Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleepytime Gorilla Museum are they geniuses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2007 at 22:55
I don't know about genius...  but certainly "brilliant".  Zappa I truly believe to be a genius, however.  He is my all-time biggest hero.
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST."
-FZ
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 06:42
Originally posted by reality reality wrote:

Originally posted by docsolar docsolar wrote:

I really like SGM, from what I've heard...I haven't listened to the whole album "Of Natural History" yet, but I am acquiring it now, and should be listening in the next 2-3 days.

And as for classical music, it's largely the result of study, whereas rock music tends to be the result of expression and emotion, and I enjoy both disciplines. I think when both disciplines combine, it creates perfect music, and prog fits that bill often.

Both disciplines have combined? Where is that? Coming from the classical side prog is purely Pop music.

Anyway there are certifiable ways to ascertain a relative form of musical genius.  Music theorists along with musicologists and other historians have named only four in the past five hundred years (and none of them have come from this century so far),  so to say SGM are musical geniuses is a bit of a stretch. 

As we're only seven years into this century that's not too surprising Wink.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 06:59
Originally posted by reality reality wrote:

Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Who are the four?

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner.   Musical genius  = capacity of intellect.

In reletive terms these four are compared with Albert Einstein or Sir Issac Newton (very very rare).

Are SGM comparable in relative terms to have the intellectual capacity of Albert Einstein or Bach? I know a silly question but it is a silly thread.

In recent years there has been speculation that there is a fifth. A young man has been discovered in I believe the United States who has written five complete symphonies before the age of twelve. He has been recognized for his ability to "multi channel", that is to play five or so melodys in his head at the same time (Mozart could do seven). Whether this kid pans out I do not know, but so far nobody has seen this early potential for near two hundred years.

Genius is an overused word and usually used to promote people who do not meet the standard of the actual meaning. With that being said beyond the objective four masters a "learned" subjective speculation can be applied to others such as Mendelssohn or Saint-Sans but not to SGM or Frank Zappa.

Looks like these experts have confined their area of study to the German-speaking part of the world. Kinda understandable - but it just shows how incomplete such conclusions must be. 

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 20:57
My favorite band right now... well, after King Crimson... and old Yes... still, pretty high!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 00:35

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are one of my favorite newer bands.  Although i guess they really can't be considered that new anymore.

mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 20:30
Does anyone know where I can hear Old Grey Heron of Distinction without having to go to a concert?  I looked on youtube, and only half of the song is there.  OGH is the new song by SGM, btw, based on the death of Dan's father.  It sounds amazing (from what I've heard!!!).
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 02:55
Look, I don't mind people liking the band but please people, use the term genius sparingly. I wouldn't even call King Crimson geniuses. Miles Davis and John Coltrane might be geniuses. Stravinsky and Beethoven, I'm pretty sure were geniuses (though I like the music of Miles and Trane better). The point is, listen to SGM, they have some funky instrumentation, but genius is so far out of the question it's not even funny... actually it kind of is.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 16:35
^I don't think Miles or Coltrane were geniuses - smackheads, yes, geniuses, not really. Now Lennie Tristano - or even Bill Evans on the other hand... who were we originally talking about? Tongue
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 21:49
^ SGM, but who cares. Smackheads or not, Miles and Trane were brilliant mucisians. Bill Evans maybe he should have tried a little smack.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234