Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPure Reason Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:14
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

I get to see them at NEARFest, so I'll see if they're any better live

Do you know if there are any more tickets available?  Robby and I want to go, but we missed the initial sales Cry

It's sold out, but look for people selling their tickets in other forums (PE for instance) or here:

Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:14
I'm glad I'm not alone - I listened to PRR back when there was a ton of hype for them going around here, and I completely agree with you MO. It's not bad by any means, but I can't see where all the recognition and high praise is coming from.
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:22
I saw them live in February, opening for Blackfield. I didn't quite think they managed to reproduce the mesmerizing quality present on record, but they put up a nice show. Only four people, playing against a background of electronic layers that drove the songs ahead, three of them doing vocals while playing guitars and keys and striving to switch between samples - quite fun to watch. The playing was a bit sloppy, but they seemed to put a lot of soul into it. I talked to them after the show for about fifteen minutes and they were extremely communicative and funny, I had some serious laughs. I'm glad they're going to play NEARFest - this should help them gain a larger fanbase among them elitist proggers. Smile

Edited by Uroboros - May 07 2007 at 16:22
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:22
Yeah, I listened to the sample on this site, and I thought there were some OK harmonies, but I wasn't interested enough to listen to them again.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:28
Pure Reason Revolution, hmmmm..... I started with Cautionary Tales,  which wasn't too bad, but not really special. I tried Dark Third later on, but I have a hard time finishing the album. It's somehow all to similar, and not very exciting to my ears. Guess we're not alone on this, ManOverboard, given the reactions in this thread.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:30

They are, they give more energy and life to the songs when performed live IMO.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:34
I got the Dark Third before the hype, after listening to The Intention Craft on the Bruce Dickinson Show, and disliked it the first time I heard. I didn't get it at the first couple of listens. Confused

Long story short, it's now one of my favorite albums of the millenium, along with Deadwing and The Last Bright Light.  Thumbs%20Up
Bigger on the inside.
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:47
I like The Dark Third a lot actually. It's funny cause I usually never enjoy modern prog that much. Like Stonie said, I didn't see any similarities with PT and I think the band sounds unique. The vocal harmonies are excellent.

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:50
Saw them live the other day at the Tiana prog fest. Sure they do something above average (which is kind of magic these days), especially the vocal pastiches are kinda new and there's a lot of intelligent grooves in their music, but I feel these guys are waaaaaay overestimated! they may grow though. I'll buy the next Cd and then decide. And the girl is reaaaaaaallllllllly cute Wink
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:53
I reviewed the album for Ink 19, and online music newspaper. It gave them an overall good review. They have a lot of talent and i'm excited about hearing their future releases.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:57

Do you know if there are any more tickets available?  Robby and I want to go, but we missed the initial sales Cry

MO go here to check on people selling tickets:

edit: Oops sorry it was already posted.Embarrassed

Edited by Garion81 - May 07 2007 at 16:58

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 17:26
At first listen I wasn't interested on them but later their album grew on me and now I really enjoy it. The may have some Porcupine Tree influences but still they are one of the most original and unique bands of the 00's.
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 17:29
Am I the only one that got totally blown away by The Dark Third? That albums is incredible! The vocal harmonies pwn everything and anyone. So do the incredibly refreshing melodies.Clap

Probably my fav 2006 album Approve
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 17:41
^ The vocal harmonies are ... nice. But IMO there are far better albums in that regard, and a bit repetitive (listen to the album too often and you'll develop an allergic reaction to the word "embassedor"Wink).

BTW: I'd rate The Dark Third 4 stars (3,5 stars really, but as you all know there are no half stars here).
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:06
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ The vocal harmonies are ... nice. But IMO there are far better albums in that regard, and a bit repetitive (listen to the album too often and you'll develop an allergic reaction to the word "embassedor"Wink).

BTW: I'd rate The Dark Third 4 stars (3,5 stars really, but as you all know there are no half stars here).

Listened to it countless times, never got bored.

"The Million Bright Ambassadors... of mo-o-orniing!" Tongue
Bigger on the inside.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:27
Originally posted by Ed_The_Dead Ed_The_Dead wrote:

Am I the only one that got totally blown away by The Dark Third? That albums is incredible! The vocal harmonies pwn everything and anyone. So do the incredibly refreshing melodies.Clap

I had that thought too when I first heard it, but now it's a excellent album (not mind blowing though).

I really like the album and even though it may not be as "prog" as some people may expect, it's still a wonderful album. I think that many people had problem liking them because of the hype (of course, others just don't plain like it), but aside from that it's a wonderful album.  I'd give it a 4 or 3.5 stars.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:36
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I had that thought too when I first heard it, but now it's a excellent album (not mind blowing though).

I really like the album and even though it may not be as "prog" as some people may expect, it's still a wonderful album. I think that many people had problem liking them because of the hype (of course, others just don't plain like it), but aside from that it's a wonderful album.  I'd give it a 4 or 3.5 stars.

I don't care how "Prog" it is. Just find it quite dull. Two StarStar stars from me.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:44
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I don't care how "Prog" it is. Just find it quite dull. Two StarStar stars from me.

That's what I said in the words inside the parenthesis. Some people feel its over hyped and others just don't like it.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:49

well... I just did a search, and I didn't find any left; I think they sold out a month or two ago.  Keep an eye out though, some people may look to sell their tickets if they can't attend

I'll be there too.

As for PRR, I like them quite a bit. I wouldn't call them the saviors of prog, but it's a darn fine album. It was in my top five for 2006.

However, Gazpacho bored me to tears.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 19:24

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

That's what I said in the words inside the parenthesis. Some people feel its over hyped and others just don't like it.

I know...I was showing you which one I was.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>