FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedyour 5 worst prog artists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 13:13
Ahum,

you can talk about liking and not liking but THATS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!

Now, you CANNOT say Frank Zappa is the worst, neither of GG, if there were any bands that would rate highest on quality of musicianship it's these two. You cannot dismiss Zappa as a brilliant composer because he wrote every single one of his albums! That's more music than the 5 seminal prog bands TOGETHER!

Now, GG are amazing, when you see them live on one of their DVD's you cannot dismiss that they still play as tight as too hot washed jeans. They do what they did on their albums, which was amazing already, and improve on it! I have not heard anything like Yes do that.
Epic.
Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 13:21
Magellan really suck, i downloaded an album of theirs after amazon recommended them to me and it was just.

Complete rubbish.
We Lost the Skyline............

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 16:35
Originally posted by BebieM BebieM wrote:

you forgot rule #1: If you don't consider ELP the best band ever you don't belong here (because you have no music taste and/or are too stupid for their music).

Oh for God's sake.

I really wonder if some progheads just resent having different types of fans come by, with different tastes from theirs. They seem to think it's like having rednecks in the country club.

[Disclaimer: This is NOT an ELP bashing post...I can't bash them because I've never to my knowledge HEARD anything they've done.]
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 16:37
Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

Originally posted by BebieM BebieM wrote:

you forgot rule #1: If you don't consider ELP the best band ever you don't belong here (because you have no music taste and/or are too stupid for their music).

Oh for God's sake.

I really wonder if some progheads just resent having different types of fans come by, with different tastes from theirs. They seem to think it's like having rednecks in the country club.

[Disclaimer: This is NOT an ELP bashing post...I can't bash them because I've never to my knowledge HEARD anything they've done.]

That post was a joke.  It was a jab at the ELP fanatics on here who go crazy whenever the band gets mentioned in any kind of a negative light.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 17:50

I would list something here but most of it would be when prog took a bad turn in 1978-80.  SO lets just say that the genre sucked for a while.   

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 17:59
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I would list something here but most of it would be when prog took a bad turn in 1978-80.  SO lets just say that the genre sucked for a while.   

You mean when Yes,Kansas,Genesis and ELP all went off the rails,never to recover?

Yes,Kansas,Genesis and ELP,bizaarely accounted for the some of the best and worst of the genre during their careers.I would rather listen to the whole 15 hours of Topographic Oceans than listen to any of Cash Generator,Lost Our Touch,Venereal Confessions or Love Bitch.

Wink

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:03
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

You mean when Yes,Kansas,Genesis and ELP all went off the rails,never to recover?

Yes,Kansas,Genesis and ELP,bizaarely accounted for the some of the best and worst of the genre during their careers.I would rather listen to the whole 15 hours of Topographic Oceans than listen to any of Cash Generator,Lost Our Touch,Venereal Confessions or Love Bitch.

Wink

No, I agree and by Kansas you can add Powerless 1984 and In the Spirit of Things that have nothing to do with our glory days 1987 to that list too.  Nothing but crap.  

But they did recover somewhat with Somewhere to Elsewhere.

Edited by Garion81

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:46
Maybe,but by then you were the only one left who cared-including the band!Wink

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:53

Not quite, they are doing a Europeon tour this summer.  Somebody over on your side of the water cares. Mostly Germany and Spain dates .

Kansas future is in it's past and it's called Proto-Kaw

WWW.Protokaw.com

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:56

Not quite, they are doing a Europeon tour this summer.  Somebody over on your side of the water cares. Mostly Germany and Spain dates .

Kansas future is in it's past and it's called Proto-Kaw

WWW.Protokaw.com

Yes I was just in the process of aquiring some when S******k went haywire on me and deleted all my UserList contacts...Cry

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 19:06

I didn't like much Kansas after the first 2 albums! They went too much 'AOR' with Leftoverture and beyond.How can any of that compare with Death of Mother Nature Suite or Song For America?

Anyway I revise my top five 'worst' prog list to include 5 actual prog bands:

1 Triumvrat (Supposed German ELP clones who have as much 'progressiveness' as Andrew Lloyd Webber )

2 Dream Theater (just got bored with them)

3 Pallas (Based on seeing them live last year.My ears are still hurting.)

4 Transatlantic (too boring and 'nice'.'Prog by numbers')

5 Fish era Marillion (Albums gathering prodigious amounts of dust on my shelves)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 19:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

1 Triumvrat (Supposed German ELP clones who have as much 'progressiveness' as Andrew Lloyd Webber )

5 Fish era Marillion (Albums gathering prodigious amounts of dust on my shelves)

You'll come back to Marillion-I guarantee it.
Agree pretty much with your list although Lloyd -Webber is more progressive than Triumvirat!
I think there is only room for one band like ELP.......Big smile

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 19:23

I didn't like much Kansas after the first 2 albums! They went too much 'AOR' with Leftoverture and beyond.How can any of that compare with Death of Mother Nature Suite or Song For America?

Can't argue with you too much although I think Mysteries and Mayhem/The Pinnacle off Masque are pretty good and maybe the best prog they ever recorded.  Then Miracles out of Nowhere and Magnus Opus on LO and one of my all time faves is Hoplessly Human off Point of No Return.  Check out PK though Richard you might like them better.  In fact Death of Mother Nature Suite was written by that Line up. As was Incomudru, Belexis, Apercu and Myriad. Oh, also if you like that particular era of Kansas check out the taped Kirshner shows on the Sail On dvd. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 19:35

Can't argue with you too much although I think Mysteries and Mayhem/The Pinnacle off Masque are pretty good and maybe the best prog they ever recorded.  Then Miracles out of Nowhere and Magnus Opus on LO and one of my all time faves is Hoplessly Human off Point of No Return.  Check out PK though Richard you might like them better.  In fact Death of Mother Nature Suite was written by that Line up. As was Incomudru, Belexis, Apercu and Myriad. Oh, also if you like that particular era of Kansas check out the taped Kirshner shows on the Sail On dvd. 

I never got Masque,maybe I'll give it a go.'Magnum Opus' just sounds like some odd bits and peices that have been stuck together.I suppose it is like ELP in a way so I should like it

kniprekcor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 20:06
just ELP
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 21:09

You'll come back to Marillion-I guarantee it.
Agree pretty much with your list although Lloyd -Webber is more progressive than Triumvirat!
I think there is only room for one band like ELP.......Big smile

MAN! This could almost be my top 5 prog artists!! now i know why richard snobs me (and me too!)LOL

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Gaston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 21:36

Actual worst prog (styx isn't prog so they can't be listed):

5. Pain of Salvation - gives me the creeps

4. Phil Collins - I mean, it's not the real him... when did invasion of the body snatchers come out, '78? Yeah that sounds about right...

3. Mostly everything from the 80's

2. Roger Waters - destroyed Pink Floyd from the inside and made horrible albums he would've made them make (thankfully that's why he's #2 and not #1) because

1. Everything that gets called prog that isn't. How many bands are #1 worst prog now? Tonnes on this website alone...

Gaston

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.
hightea View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 22:51

For the haters of Zappa and Tangerine Dream you actually hate them so much that you sat down and listened to all their albums to make sure you didn't miss one?

I can understand the young pup who doesn't like Genesis. If my first taste of Genesis was 1980's or Phil solo it could leave a bad enough taste in my ears to never be able to get over it.

Not sure I could answer this thread fairly because I would only list a band thats had at least four or five albums and with all the music I like I don't have the patience to sit thru 5 bad albums I just move on. I'm sure I'm missing some great albums because of it put that's life. Damn I listen to way many different types of music to dwell on sh*t from one gene like prog. If I was to guess what would be my least favorite it would be prog metal only because what I've heard I like very little.

Edited by hightea
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 23:39
Originally posted by hightea hightea wrote:

For the haters of Zappa and Tangerine Dream you actually hate them so much that you sat down and listened to all their albums to make sure you didn't miss one?

I can understand the young pup who doesn't like Genesis. If my first taste of Genesis was 1980's or Phil solo it could leave a bad enough taste in my ears to never be able to get over it.

Not sure I could answer this thread fairly because I would only list a band thats had at least four or five albums and with all the music I like I don't have the patience to sit thru 5 bad albums I just move on. I'm sure I'm missing some great albums because of it put that's life. Damn I listen to way many different types of music to dwell on sh*t from one gene like prog. If I was to guess what would be my least favorite it would be prog metal only because what I've heard I like very little.

Who can hate Zappa & TD and know most of their records? Certainly not me!

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
aqualung28 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 01:18
Styx
"O' lady look up in time o' lady look out of love
'n you should have us all
O' you should have us fall"
"Bill's Corpse" By Captain Beefheart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>