Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread
    Posted: December 23 2022 at 20:24
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I'll post this here too since it is the appreciation thread.

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Pink Floyd have released 18 Dark Side of the Moon era live concerts on streaming services.</span><div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Pink Floyd share previously unheard Dark Side era live releases on streaming services | Louder (loudersound.com)

Last year they released a bunch of Pre Dark Side concerts, but after a few months took them down. I had been wanting to buy something from them from Itunes, but I took too long to make up my mind (I was particularly in a live version of Interstellar Overdrive with Gilmour that sounded better than the one from the early years boxset, and an early version of On the Run that was more like a jam than like sound effects).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2022 at 11:13
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Pink Floyd have released 18 Dark Side of the Moon era live concerts on streaming services.

Saw that the other day......Clap. Such a great live band and the recordings for the most part are all of very high quality.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2022 at 10:14

Pink Floyd have released 18 Dark Side of the Moon era live concerts on streaming services.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 00:44
Fantastic band through the ages!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 10:12

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 09:32
Early Morning Henry, a song from 1967 that the members of Pink Floyd were the backing band, thought lost, has been found and is being auctioned.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 21:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Pink Floyd is to prog what the Beatles are to rock in general. That is to say they are typically the first band you discover. They aren't my personal favorite but they are arguably the most important rock band who gets the prog label.

....because they are a progressive rock band. It's all rock music....Beatles are a pop band.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 20:00
Pink Floyd is to prog what the Beatles are to rock in general. That is to say they are typically the first band you discover. They aren't my personal favorite but they are arguably the most important rock band who gets the prog label.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 19:56
I came across this neat article on Yahoo of an interview with Nick Mason about his Saucerful of Secrets project and his time in Pink Floyd.  Rather interesting that his new live album has a chance to be the number 1 album in the US this week.

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 09:25
^Yeah right! I went there too some weeks ago and it was fascinating. A lot of very interesting content presented in a very fine, Floydian way. It got me listening to some PF again.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 08:17
Last week I travelled to London to see friends, and to visit the Pink Floyd exhibition. It's mostly excellent, and I highly recommend it.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 05:58
I was introduced to Pink Floyd listening Another Brick in the Wall(Part II) at Europa FM, a popular radio station from my country, but after years in which I'm not listen this charmful band, in autumn of 2016 I discover beautiful Pink Floyd songs(High Hopes, On the Turning Away, Hey You) at a Romanian Classic Rock radio station named Rock FM and I fall in love with their extraordinaire music and I consider they as one of most greatest bands of whole rock era, and this year in april I listen Echoes and in may I listen Shine On You Crazy Diamond. most disturbing pop songs I've heard ever. I recommand for beginners DSOTM, a good introduction to PF, prog rock and classic rock in general
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 17:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

goodies?

details man. For the old, lazy, and keyboard challenged who can't be bothered to google it.

I take it is isn't just a rehash compilation and there is 'newish' unreleased stuff on there.

Yeah, despite some familiar 1967 stuff, it's a great enough sampler of what must be in the box.
Given that if everyone here made a compilation of stuff from The Early Years, each CD would look different!
It's closer to "Relics" than "Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd" or "A Foot In The Door".
I thought it would appear as a separate item in the album chart but it seems to have counted as part of the box set in its brief chart run down from the top 20's.

Plus the version of Atom Heart Mother on the second disc is pretty much my go to from the entire collection.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 17:10
goodies?

details man. For the old, lazy, and keyboard challenged who can't be bothered to google it.

I take it is isn't just a rehash compilation and there is 'newish' unreleased stuff on there.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 13:19
^ Yeah, I bought it recently too. Some goodies in there! Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 06:11
Just bought the 2 cd set Pink Floyd The Early Years 1967-1972-intriguing collection which starts off with one of my fave Floyd songs Arnold Layne. Awesome!

Edited by presdoug - March 08 2017 at 06:12
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 11:42
Rick Wright also shines on You Crazy Diamond (part 5-9)............ my favourite track  off WYWH Wink
ctasan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctasan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 09:37
I have listened Animals several times - yes, didn't forgot Wright here, my point is Wright has been overshadowed by guitars, this resulted in a change of direction towards hard rock. See The Wall. Existence of keyboard is hardly noticeable, in my opinion.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 21:28
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Animals is Pink Floyd's prog-ROCK album. Guitar prominence over keyboard does not equal a drop in quality. Especially when you have someone like Gilmour playing that guitar. It's Pink Floyd with bite, with edge, with grit. And besides, Rick Wright has his moments in Animals too. The ambient section in Dogs, the intro to Sheep.

Actually, my favourite Pink Floyd album (and just my favourite album overall) is Wish you were Here... but if I want to compare in preference over Animals, I can hardly choose, I love them both so much... WYWH takes the edge in the end, though. And yes, I do believe Wright shines on Animals too, even if his writing credits are nonexistant. You also forgot the keyboards on Pigs, for me it's Wright the one that makes that song memorable.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 04:11
I didn't know this thread still existed! Thought it was locked away long ago. LOL Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother have been on my turntable lately. Still really good stuff and I'm still surprised by them!

Edited by SteveG - February 17 2017 at 04:11
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>