the band, not to give them a special gold star.

Anyway, there are of course shades of gray, but these are the two main camps as I see them.  Maybe one day we can all get along?  Cry

PS
dredg are NOT emo! Angry  just because the singer has an emotive voice does not mean they are part of the movement of popularized emotional hardcore/punk.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 15:05
Ivan, all I'm going to say is that I don't particularily care for how any time you disagree with somebody on whether a band could be considered prog or not, you immediately accuse them of only wanting to consider that band as such because they like them.  There are TONS of prog bands I don't like, it's not an "honour" for me to view Dredg, Radiohead and so on listed as prog... I simply think they are, and since both are listed on the site apparently somebody out there agrees with me.  I adore the band Kamelot, for instance, but by no stretch do I think that they deserve to be listed on PA (which they are, go figure).

As for why I consider Dredg prog, we went through this exact debate way back in the days of Radiohead's inclusion and I know from experience that it won't reach any viable conclusion... some of us feel that prog is taking on a new form through these bands, some of us don't feel that it has anything to do with what they consider prog, that's pretty much that.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 11:18
Originally posted by Maverick Maverick wrote:

Ivan_Melgar_M,
are you saying about the prog's death? Do you think that prog is already dead, because there are MANY people listen to modern prog bands like Muse, Coheed And Cambria and progressive rock becomes more and more popular? Do you think that the groups above are mainstream?

Maverick, did you read my post?

I said:
When we start blending Prog with more mainstream is the day when Prog will die, as I said it has survived many other popular genres because it has kept a safe distance from mainstream.

I'm talking in a conditional futuire, if we let Prog blend with mainstream, will loose identity and most surely die.

Never mentioned Muse or Cheed and Cambria, I talk about speciffic bands in specific posts.

Iván

Maverick View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 10:28
Ivan_Melgar_M,
are you saying about the prog's death? Do you think that prog is already dead, because there are MANY people listen to modern prog bands like Muse, Coheed And Cambria and progressive rock becomes more and more popular? Do you think that the groups above are mainstream?
In PROG We Trust
Voyage_34 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 13:51
I think dredg started out as quite prog, leitmotif feels very progressive to me in that it all flows together as one piece of art instead of just a collection of songs put together. El cielo a little less so, and catch without arms not at all.

Still, catch without arms is my favourite album by them. Almost every single song is a masterpiece and there are a couple that I would class as some of the beautiful songs I've ever heard. But I think they've strayed from prog. And it works for them. Can't wait to hear the new album.
Ok what's next? After the sex?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 13:51
Originally posted by Maverick Maverick wrote:

Ivan_Melgar_M:

Well. Of course, somebody likes modern prog groups, but another dislikes them.

That's natural. I like some classic Prog bands like Genesis and dislike most of others like King Crimson, and also like some Modern Prog bands and others not, but IMO Dredg is not remotely Prog.

Nowadays, we have many prog groups. Some of us THINK they are progressive, but other DON'T THINK they are progressive. For me Oceansize and Dredg are progressive, for you - other groups are progressive. It's the matter of taste.

No, liking or disliking is  a matter of taste, saying a group is Prog or not is a matter of characteristics, styles, sounds, influences, structure, etc.

A band plays Prog music (There are no Prog bands, because a band may play Prog and non Prog music like Genesis, Yes, Supertramp, etc) or doesn't play prog music, taste has nothing to do with this.

The main problem we face today is that people wants to be guided by taste.."I like this band, then is Prog". Some people like Meatloaf (I like his music) and inmediately proposed him for Prog Archives, another group likes The Who (I'm a fan) and say lets include them, taste is not a good guide in this case, I like both bands but I would never support their inclusion.

Hey, Prog is not an award, a band is not better because it's included in Prog Archives, GEPR, Proggnosis or Progressive Ears, The Who, Meatloaf, Al Stewart, Aphex Twin, etc will continue being as good or bad as they were despite they are included or not in Prog Archives.

When we start blending Prog with more mainstream is the day when Prog will die, as I said it has survived many other popular genres because it has kept a safe distance from mainstream.

The average listener will never visit a Prog site but some real Progheads will stop visiting a site in which they don't trust because it has a lot of mainstream.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 18 2006 at 13:56

Maverick View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 13:03
Ivan_Melgar_M:

Well. Of course, somebody likes modern prog groups, but another dislikes them.

Nowadays, we have many prog groups. Some of us THINK they are progressive, but other DON'T THINK they are progressive. For me Oceansize and Dredg are progressive, for you - other groups are progressive. It's the matter of taste.

Edited by Maverick - December 18 2006 at 13:03
In PROG We Trust
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 12:36

Maverick wrote:

Quote   THAT'S RIGHT.

Some people have problem with it - they want to hear the 70's influences in modern progressive rock bands, but... is it really progressive when you repeat something that Genesis, Yes or KC had done yet??? Why modern prog bands must sound like 70's prog bands??? That's the question.

Some people are so desperate to say their part that they don’t read previous posts before witting what they want. I answer this post because it’s clearly directed to my previous posts without having read all of them.

I clearly said that I don’t care if Prog sounds like the 70’s or 2000’s, if you check you will find Bryan and myself were the ones who pushed and made possible the addition of FANTOMAS, I personally added OSIBISA and MIRANDA SEX GARDEN others that doesn’t sound at all like the 70’s Prog, already have ready the addition of Mediaeval Baebes for Folk with whom I believe Sean agrees, so it’s not a problem of sounding like the 70’s, it’s a problem of being or not being Prog, that’s all.

Third and most important, Progressive Rock is a genre, not an attribute of music, it doesn’t necessarily have to progress, change or evolve, if the characteristics are present and they are inspired in Genesis or ELP, they are still Progressive Rock.

For example, I like Dredg, Oceansize. They are PROGRESSIVE for sure! I like them because they bring to music something NEW. And I hate Genesis or Yes-clones, just because when I'm listening to them, I say: "Heh...I've already heard tis somewhere..." And it kills me. I love Genesis, Yes, KC, they are fathers of prog, they are Gods for me. Yeah.

Nobody wants clones, but playing in a style is not cloning, for example ANGLAGARD played in the 70’s style and was absolutely original, I have all their albums but I don’t own one by STARCASTLE because I couldn’t care less for cloning bands, my opinion about most tributes is also clear.

Some people deny modern prog rock, just because they think they hear SOAD or other crap influences in it. They are frightened of hearing SOMETHING NEW in music. Modern prog bands stay close to 70's prog rock, but at the same time they try to add other influences in their music.

Don’t call SOAD crap if you want your taste respected, I don’t like their music personally, but they have been inducted several times and it’s obvious some members like them, if I said Dredg has some SOAD influences is because I honestly believe they have SOAD influences, but even you must accept they are mainly an alternative Indie band, and I don’t believe that’s Progressive Rock, in that case we should add REM who were much more original, used mandolins and had dramatic changes.

Dredg is linear, flat, their songs have all the same mood and practically the same sound, there’s no versatility, variations, they are not a bad Alternative/Indie with a bit of EMOP band but being good is not a synonymous of being Prog.

And about your phrase: “Modern prog bands stay close to 70's prog rock, but at the same time they try to add other influences in their music.” Dredg has nothing in common with the 70’s, they have more (Not that this is a requisite) but they are closer to Cobain’s Nirvana, REM or Coldplay than to anything else.

Prog will never die, and I'm happy that NOW we have such bands like Dredg or Oceansize.

Prog has survived Disco, Punk, New Wave, New Age and a lot of more popular musical genres because they kept a safe distance from mainstream, a cult or semi underground genre that blends with mainstream looses the real fans and doesn’t gather new fans from the mainstream scenario, so if you want to destroy Prog’s identity,  then go on and add every mainstream alternative Indie band because you like them.

Our generation never succeeded making Prog popular, but we managed to keep the genre alive when all the critics were asking us to bury it and at the end we survived Punk that appeared trying to destroy Prog.

Maybe my post is a total mess.

No, it’s coherent but still I disagree with it.

Sorry, my English is bad.

Not bad.

Iván

Maverick View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 07:17
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Prog today doesn't have to sound like it did in the 70's. Keep that in mind.

THAT'S RIGHT.
Some people have problem with it - they want to hear the 70's influences in modern progressive rock bands, but... is it really progressive when you repeat something that Genesis, Yes or KC had done yet??? Why modern prog bands must sound like 70's prog bands??? That's the question.

For example, I like Dredg, Oceansize. They are PROGRESSIVE for sure! I like them because they bring to music something NEW.
And I hate Genesis or Yes-clones, just because when I'm listening to them, I say: "Heh...I've already heard tis somewhere..." And it kills me. I love Genesis, Yes, KC, they are fathers of prog, they are Gods for me. Yeah.

Some people deny modern prog rock, just because they think they hear SOAD or other crap influences in it. They are frightened of hearing SOMETHING NEW in music. Modern prog bands stay close to 70's prog rock, but at the same time they try to add other influences in their music.

Prog will never die, and I'm happy that NOW we have such bands like Dredg or Oceansize.

Maybe my post is a total mess.
Sorry, my English is bad.

Edited by Maverick - December 18 2006 at 07:22
In PROG We Trust
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 02:54
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

U2 were Progressive for their time, but they are not Progrock and this is a PROGRESSIVE ROCK SITE.

I've been thinking about that too, Ivan. Now that you've said it outloud I think that's correct; U2 are not progressive rock. But man, were they progressive for a pop band, the most we'd seen in years, much more than the Police or any of the early neo stuff.

Edited by Atavachron - December 18 2006 at 02:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 02:43
Originally posted by KeyserSoze KeyserSoze wrote:

"El Cielo" is an awesome album and really I don't care if Dredg are prog or not (they sure ARE progressive, if not PROGROCK).

If they are not Progressive Rock, they don't belong here, REM and U2 were Progressive for their time, but they are not Progrock and this is a PROGRESSIVE ROCK SITE.

"Catch Without Arms" is a little dissapointment for me as it's different than "El Cielo". Anyway, I don't agree with some opinions above - you can't judge them after one listening (for this they're too difficult to get into)

By the contrary, I find them mainly simple and repetitive and BTW, I still have the CD's at my house and listened them repeatedly, it's not hard to get into them.

and their addition to this site was a good step because their music may address many progrock fans as it did for me.

But they also may and will mislead people wanting to know about REAL PROG.

Thanks to Progarchives I found one of the most interesting bands of these days. I'm over 30 years old, so we can exclude the theory that it's music for teenagers or "musically unexperienced" people as someone here suggested. It's all about a willingness to accept new trends and not stand still in 70's. That's my opinion. Period.

No, I'm not thinking in the 70's, but the change of times doesn't allow us to include ecery alternative/Indie band that sounds depressive, they are not PROGRESSIVE ROCK as you well said, so they don't belong here.

The Miracle: Thanks for the nice post. I can't agree more!

Respectfully I disagree, I find not a single Prog element.

Iván

KeyserSoze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 19:39
"El Cielo" is an awesome album and really I don't care if Dredg are prog or not (they sure ARE progressive, if not PROGROCK). "Catch Without Arms" is a little dissapointment for me as it's different than "El Cielo". Anyway, I don't agree with some opinions above - you can't judge them after one listening (for this they're too difficult to get into) and their addition to this site was a good step because their music may address many progrock fans as it did for me. Thanks to Progarchives I found one of the most interesting bands of these days. I'm over 30 years old, so we can exclude the theory that it's music for teenagers or "musically unexperienced" people as someone here suggested. It's all about a willingness to accept new trends and not stand still in 70's. That's my opinion. Period.

The Miracle: Thanks for the nice post. I can't agree more!

Edited by KeyserSoze - December 17 2006 at 19:42
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 19:35
Originally posted by SolariS SolariS wrote:

I've only heard "Catch Without Arms". It sounded very bland, unimaginative and repetitive to me. I don't think that album could be considered prog, and it's the last album of theirs I will buy.

I suggest you gie Leitmotif and El Cielo a try, CwA is their most mainstream work and their weakest albumSmile
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 19:33
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

^Just because you dislike this band does not mean it isn't Prog. 

You must not have read past the first line in my post.

I am merely trying to give the fans of this band some perspective, because they seem to be trying to validate their love for this band by claiming it as progressive rock, which it is not by any definition i have heard, if truth be told, i would classify their interpretation of influences as regressive rock.

I have no problem with people liking this band, but they should stop trying to push this on other people as prog; for instance, i would not give anything by this band to a newcomer to prog, because they would obviously form false conceptions about the genre.

If you really want to call this prog, go ahead, but don't think that doing so will gain them any more artistic respect acceptance.

They are prog by definition.

"Dredg is a band with a completely unique sound. They transcend many genres with their art-rock styles and manage to be one of the deepest and most talented modern progressive bands today. I recommend them to anyone looking for a rebirth in great progressive music"

^I agree 100% with that statement, Dredg play very unique and interesting music that's actually progressive unlike all the modern symphonic bands that live in the 70's.

Bu PA definition:
  • Long compositions, sometimes running over 20 minutes, with intricate melodies and harmonies that require repeated listening to grasp. These are often described as epics and are the genre's clearest nod to classical music. An early example is the 23-minute "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Other famous examples include Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" (43 minutes), Yes' "Close to the Edge" (18 minutes) and Genesis' "Supper's Ready" (23 minutes). More recent extreme examples are the 60-minute "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" by Green Carnation and "Garden of Dreams" by The Flower Kings.
Admittedly not, but neither have some widely accepted classic prog bands, Gentle Giant is one example.
  • Lyrics that convey intricate and sometimes impenetrable narratives, covering such themes as science fiction, fantasy, history, religion, war, love, and madness. Many early 1970s progressive rock bands (especially German ones) featured lyrics concerned with left-wing politics and social issues.
All three of their albums are concepts with deep/subtle meanings, Leitmotif is about a spiritual healing of a sick man, El Cielo is about a disorder called Sleep Paralysis and CwA is about the balance between good and bad(more ion their concepts here: http://www.dredg.traversing.pinkpenguins.com/albumanalysis.htm
  • Concept albums, in which a theme or storyline is explored throughout an entire album in a manner similar to a film or a play. In the days of vinyl, these were usually two-record sets with strikingly designed gatefold sleeves. Famous examples include The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis, Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes, 2112 by Rush, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall by Pink Floyd, and the more recent Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater and Snow by Spock's Beard. Aqualung, perhaps the best-known record by Jethro Tull, is often regarded as a concept album due to its recurring themes, but songwriter Ian Anderson has always claimed that the album is just "a bunch of songs".
I just said that all three are wonderful concept albums.
  • Unusual vocal styles and use of multi-part vocal harmonies. See Magma, Robert Wyatt, and Gentle Giant.
Gavin is one of my all-time favorite singers, all their albums are filled with utterly beautiful vocal harmonies.
  • Prominent use of electronic instrumentation — particularly keyboard instruments such as the organ, piano, Mellotron, and Moog synthesizer, in addition to the usual rock combination of electric guitar, bass and drums.
They have a full set of prog rock instrumentation: keyboards, bass, guitar, vocals, plus additional instruments like sax, mandolin and various percussions.
  • Use of unusual time signatures, scales, or tunings. Many pieces use multiple time signatures and/or tempi, sometimes concurrently. Solo passages for virtually every instrument, designed to showcase the virtuosity of the player. This is the sort of thing that contributed to the fame of such performers as keyboardist Rick Wakeman and drummer Neil Peart.
They are all outstanding musicians who are able to blay with virtuosity BUT Dredg's music is not about crazy time signatures or  5-minute w**king solos, they are all about coherence and beautiful compositions. Most post rock is also void of unusual time signatures.
  • Inclusion of classical pieces on albums. For example, Yes start their concerts with a taped extract of Stravinsky's Firebird suite, and Emerson Lake and Palmer have performed arrangements of pieces by Copland, Bartók, Moussorgsky, Prokofiev, Janacek, Alberto Ginastera, and often feature quotes from J. S. Bach in lead breaks. Jethro Tull recorded a famous cover of J. S. Bach's "Bouree", in which they turned the classical piece into a "sleazy jazzy night-club song", according to Ian Anderson. Marillion started concerts with Rossini's La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie). Symphony X has included parts by, or inspired by, Beethoven, Holst and Mozart.
Not really, but neither did most other prog bands. They do have some pieces that sound like classical music(Brushstroke: Walk in The Park is a good example) and they include a classical jass piece inside
Whoa Is Me, as a part of the song.
  • An aesthetic linking the music with visual art, a trend started by The Beatles with Sgt. Pepper's and enthusiastically embraced during the prog heyday. Some bands became as well-known for the art direction of their albums as for their sound, with the "look" integrated into the band's overall musical identity. This led to fame for particular artists and design studios, most notably Roger Dean, whose paintings and logo design for Yes are so essential to the band's identity they could be said to serve the same function as corporate branding. Hipgnosis became equally famous for their unusual sleeves for Pink Floyd, often featuring experimental photography quite innovative for the time (two men shaking hands, one of whom is in flames, on the cover of Wish You Were Here). H.R. Giger's painting for Emerson Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery is one of the most famous album sleeves ever produced.
The original package of Leitmotif had concept-related artwork, but I have the regular version so can;t judge... El Cielo's booklet is full of actual letters from sleep paralysis patients, very interesting to read. Catch Without Arms booklet is full of wonderful paintings done by band members, here's the full collection: http://www.dredg.com/art.html

So are they prog? Hell yes. Do you have to like them? No.

5 out of 8 collabs who reviewed it rated El Cielo 5 stars, gotta be something prog about themErmm

Edited by The Miracle - December 17 2006 at 19:37
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 19:29
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

I am merely trying to give the fans of this band some perspective, because they seem to be trying to validate their love for this band by claiming it as progressive rock, which it is not by any definition i have heard, if truth be told, i would classify their interpretation of influences as regressive rock.

I have no problem with people liking this band, but they should stop trying to push this on other people as prog; for instance, i would not give anything by this band to a newcomer to prog, because they would obviously form false conceptions about the genre.

If you really want to call this prog, go ahead, but don't think that doing so will gain them any more artistic respect acceptance.

The fact that they are included on this site in the Art Rock category (meaning they are considered a Prog band) remains.

SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 19:04

I've only heard "Catch Without Arms". It sounded very bland, unimaginative and repetitive to me. I don't think that album could be considered prog, and it's the last album of theirs I will buy.

Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 19:03

^Just because you dislike this band does not mean it isn't Prog. 

I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>