Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleepytime Gorilla Museum - In glorious times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 07:48
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Have you noticed that in the first song Nils and Carla sing in spanish one part? Talk about goosebumps! Whats up with that... did they thought that its quite cool that the MArs Volta is doing it, so they discided to do it too?... mmm maybe, either way, its awesome

and the last 5 songs... who else here things they make one big epic?

If you respected these artists you wouldn't talk about a leaked album until it is released ...
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 17:48
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Have you noticed that in the first song Nils and Carla sing in spanish one part? Talk about goosebumps! Whats up with that... did they thought that its quite cool that the MArs Volta is doing it, so they discided to do it too?... mmm maybe, either way, its awesome

If you respected these artists you wouldn't talk about a leaked album until it is released ...

First of all, I didnt know it was leaked, I thought it was already out. As this albums dont come to Argentina I have no other way to knowing about them for sites like this, and when I saw it I inmediatly thought it was out. And why then take it out on me? are we gonna play that game again Mike? Why dont say it in general, for all of us who have post in this thread... go and say it to Progtologist too for that matter
Second... ..., I will get back on you with that
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 21:43
Well I've pre-ordered the album (a couple weeks ago now though), I can't wait to get it.  This is THE best album of 2006.  Only 10 or so more days left until I can see the amazing packaging. 

[spoiler]
What I've noticed about the new SGM album is that it's a lot more coherent album, it feels like an album and less like a collection of randomly selected songs (like their previous efforts).  The production is beautiful and the compositions are intricate but yet extremely concise.  I also love when Nils and Carla are synced together (violin and guitar), especially at the end of Widening Eye. 
[/spoiler]

Wahh, I wish time would speed up.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 22:08
Originally posted by mecca mecca wrote:

Well I've pre-ordered the album (a couple weeks ago now though), I can't wait to get it.  This is THE best album of 2006.  Only 10 or so more days left until I can see the amazing packaging. 

[spoiler]
What I've noticed about the new SGM album is that it's a lot more coherent album, it feels like an album and less like a collection of randomly selected songs (like their previous efforts).  The production is beautiful and the compositions are intricate but yet extremely concise.  I also love when Nils and Carla are synced together (violin and guitar), especially at the end of Widening Eye. 
[/spoiler]

Wahh, I wish time would speed up.

2006????Shocked

You know, I think Of Natural History is much more coherent than In glorious times... but they are both great... still, I find ONH to be their masterpiece
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 23:22

Oh whoops, I meant 2007.  Nah, ONH was great, but it didn't flow at all.  Not to mention, ONH had a lot more filler, especially 17 Year Cicadas (yawn), those field recordings.  Cockroach shouldn't be after Babydoctor at all, especially without epic Babydoctor is as a whole.  I could imagine Cockroach before Babydoctor, that would work a lot better aesthetically.  The first six songs on Of Natural History flow well, but after that, the consistancy gets a bit shakey.  I think the flow on ONH hindered my ability to continually listen to the album, which I can't do much on it, just because the album felt really lopsided.  In Glorious Times is even througout, every song has a climax, no more filler, every song feels like it's an essential part of the album.  The songs that I could take out of Of Natural History, and it wouldn't change my opinion of the music would be:  The 17-Year Cicada, What Shall We Do Without Us, Cockroach.

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 23:28

Have you noticed that in the first song Nils and Carla sing in spanish one part? Talk about goosebumps! Whats up with that... did they thought that its quite cool that the MArs Volta is doing it, so they discided to do it too?... mmm maybe, either way, its awesomeand the last 5 songs... who else here things they make one big epic?

That spanish in the Mars Volta album didn't sounded so cool to me. If you don't know how to speak in another language, then just don't.
¡Beware of the Bee!

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 17:20
Originally posted by mecca mecca wrote:

Oh whoops, I meant 2007.  Nah, ONH was great, but it didn't flow at all.  Not to mention, ONH had a lot more filler, especially 17 Year Cicadas (yawn), those field recordings.  Cockroach shouldn't be after Babydoctor at all, especially without epic Babydoctor is as a whole.  I could imagine Cockroach before Babydoctor, that would work a lot better aesthetically.  The first six songs on Of Natural History flow well, but after that, the consistancy gets a bit shakey.  I think the flow on ONH hindered my ability to continually listen to the album, which I can't do much on it, just because the album felt really lopsided.  In Glorious Times is even througout, every song has a climax, no more filler, every song feels like it's an essential part of the album.  The songs that I could take out of Of Natural History, and it wouldn't change my opinion of the music would be:  The 17-Year Cicada, What Shall We Do Without Us, Cockroach.

I love What shall we do and CockroachLOL... I love the whole thing, and its true what you say, the flow builds after many, many times of listening... in a way, its more optuse and prog than In glorious times
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 03:21

First of all, I didnt know it was leaked, I thought it was already out. As this albums dont come to Argentina I have no other way to knowing about them for sites like this, and when I saw it I inmediatly thought it was out. And why then take it out on me? are we gonna play that game again Mike? Why dont say it in general, for all of us who have post in this thread... go and say it to Progtologist too for that matter

I am saying it to everyone who promotes leaks ... I even said it to my friend The Progtologist, which caused much grief and sorrow. I'm sorry if my post offended you ... if you really thought the album had already been released then I apologize.Embarrassed

But please try to understand my point of view ... you were asking for opinions about an album which people can only know in detail if they listened to a leak (likely) or received a legitimate promo copy (unlikely)? The album isn't even mentioned on their website yet (May 22nd). It will be released this friday in Europe, next tuesday in the Americas. And although you say that you didn't know it was a leak, you continue to discuss it ... Wink

Please don't be too angry about my post, listening to leaks seems to be no problem for most people (polls about the subject are deleted by admins, so we won't find out in detail) ... I simply reserve my right to complain when threads like this one are started, because I think that in the end it hurts the artist ... but as I said, this is only my opinion and I know that many people think otherwise.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 22 2007 at 06:00
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 22:46

I am saying it to everyone who promotes leaks ... I even said it to my friend The Progtologist, which caused much grief and sorrow. I'm sorry if my post offended you ... if you really thought the album had already been released then I apologize.Embarrassed

But please try to understand my point of view ... you were asking for opinions about an album which people can only know in detail if they listened to a leak (likely) or received a legitimate promo copy (unlikely)? The album isn't even mentioned on their website yet (May 22nd). It will be released this friday in Europe, next tuesday in the Americas. And although you say that you didn't know it was a leak, you continue to discuss it ... Wink

Please don't be too angry about my post, listening to leaks seems to be no problem for most people (polls about the subject are deleted by admins, so we won't find out in detail) ... I simply reserve my right to complain when threads like this one are started, because I think that in the end it hurts the artist ... but as I said, this is only my opinion and I know that many people think otherwise.

Ok, Mike... let me just take a Valium... ahh...

I understand, I totally do, sorry if I got all crazy and sh*t. I see your point, to be honest, I had no idea it was leaked, I noticed the album in this site, so I thought... of course there are many leaked albums in this site, like the DT one...
TheProgMonster View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 20:47
Admins Please Delete This!

Edited by TheProgMonster - May 26 2007 at 20:56
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 20:49
...may this be competition for album of the year¿¿?Shocked
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 20:55
Sadly I've still yet to listen to a single note from these guys, but before the end of the year I'll be sure I do. Smile

MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 21:25
I picked it up today. I listened to it driving back from the store. I listened to it once at home. I listened to it after eating. I am listening to it now.

This album is AMAZING!!!

This band never ceases to amaze me.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 21:37
They have a video out for the song Helpless Corpse Enactment on their site(or was it on the end records site?).The song is going to be their new album. The video is pretty weird and the song is heaviest I have ever heard form these guys. Who else have seen this?

Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

I picked it up today. I listened to it driving back from the store. I listened to it once at home. I listened to it after eating. I am listening to it now.

This album is AMAZING!!!

This band never ceases to amaze me.

Where at? It doesn't come out until another three days(over here anyways).

Edited by TheProgMonster - May 26 2007 at 21:41
MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 02:10
At some place called the mushroom...I dont know how they had it...but they did.
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 12:01
Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

At some place called the mushroom...I dont know how they had it...but they did.
Hey, could you go into a little detail about the packaging?  :)  I'm getting it tomorrow for sure because I preordered... I'm really excited to see the inside.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 12:08
I hope its as great as the Of Natural History packaging.Smile
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 18:04
Yeah, I love ONH's packaging, so epic.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 23:39
Wish I could have the real thing... unfortunately... I dontCry
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 17:27
Yes it finally outThumbs%20Up! I'll give my consensus on it later.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>