This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tylosand Ektorp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Le Orme Vs ELP
    Posted: December 21 2007 at 17:22
ELP had four good studio albums and a great live album and almost everything after 1974 was pure unmitigated crap. Le Orme has a lot more than four good albums though their best wasn't quite as good as ELP's best. But they beat ELP in overall quality. And as an added bonus you didn't have to put up with Pete Sinfield's atrocious lyrics.
Those who know history are doomed to talk about it.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 15:49
^^ Aight, aight, just wondering. I didn't want to be sl*ggin' off on a band that deserved better. It's no hassle for me to "get my hands" *cough... Limewire, ehem* on music, so I'll give them another listen anyway.

Edited by King Crimson776 - December 16 2007 at 15:53
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 08:12
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

My friend played this mix CD for me a while ago with some PFM, Banco and Le Orme. PFM is great, Banco is good, Le Orme was just ok, no offense, I just thought it was ridiculous that they were ahead of ELP. I'll try to get my hands on some of their stuff if you're saying they're really good. I clicked on those free MP3s recently, are those accurate representations or do they have way better stuff than that?

none taken... christ...  you don't have to like everything hahahhah

honestly.. chalk up Orme as one you probably may not like. Those samples are great songs off two of their best.  If those didn't grab you.. you probably won't get into them. No shame in that, you can't like them all...   at least you like ELP.. so you aren't a waste of prog airspace LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 04:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ELP because they made good music
not
that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the
comparative logic...sucks...and what did  Le Orme make? 

I heard some of Le Orme's stuff, I don't think they're very good.
Le Orme was way ahead of ELP when I posted that and I was like wtf. But
yeah, they don't make bad music and I shouldn't have insinuated that,
they're just rather boring. I really meant that compared to ELP, Le
Orme don't make good music.

brother... they do... do you remember what you did hear.. what exactly
you did hear from Le Orme.  Trust me.. having been lucky enough to
see them live and meet them along with the RPI team here..  great
group.. great music.

My friend played this mix CD for me a while ago with some PFM, Banco and Le Orme. PFM is great, Banco is good, Le Orme was just ok, no offense, I just thought it was ridiculous that they were ahead of ELP. I'll try to get my hands on some of their stuff if you're saying they're really good. I clicked on those free MP3s recently, are those accurate representations or do they have way better stuff than that?

Edited by King Crimson776 - December 16 2007 at 04:02
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 22:36

not that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the comparative logic...sucks...and what did  Le Orme make? 

I heard some of Le Orme's stuff, I don't think they're very good. Le Orme was way ahead of ELP when I posted that and I was like wtf. But yeah, they don't make bad music and I shouldn't have insinuated that, they're just rather boring. I really meant that compared to ELP, Le Orme don't make good music.

brother... they do... do you remember what you did hear.. what exactly you did hear from Le Orme.  Trust me.. having been lucky enough to see them live and meet them along with the RPI team here..  great group.. great music.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 17:23

not that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the comparative logic...sucks...and what did  Le Orme make? 

I heard some of Le Orme's stuff, I don't think they're very good. Le Orme was way ahead of ELP when I posted that and I was like wtf. But yeah, they don't make bad music and I shouldn't have insinuated that, they're just rather boring. I really meant that compared to ELP, Le Orme don't make good music.

Edited by King Crimson776 - December 15 2007 at 17:28
Nash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 11:03
ELP, no doubt, pure energy

Edited by Nash - December 15 2007 at 11:04

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 04:39
Well, I got to know Le Orme before ELP, since (as I said in another thread) Italian prog got a lot of exposure on Italian radio in the early Seventies. However, as good as Le Orme were, and still are (we saw them live last spring, and they smoked!), ELP are simply one of my favourite bands. As Micky said, when they were good, they were nothing short of phenomenal.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 23:35
Originally posted by profanatio profanatio wrote:

Would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of people (Not all!) voting for Le Orme are under the age of 30 while most (not all) of those voting for ELP are over 30?

probably.....  I know there are lots of blue haired ELP haters here LOL  Age determines nothing there hahah
profanatio View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 23:30
Would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of people (Not all!) voting for Le Orme are under the age of 30 while most (not all) of those voting for ELP are over 30?
Mike
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 23:15
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

not that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the comparative logic...sucks...

and what did  Le Orme make?  umm...better music? yea, that's it.

much as I love ELP...  they were wildly inconsistent... ELP at their best... sh*t... there wasn't another contemporary band that could match them... at their worst...  you'd be grabbing for the latest Bab's release.

Orme was much more consistant.. never hitting the lows ELP did.  but never the heights ELP did.  Not surprised they are ahead... even with the venom ELP tends to inspire.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 02:05

500 years from now if we still exist and there are CD stores to buy music at, ELP will be on the shelves but I doubt if Le Orme will. It all comes down to songwriting. ELP were superiour songwriters and no one could touch them as far as virtuosity goes. Love em or hate em there is no denying that Keith Emerson is the consumate prog rock keyboard player. The second best is a FAR second best to him due to his overwhelming vesatility. Rock, jazz, classical, ragtime, boogie woogie... the guy can do it all and single handedly forged the way for generations of keyboard players in a way that no one else ever came close to. Yes he is generally known as bombastic but lets not forget that he has written some incredibly subtle and beautiful music as well.

500 years from now, when you plug your brain into the Worldnet and google "Music that could have saved our civilization"  you will have a decent selection of Le Orme albums available to you.   ELP will be represented by Brain Salad Surgery and a box set.  The entire Yes discography will be also be available (although Open Your Eyes will not have been accessed for at least 50 years.)

When you google "music that destroyed our civilization,"  you will get back text bios of Brittany Spears and Kayne West.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 23:01

not that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the comparative logic...sucks...

and what did  Le Orme make?  umm...better music? yea, that's it.
Signature Writers Guild on strike
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 23:00
Originally posted by paolo.beenees paolo.beenees wrote:

I've seen several translations and our Italian friends reassure me that Aldo was one of the best lyricists on the scene back in the day.

Yes, they used to have great lyrics... surprisingly the keyboard man, Toni Pagliuca, was the lyricist!
woa really?Embarrassed....Aldo sings them so well, I must have assumed that he wrote them, thanks for correcting meSmile
Signature Writers Guild on strike
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 21:00

and what did  Le Orme make? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 17:43

Edited by King Crimson776 - December 13 2007 at 17:43
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:47

I've seen several translations and our Italian friends reassure me that Aldo was one of the best lyricists on the scene back in the day.

Yes, they used to have great lyrics... surprisingly the keyboard man, Toni Pagliuca, was the lyricist!
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:45

500 years from now if we still exist and there are CD stores to buy music at, ELP will be on the shelves but I doubt if Le Orme will. 

Honestly: until the 1920s nobody knew who Antonio Vivaldi was and Benedetto Marcello was the real Venetian classical music star; then somebody rediscovered the Four Seasons and nowadays the situation is totally different. The same thing happened in the XIX century with Bach: most people used to think that the real important Bach was Carl Philipp Emanuel, then Mendelssohn Bartholdy came and discovered who the real genius was... Maybe the comparison is a little pretentious, but it gives you the idea of how tables may turn...
Okocha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:17
ELP
profanatio View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 03:49
500 years from now if we still exist and there are CD stores to buy music at, ELP will be on the shelves but I doubt if Le Orme will. It all comes down to songwriting. ELP were superiour songwriters and no one could touch them as far as virtuosity goes. Love em or hate em there is no denying that Keith Emerson is the consumate prog rock keyboard player. The second best is a FAR second best to him due to his overwhelming vesatility. Rock, jazz, classical, ragtime, boogie woogie... the guy can do it all and single handedly forged the way for generations of keyboard players in a way that no one else ever came close to. Yes he is generally known as bombastic but lets not forget that he has written some incredibly subtle and beautiful music as well.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>