Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleepytime Gorilla Museum are they geniuses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 09:40
I'm pretty much in awe of SGM. To use an extended metaphor - "out of left field" doesn't even begin to describe their sound. More like "out of left solar system".

It's definitely "difficult" music, and not all of it is equal in brilliance, IMO... but the first 3 tracks of "Of Natural History" are among the most interesting things I've heard in music in a long time.

Having seen them live has certainly solidified my opinion of them. Until you actually see them perform, the sheer level of virtuosity doesn't really impact you fully, IMO.
Pure Brilliance:
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 19:36
Thats my problem and the problem of all their european fans we probably wont have the possibilitie in all of their carrer to see them where they're worth been heared and seen, in a live show...(sigh) oh well...

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 14:07
Why do these threads always end up being stupid?
As for "classical elitism," keep in mind that Mozart wrote 70 CDs worth of music all out by hand, most of it, at least, much more complex than Yes and written at a much younger age.

But just out of curiosity, Saasquamo, would you call any of your jazz heroes "genius"?

I like SGM a lot, although I wouldn't say they're the "best" because there isn't anything that is the "best" for me. Am I the only person who thinks of music in tiers of enjoyment? (Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 22:48
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

(Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)

Clap

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 14:19
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Why do these threads always end up being stupid?
As for "classical elitism," keep in mind that Mozart wrote 70 CDs worth of music all out by hand, most of it, at least, much more complex than Yes and written at a much younger age.

But just out of curiosity, Saasquamo, would you call any of your jazz heroes "genius"?

I like SGM a lot, although I wouldn't say they're the "best" because there isn't anything that is the "best" for me. Am I the only person who thinks of music in tiers of enjoyment? (Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)

Although a bit to drastic and... raw, you are right.
Comparing never leads to anything, there is no best, only favorites... except for King Crimson of courseWink
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
docsolar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:13
I really like SGM, from what I've heard...I haven't listened to the whole album "Of Natural History" yet, but I am acquiring it now, and should be listening in the next 2-3 days.

And as for classical music, it's largely the result of study, whereas rock music tends to be the result of expression and emotion, and I enjoy both disciplines. I think when both disciplines combine, it creates perfect music, and prog fits that bill often.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:20
Originally posted by LeInsomniac LeInsomniac wrote:

Thats my problem and the problem of all their european fans we probably wont have the possibilitie in all of their carrer to see them where they're worth been heared and seen, in a live show...(sigh) oh well...
They are starting to tour Europe, they did a couple of shows over there this year. Hopefully they will do a full tour.

Their live shows are spectacular, I've seen them twice.Tongue

Edited by king of Siam - July 08 2007 at 20:26
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:23
The new disc is quite fun. I'm not as awe-struck by them as some of you appear to be but they're not a bad band. =)
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 21:26
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is deserving of any praise given to them, they are really the perfect band.  The music has is so bold and deep, it's incredible.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 21:40
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

They are starting to tour Europe, they did a couple of shows over there this year. Hopefully they will do a full tour.

Lucky b*****d. Its impossible they´ll ever get to come to Argentina...CryCryCryCry
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 09:10
The problem is that their music is not commercial so until they start getting a big name and having means to go to other places more often i believe we'll have to wait some more 6 years and four albums. That's my prediction at leastTongue

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 19:36
They're one of my favorite avant-prog bands besides Mr Bungle, Samla Mammas Manna and Zappa.

Of Natural History is their best, but both their debut and their newest one are excellent!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 00:02
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

They are certainly masters of live performance. They put on one of the most fun shows i've been to.

TR!P View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 07:53
i first got into SGM when my friend gave me Of Natural History, and he was really scared that id hate it/get turned off by them, or not be able to apprieciate them first hand off

but it was the exact opposite, from the moment i pressed play till the end of the album i loved every bit of it

i would defo go as far as saying them music is genius

i jsut love the overall feeling of SGM, they seem so dedicated to it all, and really put so much effort into everything, even they'er physical albums packaging is great, and the artwork all over it and the themes running through them

the fact that they make most the instruments and use them to a level so elite'ly is another factor showing they'er talent

i must say, to me personly Of Natural History is defo they'er best work

then they'er first album which has some true gems, but i wish it didnt have those extra 3 tracks after Sunflower, because to me sunflower would be such a perfect ending track

i recently enough got In Glorious times, and sadly so far im not too much a fan of it, its slowly growing, but not to the extremes as the others have in the past, so far the pupper reinactment (prob wrong name) is my fav. id say

great great band
join communism
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 21:50
glad to see that there are a lot of people interested in SGM at least I know that this group is getting enough interest, but not enough...not enough...shame

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 11:27
They seem to be fascinating good to have bands like this that come along and push certain artistic boundaries because that's progress , I`m  not a fan but I recognise the importance of such creativity never the less
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 11:32
SG are probably my favorite modern prog band. I have seen them live three times and they never cease to amaze. I can't ait to see what they do next. I hope they have a long prosperous existence.
Wishbone Ash View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:52
Geniuses? I don't think soDisapprove
Elizabeth?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 20:09
Originally posted by Wishbone Ash Wishbone Ash wrote:

Geniuses? I don't think soDisapprove

C'mon, you come here and you just say that? At least tell us why?Shocked

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 20:17
I do believe SGM are geniuses. They use regular instrumetns as well as cutom devices, and just look at Of Natural History for a crytpic and unique take on concept albums (it outlines the De-Evolution theory of the original SGM made of intellectuals.) Sure, people like Zappa, Fripp, Zorn, and Patton are singular in their genius, but this is a band that splits the creative force of those greats amongst several. I can't wait to see where they go next, and I want to see them live SO badly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>