Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins: we decided TONIGHT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which of these better describes Phil Collins?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [30.30%]
23 [69.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 02:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by pantacruelgruel pantacruelgruel wrote:

Let's see which of the following statements infer a certain bias towards a certain era of said group Genesis, which may actually relate to a certain sect of Genesis fan
1 - Phil Collins seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back. I ask you 2 questions - Did he actually say ANYTHING to indicate this seeming ignorance ? There has been talk for many years & I've yet to read Phil's name being mentioned as not being asked to join in. He WAS the drummer, right.
& question 2 - Is it fair to ask if you are clueless to the fact that there are many fans that want to see the Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis , & would you  claim that Gabriel is clueless in this regard ?
2 - Collins has turned away from his true skill. Like he only has one. Oh wait, he only has one that YOU like or are ready to tolerate. Interesting how others appreciate other "skills" he has. But then, popularity & "pop" music in & of themselves are automatically bad, evil, & responsible for entertaining fans; not you, but then there must be people who have differing tastes from yours. I wonder if they have better things to do than regularly start or post to threads demonizing a musician that they don't like.
3 - The point that I see made a lot lately as a response to these "repetitive" threads is "ENOUGH". The rest of us get it, you don't like him; you loathe the direction that he personally dictated to Banks & Rutherford. How dare they even think to put out music that you hate. There oughta be a law against that, hanging's too good for him, blah blah
. Are you really adding anything new, or is your short term or even long term memory really that bad ? The point is not the criticism, the point is simply that it is & has been the same old rants & raves. You are aware that there are other groups, other music, other things that can be discussed or debated than the fact that Genesis' musical style changed over a career of some 25 - 30 years. Who'd a thought that possible ? Are musicians allowed to do that ?
4 - So for you rabid anti-Phils, pleeeeaaaase take note of the ever increasing posts to these self perpetuating threads that simply say, "Can we talk about something else, ANYTHING else, Please "?

I'll end with a quote from a somewhat intelligent person, name of Albert E. " Apart from the lack of agreement with reality, it is a superb intellectual performance".
Come up with something new - hey , I know; why did Genesis progressively move away from long songs to shorter songs between Trespass through to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway even though I liked them the way they were ? Why did Tony Banks' keyboard sound change during this period even though I liked the sound on Foxtrot best? Why did Peter Gabriel not keep his reverse mohawk haircut, now people don't understand when I do it? Why did they have to improve or clean up the sound production from album to album? Why do certain people get overly angry or need to endlessly & overly emotionally debate the point that THEY DON"T LIKE Phil Collins, or prefer the Gabriel era albums ? We know, sometimes we agree, we just don't see the need for endless repetition (which this post is likely becoming very guilty of , by now)

So if there are some of you for whom this sort of thing is necessary to your very life, please start your own site & argue, or rather agree with each other. Heck, see who can top who in pouring out the most inane invective, or go around in circles debating who can insult, demean or to put it in crude terms, piss on Phil the most. No one's trying to change your minds, & I haven't seen people responding en masse that these threads have done anything to change their opinions if they happened to like to Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis or not. Those who have changed their mind came to it by themselves, by listening to the music & deciding, & this is the probably the part you can't understand, but deciding by themselves what they preferred (which is likely that they want to avoid more anti Phil threads).

For those who've gotten this far, thank you. I do actually prefer most of the Gabriel albums, but I also like a few of the later albums as much; not all but some.

And to repeat a suggestion I've made before in this thread, if you have nothing better to do than repeat & restart these arguments so as to allow yourself to vent your Anti-Phil spleen, please take a walk outside, you may realize there is a REAL world out thereTongue

Bonjour les amies de mania, nous sommes fous !
Ne cherchez pas pourquoi,
Pas de chat, pas deux, nous sommes fous !
Put down a little life from a morning cosmic.

Personally I like the 4 albums that followed Gabriel leaving.

I think its true that Phil is seen 'the destroyer of Genesis/prog rock' which is obviously rediculous but nevertheless its a view that has taken hold.As I stated before I have nothing but the highest regard for him as a musician and always support a view that he was one of the best prog drummers.I also believe that without him Genesis would have given up after Lamb ..which means no Trick,WAW,ATTWT or Duke.All extremely respectable prog albums.As for the other questions ..quite frankly they are boring! I used to go on the old Genesis talking shop site and they loved talking about all that stuff. The old debate about whether Collins killed prog is always more interesting IMO Big%20smile  

Listen you cannot win them all. I blew a fuse or two on the same subject many mad moons ago. The problem is......people perceive their reality to be KING and Mr. Phillip Collins, well tough one but....get on yer bike.That is what they think.

My problem is getting over the fact that people bash someone so obviously talented even if he took another direction. So bl&%%%%dy what!!! I love his solo stuff except Testify ( drivel) and his serious hits junk ++ Tarzan. You know even my kids have grown up loving Phil Collins. And you know what...they love,like and admire Genesis too!! The fact that I buckle them up and turn up the volume in the car has absolutely nothing to do with itWink

BTW, some people enjoy taking the piss, they have too much time on their hands. Nothing wrong with that either.

Edited by Chris Stacey - February 15 2007 at 02:07
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 02:15

Of course, the rest of us could just flood the next thread of this type with stoner posts - Yeah , man, no man, I think you're right dude, I think you have erred in your remarks sir Big%20smile

Whoah man, you mean, like, that's NOT what I've already been doin'? Dude...
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 02:17
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Of course, the rest of us could just flood the next thread of this type with stoner posts - Yeah , man, no man, I think you're right dude, I think you have erred in your remarks sir Big%20smile

Dude that gives me a headache trying to imagine that, man. Slow down,man, you almost lost me, man.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 02:20
It looks like Cheech and Chong have rediscovered some new found youth...welcome back guys.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 18:08
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Dude that gives me a headache trying to imagine that, man. Slow down,man, you almost lost me, man.

Whoa people, 5-6 posts & no anti whatsisname retorts ... whatever we're trying to do seems to be , em, er, um, is that chocolate fudge brownie , man ?Wink
Results are in, & we seem to have found our weapon. Just don't use it on me OK Tongue I'm very sensitive person; very sensible, too ; sometimes Smile

So on to the next question - What ?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 02:10

The next question is, like, have you got the munchies? Cause man, I've like totally...what was I talkin' about? And do you have the munchies?

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 02:11

The next question is, like, have you got the munchies? Cause man, I've like totally...what was I talkin' about? And do you have the munchies?

Dude I totally don't have the munchies......that brownie looks good...oh man I'm starving give me that!!!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 02:13

...what ?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 02:27

Whoah, wha--? Who wants a Moon Pie?

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 12:32
So that's it, We've decided - moon pies, brownies, cheesies, with Phil footing the bill as thanks for our heroic efforts in reversing the tide. Big%20smile

"There is nothing more innately human than the tendency to transmute what has become customary into what has been divinely ordained". Suzanne Lafollette (Early 20th century American conservative journalist & author who advocated libertarian feminism in the first half of that century)

P.S. Right now, I'm listening to Split Enz " TIme for a change" ....Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234