Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 14:40
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

1. ELP (So much music, so little worth listening to)
2. Rush (Just SHUT UP ALREADY!)
3. Dream Theatre (Well, I just don't dig prog metal that isn't PoS really)
4. Glass Hammer (Pure unadulterated CHEESE)
5. Genesis (Quite simply, o-v-e-r-r-a-t-e-d)

Although I agree with Dream Theater,to include ELP,Genesis and Rush is laughable.Why do you bother even coming here?

Because I am a huge fan of progressive rock, maybe?

Then evidently you have your own definition of what prog rock is!!

Goodness me you're right! Just taking a look in my currently shared mp3 folder I see how mistaken I am! That's a fine collection of hip hop and r n' b if ever I saw it!

The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 15:19

1) ELP after Brain Salad Surgery

2) Marillion

3) Flower Kings

4) Rick Wakeman's solo output (pure CRAP!)

5) Soft Machine after #5 - BOOOOORRRRRRIIIINNNNNGGGG!

Edited by The Owl
People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 15:53

For what its worth:

1. Kansas (last time I trust Progarchives reviews...beyond compare and one of the worst bands I've ever heard.  Ever.)

2. Dream Theater (Oh God......)

3. Renaissance (Just cant understand why they were ever popular. At all. Utterly bland, monodynamic, and downright tedious.  Still holds the record for the shortest time I've owned an album - their Anthology. It took 3 days to shift it on eBay - I listed it within hours of its arrival.  Never have I been as sure about anything...although Colosseum came close to the same fate, I had to listen to it twice before selling it on.)

4. Asia (Prog gone wrong....everything that was bad about prog rock - that hadn't already been achieved by Kansas...)

5. Radiohead (music for sham american pseudo-philosophical sit coms (Dawson's Crack etc.) - picture any great-looking rich teenager sitting at the bottom of some spiral stairs beneath a chandelier, depressed coz some equally good-looking zoom-dweeby just dumped him/her - esprit de Radiohead....)

"Now all the seasons run together, and the middle days are gone..."
JrKASperov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 16:12

1. ELP (So much music, so little worth listening to)
2. Rush (Just SHUT UP ALREADY!)
3. Dream Theatre (Well, I just don't dig prog metal that isn't PoS really)
4. Glass Hammer (Pure unadulterated CHEESE)
5. Genesis (Quite simply, o-v-e-r-r-a-t-e-d)

Goodness me you're right! Just taking a look in my currently shared mp3 folder I see how mistaken I am! That's a fine collection of hip hop and r n' b if ever I saw it!

Amen, to both.
Epic.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 17:02
Originally posted by Wrath_of_Ninian Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

For what its worth:

Renaissance (Just cant understand why they were ever popular. At all. Utterly bland, monodynamic, and downright tedious.  Still holds the record for the shortest time I've owned an album - their Anthology. It took 3 days to shift it on eBay - I listed it within hours of its arrival.  Never have I been as sure about anything.

Question

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 17:05

Although I agree with Dream Theater,to include ELP,Genesis and Rush is laughable.Why do you bother even coming here?

Let him alone; I don't even really KNOW any of those bands well (GASP!!!!!) but I still write reviews and enjoy many OTHER prog bands. I don't think there should be some kind of entry test (You must enjoy THESE particular bands!) in order to post/contribute here.
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 17:12
1. Jordan Rudess (I can't find it in myself to disparage the rest of the band by associating them with this loser)

2. Styx

3. The Moody Blues. It was good for a few albums. Then it got old really fast. Way too syrupy-sweet...blehhhhhhh.

I'm sure I'll come back with more later.
Lunarscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 18:41

I'll take your word for that Reed ,but I don't understand it,even on the issue of taste.To me it's like claiming to be a fan of football and then claiming that Man U,Chelsea and Arsenal are rubbish.

They are....British football is a joke, one stolen FIFA World Cup Title in 1966 and nothing else.  Thanks to british football fans its hard to buy a beer near a soccer stadion anywhere in the world nowadays.

This forum is becoming more and more a fan site where people stop sharing information on Prog Rock and instead defend their own taste with childish passion. All the mainstream bands have been mentioned in this "I hate" thread except from Camel and Focus. Maybe these 2 bands werent big enough to be hated, and the feeling I get is that the Prog Metal fans "pick" on the old-time Prog Rock bands and Prog Rock fans hates these Metal bands....Denying the technical quality of bands mentioned (Genesis, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Moody Blues, Rick Wakemans solo career, Patric Moraz, Frank Zappa, Jetro Tull et all) is IMO pretty foolish, and isnt this thread being used  to pick on eachother ?

Pixel; Tangerine Dream is overrated allright, its because only 2-3 forum members have heard the whole discography and can really discuss any matter concerning the band. Maybe you and I are the only ones that know as a fact that Edgar Froese is 100 times a more refined guitar player than David Gilmore.

______

Lunar

Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 18:46

That says nothing about your definition, just what you've tried....and evidently not what you liked 

THIS IS ELP
BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 20:04
Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

Let him alone; I don't even really KNOW any of those bands well (GASP!!!!!) but I still write reviews and enjoy many OTHER prog bands. I don't think there should be some kind of entry test (You must enjoy THESE particular bands!) in order to post/contribute here.

you forgot rule #1: If you don't consider ELP the best band ever you don't belong here (because you have no music taste and/or are too stupid for their music).

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 20:54
Originally posted by Lunarscape Lunarscape wrote:

[QUOTE]

Pixel; Tangerine Dream is overrated allright, its because only 2-3 forum members have heard the whole discography and can really discuss any matter concerning the band.

pixel was just joking

Maybe you and I are the only ones that know as a fact that Edgar Froese is 100 times a more refined guitar player than David Gilmore.

edgar does not use many pedal effects on his sound. david sounds much better. edgar is at his best on pergamon, underwater sunlight  and tyger

______

Lunar

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 02:44
My worst of the worst:

1. ELP

2. Styx

3. Van Der Graff Generator

4. Frank Zappa

5. Starcastle
Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 03:55
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

[QUOTE]

Pixel; Tangerine Dream is overrated allright, its because only 2-3 forum members have heard the whole discography and can really discuss any matter concerning the band.

pixel was just joking

Maybe you and I are the only ones that know as a fact that Edgar Froese is 100 times a more refined guitar player than David Gilmore.

edgar does not use many pedal effects on his sound. david sounds much better. edgar is at his best on pergamon, underwater sunlight  and tyger

______

Lunar

Yes,Lunar I was just joking. To say that TD are over-rated is a ludicrous statement that can only be countered with humour. As for Edgar's guitar playing,both Chris Franke and Peter Baumann were dead against Edgar playing any guitar at all on TD's albums. They had constant fights about that,Edgar felt that guitar belonged in TD's music,Chris and Peter wanted to keep the music 100% keyboard based. Edgar really had to force through all the guitar parts very much against the will of Chris and Peter. And at the risk of sounding heretical,I think they were right. The 70's albums would have been better without the guitar,which I just find annoying most of the time. The guitar parts always sound forced,and no wonder of course when considering that's exactly what they were! The guitar on "Pergamon" isn't all that bad but it wasn't really until "Underwater Sunlight" that Edgar finally figured out how to integrate guitar seamlessly into the TD sound,until then I always thought it sounded like it didn't truly belong,chiefly because of Edgar's Hendrix fixation,I think, which clashed with the very European sound that TD tried to cultivate which owed very little to rock music of any kind,which was Chris and Peter's point: Guitar simply didn't fit the "concept". But when TD's music started to change in the 80's (especially from the mid 80's) Edgar's guitar started to fit a lot better and since "Underwater Sunlight",Edgar has played some wonderful guitar on TD albums. And he's proven himself a great acoustic guitar player,somewhat surprising since his electric guitar playing is very bombastic,but the acoustic guitar on "Mobocaster" and "Sad Merlin's Sunday" is some of the most beautiful guitar playing I know,so guitar definitely fitted into the TD sound eventually,but as for the 70's albums,I have to agree with Chris and Peter,it would have been better if it had been left out.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
Lunarscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 04:08
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

[QUOTE]

pixel was just joking

So was I   

edgar does not use many pedal effects on his sound. david sounds much better. edgar is at his best on pergamon, underwater sunlight and tyger

So Anyway, Froese is 100 times more skilled as a guitar player than Glimour !

______

Lunar

_________

Lunar

Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 04:25

The boredom has ended and a bit of life has returned to the forums.Wink

Phew:I thought we'd lost it for a while!!!LOL

The "civility thread" is all well and good but it makes for boring,non-confrontational platitudes.Prog music is not about that-it is about passion,conflict and over-indulgence.
I hope you resemble that remark!Wink

Let the blood flow,let the blood flow................................

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 05:43
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

That says nothing about your definition, just what you've tried....and evidently not what you liked 

Well, if you were to look up the majority of those artists on this site you'd find them, but if that doesn't satisfy you then I'll give it a go:

For me, Progressive Rock is not a genre. It is freedom from such tired boundaries. It's musical liberation - artists creating the music they want to create, without giving a toss as to what the record companies want. But obviously it's not as simple as that. No doubt some musicians want to play typical music from this genre or that, and if they're happy doing that then leave them to it, say I. But to really begin making prog first an artist has to be free from the restrictions of categorisation. They need to be able to use whatever styles, whatever instruments, whatever compositional techniques they wish.

Secondly, they need to be DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT. And that's the big one for me. Progressive music is about originality and experimentation. Pushing the boundaries, testing the water. Now, the whole argument of "Well, if that's what you think then every time a band sounds the same on two records they stop being Prog" is misguided and rendundant. The fact is that group has already done it! They've created a new sound, all of their own! Why on Earth should they change it? Why not just explore it a little deeper? Gentle Giant being a fantastic case in point. They didn't stop being Progressive after Octopus, because their sound didn't alter particularly until several albums later. They stopped when they STOPPED PLAYING UNUSUAL MUSIC. That's all Prog really is. It's the pioneering spirit. The "f**k the lot of you! I'll play what I want!" attitude.

Now, I have never once doubted that ELP or Genesis have played some Prog in their time. One listen to Brain Salad Surgery or Supper's Ready certainly dispells that theory. BUT I don't really like them. I'll explain why. Firstly, ELP:

1. Their Interesting to Cheesey ratio I find personally quite poor.
2. Personally, I find Greg Lake to be quite an unexciting musician. He's a capable bassist, he's a tolerable singer, he's a lousy lyricist.
3. Emerson's keyboard style leaves me cold, quite frankly. Big showy arpeggio runs, comparatively simplistic melodies. He's good at what he does, but what he does I don't much care for.
4. Overall they come across as being quite vacuous and, dare I say it, unartistic. It's rather a case of style over content, I feel. No bones to pick with Carl, but he certainly doesn't make up for the many faults I find in their output.

Genesis:

1. Their overall sound is cold and listless. It does NOTHING for me.
2. I didn't live in the 70's, I never saw the shows, and though they were no doubt a fantastic spectacle, that doesn't make up for the fact that:
3. Their overall sound is cold and listless. It does NOTHING for me.
4. Phil Collins.
5. Phil Collins.
6. Their overall sound is cold and listless. It does NOTHING for me.

So, there we are. I've stated my case quite clearly. I'd be extremely grateful if you could leave me alone now, threefates. I KNOW you will disagree with about much of what I've said, but please can't we agree to differ? We're from different sides of the spectrum (it's a big old world of prog, remember). You like the pomp and the spectacle and will take the Big Names from the time any day. I like the obscuriosities (sorry, but I think that's a lovely made up word and it stays) and oddities in prog. The strange music. Music that truly boggles the mind. I couldn't give a toss about how many records they sold. All I am asking as that you RESPECT my opinion and stop accusing me of not being a real prog fan. 90% of the music I listen to is categorised as prog. And I listen to a lot of music. That, I think you'll find, makes me a Prog fan, regardless of ELP.

Edited by Trouserpress
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 11:34
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Gentle Giant one of the worst prog bands, Lucas?  Those guys made some of the best rock music ever!

Soft Machine? Man, you hate all my favourite bands, don't you?

And, what?! FRANK ZAPPA?! [NO COMMENTS ON THAT ONE]

How about MARILLION?

I think he likes Marillion since he was using the cover of Misplaced Childhood as his avatar last year for a while. Still, Lucas explain yourself on how Gentle Giant makes it on to your list of crap prog bands
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 12:26
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Gentle Giant one of the worst prog bands, Lucas?  Those guys made some of the best rock music ever!

Soft Machine? Man, you hate all my favourite bands, don't you?

And, what?! FRANK ZAPPA?! [NO COMMENTS ON THAT ONE]

How about MARILLION?

I think he likes Marillion since he was using the cover of Misplaced Childhood as his avatar last year for a while. Still, Lucas explain yourself on how Gentle Giant makes it on to your list of crap prog bands

About GG : I never said they are a 'crap' band. I just don't like them. The main reason are the vocals (not the canon vocals that are subtely arranged) but the main vocals, which are some of the less agreable I have ever heard, the music is however OK, although a bit dated at times. I prefer listen to troubadour music from the Middle-Age than their music.

About Zappa : first, I don't understand why he dares to sing on his albums, there is nothing mesmerizing in his vocals. Second, his guitar solos are boring (although he is a very good guitarist) and don't sound very pleasant to my ears (you know, I like when the music doesn't hurt my ears).

About Soft Machine : terrible vocals and lack of cohesion, music that drummers can enjoy but otherwise I don't think it's the kind of music that you want to listen to for your pleasure.

About Marillion : I discovered prog with Fish-era Marillion and I still listen to them with a great pleasure. The first four Marillion albums are simply amazing, in terms of vocals, music and lyrics. And once more, I don't judge an album regarding its degree of complexity (although for me the more an album is complex and weird, yes that's the word, like it's the case for most of the RIO releases, the less I want to listen to it). But you are right, the current works of Marillion are pure crap, the magic of their earlier albums has definitely disappeared.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 12:35

Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

My worst of the worst:

1. ELP

2. Styx

4. Frank Zappa

5. Starcastle

Glad to see I am not the only to confess not to like Zappa.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 12:43
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

My worst of the worst:

1. ELP

2. Styx

4. Frank Zappa

5. Starcastle

Glad to see I am not the only to confess not to like Zappa.

with starcastle, the only problem i see is the real to reel album

VDGG?------->Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>