Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDirectional Audio Cables - myth or reality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Directional Audio Cables - myth or reality?
    Posted: June 04 2007 at 05:11
Instead of the usual CD vs. vinyl argument ... let's talk about one of the most controversial audiophile theories: directional speaker cables. Unfortunately I cannot create polls in this section of the forum ... please if you post here, include a vote (yes - I believe in this theory, no - I don't believe in this theory), and I'll count the votes manually and update this post in a few weeks so hopefully we can find out more about the acceptance of the theory.

Smile 

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - June 04 2007 at 08:47
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 05:51

The two individual wires of the cable that carry the signal is not unidirectional.

What makes directional speaker cable directional is the screen (or shield or braid depending on which terminology you prefer). To reduce noise, this is normally earthed at the source end. Earthing both ends can lead to an earth-loop which may induce mains-hum. Using a screened cable also affects the impedance of the speaker as seen by the amp, most quality amps can handle this without problem, but on a cheaper amp this can be detrimental to the sound.

If you use screened cable without terminating the shield then you have wasted your money.

If this fails, try rubbing the cable with snake-oil. Wink

so my answer: reality.

Edited by darqdean - June 04 2007 at 09:05
What?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 06:03
Technically your answer is "myth", isn't it?Wink With a shielded cable you would have at three wires (the two main ones which carry the signal and a third one connected to ground) instead of two, I don't see any difference to a standard two-wire cable. I mean, by reversing the direction of the cable don't change the shielding (the ground/earth connector is still at the amp).

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - June 04 2007 at 06:04
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 06:27
I vote...I don't give a crap.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 06:27
^ No, I'll stick with Reality because of the way these cables are normally supplied (i.e. pre-terminated) Stern%20Smile

If you are making the cable yourself, fitting your own terminators and connecting the shield at the amp-end, then okay, it does not matter if the little arrow on the cable points towards the amp or the speaker, so to be pedantic, it's a Myth

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 06:38
^ you mean that cable has a shield connector only on one side? In that case I guess the cable is directional ... Wink btw: As long as the speaker itself is not connected to the ground for that cable reversing the direction will simply mean to disconnect the shield from the ground. There's no shielding necessary anyway ... the signal is balanced, so interferences cancel themselves out, except for negligible asymmetries (negligible because the signal is very strong in relation to the interferences).

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 06:57
^ the signal is balanced in bridge-amps (eg vehicle ICE systems) and in some valve designs, but in most semiconductor amps the "Black" terminal is grounded, so the signal is un-balanced. However, as you say, the signal is very strong in relation to the interference and the network (amp-cable-speaker) is low impedance, so interference effects are negligible.

Personnally I think shielded speaker cables are a waste of time, effort and money, and any unshielded two-wire cables that are labeled as directional are fraudulent.

Mike, you haven't stated your view on this subject: Myth or Reality?

Edited by darqdean - June 04 2007 at 07:00
What?
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 07:05
as far as i've been told all cables are directional - interconnects, speakers, guitar lead, i thought i should follow the manufacturers instructions to get best results, but i am tempted one day to reverse them all and see  hear what happens Evil%20Smile
Prog Archives Tour Van
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 08:27
In terms of Hifi cables and sound , you'll find little difference between high quality normal cable (this means no specified direction)   and uni-directional cables, IMHO. And I haven't really seen a significant price difference between the two in specialized stores.

I have both sorts on different hifi and simply have never thought about making comparisons by unhooking the cables and exchanging them to compare.

Just to be certain , Mike!!  you are aware that Unidirectional wires (this means they have an arrow pointing the way it should be cabled)  are not speaker cables, but used between the Hifi elements, (but not the speakers). I could be wrong on this issue, but I have yet to hear of speaker cables that are unidirectional (unless you're speaking of connecting the red connector of amplifier  to the red connector of speakers and the black to the black, which should ALWAYS be done anyway)

As for whether it is possible to make unidirectional cable, yes it is but this is feasible only at the foundry during the manufacturing process of the wire and its different alloys. Whether the connectors (end pieces) can be manufactured to be unidirectional, I have no doubt either. Part of my job is about testing different metals (but copper is not one of them) in their resistivity (not resistance as in Ohms, even if that does come in the process) and magnetism properties on the finished products as they age.

And as for ..... trying to reverse the direction on unidirectional cables , I don't care to try, either. I just have more important issues in life..... even if I have nothing to do for the next four hours. I have no doubt it would work worse if reversed, because they are manufactured to work in one direction.

So I say reality and no myth. Whether this unidirection makes a real audible difference to another high-qual wire, I am much less positive, though.

Edited by Sean Trane - June 04 2007 at 08:33
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 08:46
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

^ the signal is balanced in bridge-amps (eg vehicle ICE systems) and in some valve designs, but in most semiconductor amps the "Black" terminal is grounded, so the signal is un-balanced. However, as you say, the signal is very strong in relation to the interference and the network (amp-cable-speaker) is low impedance, so interference effects are negligible.

Personnally I think shielded speaker cables are a waste of time, effort and money, and any unshielded two-wire cables that are labeled as directional are fraudulent.

Mike, you haven't stated your view on this subject: Myth or Reality?

Why, myth of course. BTW thanks for enlightening me about the amp speaker outputs ... I didn't know that they're usually unbalanced.Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 08:51
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Just to be certain , Mike!!  you are aware that Unidirectional wires (this means they have an arrow pointing the way it should be cabled)  are not speaker cables, but used between the Hifi elements, (but not the speakers). I could be wrong on this issue, but I have yet to hear of speaker cables that are unidirectional (unless you're speaking of connecting the red connector of amplifier  to the red connector of speakers and the black to the black, which should ALWAYS be done anyway)

It doesn't matter much whether you connect a CD player to an amp or an amp to speakers ... I edited the thread title a little bit, I'm really referring to audio cables in general, with speaker cables being just one example.Embarrassed

And as for ..... trying to reverse the direction on unidirectional cables , I don't care to try, either. I just have more important issues in life..... even if I have nothing to do for the next four hours. I have no doubt it would work worse if reversed, because they are manufactured to work in one direction.

So I say reality and no myth. Whether this unidirection makes a real audible difference to another high-qual wire, I am much less positive, though.

But how can this be possible? AFAIK there is no basis for a rational explanation of how these unidirectional cables work, or why the direction should have any effect. The audio signal - balanced or unbalanced - is alternating current ...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 08:52
Here is a reference to Speaker Cable polarity from the Van Damme website:

"These plaited conductors are then over-sheathed with a flexible transparent PVC jacket side by side in the same shotgun formation as the twin interconnect, and one conductor is marked with a polarity arrow. This arrow indicates the preferred direction of signal flow: from the amplifier to the speakers."

/edit: Which is a complete nonsense - there is no such thing as signal flow. The signal propagates down the conductor, but the current flow is a.c. - it goes in both directions - it is this fundamental error which is the basis for all these directional claims.

Edited by darqdean - June 04 2007 at 08:55
What?
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 08:54

i have used two makes of speaker cable that claim to be "uni"directional, Hugues, "QED" made in UK and "Kimber" speaker cables made in USA, which i believe are marked from the point of manufacture. Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 09:35
Okay, now you've altered the topic subject to include all hi-fi interconnects, I've read back through what I wrote and it still applies (apart from a typo that I've since fixedEmbarrassed)

There are two types of small-signal interconnect: balanced and unbalanced. Balanced has two inner conductors which are the signal & return path and has an earthed external screen (eg XLR type cable) - unbalance cable has a single inner conductor (signal) and the outer screen is also used as the return path (eg RCA connectors). Neither are directional.

You can buy balanced cable with RCA connectors - these cables are psuedo-balanced, the screen and the "return" conductor are connected at source and the screen is left "open" at the receiving end. These cables are marked as being directional with the arrow pointing to the "open" end.

That is the technical explanation and in theory it is possible to tell the difference if you get the direction wrong, but for the carp I listen too I doubt I'd notice Wink

Edited by darqdean - June 04 2007 at 09:36
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 09:51
^ of course this type of cable is not what I mean ... directional cables in the world of audiophiles are usually cables which are supposed to be optimized for a particular direction on the material level - meaning that the same "wire" sounds differently depending on which direction you use.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 09:52
Oh, in that case. Pure Smoke and Mirrors, Emperor's New Clothes, Snake Oil - i.e. MYTH. LOL
What?
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 10:05
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

as far as i've been told all cables are directional - interconnects, speakers, guitar lead, i thought i should follow the manufacturers instructions to get best results, but i am tempted one day to reverse them all and see hear what happens Evil%20Smile

You'll hear that it's less good.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 10:16
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

It doesn't matter much whether you connect a CD player to an amp or an amp to speakers ... I edited the thread title a little bit, I'm really referring to audio cables in general, with speaker cables being just one example.Embarrassed

But how can this be possible? AFAIK there is no basis for a rational explanation of how these unidirectional cables work, or why the direction should have any effect. The audio signal - balanced or unbalanced - is alternating current ...

Aside from the explanation Darqdean gave you about the AC signal!

Again Mike, this is where it is useful to see which cables you're talking about.

Indeed the speakers cable transport an AC-like signal to the speaker, but this one is riding on a slight DC current (needed to power up the speakers>> please don't tell me these are working on water and fresh airWink). BTW!! Important that both speaker cables be the same lenghts (in case of stereo, I don't know for 5.1) even if one is much closer to the stereo. The entire length should be deployed and NEVER wound up.

With unidirectional cable between say your CD deck to your amp >> the info can only go one way and is not an AC (either O or 1), therefore only going one way anyway.

Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

i have used two makes of speaker cable that claim to be "uni"directional, Hugues, "QED" made in UK and "Kimber" speaker cables made in USA, which i believe are marked from the point of manufacture. Smile

Fred, the two brand names you mention are unknown to me (as a matter of fact I don't know any cable manufacturer off hand or by memory Embarrassed) so I don't know how serious they are.

For my speaker cable (cut to the dimension I asked them and left bare), I had to mark the black side with a black marker and make sure that at the other end I marked the colour on the same side.  So for my use since the cables comes from a 50m spool, only the connectors coud be unidirectional unless there are repeated arrows down the cable as well as colour markings down the whole lenght of the cable.

For me the most important quality for speaker cables is shielding (this is where the signal is the most vulnerable),  and to make sure that they do not run alongside other cables >> never wind up your cables either, this produce capacitance and induction phenemenon, (this might appear a bit crazy , but even at these low tensions/power,  best not taking chances.

Edited by Sean Trane - June 04 2007 at 10:25
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 10:24
^ why should there be an DC current required to "power up" the speakers? Essentially a speaker is an electrical magnet ... depending on the voltage of the signal the magnet attracts or repells the membrane (or rather the piece of metal attached to the membrane). If a speaker really needed DC current I'm sure it would simply get its own power supply.

And I'm also sure that the signals between the hi-fi components are AC too. You can't transport information on a DC connection ... unless you would do some kind of current modulation, which I have never heard of.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - June 04 2007 at 11:35
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 11:28

Indeed the speakers cable transport an AC-like signal to the speaker, but this one is riding on a slight DC current (needed to power up the speakers>> please don't tell me these are working on water and fresh airWink).

They are not working on water and fresh air - the water would be harmful. Wink

There is no DC component in the speaker cable - it there was it would seriously damage your speakers. The Power Amplifier amplifies the music signal (I will refrain from calling it AC from now on) to such a level that it can drive the speaker coil.

(AC can power things - that's how washing machines and light bulbs work!)

With unidirectional cable between say your CD deck to your amp >> the info can only go one way and is not an AC (either O or 1), therefore only going one way anyway.

Signal flow is not the same as current flow (I've said this before), If you hold a length of rope by one end and give it a flick, a single "wave" would travel along the rope, but nothing else would. In an electrical conductor electrons do not flow along the cable carring bits of music signal - they propagate the "information" from one electron to the next like the fibres in the rope did. Imagine a Newton's Cradle - swing the ball at one end and the ball at the opposite end bounces. (it's actually nothing like that - but this is as simple an analogy I could think of).

AC is not 1 or 0 - that is binary. AC is a voltage that cycles between postive and negative - for Mains electricity this happens at 50 or 60 times a second - for music it happens at the frequecy of the music being played.

The music signal really does Alternate between positive and negative, the Current flows in alternating directions in the conductor.

A unidirectional conductor would stop half this signal from getting through. That is called a diode.

BTW!! Important that both speaker cables be the same lenghts (in case of stereo, I don't know for 5.1) even if one is much closer to the stereo. The entire length should be deployed and NEVER wound up.
Matched speaker cable lengths are a partial Myth. 

Electronic signals travel down the speaker cables at aproximately two-thirds the speed of light (i.e. 200,000,000m/s) which is roughtly 5nS to travel 1 metre. For there to be a noticeable phase difference to audio signals the difference in lenght between two cables would need to be over 10000 metres (or 50µS).

There are impedance differences between unmatched cables that would be noticeable on inferior amplifiers - however you would not detect this on any mid to high-end amplifier.

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>