Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBootlegs Hate Them? Like Them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bootlegs Hate Them? Like Them?
    Posted: March 19 2004 at 14:26
I've been collecting Lp's since time began and I've never had any interest in bootleg recordings no matter how much I liked the band. First of all the you're not supporting your favourite band and for the most part, these recordings are atrocious in quality. When I was picking up gems like In A Glass House or an imported Grobschnitt album for $3 or $4 second hand back in the 70's these bootlegs which were practically unlistenable to were going for $20-$30! I've noticed that there have been a lot of Gentle Giant bootlegs being issued "officially" over the past few years starting with Live In Rome which in terms of quality is crap. Robert Fripp has also released some early KC material which first appeared in bootleg form. I don't know. How can someone sit and listen to 60 minutes of what, to me, amounts to construction noise? I might as well just listen to my toilet flush. Anyone agree? Disagree?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 14:41

Agree entirely. There are though I guess 3 type of bootleg.

1- Concert recordings. Very variable, from those taken off the soundboards, to the ones recorded someone in the audience holding a mike up. I can undertsand these may be of interest to those who were at the performance, but as virtually every band releases live albums anyway, why line the pockets of the bootleggers?

2-Rare studio recordings not otherwide available. These recordings are often not available with good reason, or so are close to the final published version that it's hard to tell the difference. I have a degree of understanding for those who go for this type, as they will usually have bought all the commerically available stuff anyway.

3-Copies of commercially available music, hijacked by people for their own profit. Anyone who buys these should be ashamed of themselves.

Personally, I've never bought any bootlegs, and have no intention of doing so.

corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 15:12

To each his own... I adore my bootleg CDs of the Relayer and Topographic tours... Sound quality??  If I can hear the notes, I can hear the music.  You haven't heard The Gates of Delirium 'til you've heard it live!  And I don't mean Yesshows!

But I respect you guys' noble deportment.

Corbet

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 15:29

I was GIVEN a U.K. bootleg. Holdsworth and Bruford doing Ceasar's Palace Blues and the early Version of The Sahara of Snow. There is another Danger Money tune with AH and BB. Wonderful. The sound quality isn't bad either.

As far as purchasing? Nah, I don't even care for LIVE stuff unless I've seen the tour and the music supports the memory.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 15:42

ELP have released 3 box sets of official bootlegs in recent years taken from a mixture of soundboard and fans recordings.They are interesting in filling in the gaps so to speak.For instance you can chart the evolution of the peice 'Pictures At An Exhibition' from the 1971 album release to the shorter version that appeared on 'In Concert' 1977. However the sound quality is ropey for sure.

Hammar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2004 at 12:13

I have a lot of Pink Floyd bootlegs, just because I am a collector of them. It is usually poor quality and I practically never listen to it. I'm happy that I've never started to collect another band in the same dimension. Pink Floyd? Because it was the first band that I really fell in love with and introduced me to the world of great music

Easy Livin - welcome to the forum! Reading your nickname brings Kansas or Deep Purple to my mind, but can't place it. Guess it's just a coincidence..

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 07:33
Easy Livin' is Uriah Heep, from 'The Magicians Birthday' - probably their best album

Welcome to the forum EL, always good to have opinions from north of the border

Edited by Jim Garten

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 08:23

I've got a bootleg from camel on tour '81, hate the setlist.. they just play the album NUDE, wich I dislike, camel without bardens just isn't the camel with him    :(..

A add-on for the trade tread..

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 14:49
i agree with you, most of the times these recordings lacks technical side of the mixing and supports the bad listening experience. There are a few, i mean counted pieces of bootlegs that really worth the risk buying them, in any case, you must consider where this bootlegs came from, and then analize if the technology there supports those live recordings, and of course, hava taste of them, hearing is believing.
Aztech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 12:06
I'm not much into Bootlegs myself but have nothing against them. I have only bought one bootleg of my favorite band because I had everything else and wanted to hear live versions which were different to the studio versions.Most times the price is high and the quality is low.
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 13:56
I never tryed to get some...because I buy the Original albums, mostly no live albums, and when I also have to buy various bootlegs I know I can't stop buying more and more so I prevent the whole situation by not buying any bootlegs and limit all to the original releases...
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 15:17
Thanks for the welcome folks. You were nearly there with "Easy livin" Jim, it's actually from Demons and Wizards by Uriah Heep. Plenty of live versions of that song available even without the bootlegs!
 Post Reply Post Reply