Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPorcupine Tree - N. American Tour Details

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 22:38
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

How lucky can you guys in the UK get? - Amplifier will be the opening act for the UK shows.

Really?!  Damn, that would be nice to see Amplifier with PT!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 13:21
Check out Amplifier here: http://www.myspace.com/amplifiertheband
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 19:26
This is gonna be my 7th time seen them since 1999.!!!  They all have beebn great shows.
Every time they come to NY I go to see this essential band of the Today Prog-World.Approve
I remember the first time I saw them at the netting factory NYC to  less that 60 people !!!
Look at then Now!!!!Tongue

Edited by darksideof - March 23 2007 at 19:29
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Fight Club View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 13:13
Check this out!!

I just found this on the Porcupine Tree forum and thought I'd post it here. Some exciting news! Big%20smile

As a band PT has been around for a fair while and during that time a lot of different musical territory has been covered. For someone who has never listened to PT before, what album and/or tracks would you recommend a newcomer to listen to, to get them hooked? Especially with respect to the current material you are now playing. (Ewan Kellar)

I'm probably not the right person to ask, because I tend to always feel like the most recent work is the best, or at least it's the closest to my heart. Right now I think the new record Fear of a Blank Planet is probably our best work, along with In Absentia. And of course it depends on musical tastes - I wouldn't recommend either of these 2 albums to someone who doesn't like the more metallic approach for example. Perhaps Stupid Dream would be a good starting point in that case, or Sky Moves Sideways or Coma Divine for the more traditional progressive rock fan. Blackest Eyes is still probably the best concise introduction to the band, and maybe Anesthetize the best illustration of the more epic / ambitious side of the band.

Will the band be bringing back any 'old favourites', which have been rested in the last few years, for the upcoming tour? (James Hunter)

Actually yes, a couple of things, but I don't want to say what and spoil the surprise! Of course around half of the next show will be dedicated to the new record, so that doesn't leave us so much time to explore the back catalogue, but we are going to try to do some things we haven't played before, or at least for a while.

Are we ever going to see this proposed Wilson/Akerfeldt project? (Dom Hemy)

Yes, some material is already written, and it's just been a question of finding the time for us to get together to finish the writing and recording. I predict that 2008 could finally be the year we will do it.

Will there be any singles released from 'Fear of a Blank Planet' and if so will there be exclusive B sides? (Simon Clarke)

I can't really say for sure, but I doubt there will be any full blown commercially available single - there isn't really anything on the album I could imagine working as a 4 minute radio song (although Roadrunner are sending out an edit of the title track to radio). There are 2 other tracks from the sessions, comprising another 15 minutes of music which will see the light of day at some point. One is the "missing" track played on the tour last year, and the other is an instrumental piece with a strong Robert Fripp contribution.

Hey guys love the music! How does it feel to be on one of the worlds biggest metal record labels? (Joel Andrews)

Well, Roadrunner so far have been fantastic, but remember that their biggest international act Nickelback are far from metal, and neither are some of their other bands like Dresden Dolls, Khoma, New York Dolls.... That was why we were so impressed with them - they know how to work bands from both the metal underground and the rock mainstream.

Can't wait for FoaBP and tour! You still get called Prog rock, does this really annoy you? And how do you like PT music to be described? (Adam Small)

I never liked the idea of being a "generic" band at all, so am reluctant to embrace any description of categorisation of PT. But actually the term "prog rock" doesn't bother me as much as people think, or as much as it used to. For a long time in the 90's is seemed to have a pretty narrow definition, but over the last few years I've noticed "progressive" become a much broader term which encompasses bands as diverse as Radiohead, The Mars Volta, Flaming Lips, Opeth, Sigur Ros, and Tool, And I'm happy to be in that company!  

What was the most challenging part of recording and mixing the album ? (Phoebe Rudd)

Keeping it short! I really wanted this album to be concise and to the point, and 50 minutes maximum, but we did have other strong material, so it was tempting to make another one hour plus marathon. But having heard the final record back a few times now, I know it was the right decision. It's pretty intense.

The new album, 'Fear of a Blank Planet', is it more in line with the progressive/experimental rock you produced earlier in your carriers or is it more in line with the more recent 'Deadwing' and 'In Absentia' albums? (David Henderson)

I'm not sure I can answer the question, because In Absentia and Deadwing to my mind are more genuinely progressive / experimental records than many we made in the early years. In the early days PT music tended to be actually very simple - usually just 2 or 3 ideas stretched out over long periods of time with guitar solos and ambient sections (Voyage 34 and The Sky Moves Sideways being good examples of that approach). Now, a similar duration piece like Anesthetize has many times more content, and develops new ideas and elements at a much faster pace, with a lot more vertical complexity. I'm not saying that's better, and I'm still proud of the early records. Actually now I think about it in many respects the very first album On the Sunday of Life... is probably the most "experimental" record ever released by PT. One thing for sure - I have no interest in going back and revisiting things that have already been covered in the band's past.

Hey guys! Can't wait for the album!! My question is, what band or artist was your biggest inspiration to get into music? (James Quinn)

For me it was Jeff Lynne and the Electric Light Orchestra ? Out of the Blue was that record that made me say to myself "one day I'm going to hold something like this in my hands and know that I made it!" Also 2 things I heard when I was very young that really inspired me were 2 records my parents owned - Dark Side of the Moon, and Donna Summer's Love to Love You Baby.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 19:07
Anyone know or have any idea who might be touring N. America with Porcupine Tree??
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 13:18
It seems some band called 3 is opening for the US tour.

Never heard them, but they aren't getting positive remarks on the PT forum...
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 13:27
3? that Coheed and Cambria related one?

Good for you!Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 15:03
You heard them? Any good? I want know how they got involved with PT, that doesn't really seem like someone they'd be involved with. I was expecting an opener more along the lines of Oceansize.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 19:28
Damn, no date in Pittsburgh, as of yet anyway.

So 3 is opening for them?  I've seem them live actually, they opened for Dillinger Escape Plan, but that has nothing to do with what they sound like.  they play pretty good high-energy prog-esque melodic rock, but I hesitate to call them a prog band.  Should be a good show, though.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 19:47
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Damn, no date in Pittsburgh, as of yet anyway.

So 3 is opening for them?  I've seem them live actually, they opened for Dillinger Escape Plan, but that has nothing to do with what they sound like.  they play pretty good high-energy prog-esque melodic rock, but I hesitate to call them a prog band.  Should be a good show, though.

Oo that makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for that  Smile
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 22:42
Just got my ticket for the show at the Electric Factory!!  ClapClapClapClapClap
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:20
I just got tickets for myself, my brother, and my friend for the Philadelphia show!  I'm really excited! Big%20smile

Edit: Now both of my brothers are coming!

Edited by darkmatter - May 07 2007 at 10:54
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 14:46
^^^

See you there! Approve
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:53
^
I believe I'm going too. I was gonna buy tickets this week. See you both there.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - May 08 2007 at 10:53
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 11:02
Anyone going to the Montreal gig on May 26th ?  If so, please note the gig has been relocated from the Spectrum to the Metropolis.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 17:59
I'm going to NYC show tomorrow! I'm so psyched, this is gonna be the greatest show I've ever gone to. God I hope they play Arriving Somewhere!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 18:05
Originally posted by Fight Club Fight Club wrote:

I'm going to NYC show tomorrow! I'm so psyched, this is gonna be the greatest show I've ever gone to. God I hope they play Arriving Somewhere!

......oh dear......Cry
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 18:15
Anyone else here besides me seeing them in Baltimore seeing them at the Ram's Head on the 22nd?

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 20:07
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

......oh dear......Cry

What's wrong? Besides the fact that I'm sick and that makes me extremely angry...
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 20:09

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

......oh dear......Cry

What's wrong? Besides the fact that I'm sick and that makes me extremely angry...

Tony has already seen them on this tour,maybe he said that because Arriving Somewhere isn't on the setlist.

And I hope you feel better FC.Hug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>