Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBanned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Have you ever been banned from a site?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [32.79%]
41 [67.21%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 11:42

A question (or two) for those of you with experience of other forums.

Where's does Progarchives forum sit in terms of civility, strictness vs. freedom of speech, number of members who get banned/warned/suspended, friendliness etc., compared to other forums (music related or not)?

Edited by Easy Livin - January 28 2007 at 11:43
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 13:48
you guys are a nazi regime!!!

Tongue

In all seriousness Bob, I'd say you are in the middle. I know some forums which are much more lenient, and I know others that just ridiculously closed-minded and unfriendly.
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 13:59
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Where's does Progarchives forum sit in terms of civility, strictness vs. freedom of speech, number of members who get banned/warned/suspended, friendliness etc., compared to other forums (music related or not)?

most other forums allow some degree of good-natured ridicule to transpire between members whereas here I've been warned away from making even the most innocuous comments. that coupled with the "only post positive topics" movement pretty much pushes constructive criticism to the sidelines.

we're cultured art-lovers with well-refined taste ;) so abolishing criticism is a large step backwards. we should keep each other honest! Tongue
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 14:53
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

we're cultured art-lovers with well-refined taste ;) so abolishing criticism is a large step backwards. we should keep each other honest! Tongue

I agree with this. Smile
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 16:32
Well, I been member of:

1. Progressive Ears.com: Since they were a Yahoo Group back in the 90's, still I'm member but due to my limited time in Prog Archives, it's hard to visit them often, great site though.
  2. Genesis Official Forum: Until it became The First United Church of Phil Coliins.
  3. Pink Floyd: Nice site
  4. Aural Moon: Great place but to slow in replies, very nice people.
  5. La Lata: Prog in Spanish, mainly a mail list hope it grows because we need a place in our language also.
  6. Prog4ever: The place created by the ex members of the Forum where one Sunday afternoon 50% of the members were banned: It was a great place, we were all friends but sadly didn't worked, I went recently and I found unreplied posts since July 2006.
  7. MelosProgBazaar: The place started by the member of India who was banned with all of us, I believe she's progressing but again too much to do here.
  8. When it was legal I joined several Audio Galaxy Communities to talk about Prog.

And of course the site I won't even mention who banned all people for racial or ethnic reasons, only rednecks allowed.

Most of them were civilized, but most of them less friendly than Prog Archives, I seen people insulting others for 50% of what happens here, but despite the problems, the next day we remain as friends as ever in Prog Archives.

Strict: Well, Prog Archives is strict but banning a member is normally the last resource after several warnings. It's a good policy.

Freedom of Speech: Most sites have a permisive freedom of speech policy (Except you know who Wink) but Prog Archives is probably the only one that encourages it, I rarely see a thread closed unless somebody has crossed the line by a mile.

Of course you won't expect freedom of Speech in Genesis Forum regarding dislike to Phil Collins and the 3 era man, but they have two sections: Other bands of interest and The Last Resource Forum, where you can talk about other bands or any issue, the problem is that you find Duran Duran mixed with VDGG Dead in a thread.

That's my perspective.

Iván

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 16:44
Never, no, not.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 17:01
"First United Church Of Phil Collins"!!LOLLOL I love it...

I'm a member of the following:
Progressive Ears (I post there a bit more regularly now as 'heep')
The British Archive Television Forum (my other big passion)
The Sweeney Lounge/The Professionals Lounge/ The Avengers Forum (all cult TV show forums)
Kung Fu Fandom (this is inappropriate now as I've grown out of it)
Travellers In Time- The Uriah Heep Forum (a place FULL of immature members- very boring topics with lots of bitching about band members)
Yesfans (I've only posted a few times there)
Genesis Forum (see below)

I never have been banned from any. I actually posted a hasty leaving post on the Genesis forum after being insulted for daring to dislike stuff from Abacab but I soon realised my own over-reaction (I'd never ever encountered such a childish response here so wasn't used to that sort of behaviour, though) and I must say, over the past month or so it's been quite nice- no backbiting or Invisible Touch fans nitpicking or trying to prove a point. There's a mammoth Flower Kings thread over there which I regularly contribute to- nice atmosphere on that one.

Other than that, nothing to report.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 17:59

I'm a member of several forums, only a few of which are related to music. The more technical ones tend to be quite nerdy, and we all now how tricky choice of words is when dealing with real nerds Wink. Fights do happen there, but are forgotten the next day or so.

As for PA: I think your policy is good, and the members are quite well behaved. We even sort out our own misunderstandings. And recently I even noticed an admin allowing someone to become a bit angry and direct, because he was found to be fairly defending his case. Well done, freedom of speech may have limits, but you seem to have put them in the right place.
One concern: collabs and prog reviewers  are humans like the rest of us. Don't forget to protect them from themselves, like you protect the rest of us! Smile
I felt bad seeing one collab leave the forums (for good?) because of ongoing fights with another collab, with hardly any (maybe none, not sure) interference from the admins. Confused
Confused

Edited by Angelo - January 28 2007 at 18:00
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 02:59
Thanks for the comments so far guys, keep them coming!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 03:48
The only other forum I'm a regular member of is a psy-trance dance forum - it's considerably smaller than PA, partly due to the minority appeal of the music itself & partly down to the fact it's membership are 99% English; you do get the occasional spat flaring up, but very rarely, overall it seems to be pretty much self-policed (although there are a couple of moderators gathering dust somewhere)& very friendly.

Oh - hang on, I'm also a member of a folk-rock band's forum (Leatherat), which is very friendly and has never seen an argument - probably because it appears apart from the band itself, I'm the only other member

Given the size of Progarchives, I'm generally surprised at how few problems actually come up, especially taking into account the range of ages and nationalities we have here; when they do come up, it is usually within the DNRTM section, and 99% of those times, it is down to politics or religion - whilst I'd not advocate banning such discussions (I've learned a great deal from some of these threads), I 100% support the moderators' decisions to close or delete those threads where the arguments bocome too personal, vehement or extreme (and we've all seen how extreme some ex-members views have been in the past), and following on from that argument, where moderators or the admin team make the decision to warn, remove or ban a member, be assured this is only done as a very last resort, and only after every other avenue has been explored.

Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

most other forums allow some degree of good-natured ridicule to transpire between members whereas here I've been warned away from making even the most innocuous comments. that coupled with the "only post positive topics" movement pretty much pushes constructive criticism to the sidelines.

Here I disagree.

This site actively encourages open debate, and there are examples everywhere of good natured ridicule & out-and-out p+++ taking. I also think you are reading the 'only post positive comments' policy incorrectly - there is nothing wrong with criticism (especially where Pallas's 'The Sentinel' is concerned ), but such criticism has to be balanced - anyone can jump into an argument & say "so-and-so band sucks giant monkey balls", but this is hardly 'constructive' criticism; by al meants criticise a band/album/song/Phil Collins, but do so with balanced arguments (and preferably humour, so salve those who will not agree with your views), not unmitigated negativity, which will only bring the same in return.

I appear to have wandered off thread a tad here...

Bottom line - no, I have never been banned from a forum & sincerely hope I never am from this one (unless there suddenly appears a rule banning ranting on & on & on...)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 04:04
Originally posted by OpethGuitarist OpethGuitarist wrote:

Tongue

And it was high time you realised itTongueWink.... *cracks whip*
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 11:56
Confused (has a bad image of a whip cracking lady in leather - poor Joey, and Mickey...) LOL

Edited by Angelo - January 29 2007 at 11:59
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 12:40
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

...has a bad image of a whip cracking lady in leather - poor Joey, and Mickey...

A bad image???

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 14:20
grrrmblll, the fact that I'm not a native English speaker is catching up with me again OuchWink Then again, my sight's been slightly impaired for years and I usually don't wear my glasses when using the computer... Big%20smile

Edited by Angelo - January 29 2007 at 14:21
ISKC Rock Radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 03:30

Then again, my sight's been slightly impaired for years

Mummy always said you'd go blind if you didn't stop it...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 05:36
Yes, temporarily. And because of being accidentally far too aggressive
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 07:19
"It's mine, and I'll wash it as fast as I like!"

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 07:26

By far the best, Bob!!

PA has the best Admin/ModsClap
and ForumBig%20smile

Some Forums have Stuck Up and Misrable moderators - even something funny, you get warned, even for disscussing a topic not related to that particular forum, it was a "sporting" forum it wasAngryOuch.
CYMRU AM BYTH
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 11:12
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by OpethGuitarist OpethGuitarist wrote:

Tongue

And it was high time you realised itTongueWink.... *cracks whip*

I'm excited!!! Don't let micky know!

LOLWinkTongueLOL
Big%20smile
Big%20smile
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 13:48
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Then again, my sight's been slightly impaired for years

Mummy always said you'd go blind if you didn't stop it...

You can see right through my posts, can't you... LOL
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>