Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis Tour Critique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 07:46
Thanks for that review Harold.

I was starting to wonder how that tour was going. I didn't buy a ticket. They were far too expensive for the UK shows, and as I suspected they are not playing much prog stuff. I would pay money to see Genesis doing predominantly post Duke material, but not £170 for a cheap seat.
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 05:45
Originally posted by Harold Demure Harold Demure wrote:

Hi, I was on the yesterdays concert in Katowice.
They also showed great musical skills - Rutherford in the solo on Firth of Fifth

whoa, can't believe rutherford attempted playing that
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
Harold Demure View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 05:33
IMO both "eras" of Genesis are full of valuable music. Of course, the 70s are better than 80s and 90s, but Genesis were for me gods both as prog-rockers and pop-rockers. I don't know wh you guys think of all this post Hackett stuff like rubbish...
You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice
Spyro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 05:27
Sounds like a cool set list, gee i`m sorry I missed out  LOL
Harold Demure View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 05:04
Hi, I was on the yesterdays concert in Katowice.
My general impression is very positive, even thought they didn't play a lot of prog rock stuff - there were more songs like Land Of Confusion, I Can't Dance etc. But sill I think that the performance of the whole band was excellent. And Phil Collins proved to be not only a great vocalist, but also a very nice comedian and showman. In spite of his age, he's still in great form. They also showed great musical skills - Collins with his solo on drums, Rutherford in the solo on Firth of Fifth, Banks eg. in organ solo of the same song.
Haven't ever seen such a pompous show, too. Some animations were absolutely brilliant, IMO the best one was in Home By The Sea. It really brought a new light on this song with this horrifying figure from the famous Munch's picture "The Scream" - an excellent idea to display it during this song.

Apart from that, in this concert there was something special, precisely - the weather. It was so awful that the first words of Phil Collins were: "f**king rain"(he used the polish word for rain, of course ). But the rain and the terrible storm instead of spoiling the concert, added a lot of magic to it's atmosphere. It really didn't bother so much that everyone was soaked to the skin. And something unusual happened wihin the last second of Land Of Confusion. - an enourmous lightning tore the whole sky as if it was planned by organizers.

And one more thing - it seemede that the band put a lot of effort in the concert and that they reall enjoyed the show, too, and that's not only my personal opinion.

So generally it was worth going to this concert, and it was the best I've ever seen (apart from VDGG, maybe). The only disadvantage is the repertoire, alhough you can't have everything.

PS. Sorry for all language mistakes and that post is so chaotic and that I am blabbing so much, but I tend to be a hell of a chatterbox.

Edited by Harold Demure - June 22 2007 at 05:07
You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 04:34
Hi

Why is there so few reports on the Genesis shows. No I will not become a premium Genesis member to find out. Was just hoping all the Genesis fans outthere would have enlightened us somewhat. Forget era's!!! Any feedback please.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12