FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRIAA getting out of control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 13:40
The problem is FM radio as a whole doesn't have a powerful lobby like the RIAA has.  I might expect the large corporate stations, such as the ones owned by Clear Channel or Sinclair Media to survive (in fact, i've heard rumors that this royalty fee might be waived for such stations if they cooperate...), but smaller media companies, and the independent stations (the only good ones IMO) will go under immediately.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 13:46
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

The problem is FM radio as a whole doesn't have a powerful lobby like the RIAA has.  I might expect the large corporate stations, such as the ones owned by Clear Channel or Sinclair Media to survive (in fact, i've heard rumors that this royalty fee might be waived for such stations if they cooperate...), but smaller media companies, and the independent stations (the only good ones IMO) will go under immediately.

I wonder if this will only yield more consolidation by ClearChannel, etc.

As long as I can still have NPR, jazz, and classical...about the only thing FM is good for nowadays, at least in the Philly area.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 15:43
^^^ yea i pick up those stations in my area. the only stations i really listen to really
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 18:04
Yeah, I remember when local radio stations were important in helping break bands regionally then nationally. Your local station could add a song that was getting requested a lot, without waiting for Head Office to program it. You get enough stations lined up & who knows, you get a national break & so on. But that was when radio made a difference. With the advent of CD players in cars, MP3 players, Ipods an all, the only ones listening to radio are the ones who are really music buyers.
The ones who do so are out looking for stations that play to the niche, whether it be college stations, independants & god help us all, Public Radio. Here in Canada, on CBC radio, their schedule is filled with alternative, indie, jazz, avant-garde shows. They may be on later at night, but once you find one that gives you those treasures, you'll never bother with regular radio. Internet radio has so much promise, let's hope that the new royalties deal doesn't kill the goose before it starts laying golden eggs.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 21:08
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

So you are saying that the RIAA has a motive to shut down FM radio?  As I understand it, regular FM radio stations struggle to survive as it is.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said they have reasons to shut down AM, FM or INTERNET radio, the law is with the radios, RIAA is asking the Congress to change a law to their convenience.

I'm tryng to guess how they will act, they won't go against the biggest ones, their strategy is going with the weaker contestant.

Believe me, if RIAA shuts ONE RADIO, let it be AM or FM, all the rest will fight together the RIAA, it's not so easy as to sue an 80 years old lady because her grandaughter downloaded two Britney songs on her computer,

Remember RIAA groups the big musical labels but the radios have also a representative as powerfull as them, the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) so RIAA will have to fight them also.

Quote The National Association of Broadcasters is a trade association that advocates on behalf of more than 8,300 free, local radio and television stations and also broadcast networks before Congress, the Federal Communications Commission and the Courts.

Radios know that if RIAA wins one case, they will win all the rest, so they won't allow it.}

USA has a legal system based in jurisprucence and precedent, if one Judge rules against lets say a small FM station oin Topeka, the bigger stations will have a rough time because that judge created a precedent and set jurisprudence that must be followed by other courts.

The big networks can't allow that precedent to be created, so they will lobby even if the RIAA promisse not to touch them because we all know that RIAA is inefficient and will keep loosing money (Today relasing a CD is easy, they don't have a monopoly anymore), so sooner or later RIAA will go against the big stations and they will use any precedent availlable.

You need to think as a lawyer, because music is a business today.

Iván 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 23 2007 at 22:10

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 08:49
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

So you are saying that the RIAA has a motive to shut down FM radio?  As I understand it, regular FM radio stations struggle to survive as it is.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said they have reasons to shut down AM, FM or INTERNET radio, the law is with the radios, RIAA is asking the Congress to change a law to their convenience.

Wow!  A boldface and large font reply.  Chill.  That's why I was asking.  Did you see the question mark? Wink 

Edited by StyLaZyn - May 24 2007 at 08:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 11:55

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Wow!  A boldface and large font reply.  Chill.  That's why I was asking.  Did you see the question mark? Wink 

Only wrote larger fonts on the last paert of the phrase  "RIAA is asking the Congress to change a law to their convenience".  to emphasize what RIAA is doing and to express my disagreement with their actions, the rest of the phrase has been altered by you. LOL

Your question clearly implies I'm saying something different that I say you don't ask:

Do you think RIAA......?

You ask: So you are saying that the RIAA has a motive to shut down FM radio? 

This, more than a question is a conclusion with interrogation sign and implies I'm in agreement with RIAA actions and adding new elements I never mentioned.

And at the end, bold or not...I was only answerng your question.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 24 2007 at 12:04

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 12:06
^^OK. I could have asked the question better, as to ask if the possibility could exist.  I type the way I talk, sometimes forgetting there may be a slight language barrier. Wink

Also, I obviously read it thinking you were angry.

No worries!  Big%20smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 14:31

^^OK. I could have asked the question better, as to ask if the possibility could exist.  I type the way I talk, sometimes forgetting there may be a slight language barrier. Wink

Also, I obviously read it thinking you were angry.

No worries!  Big%20smile

No worries,either, but you're right, I'm angry with this kind of behaviour by the RIAA.

I'm tired of power groups trying to manipulate the law,the Congress and the public opinion to obtain unfair benefit. That examplle of a former Supreme starving is only a manipulation of feelings to justify the greed for money.

She is nobody today because she didn't had enough talent to keep releasing, but in their day she received a benefit from the radio, if it wasn't for the big stations that made her music popular, she would had never been famous or received a chance many more talented artists fight for during their lifes.

I'm sure that if she had the chance to release a new album, she would be begging  the radios for some airplay, but it's easier to live from what she did 40 years ago and squeeze the radios once made her famous...Royalties are not wealthfare.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12