Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 16:45
Originally posted by rupert rupert wrote:

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Regarding Anoraknophobia, the only song I can't get into is "Fruit Of The Wild Rose". The rest is amazing. I love that disc. E

Love that disc, too... but especially "Fruit" and less than the others "If my heart were a ball" cause it's more a Jam than a song, but all right it is, too... great album !

Rupi, I really like that tune. Especially captured live on either Anorak In The UK or the new live disc Smoke. It is a jam song, but Hogarth's vocals are monsterous.

E

iTunes: "Bite My Tongue" from Enchant's Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10

chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 17:31

Regarding Anoraknophobia, the only song I can't get into is "Fruit Of The Wild Rose". The rest is amazing. I love that disc. E

Love that disc, too... but especially "Fruit" and less than the others "If my heart were a ball" cause it's more a Jam than a song, but all right it is, too... great album !

Rupi, I really like that tune. Especially captured live on either Anorak In The UK or the new live disc Smoke. It is a jam song, but Hogarth's vocals are monsterous.

E

I think the whole album is great, though it took me some time to get into it. My least favourite track has to be 'Map Of The World' which I consider the most ordinary track on it, though it isn't a bad song. Some Marillion classics on this one for me, such as 'This Is The 21st Century', 'Quartz' (which may be my favourite of all!) & 'Fruit Of The Wild Rose'.
I definitely put this album in my top five Marillion albums now.Wink
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 17:33
"Map Of The World" is just one of those songs I don't really tired of. I've always liked Cutting Crew, so I think it's pretty cool that it was co-written by Nick Van Eede. Good tune with some beautiful keyboard work by Kelly.

"Quartz" just friggin' rocks. I love that tune.

E
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 17:38
    I'm slowly but surely becoming a Marilli-whore. After spending some time last week with Fish-era, I decided to give Hogarth-era another shot, and I'm in love.

But it's going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars to get all of the rarities, DVDs, B-sides, and live shows they sell
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 17:39

"Map Of The World" is just one of those songs I don't really tired of. I've always liked Cutting Crew, so I think it's pretty cool that it was co-written by Nick Van Eede. Good tune with some beautiful keyboard work by Kelly.

"Quartz" just friggin' rocks. I love that tune.

E

'Quartz' is the type of song Marillion do best. It would, in fact, have fitted nicely on 'Afraid Of Sunlight' methinks. I love Steve's guitar work on it. And the way it changes half way through is beautiful.
I really hope the new album is up to expectations. If the slower numbers on it are good, then the album will be good. Wink
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 09:44
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I'm slowly but surely becoming a Marilli-whore. After spending some time last week with Fish-era, I decided to give Hogarth-era another shot, and I'm in love.

But it's going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars to get all of the rarities, DVDs, B-sides, and live shows they sell

But oh so worth it in the long run.

Can't recommend Brave Live 2002 and the deluxe Marbles On The Road enough.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 09:46
Originally posted by chessman chessman wrote:

"Map Of The World" is just one of those songs I don't really tired of. I've always liked Cutting Crew, so I think it's pretty cool that it was co-written by Nick Van Eede. Good tune with some beautiful keyboard work by Kelly. "Quartz" just friggin' rocks. I love that tune. E

'Quartz' is the type of song Marillion do best. It would, in fact, have fitted nicely on 'Afraid Of Sunlight' methinks. I love Steve's guitar work on it. And the way it changes half way through is beautiful.

I really hope the new album is up to expectations. If the slower numbers on it are good, then the album will be good. [IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Especially the interplay between Kelly's keyboards and Rothery's guitar. Actually one of my favorite Marillion tunes. Period.

E

Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 16:15
I don't know what it is about Anoraknophobia, but I just can't get into it. There's just this quality to the sound that is more stale than all of their other albums. I just can't put a finger on it.
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 16:16
By the way, E-dub, did the release date get pushed back? I thought it was March 27.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 17:37
Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

By the way, E-dub, did the release date get pushed back? I thought it was March 27.

Yes. Actually, Stonebeard alerted me to it, and their website confirms it. Definitely the last thing I wanted to hear, but that's not too much. At least they're not doing a 'Guns-N-Roses' on us.

E

iTunes: "Liar On The Mount" from Wolverine's Still
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 19:38
Aww, shucks - now I need to update my Sig. I'm giving Holidays In Eden another run through with an open mind, and then I'm going to listen to Anoraknophobia. Those are the only two I didn't love...
arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 20:22
As any other band in the world you got to see them live and fall in love with their music... but personally is one of the few bands around that don't need to be attached to the mainstream and play by their own rules, something that most of the bands might want to achive... everytime they advertise a new record is madness, because of the very tight and huge fan base all around the world (me included). MARILLION rules, they are a household name now, a trademark sound and a stone in the feet to their detractors... peace
between darkness and light
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 00:58

Aww, shucks - now I need to update my Sig. I'm giving Holidays In Eden another run through with an open mind, and then I'm going to listen to Anoraknophobia. Those are the only two I didn't love...

I've never been too fond of HiE, although I like Cover My Eyes, This Town/The Rakes Progress/100 Nights, and Splintering Heart. The rest is pretty lackluster in my opinion. Anoraknophobia I loved immediately, though, it's probably my second favorite Hogarth album behind Brave (tied with Marbles).
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 05:51

I like Holidays In Eden more and more each time. It's obvious what they were doing, but I think it's more of a case of the record company leaning on them a bit.

"Cover My Eyes (Pain and Heaven)" is one of Hogarth's best vocal performances (It's one of the few cases where I like that over the song itself.) I do like "No One Can", but it is a bit light, as is "Waiting To Happen". Good quality album, but wish it had the teeth that Seasons End had.

E

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 06:03
Originally posted by arqwave arqwave wrote:

As any other band in the world you got to see them live and fall in love with their music... but personally is one of the few bands around that don't need to be attached to the mainstream and play by their own rules, something that most of the bands might want to achive... everytime they advertise a new record is madness, because of the very tight and huge fan base all around the world (me included). MARILLION rules, they are a household name now, a trademark sound and a stone in the feet to their detractors... peace

There seems to be a bit of a turn. I'm not seeing as many 'Fish Rules!' or "Hogarth Sucks!' posts as I did when I first joined. Pretty refreshing, I must say. I heard a lot of it in the beginning, but not once did it come close to changing the way I feel about this current incarnation of Marillion. Fish was gone no matter what; and, if anything the band should be commended for continuing, rather than closing up shop and calling it a career.

We've enjoyed two masterpieces in Brave and Marbles, and one that is really close in Afraid Of Sunlight. We've had a low period in the late 90's, but I can see that this band has it's swagger again. It's feeding off some spark and we're experiencing some great music in the new millennium. I listened to Marbles last week (the deluxe edition), and it really is a spectacular collection of music. Great job!

So, buckle yourselves in because I think this ride is about to get more exciting, Kids.

E
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 15:45

E

I listened to it shortly after my comments again... well... still don't think it's a finished song but you're right, Hogie's vocals are spinetingling and very, very good... but ... with a few exceptions ... when are they NOT ????
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 18:02
Originally posted by piltdown man piltdown man wrote:

When it was a fact that Fish had left the Marillios I lost them for a while, still buying the albums but it just didn´t feel the same. Then after a couple of years it all changed and I wish I knew which song or album did it but I can´t. One day I just discovered that I prefer the Hogarth-era today. Their albums keeps getting better, they´re trying new things and sounds yet keeping a unique sound. H is a fantastic singer and have really grown a text-writer as well.
They have a great website and provides us fans with loads of fun stuff to buy. I´m looking forward to "Something else"!

I think I'm having a similar experience. I think it's the product of Fish-era Marillion only having released 4 and a bit albums compared to H-era Marillion's 9. I really can't decide which era I like more now, when a year or so ago I would have said Fish without hesitation. I get the impression that when "Something Else" is released, if it's as good as Marbles, the Hogarth-era will probably become my favourite.

One thing can be said for definite, though, Fish solo >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hogarth solo.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 20:12
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

Originally posted by piltdown man piltdown man wrote:

When it was a fact that Fish had left the Marillios I lost them for a while, still buying the albums but it just didn´t feel the same. Then after a couple of years it all changed and I wish I knew which song or album did it but I can´t. One day I just discovered that I prefer the Hogarth-era today. Their albums keeps getting better, they´re trying new things and sounds yet keeping a unique sound. H is a fantastic singer and have really grown a text-writer as well.

They have a great website and provides us fans with loads of fun stuff to buy. I´m looking forward to "Something else"!
I think I'm having a similar experience. I think it's the product of Fish-era Marillion only having released 4 and a bit albums compared to H-era Marillion's 9. I really can't decide which era I like more now, when a year or so ago I would have said Fish without hesitation. I get the impression that when "Something Else" is released, if it's as good as Marbles, the Hogarth-era will probably become my favourite.One thing can be said for definite, though, Fish solo >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hogarth solo.

I would have to agree with the Fish stuff over Hogarth; but, not really a fair comparison. I think it's one man's livelihood vs. another man's hobby.

E

Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 21:57
I've got to say, I'm surprised that the band didn't release a fan edition, or call on us for support. I loved the Marbles and Anoraknophobia Deluxe Editions (the packaging was just top notch), and I would love to have a Somewhere Else Deluxe Edition. The band did say that they had plenty of songs that have been chopped down to the final setlist, so I'm a bit sad that we don't get a gander at the rest.
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 04:34
TRACKLIST Somewhere Else
Studio Album
Scheduled for release 9 April 2007

The Other Half
See It Like A Baby
Thank You, Whoever You Are
Most Toys
Somewhere Else
Voice From The Past
No Such Thing
The Wound
The Last Century For Man
Faith
---------------------------
I read somewhere that it is about the same length as Afraid of Sunlight, approximately 52 minutes.
Can't wait to hear it, although 'Faith' must have been a total new version of the song for me to be pleased.. I have the live 'demo' of that one (was on one of the Marbles singles as a b-side) and it well.. s*cked in my humble opinion Embarrassed
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>