Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbacab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What's the best Abacab track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [22.22%]
2 [5.56%]
3 [8.33%]
2 [5.56%]
17 [47.22%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abacab
    Posted: March 17 2007 at 05:57
Greetings from a nicely decorated bomb shelter. It's a calm saturday morning in Belgium. The weather forecast predict snow storms in our country on monday. But that's nothing compared to the storm that I expect to appear in this thread  . You've seen it in the title: I thought it was time to talk about that wonder of '80's prog, that album full of delight, that album where Genesis proved themself to be truly progressive once again. Ladies and gentleman... meet Abacab!

So... what's your favourite track? I split Dodo and Lurker, because maybe people would like Dodo more if there was no Lurker. Nice little animal though.

I'm gonna hide in my shell again... Shelter... A bit of a coward, I admit, afraid for the openly hostile reactions. Whoa, there they are, the screaming Abdabs, the Anti-Abacabs Nuke, gotta go.......
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 06:34
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Greetings from a nicely decorated bomb shelter. It's a calm saturday morning in Belgium. The weather forecast predict snow storms in our country on monday. But that's nothing compared to the storm that I expect to appear in this thread  . You've seen it in the title: I thought it was time to talk about that wonder of '80's prog, that album full of delight, that album where Genesis proved themself to be truly progressive once again. Ladies and gentleman... meet Abacab!

So... what's your favourite track? I split Dodo and Lurker, because maybe people would like Dodo more if there was no Lurker. Nice little animal though.

I'm gonna hide in my shell again... Shelter... A bit of a coward, I admit, afraid for the openly hostile reactions. Whoa, there they are, the screaming Abdabs, the Anti-Abacabs Nuke, gotta go.......

No negativity from me Smile; i went with Me and Sarah Jane. You shouldn't have split Dodo/Lurker, that song is great like it is. I would've voted for it.

What I cannot understand with Abacab is how they put the crappiest song ever there (Who Dunnit) and have Submarine as a B-side song for one the singles. I mean why didn't they put Submarine on the album instead of Who Dunnit. Submarine at least is a good song (I lile it a lot Big%20smile);if we Genesis listeners/fans were/are meant to take Who Dunnit as a joke, then this is the worst joke ever!
rocknrobin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 06:37
this is a trick question, there aren't any good songs on abacab, so its impossible to pick a favorite ???
rock'n robin
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 08:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No negativity from me Smile; i went with Me and Sarah Jane. You shouldn't have split Dodo/Lurker, that song is great like it is. I would've voted for it.

What I cannot understand with Abacab is how they put the crappiest song ever there (Who Dunnit) and have Submarine as a B-side song for one the singles. I mean why didn't they put Submarine on the album instead of Who Dunnit. Submarine at least is a good song (I lile it a lot Big%20smile);if we Genesis listeners/fans were/are meant to take Who Dunnit as a joke, then this is the worst joke ever!

I feel sorry about the Dodo / Lurker split already. Cry I'm guilty of progressive manipulation / modification.

Who Dunnit crappy? Granted, I think they made it as a joke, like The Lurker, so it's quite tongue-in-cheek (Tony Banks was wearing a snorkel on stage when he played it: that says something), but I think it's totally original and I like it a lot!

Submarine: I totally agree! Glad to have it in digital form now (Genesis Archives Volume 2). Clap 

Edited by Moogtron III - March 17 2007 at 08:22
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 08:28
Originally posted by rocknrobin rocknrobin wrote:

this is a trick question, there aren't any good songs on abacab, so its impossible to pick a favorite ???

Sounds like this kind of logic:

Maior: Its impossible to pick a favourite on an album which has no good songs
Minor: There is no good song on Abacab
Conclusion: I can't pick a good song on Abacab.

It's the minor that isn't right: there are lots of good songs on Abacab Smile

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 08:35
I'm guilty of the same thing on the Clutching At Straws thread by splitting up "Warm Wet Circles" and "That Time Of The Night", so I can't fault you because I see your logic. Then again, logic has never been a strong trait of mine.

I love the "Dodo/Lurker" combo a lot and probably one of my favorite Genesis songs. Period.

As for the album, I think it was the very first one I bought back when I was a kid after seeing "Abacab" on MTV (The VERY first video I ever saw on MTV, come to think of it.) As much as I love the album, I have to side with Cristi in why they put "Who Dunnit" on there. I have to skip that song every time.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 08:53
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I'm guilty of the same thing on the Clutching At Straws thread by splitting up "Warm Wet Circles" and "That Time Of The Night", so I can't fault you because I see your logic. Then again, logic has never been a strong trait of mine.

I love the "Dodo/Lurker" combo a lot and probably one of my favorite Genesis songs. Period.

As for the album, I think it was the very first one I bought back when I was a kid after seeing "Abacab" on MTV (The VERY first video I ever saw on MTV, come to think of it.) As much as I love the album, I have to side with Cristi in why they put "Who Dunnit" on there. I have to skip that song every time.

E

For me it was also the Abacab video which put me on the Genesis track.

And logic and music, they don't always mix very well, do they? LOL
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 08:59
Nope! I try to explain it to my wife whenever she spots all of my prog purchases in the bank statement, but it doesn't keep her from furling her brow at me.

One of the dark horses from Abacab that I like is "Keep It Dark". Has sort of a warped LP sound to it, but I love the chorus. Always enjoyed "Man On The Corner", too.

E
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 09:02
Yeah, no need to split Dodo/Lurker IMO. Lurker is a bit silly but it ends quite triumphantly, with plenty of symphonic credentials. It gets my vote, but only just.

Me & Sarah Jane is an excellt track too, and is a good example of what post Duke Genesis could have been like. Despite the drum machine, Banks built a constantly changing and very emotional piece of music around that simple beat. It was a true and effective blend of old and new Genesis.

Shame the rest of the album is a steaming crock of horse sh!t, but there you go.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 09:15
Who Dunnit? gets no respect.  It's very weird and off the wall, and that's why I like it.  Beats the hell out Misunderstanding from Duke.  Sounds like Phil is singing Was it you or was it me or was it XTC.  And weknow weknow weknow Eno.

I liked this album when it came out.  It was a bit of different direction for the band.  I started to lose interest in Genesis with the Mama album, which I never bought.  My last LP would be Invisible touch.  I did get the CD for Calling All Stations recently, because it was available dirt cheap.  I suppose one day I will have to complete my CD collection with the Mama album, Invisible Touch, and that other one from the '80's I've never heard.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 17 2007 at 09:19
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 10:34
Abacab is a controversial album, and imho is arguably the patchiest, least consistent album they've ever recorded. That doesn't mean it's their worst, though, there are a few gems. The title track, Dodo/Lurker, Like It Or Not, Keep It Dark and Me and Sarah Jane all stand up, but almost all of them sound better in live versions. However, 'Dodo' gets my vote here.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 10:36
So many good songs to choose from.

I normally vote for the sublime Abacab, but this time I'll go with Whodunnuit?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 10:38
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

One of the dark horses from Abacab that I like is "Keep It Dark". Has sort of a warped LP sound to it, but I love the chorus. Always enjoyed "Man On The Corner", too.

E

Did you know that Genesis themselves consider Keep It Dark their best song on the album? Also one of my favourites, together with "Man On The Corner"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 10:42
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Me & Sarah Jane is an excellt track too, and is a good example of what post Duke Genesis could have been like. Despite the drum machine, Banks built a constantly changing and very emotional piece of music around that simple beat. It was a true and effective blend of old and new Genesis.

Agreed! Me & Sarah Jane proved that there was room for a progressive '80's Genesis.

As for the drum machine: Genesis was one of the few bands that could make a good use of it, on Me & Sarah Jane but also with Duchess on the Duke-album. But I do think it's a pity that Collins didn't do so much of his sensational drumming anymore through the years Cry
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 10:46
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Who Dunnit? gets no respect.  It's very weird and off the wall, and that's why I like it.  Beats the hell out Misunderstanding from Duke.  Sounds like Phil is singing Was it you or was it me or was it XTC.  And weknow weknow weknow Eno.

I liked this album when it came out.  It was a bit of different direction for the band.  I started to lose interest in Genesis with the Mama album, which I never bought.  My last LP would be Invisible touch.  I did get the CD for Calling All Stations recently, because it was available dirt cheap.  I suppose one day I will have to complete my CD collection with the Mama album, Invisible Touch, and that other one from the '80's I've never heard.

Yes, it's as if people can't accept a Genesis which isn't 100% serious all the time. Whodunnit has its charms.

I personally also like the post-Abacab albums to a certain extent, though I don't find them as good as the older stuff, Abacab included. Still, I like to listen them every now and then.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 10:48
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Abacab is a controversial album, and imho is arguably the patchiest, least consistent album they've ever recorded. That doesn't mean it's their worst, though, there are a few gems. The title track, Dodo/Lurker, Like It Or Not, Keep It Dark and Me and Sarah Jane all stand up, but almost all of them sound better in live versions. However, 'Dodo' gets my vote here.

Personally, I do think they have a sort of unified sound on the album, but on the other hand, the songs are all very different, I agree. It's more fragmentary than most of their other albums. I do wonder how that comes.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 10:54
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

So many good songs to choose from.

I normally vote for the sublime Abacab, but this time I'll go with Whodunnuit?

Okay, it's time to speak out for myself. I like all of the songs of the album. In terms of composition, I think Abacab, Me And Sarah Jane and Keep It Dark are the best songs.

But apart from that, believe it or not, I have a soft spot for the last three songs on the album: Man On The Corner, Like It Or Not and Put Another Record On. They have a sort of intimacy and melancholical feel that is typical for late seventies, early eighties Genesis.

But like you, Snow, I'll go this time with one of the most underrated Genesis songs: Whodunnit! Clap
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 11:15
   Three votes for Who Dunnit. I don't get it.Confused
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 12:23

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Agreed! Me & Sarah Jane proved that there was room for a progressive '80's Genesis.

As for the drum machine: Genesis was one of the few bands that could make a good use of it, on Me & Sarah Jane but also with Duchess on the Duke-album. But I do think it's a pity that Collins didn't do so much of his sensational drumming anymore through the years Cry

Yeah Duchess is a great song too; simple but full of feeling. Genesis were one of few prog bands who could write simple songs that 'worked' alongside their more complex offerings. 'Afterglow' and 'Undertow' spring to mind, as do 'Timetable' and 'Chamber of 32 Doors'

The drum machine was originally just a 'writing tool' that Banks was keen on using, but with all the new wave stuff going on around them, and the increased use of electronics in pop they thought it a good idea to include it in some songs. In all fairness they didn't use it excessively, and it works very well on Mama. This track seems to divide people, but I like it's cold, atmospheric simplicity. It was in the charts at about the same time that I first heard 'Dance on a Volcano' on the Radio 1 Friday rock show. I was hooked on Genesis from that point, but only really got to grips with a few of their 80's songs.

I agree about Phils drumming taking a nosedive after Duke. Tragic! When you listen to his performances on Los Endos, In that Quiet Earth, Dukes End etc, it seems unbelievable he would want to simplify things to the extent that he did. It wasn't just style it was his distinctive sound too. Using synth drums on Invisible ouch was a bad move. It was a homogenised drum sound, and could have been anyone playing. Oh well, at least we have all those brilliant albums recorded between 1970 and 1980 to indulge in..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 17:03
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Three votes for Who Dunnit. I don't get it.Confused

It's like with olives. You either love them or hate them. No middle ground Wink

Edited by Moogtron III - March 17 2007 at 17:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>