Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins: we decided TONIGHT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these better describes Phil Collins?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [30.30%]
23 [69.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 14:15
Allright, allright, I wish the good man no harm. He is very talented, obviously. One of my favourite drummers. A very gifted songwriter as well, although I am thankful he waited as long as he did before contributing full songs to Genesis albums. Otherwise, we would probably have had 'One more knight' as opener for SEBTPWink
White Shadow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 20:35
Who the hell do you people that crucufy him think you are?  You have never done anything or will do anything that comes close to the level of greatness he has created.  Phil is a tremendous drummer and frontman/singer.  If you don't like his poppier material, then look the other way.  It's not up to you to critique his work because your opinion quite frankly means sh*t.  Besides, most of you just jump on the bandwagon against Phil anyway.  Leave Phil alone because he IS a genius but there is not an evil bone in his body.  I don't care what people think.  I like a lot of his solo stuff, even Tarzan.  Now, most of you just turned from my response after that, but who are you to judge.  The stuff I don't like doesn't bother me because Phil has given me such joy and inspiration, he can do whatever he likes.  Leave him alone because everyone else has picked on him enough, and for the last time, he didn't do anything to Genesis.  It was all five of them that affected the band.  But, of course you would just assume because like I said you're quick to assume and jump on the bandwagon.

*The YOU I speak of is those that attack Phil because they think they have the right to demand what Phil does with his talent and life.
[signature]
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 20:42
Well Whist, you did it, the most provocative thread in weeks. You've created a monster and now it's come for you...
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 20:46
It's just speculation on my part, but I think Collins has become an easy scapegoat for why the music went in the direction it did. It's almost like people are too lazy to look for the real reason it diverted so much from their original goal. Why are Rutherford and Banks untouchable? They weren't billed Phil Collins & Genesis or Genesis featuring Phil Collins. That pie was divided equally three ways, my friends. To slam one man is unfair, unfounded, and unimaginative.

I also like his solo work. Face Value (especially side 2) is out of this world!

E
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 20:51
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Not sure about either, but he's caused more whining than the whole 'hanging chad' fiasco in Florida.

E

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 21:25
He's quite obviously an Evil Oaf.  He meant ill from the start, but it took him about a half-dozen albums, because he's such an oaf.  

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 21:33
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

He's quite obviously an Evil Oaf.  He meant ill from the start, but it took him about a half-dozen albums, because he's such an oaf.  

I wonder what Gabriel took a half dozen albums to find out ?Big%20smile

Are we fools ?
We are fools !
Fools are we ;
Fools we are.

P.S. anyone wanna start a pool to bet on how soon the next anti-Phil thread or poll will be ?
P.P.S. Or maybe those who originate these threads just have problems with their short term memory Wink

Par Mephisto, Par Jupiter,
Et tout les saints en enfer ....

Edited by pantacruelgruel - February 12 2007 at 21:37
blaughida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 23:57
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Why are Rutherford and Banks untouchable? They weren't billed Phil Collins & Genesis or Genesis featuring Phil Collins. That pie was divided equally three ways, my friends. To slam one man is unfair, unfounded, and unimaginative.

How about this alternative to the "Collins started writing pop songs and made Genesis pop" theory: "Collins wasn't much of a songwriter before they went pop, but Rutherford and Banks were, so it's the two remaining founding members' fault that they stopped writing prog."  Not that I believe the second statement is true, but if we're incorrectly going to blame only part of the band, I think it makes more a bit more sense.

I really can't stand the song "Misunderstanding," but it would not have been on Duke if Banks and Rutherford had not chosen it for Genesis out of the songs Collins had written.  Of course they were all responsible for everything they recorded.  This is a band whose procedure for accepting members' material is frequently blamed for forcing a member out. It doesn't make sense to say they collectively made Hackett leave and then say Collins single-handedly made them a pop band.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 00:26
OK all of you great musicians... cast the first stone, whoever is without sin.... or better say, whoever has written any music and good music for that matter, let he or she be the first to cast the first stone.

The guy played in one of the best bands ever. The guy had to take the place of one of the most larger-than-life singers ever, the guy had to assume the leadership after he had the success the other two couldn't have on their own (where are the fantastic albums by Rutherford and Banks??) The guy decided his goal was to write some of the best pop ballads and pop songs, and so he did. The guy was respected by the likes of Peter Gabriel, whom everybody loves.

Anyway, we're all waiting for that first stone...
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:22
(SMACK)

Uh, sorry, my hand slipped...

Oh, I mean no offense (well, sorta). Gotta admit, I did kinda like the Tarzan stuff. Wasn't too fond of the pop solo stuff, but ya know, my cuppa tea, what-what. My problem is more with Phil and his general attitude...which was, all yea stone-cast-innotators, the purpose of the poll. Assuming you bothered to read the first post,  which I doubt.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:28

dude
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:30

.....dude
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:35

dude

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:36
Officially on dude-watch.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 03:09
Looks like Phil's mother has joined the threadTongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 03:18

dude

S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 03:48
Collins did some fantastic stuff at first stepping into Gabriel's shoes splendidly, then setting up Brand X - one of my very favourite bands - then he carried on by ruining both... His solo albums contain the odd piece of interesting bit, whilst his contribution to Camel's, or more like Latimer's output on  "I can see your house..." has delivered the worst Camel album ever.

I don't see Collins as a great drummer, he is trying too hard, but generally he is a great composer, singer, entertainer whilst having the courage to remain "cockney" as...
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 06:05
He is also responsible for Bowies "Tin machine", his worst period.

I don't like his composing and as a drummer, there is a lot of better drummers available.

Brand X are ok, but in fusion standards nothing new.

ryba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 08:21
again: PHILL COLLINS is one of the best musicians of the rock/pop scene. Outstandingly talented drummer, singer, composer and performer.
And as all the artists he has the right to do what he likes. Frankly, i like his popy songs very very much.
Long live Phil

Nash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 11:01
I also agree with the opinion that Phil Collins its only a good drumer, just that

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>