Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThis needs to be said to the world, I am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:54
Originally posted by Chus Chus wrote:

Well what was Happy Family (the song) about?Wink 

That is unfair, as Sinfeild wrote the lyrics.  This was actually around the time that Fripp was getting quite unhappy with Peter (and everybody else, for that matter!), so he may or may not of approved of all of the lyrics. 

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:55
Originally posted by atomic_rooster atomic_rooster wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I like the Beatles a bit, I just feel that they are very overrated

My thoughts exactly!

Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 02:14
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

[QUOTE=Atomic_Rooster]Ringo must be the single greatest drummer of all time *chokes on lies*

[QUOTE] Ringo was and still is a great drummer.  Compared to Virgil Donati or Terry Bozzio he does not have the chops, but when Ringo played on those wondeful Beatles albums and his solo albums he added a whole depth to the sound.  Can you imagine listening to any Beatles song with a different drummer?  Think about Come Together.  That has one of the greatest beats ever.  [QUOTE]

I'm not an expert on Beatles trivia but I'm damn sure Paul Mcartney plays drums on 'Come Together'.

They were'nt the greatest band but Lennon & McCartney were the greatest songwriters!

Edited by Progger - May 13 2007 at 02:50
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 03:54
For once I completely agree with TLC.
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 06:46
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Originally posted by Chus Chus wrote:

Well what was Happy Family (the song) about?Wink 

That is unfair, as Sinfeild wrote the lyrics.  This was actually around the time that Fripp was getting quite unhappy with Peter (and everybody else, for that matter!), so he may or may not of approved of all of the lyrics. 

come to think of it the song walking on air on the KC album Thrak was blatantly John Lennon influenced. The song Lady of the Dancing water on Lizard sounds very similar to a Beatles tune (I can't remember which one).
But as I said earlier,  the Beatles arn't the only influential group people seem to forget about the other genres eg Jazz, Avantgarde classical, Frank Zappa.

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - May 13 2007 at 06:48

chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 08:03
I was born, and still live, in Liverpool. I remember The Beatles at the height of their fame. My sister, a good few years older than me, danced with Paul McCartney at the Cavern in the early days, and I know many people here who met them, or had some association with them.
I can assure everyone that they were far from the best band of all time!
The most influencial of all time, yes, without a doubt. They changed music history. And they wrote some very good songs. They also wrote some rubbish, like most bands do, and they were, by their own admission, average musicians. You'd be surprised how many people here in Liverpool, even now, don't rate them very highly. A classic case of a band being in the right place at the right time.
I'm not saying all this to put them down. They were certainly good at what they did. But I am just adding some balance to the picture painted of them.
(Something that always makes me laugh is the amount of tourists who come here and visit 'The Cavern', not knowing that it isn't the original place were they played - the original was knocked down and is round the corner from the new one.)
But I did have some Beatles albums, mainly stereo ones from Germany that my brother-in-law brought back with him when in the army. My favourite Beatles period was the early one - pre '65. Smile
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 10:09
The Beatles were great songwriters, and put out a lot of good stuff. But I also think they're terribly overrated. In my opinion most of Frank Zappa's material goes far over any of the Beatle's achievements in songwriting and especially musicianship. The Beatles were much better at pop then most of the bands here which made them very huge with the masses, so it is understandable why they'd be such a huge influence.

TLC, weren't you raving about how Genesis was the best band but a few weeks ago?
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 11:06
As others have said, I think The Beatles are the greatest pop group ever. The most influencial for sure.

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 12:14
No.

Speesh, Genesis were the best prog band. As The Beatles are not prog, there is a subtle difference.
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 12:22
Correction. The Beatles are the greatest non prog band ever.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 12:35
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

The Beatles were great songwriters, and put out a lot of good stuff. But I also think they're terribly overrated. In my opinion most of Frank Zappa's material goes far over any of the Beatle's achievements in songwriting and especially musicianship. The Beatles were much better at pop then most of the bands here which made them very huge with the masses, so it is understandable why they'd be such a huge influence.

TLC, weren't you raving about how Genesis was the best band but a few weeks ago?

i totally disagree with what you say, but i defend (not with my life) your right to say it! IMHO The Beatles and Frank Zappa bear no comparison whatsoever, most of what Zappa did seemed to be extended jamming mixed with silly humour, miles and miles and miles of tape and dozens and dozens of albums, i bet they just jammed all day and left someone reloading the tape machine all day!LOL  i have a copy of "Hot Rats" which is a brilliant album, but all the others i've heard are totally lost on me.

The Beatles learned their craft the hard way, and perfected their enormous talent over the years, their musical genius  reached everybody and captured the mood of the times perfectly. If I hadn't heard of The Beatles in 1962 i doubt if my interest in music had come to much at all, we all owe the boys a great debt of gratitude for influencing all genres of music.Smile

so there! Wink
Prog Archives Tour Van
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 12:48

Don't get me wrong, I like the Beatles a bit, I just feel that they are very overrated

My thoughts exactly!

I don't believe it's possible to over-rate the Beatles at all.

It is possible to underestimate their importance, however - people seem to do that all the time Wink
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 12:49
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

I don't believe it's possible to over-rate the Beatles at all.

It is possible to underestimate their importance, however - people seem to do that all the time Wink

I totally agree Mark.LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 12:56
The Beatles have a charming, whimsical naivety that appeals to me.  The feel-good, simplistic qualities can make me feel good when I'm in the mood for something light.  Fun stuff.  They did come out with some beautiful melodies, but their music generally lacks the multi-layered textures, more complex harmonics, rhythms, nuances, and adventurousness that excites me.

When I fist played The Beatles for my Asian wife (still amazed she didn't really know their music, but of course she knew of their reputation and popularity) she exclaimed that she couldn't see what all the fuss about -- a piffle for her and more of a delightful souffle for me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 12:57
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

No.

Speesh, Genesis were the best prog band. As The Beatles are not prog, there is a subtle difference.

Ah, that makes much more sense. As a non-prog band I'd say they're one of the best considering their consistently very good output.

Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

i totally disagree with what you say, but i defend (not with my life) your right to say it! IMHO The Beatles and Frank Zappa bear no comparison whatsoever, most of what Zappa did seemed to be extended jamming mixed with silly humour, miles and miles and miles of tape and dozens and dozens of albums, i bet they just jammed all day and left someone reloading the tape machine all day!LOL  i have a copy of "Hot Rats" which is a brilliant album, but all the others i've heard are totally lost on me.

The Beatles learned their craft the hard way, and perfected their enormous talent over the years, their musical genius  reached everybody and captured the mood of the times perfectly. If I hadn't heard of The Beatles in 1962 i doubt if my interest in music had come to much at all, we all owe the boys a great debt of gratitude for influencing all genres of music.Smile

so there! Wink

I used to feel the same way about Zappa, but the more I listen the more it seems to make sense. It is just my personal opinion that Zappa's musical achievements are better, though as we all know no opinion is right. Wink If you haven't already be sure to try out The Grand Wazoo, I like it almost as much as Hot Rats.

And I agree that the Beatles had an unparalleled (and very positive) influence on music in general. For example, I much prefer the songwriting on Love - Forever Changes to any Beatles album I've heard to date, but it probably wouldn't exist in the first place if it wasn't for them. Embarrassed

From what I know they were also a substantial influence on early KC, and we all know how important the influence there is.

Edit- Don't take it seriously when I say a band's overrated, I'll say that about any band that's popular. Tongue

Edited by Speesh - May 13 2007 at 13:00
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 13:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Beatles have a charming, whimsical naivety that appeals to me.  The feel-good, simplistic qualities can make me feel good when I'm in the mood for something light.  Fun stuff.  They did come out with some beautiful melodies, but their music generally lacks the multi-layered textures, more complex harmonics, rhythms, nuances, and adventurousness that excites me.

When I fist played The Beatles for my Asian wife (still amazed she didn't really know their music, but of course she knew of their reputation and popularity) she exclaimed that she couldn't see what all the fuss about -- a piffle for her and more of a delightful souffle for me.

Now that all depends on which Beatles songs you listened to - I can't believe you listened to the entire catalogue in one sitting...

If you're saying that "Eleanor Rigby" or "Tomorrow Never Knows" (as but two examples) lack multi-layered textures, complex harmonies and adventurousness, then you haven't listened to either.

As for rhythms, I'd challenge you to find anything more exciting in early 1960s rock music.

Edited by Certif1ed - May 13 2007 at 13:31
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 15:31
Oh please!

When they surfaced as a band in America, they were probably pretty damned amazing.
However, in now times, compared to countless prog bands, they are lacking.
No one adores the beatles greats as much as I do (well... maybe others do BLINDLY)
but I will never once even put them on the top 10 of most talented groups.
I say again, they are a great band, but to call them the greatest band in the whole world, that has ever been... that's just blind fanboyism.
Most popular would be a much more suitable claim.

I SAY AGAIN! I LOVE THE BEATLES! In mine own mind, no one can like them more than I do, but there are limits. LIMITS!
Edit- I have to add, to clear it up, I would have to agree though that they are probably the most important band that ever was. That's as clear as saran wrap.

Edited by -Radioswim- - May 13 2007 at 15:34
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 15:49
Great arguments! you know whats an even better band... YES!!!Big%20smile
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 17:02
They are and were the greatest, period.  I am not a fanboy, I just believe in their power and message and influence, and ofcourse I, as well as counntless others, enjoy the music to no end...thats not to say I dont enjoy other bands even more-so, but it is the whole THING, the whole Beatles THING!!!

They are just the BEST.
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 17:03
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

They are and were the greatest, period.  I am not a fanboy, I just believe in their power and message and influence, and ofcourse I, as well as counntless others, enjoy the music to no end...thats not to say I dont enjoy other bands even more-so, but it is the whole THING, the whole Beatles THING!!!

They are just the BEST.

*Slaps TLC with chainmail glove*  I challenge you to a duel unless you recant of your position!
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>