Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Decemberists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Do the Decemberists Belong here?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [57.14%]
10 [28.57%]
5 [14.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Decemberists
    Posted: April 07 2007 at 17:35
In keeping with the guidelines for band recommendations, here is the relevent information:

the Decemberists

The Decemberists are a five-person band hailing from Portland, Oregon and currently signed to the Capitol Records label. While often referred to as an indie band, they have evolved over their seven years of existence to a group that delivers passionate, ambitious, and sophisticated rock music that both incorporates and transcends a number of styles and apparent influences. The band has established a reputation for eclectic and wildly unconventional arrangements, lively and interactive live shows, and unusual lyrical themes that sometimes border on the bizarre.

Why they belong on ProgArchives:

We define prog rock here at the Archives as an “ambitious, eclectic, and often grandiose style of rock music”. If that description doesn’t fit this band, then none does. The Decemberists embrace the continuum of our collective history in their character vignettes; intricate narratives whose range seems to know no bounds; and musical sensibilities sophisticated enough to meld the classical tone of violin with the raucous raunch of accordion into cohesive and adventurous musical adventures, all while keeping at the front of their focus the need to entertain in a thought-provoking manner.

Biography

The band’s first released was an EP on a vanity label in 2001 entitled ‘5 Songs’, which included tracks about a Chinese trapeze artist; and ode to a nature park; and a tribute to a grocery store. This was followed by their first full length album ‘Castaways and Cutouts’, which included the song “Odalisque” about a virgin women serving as a slave in ancient times; a hymn to a famous San Francisco Protestant cathedral; and a story-song about the Leslie Anne Levine, the name of a once-famous dirigible but also a haunting tale of a doomed young girl that is reminiscent of the Violent Femmes “Country Death Song”, as well as a daydreaming tale about a young man dreaming about a career as an architect.

Their next album (‘Her Majesty the Decemberists’) began a gravitation toward nautical themes that continues to this day, and that probably was influenced by the band’s settling in the coastal town of Portland, Oregon. In addition to what were by now becoming almost obligatory odd character sketches such as the story of a chimney sweep; a wedding couple; gymnast; and a soldier; were a number of historical tales centered around the American poet Myla Goldberg and the British frigate HMS Arethusa. This album also included band leader Colin Meloy’s passionate life-affirmation “I Was Meant for the Stage”, an eclectic and haphazard anthem in the spirit of Freddie Mercury’s “Who Wants to Live Forever”.

The band progressed the character sketch, historical references, and nautical themes with a more expansive instrument lineup and several longer, more musically developed works on their 2005 album ‘Picaresque, which also included a bonus EP featuring the Joanna Newsom cover “Bridges and Balloons” and a disjointed and delightful ditty entitled “Constantinople”. The band showed novel enterprise and a wry sense of independent defiance with this release by issuing a track video which was distributed solely via the file-sharing service bitTorrent.

Amid a number of other single and EP releases over the past couple of years, the band scored their most ambitious and commercially successful release to-date with the thematic ‘the Crane Wife’ in 2006, an album that earned them not only significant critical acclaim, but also the award for fan-favorite of the year for 2006 on American National Public Radio. 2007 saw the release of the band’s first full-length DVD, “The Decemberists: A Practical Handbook”, which includes an entire home-town concert, several video and animation tracks, and a lengthy interview with the band’s members.

The band’s music belies at times the more discordant and ambitious jazzy side of King Crimson (albeit in a more modern setting); the irreverent cheekiness of the Violent Femmes; instrumentation that encompasses a range of folk greats from Woody Guthrie to Third Ear Band; the vocal and lyrical sensibilities of R.E.M. and Canadian folk storytellers like Gordon Lightfoot and Neal Young; and a stage presence that would have made Queen proud.

Prog genre: Art Rock or Prog Folk or RIO/Avant

Band Photo:

Official web site: Official web site

Discography

2001 5 Songs EP
2003 Castaways and Cutouts
2003 Her Majesty the Decemberists
2005 The Tain EP
2005 Picaresque
2006 Picaresqueties EP
2006 The Crane Wife
2007 Live from SoHo EP
2007 The Decemberists: A Practical Handbook (DVD)

What do you say?
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 17:38
I'm no a fan of the Decemberists, but I agree they are a case for Prog Folk..

Their Prog approach vcan't bediscussed, I used to think they didn't belong here, but despite I don't like them, I believe they deserve to be added.

BTW: Can't vote don't know why a box with a message "You have already votted appears"

It has happened me twice toiday, so there must be a bug, anyway, count my vote as a YES.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 07 2007 at 17:41

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 21:56
YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!!!!
I fail to see why they aren't here already. The Crane Wife is a full blown prog album. They are extremely progressive in their approach to music, their storybook grandoise lyrics, and the style they play in. This band has run the scope of progressive music from the phenomonal symphonic song "The Island" to the Crimson-esque freak-out of "I Was Meant for the Stage." This band constantly pushes the boundaries of their original genre and makes it something much more special and progressive. And this has been growing with time. I can't wait to hear what they put out next!
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 21:59
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

I fail to see why they aren't here already. The Crane Wife is a full blown prog album. They are extremely progressive in their approach to music, their storybook grandoise lyrics, and the style they play in. This band has run the scope of progressive music from the phenomonal symphonic song "The Island" to the Crimson-esque freak-out of "I Was Meant for the Stage." This band constantly pushes the boundaries of their original genre and makes it something much more special and progressive. And this has been growing with time. I can't wait to hear what they put out next!

Obviously I agree. I just bought their DVD this week and that convinced me. I was on the fence before. One of my sons told me I was being too much of a purist and that if we failed to embrace the newer progressive bands here, then we run the risk of becoming an irrelevent source as a progressive archive.

BTW, "I Was Meant for the Stage" on the DVD is the one that convinced me .
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 22:02
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Obviously I agree. I just bought their DVD this week and that convinced me. I was on the fence before. One of my sons told me I was being too much of a purist and that if we failed to embrace the newer progressive bands here, then we run the risk of becoming an irrelevent source as a progressive archive.

BTW, "I Was Meant for the Stage" on the DVD is the one that convinced me .
It totally floored me the first time I heard it (well, on the record). From the beginning it seemed to be a long song with a continuous repeating melody, but by the end I was doubting this was the same band. I love that song and that whole album. Clap

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 22:03
good post Bob.....  Raff and I when we were in the states read a write up on them in a prog magazine and were both interested.  Still haven't heard anything by them though....but they seem to have the credentials. 

count me as a yes ... 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 22:12
The Crane Wife has pushed them squarely into prog territory as far as I'm concerned... yes from me.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 23:45
The Crane Wife is a prog album to my ears....I wouldn't say RIO/Avant though.....Prog Folk fits like a glove Tongue

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 23:58
I remember seeing the Colbert Report and listening to one critic calling them an art rock band. I was pretty confused at first, but then I felt intrigued. I'm looking forward to listening to The Crane Wife.

Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 00:02
haha
I actually just got The Crane Wife.  It's prog-folk, but somewhat reminiscent of early Fleetwood Mac. 

Very good, addictive.   A girl at lunch also HIGHLY reccomended their ep The Tain. 
It's an 18 minute piece based on scottish (?) mythology.  She's burning it for me.

Wh'ghal ng'fth mglw'y Ry'leh, Cthulhu fhtagn...

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 03:21
A definite yes.  I was previously familiar with Picaresque and The Tain, two solid and creative folk-pop records, and prepared to make some sort of scathing remark in this thread for them even being suggested.  But after reading all the praise for The Crane Wife, I decided to give it a listen, and this album is amazing and proggy!  It also gives me another context to listen to the older stuff in. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 03:24
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

A definite yes.  I was previously familiar with Picaresque and The Tain, two solid and creative folk-pop records, and prepared to make some sort of scathing remark in this thread for them even being suggested.  But after reading all the praise for The Crane Wife, I decided to give it a listen, and this album is amazing and proggy!  It also gives me another context to listen to the older stuff in. 

all the praise sold us....  we'll get The Crane Wife this week. Saw it in a store here.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 03:32
Downloaded 'The Crane Wife' the other day. Worthy of admission into PAs IMHO

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 03:36
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Downloaded 'The Crane Wife' the other day. Worthy of admission into PAs IMHO

I'd say add them .... Big%20smile
Unix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 03:40
Agreed.  The Crane Wife was the album that got me hooked on them... Definately a yes from me Thumbs%20Up

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 05:30
OK, I'll have to check them out again. I've heard a bit of "Picaresque," but thought it was just very well done indie rock.
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 05:31
Gets a deserved thumbs up from moi. Thumbs%20Up
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 15:07
Yes, they would fit well in Prog Related. 
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 17:42
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I remember seeing the Colbert Report and listening to one critic calling them an art rock band. I was pretty confused at first, but then I felt intrigued. I'm looking forward to listening to The Crane Wife.

I seem to recall the critic on Colbert calling them something like "hyper-literate prog-rockers".

Decembrists get a yes from me.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 21:01
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I seem to recall the critic on Colbert calling them something like "hyper-literate prog-rockers".

Decembrists get a yes from me.
I definately recall that because it was in my sig when I heard it. It only stayed for about a week, but still. Wink
I still say yes!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>